Thread: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Official Thread

Hybrid View

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Official Thread

So Netflix added the original Power Rangers (and the spin offs) to its library and I found myself watching it again. Wow, I remember as a kid thinking this show was dreadfully cheesy, and going back to it now, I honestly don't know how I made it through 4 seasons and a movie, and an SNES game.

The bizarre 90s soundtrack, coupled with awkward voice overs from the young American actors (of the original Japanese footage) was laughable. The combat dialogue was ridiculous and the entire premise was just crazy. Dinosaurs, robots, power crystals, martial arts, monsters, demons, aliens, sorceresses, and high school. What a mess! Alpha was excruciating to watch! He was like the love child of C-3P0 and Orko.

The monsters were nuts. I remember enjoying some of the earlier creatures like King Sphinx and Madame Woe, then game a menagerie of beasts belched from the bowels of some bizarre children's nursery rhyme book. Virtually every episode followed the same formula. Monster shows up. Rangers fight. Monster gets blasted to giant city stomping format. Rangers get into Zords, stomp monster. The end.

Yet still, it has some charm to it. The original cast were great for a group of virtual unknowns. Who didn't want to hang out with Zach (Walter Jones)? Do math homework with Billy (David Yost)? Or take a karate lesson from (swoon over gorgeous) Jason (Austin St.John)? I'm sure a few guys around here gave Trini (Thuy Trang) or Kimberly (Amy Jo Johnson) a second glance.

Somehow I managed to hang in there to see the Tommy, the Green Ranger, (Jason Frank) who kind of stole the spotlight from the Red Ranger, and eventually the White Ranger. At least thats how I felt about it at the time. What happened after that, I don't remember. Oh wait, at some point Goldar's face was given a massive visual update. That was cool. I think he was my favorite villain. While I do recall some of the martial arts sequences being surprisingly cool for a television budget, its hard to choke down with all the bad humor. Maybe this thread will bring together some other fans together.

... oh wait now I know why I watched this... His name was Austin St. John, the Red Ranger
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 4, 2012 at 01:21am.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    It made it through many seasons and movies because it is an awesome show. Sure, the Americanized aspect is cheesy and poorly acted, but the Sentai footage is what sells the show.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    I was 12 when it first came out and did preferred Sonic SatAM and other stuff but still liked Power Rangers, oh man i had a crush on Kim and thought she was gorgeous.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I was 12 when it first came out and did preferred Sonic SatAM and other stuff but still liked Power Rangers, oh man i had a crush on Kim and thought she was gorgeous.
    I liked SOnic, but yeah, in 93, Power Rangers stole my love away from Transformers. I was all about Power Rangers until Beast Wars came out in 96, and then PR started to lose my interest during PRIS and it was PRLG where I stopped watching every episode as it aired. And then I started buying DVDs and downloading fansubs of Sentai series in the early 2000s and got back into it and Kamen Rider. Now once again, they are two of my top favorite series while Transformers has driven down a road I no longer care to follow.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

I doubt I'll ever venture into the other incarnations of Power Rangers. I gave them a quick preview, and while they actually seemed a lot less cheesy and far less dated than the 1993 series, I don't think I'm ready to experience Turbo, Wildforce or S.P.D

I guess I'm just looking at it for the pure nostalgia. Its kind of like watching The Wuzzles, only The Wuzzles is much less of a crazy hodgepodge.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 6, 2012 at 01:46am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I doubt I'll ever venture into the other incarnations of Power Rangers. I gave them a quick preview, and while they actually seemed a lot less cheesy and far less dated than the 1993 series, I don't think I'm ready to experience Turbo, Wildforce or S.P.D

I guess I'm just looking at it for the pure nostalgia. Its kind of like watching The Wuzzles, only The Wuzzles is much less of a crazy hodgepodge.
    The Japanese version to Turbo, CarRanger, is freaking awesome. It is a series that was made as a parody. For example, in the first episode, the rangers are trying to figure out how much they are being paid a year to justify if it is worth becoming a ranger, so the alien kid that is trying to get them to save the planet fakes his death and after they transform, jumps up cheering. There is also a magical girl that shows up a few times during the series.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I doubt I'll ever venture into the other incarnations of Power Rangers.
    Not even once just for this? (The part I'm referring to comes in around the 52-53 second mark):

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I recommend my favorite:

And a dash of the return of Tommy:

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com