Thread: Black Face Skeletor

Black Face Skeletor

I'm sorry, if a thread about this topic already exists, but I couldn't find it.

So I have this awesome Skeletor in my collection:

It's a soft-headed Spain Skeletor with a black head. It doesn't look as if someone had removed the color.
    The black plastic is shining violet if you put it in front of a strong lamp.
    My childhood-Skeletor-head has not much of his colors left, but this head isn't translucent at all.

I know that there are more examples of this "Black Face Skeletor", I held two of them in my own hands.
    I don't believe in a fake. A friend of mine owns the other example I know since 1999. That was a time, when MotU-collecting was not so "in" and I think a fake at this time wouldn't have brought a lot of money.

So what we've got here?
    A testshot? A production mistake?

Why are there a few of them?

What are your opinions?

Thanks for any replies!

- - - Updated - - -

Any comments or opinions on this topic?

Does anybody know anything about this figure?
    Any suggestions or opinions?

Court Magician
    never seen one, but it does look cool!

Maybe the paint just faded away, because they didn't use a good, lasting paint. What I collect is mostly rotoplast, and to this day I haven't seen a single He-man harness with surviving red paint. In fact sometimes the easiest giveaway to tell if a figure is really is rotoplast it's just that, the lack of paint. I was about to buy a figure based on that and it turned out to be a beaten Usa version, I only collect Usa versions in good condition!, with rotoplast you take what you can get; point is, it can happen to figures on which they used better paint.

Then again, if in none of the skeletor figures that you have seen has the single slightest trace of paint (like say hidden in a corner), then I think it's a variant.

If only on figure like this were known, I'd say it's production error, but three, seems too much.

My two cents, just guessing, I could be wrong.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    Does he have year & country of origin stamp on his back?

Edit: just seen that it's spain.
    Last edited by skelehorde; December 20, 2012 at 12:04am.
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

Quote Originally Posted by Romer View Post
    Maybe the paint just faded away, because they didn't use a good, lasting paint. What I collect is mostly rotoplast, and to this day I haven't seen a single He-man harness with surviving red paint. In fact sometimes the easiest giveaway to tell if a figure is really is rotoplast it's just that, the lack of paint. I was about to buy a figure based on that and it turned out to be a beaten Usa version, I only collect Usa versions in good condition!, with rotoplast you take what you can get; point is, it can happen to figures on which they used better paint.

Then again, if in none of the skeletor figures that you have seen has the single slightest trace of paint (like say hidden in a corner), then I think it's a variant.

If only on figure like this were known, I'd say it's production error, but three, seems too much.

My two cents, just guessing, I could be wrong.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

That's what I'm worrying since I first saw one of these Black Face Skeletors: why isn't here any color left in his face.
    There were quite a few discussions in german fan-forums over the years. Some people think that it is possible to remove all the color without damaging the plastik.
    If one could find a way to do so, the there is the other question, why my childhood-Skeletor, which misses a lot of color in his face, isn't transluscent at all.

The point you mentionened with the color on the rotoplast figures is quite an interesting one. But I find it hard to believe that this could happen to a multi-colored head as well as an armor with only red paint on it.
    And with the colors fading, then there should be Black Face-Skeletors-MOCs too?!

In my personal opinion this is an testshot. The only parts that were colored are the boots. When I look at the MotUC-testshots, there are usually more than 1 testshot for each figure, so maybe that explains, why there are a few BF Skeletors around there.

Maybe this mystery can never be solved...

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    As far as i know there is no such variant, the paint was washed off probably with some chemical , this can be done without leaving any or little trace. I will confirm against my spanish skeletor if it's head is opaque black or dark purple like yours, in the meanwhile, you can take the head off and show us a picture of the copyright underneath it

Quote Originally Posted by Polygonus View Post
    The point you mentionened with the color on the rotoplast figures is quite an interesting one. But I find it hard to believe that this could happen to a multi-colored head as well as an armor with only red paint on it.
    Actually, I have seen pictures of rotoplast Stratos with no paint at all left on it (and it has two colors, gray and flesh), and skeletors with almost no paint, but I have never seen a rotoplast Skeletor with zero paint on its face.

http://www.nuevadominion.com/eternia/foro/index.php

That's a forum in spanish dedicated to motu, the name suggests it's for the Spanish line "masters del universo", but people from other Spanish speaking countries frequent it, maybe you can check there for pictures and such. Personally I'm not a member, but maybe the answer could be found there.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    As far as i know there is no such variant, the paint was washed off probably with some chemical , this can be done without leaving any or little trace. I will confirm against my spanish skeletor if it's head is opaque black or dark purple like yours, in the meanwhile, you can take the head off and show us a picture of the copyright underneath it
    I just checked my head of my childhood-Skeletor and there really is a copyright on it. I lifted the head of my Black Face Skeletor a little bit, just so far, that I could see the place where I expected the copyright. But I wasn't able to find any copyright on him.
    So is that the proof, that we have a fake here?
    Does every MotU-figur does have this copyright under its head?

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    There's no paint to damage so why not pop off the head and take a picture? Should be fairly easy, I will check mine for copyright tomorrow when I get home
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    I dunno, but it looks cool and I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    There's no paint to damage so why not pop off the head and take a picture? Should be fairly easy, I will check mine for copyright tomorrow when I get home
    I'm not a fan of popping-off vintage-heads. I had some difficulties in the past to put some heads back on the figures.
    But I wanted to make some fotos and show you the copyright of my childhood-Skeletor-head in comparison to the black face skeletor-head. But I'm afraid my digi-cam isn't able to shoot fotos so close to objects. I wasn't able to shoot such fotos for you.
    So I'm afraid you'll have to believe my words, that there is no copyright on the head.

Widget
    I also have a Black Head Skeletor, and it's great. The head is black, but violet from the inside, so it shines nice on the light, and it doesn't have to be a strong light...you can easily see in daylight.
    Last edited by E-Lusive; April 5, 2013 at 09:58am.

I have seen testshots that have heads like that a few times, there is one in ebay right now.

Can't tell if that would be the case here or if it is a true variant without seeing a mint on card that looks like that.