Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (12/1/2012)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (12/1/2012)

Infinite Hollywood

1. Obviously you can’t reveal too much, but between some quick sell outs for certain figures and the success of Castle Grayskull pre-orders, is the MOTUC line looking “healthy” again? Obviously the line isn’t perhaps as popular as it was a few years ago, but there seemed to be an awful lot of doom and gloom earlier in the year. Are things starting to look up and is MOTUC on track to be still considered successful enough for Mattel to keep it going?

As long as we get the min number of sub holders each year it is doing just fine. As of now, we are planning the Aug 2013 release(s) and are starting to look into what a 2014 line could look like. Our goal is to get two more years (2014 and 2015) to try and “wrap up” the essential figs. It doesn’t mean 2015 is “the end” but it gives us an achievable goal, using years beyond that to possibly fill any holes through convention or special offerings if we can’t continue the sub due to rising costs and other factors.

2. It’s too early to know for sure, but if Castle Grayskull proves to be a big success, would Mattel potentially consider add-on packs? Stuff like the weapons rack (which has already been produced) but things that might could help dress up the castle? Alternate rooms or gear, as an example.

Yes, we could potentially look at this but no plans right now.

3. Castle Grayskullman turned out to be a huge hit. Arguably one of the best selling MOTUC figures in recent years. His fast sellouts were something of a surprise to many fans. We know that no figures were supposed to be re-released, but could he potentially be an exception if fan demand was high enough?

Definitely not. As a 30th anniversary figure he is special for 2012 and won’t be re run.

4. The Temple of Darkness Sorceress was announced as going on sale in December. She showed up in November’s Black Friday sale. She sold out. Is there still stock for a December sale or is she not going to come up for grabs again?

No, she is completely sold out at this point. We moved her up to Nov due to both Granamyr and Procrustus slipping to Dec (Granamyr was supposed to be Sept). Shipping dates are always subject to change.
    Preternia.com

Q: Now that Grayskull is a go and went above the minimum, is a yearly playset out of question? Snake Mountain for next year?

A: No, a yearly playset is not in the works. Right now we are just looking at the Castle.

Q: Is the extended order period something you are considerring for the subscription sales for 2014? Like possibly after we reach the minimum have a certain number of preorders still open a month or two later?

A: Yes, we are looking into whether we can offer this. We may open up the sub BEFORE SDCC knowing you won’t see the first few figures however until the show. You’ll just know the “slots” and price points to order early.

Q: Does the Grayskull project help tooling dollars towards other MOTUC ventures or is it strictly a self-contained project?

A: It is 100% self contained.

Q: Castle Grayskullman sold out really quickly this month, will we ever see him again?

A: Definitely not. He is special for the 30th and won’t be released again.

Q:Now that the 30th sub is over, I kinda miss it. Any chances of a new concept, filmation, or anything addon sub for 2013?

A: Nothing to announce right now!
    Elkkthunderstoyroom.com

1- Does the success of Grayskull allow for other vehicles/playsets? When might we know?

No. Right now we are just concentrating on the Castle. We don't have plans for more vehicles or playsets right now.

2- When will leftover TOD Sorceress be available? Will it be in December on the regular sale day so we can combine shipping with Granamyr?

We moved TOD Sorceress from Dec to Black Friday due to both Granamyr and Procrustus slipping to Dec. She is 100% sold out at this point. On sale dates are always subject to change

3- Is it possible that a line like the mini-masters could be produced under the pre-order model like Grayskull?

Possible sure. Happening now, no.
    Kastor’s Korner

Kastor’s Korner: Given how well Mattel did with Castle Grayskull preorders, are Snake Mountain or other playsets being considered now, or not until after Castle Grayskull is released and final orders and payments have been tallied?

Mattel: Not at this time. We are putting all our energy into the Castle right now.

Kastor’s Korner: Why was Cy-Chop’s studded belt fully painted underneath when it was completely covered with an orange belt? Couldn’t that paint application cost be applied to lost paint applications like Frosta, or is each figure individually costed out?

Mattel: Each figure is individually costed. Losing paint from one fig does not give it to another. Each figure has to hit their financial targets.
    MOTULA.Org

About the sword of He: we know it was brought to Eternia by Ro, but then 2 questions arise: a) Was Ro the first bearer of the sword (no mention of who carried it before)? b) What power had the sword of He before Grayskull infused his power into it?

Ready for it: Keep reading the bios!

Now that we have Great Rebellion stickers, are there any chances to see a character from that group in 2013? (100% Filmation character not necessarily POP).

If you mean will you see members of the Great Rebellion in 2013? Yes. We already announced Netossa and their will be at least one more!

to scott ,MOTUC off-question what is your opinion on the motu DC comics so far?

From Scott:
    I love what they are doing with the MOTU stories! So cool to see so many different interpretations and concepts being brought to life by the talented folks at DC!"

Does the box of castle Grayskull will be gigantic or you will do a maneuver like granamyr?

It will be pretty big.
    Greatrebellion.org

Rock-Vivien asks: The Great Black Wizard introduced in the bio of Draego-Man is appearing in the 3rd Mini Comic. He looks awesome and I love new characters. Who has created the concept of him? Is it Scott Neitlich, Wellinton Alves, or somebody else?

Matty:We suppose you can say the concept was created by Scott but the visual was created by Wellinton. And incidentally, Draego Man's bio was written late in the game, he was not part of the 2009 master bios. How and when the Great Black Wizard would have shown up in the bios outside of Draego will be revealed in time!

Jason Zachery asks: If something as large as Castle Grayskull is a success, is it possible to see a pre order system for some figures out of sub using a pre order system, as a way to get to more characters. For instance two packs of NA, Son of He-man or POP? Or it might be a great way to get to the mini characters too.

Matty: It is always possible but we just don’t have plans right now.

Sean Chizmar asks: So far both of the "Traveling Exclusives" have been repaints of already existing figures and a diorama piece, is this slot going to be the way we get fan demanded repaint?

Matty:For 2012 and 2013 it is. What will happen in 2014 is too far off at this point. We don't even know if we will have a traveling figure that year. We are just too far off.

Telkan 2 asks: Can you tell us more about the Horde robot (who looks suspiciously like one of Hordak's transformed bodies from the Filmation series) that is fighting alongside the heroic factions in the third Ultimate Battleground comic?

Matty: Sure. His name is Spin Whiz and he is a Horde hunter robot that was captured and reprogrammed by the Masters.

Ealo Krill asks: A lot of european MOTU fans took the plunge and ordered a Castle Grayskull despite shipping and subsequent customs charges being so high. Is there any chance an EU distribution center may be up by the time CG ships?

Matty:No, we do not have plans for a EU distribution center. This is a very similar situation to when American fans want Japanese toys. Import fees are just part of the hobby. We wish we could make every item work for every customer and every buying habit but that just isn't always possible.
    Mintconditioncustom.com

Nathan asks: Since Castle Grayskull far exceeded the pre-order minimum, are you already writing up your pitch for the Snake Mountain pre-order for management, or do you have to wait until next December after Castle Grayskull has already gone on sale?

Right now we are concentrating on the Castle.
    musclor.org

1 - Hi Scott; first, thanks for the amazing Castle Grayskull opportunity which brings me
    to the following question: Can we expect Mattel to only focus on oversized items (Beasts) and more complexe bucks (Blast Attack, Multi-bot etc). just an idea as i remember you talking about a much higher budget provided for the yearly event. Cheers! By Glen

TG : Our goal is to get out as many important characters as possible regardless of the tooling or complexity. We can often "bank" more highly tooled figures like Ram Man with other less tooling intensive figures like Clamp Champ in an overall annual program.

2 - How do you see the line in the near future? By Pascal

TG : As long as fans are supporting the line and buying product we hope to keep it going. One day it will likely get to the point that it costs more to make these figures than fans are willing to pay.

3 - Will we ever get the chance to have Stridor & Nightmare as quarterly beast in the collection? By Jerry

TG :We hope so. No plans right now but they would be cool.

4 - Could we have a clue of the next 50$ character. By Jordan

TG : We'll be revealing this likely at NYTF.

5 - It seems that Prahvus is larger than a standard MOTU character.
    Could you please specify if you plan to make him with a regular base body or not? And here are my personal suggestions for a MOTUC Prahvus: For me standard body is ok; His tattoos should be like Zodak but glowing in the dark; He must come with his Gauntlet and his shoulder pad; He should have a nice weapon invented by the 4 Horsemen; He should be a relative to "Goat Man"; A connection with the Great Black Wizard within the bio would be neat (Big Fan of the Great Wizard also); He could be released with Odiphus in a 2-pack. By Vivien

TG : He would not be larger. Remember, in MOTUC we are using the vintage MOTU size scale. Take Beastman for example. The stylistic elements of 200X made him a little larger, but bringing him back to Classics we went with his original vintage scale. So if we did get to Pravhus he would be in the standard 6" scale. The "larger scale" of some figures like Clawful, Beastman, Whiplash, etc were stylistic elements of the 200X series and are not elements included in Classics.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sites listed below are the sites who want to participate in the Q&A round-up in these threads and on the He-Man.org homepage news entry.
    Be sure to check out their sites! There's a lot there to see in addition to the Q&As.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...teternia.de%2F
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...skorner.com%2F
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...om%2Fhordak.de
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...univers.org%2F
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...llywood.com%2F
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...w.he-man.de%2F
    ElkkThunders Toy Room
    MOTUClassics.com
    MOTULA.org
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/....preternia.com
    www.mintconditioncustom.com/
    greatrebellion.org
    toyhypeusa.com
    musclor.org

All other sites haven't gotten back to us yet about participating, or have asked not to be included which we completely understand and respect.
    So, please do not post the actual questions and answers from any site not listed above.
    But you are welcome to post a direct link to their Q&A, and discuss the info here in this thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 9, 2012 at 07:38am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Hmm at least one more Great Rebellion member...

Here are my top 3 guesses:

1: Madam Razz and Broom as the SDCC exclusive.
    2: Castaspella
    3: Glimmer (maybe with Kowl, maybe not). Glimmer would be my first pick, but my gut tells me that she will come in early 2014.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Razz and Broom with Kowl for SDCC! That'd rock!!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Hmm at least one more Great Rebellion member...

Here are my top 3 guesses:

1: Madam Razz and Broom as the SDCC exclusive.
    sorry but I'd personally rather have something better as the SDCC exclusive.
    Just my opinion though

Temple of Darkness Sorceress moved from December to November without pre warning isn´t very customer friendly, if you ask me.

I can´t complain, i got mine(no shipping confirmation yet but that will come...soon, i hope) but others maybe thought oh well she most likely be back in December....

I heard...actually read the rumor somewhere on the forum that Castaspella is the next POP figure. She wouldn´t be my next choice as i am a huge Glimmer fan but she would show everyone how they will tackle the problem with the flowing hair and stuff coming from the back like Peekablue, Angella, Perfuma, Sweet Bee or Flutterina.

I have a feeling SDCC is going to be epic this year... something vintage and awesome! Niki, where did you hear that rumor about Castaspella?
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    I have a feeling SDCC is going to be epic this year... something vintage and awesome! Niki, where did you hear that rumor about Castaspella?
    People discussed who will be the second POP character in 2013 and here is the link:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...light=POP+2013

No I dnt think castaspella is next....im sure the next one will be one that katie perry would like.

Quote Originally Posted by The BLAY View Post
    sorry but I'd personally rather have something better as the SDCC exclusive.
    Just my opinion though
    At least you could skip her if you didn't want her, rather than Razz being a sub figure.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    No I dnt think castaspella is next....im sure the next one will be one that katie perry would like.
    Oh that would be amazing!
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Katy Perry likes what now?
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Peekablue, because she's like a Peacock?

Glimmer, because she's like a Firework?

Spinnerella, because, for most people, she's The One That Got Away?

There's more, but I'm lazy LOL
    ~RK
    ".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

Hey if Katy Perry can intervene to get us Glimmer in 2013, I'll heart her even more

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Razz and Broom with Kowl for SDCC! That'd rock!!
    I concur. And I think we're getting at least Razz and Broom.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki
    I heard...actually read the rumor somewhere on the forum that Castaspella is the next POP figure
    I wonder where you heard/read that?

I would guess that the "at least one" means something outside of the standard sub

Not SDCC though... at least I'd guess.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

ToD Sorceress going on sale a month early without any heads up makes me mad.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Madame Razz & Broom, Castaspella, or Glimmer would be great. I'll take any of the three at this point.

Heroic Warrior
    "our goal is to get two more years (2014 and 2015) to try and “wrap up” the essential figs."

I really wish they wouldn't put out, if this *IS* the case, "concept" figures that take up slots that could otherwise be used by another character. I mean, I know there are people that really liked King Randor in his Filmation style, but as we already HAD a Randor, I feel that this should have been some other Filmation character. I mean, with as many good ones as they now have access to, they decided to go with him?
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    I kissed a Rebel and I liked it
    The taste of her cherry lipstick
    I kissed a Rebel just to try it
    I hope The Horde don't mind it
    It felt so wrong
    It felt so right
    Don't mean I'm in love tonight
    I kissed a Rebel and I liked it
    I liked it

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    At least you could skip her if you didn't want her, rather than Razz being a sub figure.
    this is true.
    I'd still prefer the SDCC offering to be something a little bit better.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I wonder where you heard/read that?

I would guess that the "at least one" means something outside of the standard sub

Not SDCC though... at least I'd guess.
    All the teasing around the "out-of-the-sub" surprises for 2013 makes me so eager to find out more... I suppose we'll see more than 2 POP characters in 2013 then!!!!
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Greatrebellion.org's questions and answers are now up! Thanks Kelly!

Is the Spin Whiz answer a joke or is he serious
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Yeah... "Spin Whiz"?
    Eish
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I would like this scenario:

(1)Glimmer (W/Kowl as an accessory fig)

(2)Castaspella as SDCC exclusive (w/Madame Razz and broom as an accessory fig)

(3)Angella (w/Loo-Kee acc. figure) 2014

*Castaspella would be like orko in that she would be the main fig, and Madame would be the 'Adam' extra figure in the pack.