Thread: Cable vs. Direct TV vs. Dish vs. Other????

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar

Cable vs. Direct TV vs. Dish vs. Other????

Hey guys, just thought I'd get some opinions on here about where you guys get your TV/internet/phone service. Right now, I'm with Time Warner Cable and not liking it too much. We've had problems with our signal (had three different technicians out to the house about it, and think it's finally fixed) our boxes (got a new one right before Thanksgiving and has managed to crap out already) and now TWC is charging an extra charge per month just to have a box. (Like $9.99 I believe)

So how do YOU get your TV/internet/phone?? Bundle together? Separate them? Which major carrier do you like/dislike? Experiences?
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

I have DirecTV because of the NFL Sunday Ticket. I also like their interface and functionality more than the cable providers I've used. It helps that I live in a climate where the weather has never disrupted my service.

Cox Cable is the internet provider here. I'm very happy with them, its considerably faster than the Time Warner I had in LA.

I don't have a landline.

I have a tv/ internet/ phone bundle from my cable provider, Insight Communications. Overall I am happy with them, BUT I HATE that I can only DVR 2 shows at the same time (if the tv is off) OR watch 1 show and DVR 1 show at the same time. I am thinking about switching just because my favorite shows come on on Thursday nights around the same time and it causes problems.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

Master of New Adventures!
    We use DISH and I'm happy with it. Having kids, I like that I can record four (or is it five?) shows at the same time. My only complaint is that I'm tech-impaired, so it's been a bit of a learning curve for me switching from Direct-TV to Dish. In the year we've had it, weather's only affected it once and then only for a short time. We don't bundle because Kim insists that it's actually less expensive not to and she's a pit bull when it comes to saving a buck, so I listen to her. Excellent reception and they've got the BIG-10 network so I get all the Nebraska football games. Importantly -- at least in our home -- no complaints from our 13-year old, 10-year old or 4-year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    We use DISH and I'm happy with it. Having kids, I like that I can record four (or is it five?) shows at the same time.
    That is what I want...something that has the capability to record more than 2 shows.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

I have Whole Home DVR through Cox Communications as well as internet and home phone. I would never switch to any satelite providers for TV, and their internet is the fastest in the nation, by a huge leap. With Whole in my market you can get upto 7 dvr boxes which each can record 2 shows (so up to 14) at the same time, and then pull the shows to any tv in the house... and they are updating the boxes to record even more per box at a time very soon. You don't have to sign a contract like satelite, and the price is actually less than, equivilant services from competitors. And if you happen to somehow still miss a show, you can use their On-Demmand to watch it the next day for free on 90% of their programming... basically everything but CBS.

However, I do hear that Time Warner sucks, so if I was in their market I don't know what I would do honestly... since I have seen how bad Dish and directv can be for product service, customer service and the way they install the stuff on your home. Not to mention those dishes make houses look trashy IMO.
    Last edited by Rain; November 29, 2012 at 05:21pm.
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I have a tv/ internet/ phone bundle from my cable provider, Insight Communications. Overall I am happy with them, BUT I HATE that I can only DVR 2 shows at the same time (if the tv is off) OR watch 1 show and DVR 1 show at the same time. I am thinking about switching just because my favorite shows come on on Thursday nights around the same time and it causes problems.
    That is what I want...something that has the capability to record more than 2 shows.
    I just looked online and my cable provider has a multiroom DVR that can record 6 shows at one time and you can watch them from any room in the house for only $10/month. I think I will give them a call

Wow, thanks for the input, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    I have Whole Home DVR through Cox Communications as well as internet and home phone. I would never switch to any satelite providers for TV, and their internet is the fastest in the nation, by a huge leap. With Whole in my market you can get upto 7 dvr boxes which each can record 2 shows (so up to 14) at the same time, and then pull the shows to any tv in the house... and they are updating the boxes to record even more per box at a time very soon. You don't have to sign a contract like satelite, and the price is actually less than, equivilant services from competitors. And if you happen to somehow still miss a show, you can use their On-Demmand to watch it the next day for free on 90% of their programming... basically everything but CBS.

However, I do hear that Time Warner sucks, so if I was in their market I don't know what I would do honestly... since I have seen how bad Dish and directv can be for product service, customer service and the way they install the stuff on your home. Not to mention those dishes make houses look trashy IMO.
    That's the dilemna. I do live in a cold/windy area, so I AM a little nervous switching but man, we've had sooo many problems with TWC that I'm ready for something else. Maybe I'll try giving Cox a call. Thanks so much, man.

Power-Con/ThunderCon

I just looked online and my cable provider has a multiroom DVR that can record 6 shows at one time and you can watch them from any room in the house for only $10/month. I think I will give them a call
    I just gave my cable company a call and that $10/month quickly turned into $29/month. Sigh.

I have TWC and I hate them. They added a new charge for a router. How kind

I'm not sure what the answer is. Since we have wicked winters here I dont want dish or something like that. However, I have thought about knocking it down to just a simple package.

I do call every year or so and tell them its too high and that I need to lower my bill. They always lower it by 10 bucks or so, which isn't too bad, but paying 116.00 for cable/internet seems a bit much, and I dont have any bells or whistles.

One guy at work got rid of his cable and watches stuff via hulu by attaching it to his tv via computer and also does Netflix. Hes saving a ton an ddoesnt miss traditional cable TV.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I have TWC and I hate them. They added a new charge for a router. How kind
    Yeah, isn't that nice of them? Merry Christmas, you owe an extra $10 a month just for having one of our piece of crap routers....

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    One guy at work got rid of his cable and watches stuff via hulu by attaching it to his tv via computer and also does Netflix. Hes saving a ton an ddoesnt miss traditional cable TV.
    That's a good idea. How does he watch local channels though?

Power-Con/ThunderCon

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Local channels, {E.G. the ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, etc. affiliates} are still available over the air, just attach an antenna to your television using the coaxial port. (you will likely have to tell the T.V. to search for channels after this so it knows the channels are viewable).

Bigger antennas mean better signal capture, but if you just want to try it out rabbit ears, of varying styles, are still widely available and you should be able to pick up a set inexpensively. If you live in a city chances you're close enough to the stations that rabbit ears may be all you need to pick up the local stations.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; December 4, 2012 at 02:48pm.

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    Yeah, isn't that nice of them? Merry Christmas, you owe an extra $10 a month just for having one of our piece of crap routers....

That's a good idea. How does he watch local channels though?
    He doesnt seem to have a problem with stations, I am unsure if he has a box or not, but he does get the local channels in digital format. I do know he still gets internet from them.

I also know his internet is hooked up to his tv so he can stream netflix onto his TV and watch it that way. They ahve all kinds of crazy devices now for that sorta thing.

There was a recent study done that shows that Gen X and babyboomers are pretty much the only ones who use cable. The younger generations don't and tend to watch TV via their computer, or tv shows rather.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I have an indoor flat digital antenna hooked up to my tv. I pull in NBC, Bounce, PBS, FOX, CBS, CW, ION, RetroTV, and Qubo. Only major network I can't seem to pull in is ABC.

With the new digital over the air signals I get all those channels in 1080p for FREE. Antenna only set me back $30.

Cancelled my insight cable bill and now save $90 a month.

Master of New Adventures!
    Bend over, cable subscribers. Your provider has a very merry Christmas present for you: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cabl...-fee-1C7476067

I have my PS3 setup with Netflix and Hulu Plus, 8 bucks a month each, I do not miss cable at all
    Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone... But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place... a town... a house like a lot of other houses... A yard like a lot of other yards... On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is... After all these years, I still look back with wonder...

We have Dish and were more than happy to get rid of Time Warner. I cannot express how much I hated Time Warner Cable. Their personnel were rude and their DVR never recorded the shows that we wanted. Over the summer we got Dish and I couldn't be happier. I love the NFL Ticket and their selection of pay-per-view movies is good.