Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The official World War Z thread

Master of New Adventures!

The official World War Z thread

Brad Pitt's filming the $125 million zombie film, World War Z in Scotland, to be released in December 2012 (that's 2012; not 2011). So much for anyone who thought zombies had peaked and jumped the shark.

And yes, I get that the film's getting some advance criticism from zombie fans, but the fact that the studio's putting a hundred and twenty-five million into a film with a A-list star that won't premiere for another year kinda indicates their teams of researchers and focus groups leads meto believe not only have zombies not peaked, but they're here to stay.

well it can't be any worse then Zombieland or the Walking Dead or any of the Romero movies

man they were all BORING
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I thought I read in passing that fans were ticked because it wasn't sticking to the book material. I just sighed. Don't **** off fanboys.

Why would anyone think Zombies have jumped the shark? It seems to be a growing trend in my library, for my guys anyway. They like the gore. Now, there was a zomibie romance novel that the girls dont' like so much, however that is being made into a movie as well.

I guess body parts rotting and falling off aren't as sexy as victorian vampires. Oh well.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I love the book and as a fanboy, I have no problem with changes. I want a new good zombie flick!

You know what I'd like to see? A decent medieval zombie movie. I always thought the recorded encounter in the Survival Guide about the castle full of zombies locked up in it would make a good creepy flick. Better yet, a TV series with an hour show each week featuring a different zombie short story.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Cool! I didn't know they were making a movie. Are they just making something new and slapping the name on it, or are they taking various stories from the book?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Zombieland was so overrated. I think it was because people seem to like Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eiesenberg. The first 5 minutes of the movie were okay... then I checked out.

I'm a fan of zombie films, but nothing has been worth a rewatch in a long time. I was looking forward to an animated film titled A.D, but haven't heard much buzz about it.

As much as I love Brad Pitts work (Seven, Fight Club, Snatch, Benjamin Button) and used to find him incredibly sexy, but I'm so sick of Brangelina. I can't avoid their pictures enough. So we will have to see how this does.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; August 16, 2011 at 03:22am.

HD figures on youtube
    Heh, I love both Zombieland & Walking Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I thought I read in passing that fans were ticked because it wasn't sticking to the book material. I just sighed. Don't **** off fanboys.

Why would anyone think Zombies have jumped the shark? It seems to be a growing trend in my library, for my guys anyway. They like the gore. Now, there was a zomibie romance novel that the girls dont' like so much, however that is being made into a movie as well.

I guess body parts rotting and falling off aren't as sexy as victorian vampires. Oh well.
    I'm with you. I've heard "jumped the shark" from a few people that are not in the know. I think their feeling is that once something hits the mainstream that it will peter out quickly. Obviously this is not the case here as zombies have become ubiquitous. My twelve-year old Alex and his friends spend two or three hours a day destroying various zombie types in a variety of video games and that's a good indication in itself.

I would, however, appreciate input from others as to their feelings about what was once a genre but it now mainstream. I'm not looking for an analysis of different films, but rather an overall impression about where zombies are heading and how orgers think zombies will far in the future. Obviously, I've a reason for asking.

Heroic Warrior
    This is awesome! Thanks for the news. I'll be following this closely.
    Xbox Gamer tag: Darkbanshe
    Wish list: New Adventures toys loose or carded toys, SDCC color change orko, Masters of the universe magazines, grayskull stands, weapons pack one, 200x battle cat and panthor, vintage castle grayskull, snake moutain, and vintage vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringalicious View Post
    This is awesome! Thanks for the news. I'll be following this closely.
    From your passionate reply, am I safe to assume you're a true zombie fan?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Brad Pitt's filming the $125 million zombie film, World War Z in Scotland

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I'm wondering if they'll be serving haggis instead of hotdogs in the theaters.

Btw, SO I MARRIED AN AXE MURDERED is in my top ten fav comedies.
    S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!

They just finished filming over the past weekend in Falmouth in Cornwall there were here for 2 to 3 weeks. So no haggis but plenty of Cornish Pasties. A load of my friends from work were extra's in it. There was an open call that went out over local radio. My friends were all zombies and had a blast.
    Last edited by Angel-T; August 16, 2011 at 02:48pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    They just finished filming over the past weekend in Falmouth in Cornwall there were here for 2 to 3 weeks. So no haggis but plenty of Cornish Pasties. A load of my friends from work were extra's in it. There was an open call that went out over local radio. My friends were all zombies and had a blast.
    Very cool!

Any pictures you can post from them?

Evil Master of Warcraft
    WWZ is my favorite zombie book.

Zombieland and Walking Dead are both great.

I'm looking forward to another good zombie movie.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Official WORLD WAR Z Thread

Well WORLD WAR Z is coming and it's going to be huge -- as in 'huge success' or 'huge bomb'. I'm hearing guesstimates of the budget being between $125 million and $185 million. Anyone that thinks zombies have peaked ought to consider that a studio does an enormous amount of research and conducts countless focus groups before it invests that kind of money in a film. (As an aside, the zombie industry generated $5 billion in revenues in 2011.)

The film is presently slated to be released on June 21, 2013. There's been a lot of buzz comparing the film to the novel -- not all of it good.

I'd like to hear what orgers specifically think of this project and the future of zombies in general. Feel free to post trailers and 411, and have at each other. After all, ripping each other limb from limb is a part of the zombie culture.

Another zombie movie...

Great

Just what the world needs... more zombies.

Wonderful

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I loved the book. It was really good. From what I can tell from the trailer it doesn't seem like the book. This makes me worried.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I loved the book! It's an innovative and interesting take on zombie apocalypse. But I agree with GeologyMule that the trailer looks nothing like the book and it makes me worried too. IMO, the perfect visual medium for this book would be a pseudo-documentary. Like those history specials where witnesses/experts sit in a studio and talk and then they cut to dramatization/historical footage. Or, maybe something like Band of Brothers, where they put veterans talking at the beginning/end. Something like that...

As wolfsfang pointed out, the market is so over-saturated with zombie stuff and it seems like the movie has taken away the innovative and unique perspective the book had.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think Brad Pitt really resonates with Adult Males as being an action star. I also think people don't like the sprinting maniac being portrayed as a zombie. I think it will break $100,000,000.00, but not by much.

I watched the trailer and honestly I felt like I had seen it all before. From the fast moving zombies to the man trying to keep his family safe to the army looking pretty ineffective against the innumerable hordes of the undead. It all seemed so familiar. Heck even the part in the trailer where a guy (in this case a cop) is in the middle of saying something to the heroes family before suddenly getting hit by some vehicle...seems very cliched to me.

That's what it looks like to me...every modern zombie movie + action film cliche put together in one movie.

Personally I want to see a BIG budget werewolf movie. A movie where New York or somewhere gets overrun by ravenous, bloodthirsty lycanthropes (I mean hundreds, if not thousands, of them). Now that I would LOVE to see.

28 Days Later had fast moving zombies. And it also had inefficient army (well, more like "let's band together in our little group and don't care about anyone else" kind of army). But that movie was pretty good.

To be more clear, 28 Days Later "zombies" were actually living humans infected with some form of rabies, which is (more or less) the case in World War Z, too. That is why they are so fast, and act like "sprinting maniacs".

I must admit, I do like the visual effect they have going on with the zombies. It’s something different. It’s a refreshing change from the usual way that zombies are depicted. I've never read the book, so when I watch this I'll just be judging it as a film rather than as an adaptation.

Anyway, it hasn't been posted in the thread yet. Here's the trailer:

As expected, the trailer was nothing special.

Zombies = Boring

I also agree with wolfsfang, it's been way to long since a good werewolf movie was made.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I also like Lycans, but it is quite hard to nail an aspect that doesn't make them look like a film version of Coyote Willie. Last Werewolf with Del Toro was just meh

I did not read the book, and the waves of zombies look cool, although I'd like to see something different also
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread