Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    The Japanese version to Turbo, CarRanger, is freaking awesome. It is a series that was made as a parody. For example, in the first episode, the rangers are trying to figure out how much they are being paid a year to justify if it is worth becoming a ranger, so the alien kid that is trying to get them to save the planet fakes his death and after they transform, jumps up cheering. There is also a magical girl that shows up a few times during the series.
    There was a "magical girl" in "Carranger"? I may have to check that out lol!
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Dang! I was hoping that the Genesis fighter was good. Heck, playing as Tommy might sell it anyway; we'll see how expensive it is and/or hard to find.

Now, I saw that there was a side-scrolling beat-'em-up for the original series and the movie on the SNES; do you know anything about those? I'm particularly interested if they are two-player.
    The SNES game for the first season is definitely my favorite. The controls are responsive, the graphics are vibrant, and the sound and music are excellent. There are two battles between the Megazord and a giant-only monster in the last two levels, first with Mutitus and then a two-stage battle with Cyclopsus. You can enter passwords to play the Megazord fights head-to-head with a friend. It's a fairly short game, but a fun ride. My only real gripe is the obvious lack of Tommy and the Dragonzord. It's one of only two SNES games that I still own.

The movie game is also fun, but there really isn't much of a connection to the movie outside of the title, Ivan Ooze, and I think an end of game appearance by the Ninjamegafalconzord (never sure whether to type that as separate words). It plays more like a game based on season two, with Z-putties and monsters from the show. Most levels are set on two separate planes, and you use the L and R buttons to jump between them. Instead of morphing at the level's halfway point, you collect lightning bolts to build up a power meter and morph by pressing X. While morphed, you can use your weapons as long as you can keep the weapons meter filled. It's a bit harder than the first game, and sadly has no zord battles, but it's still enjoyable, and is two-player as well.

And in case you might be curious, here is a breakdown of the other versions.

Game Gear: Not much different from the previous GG title. It's basically the same gameplay wise, but with season 2 monsters. The movie story kicks in about halfway, but doesn't change much.

Genesis: A major step up from the previous game on the system. This one is a Final Fight-style brawler, and it gets a bit hard but is still fun to play. What's interesting is that only about half of the game follows the movie. The other half is told via flashbacks and uses both sets of Red, Black and Yellow rangers-Jason, Zack, in Trini in levels shortly after White Light, and Rocky, Adam and Aisha after The Power Transfer.

Game Boy: Can't say much about this one because I was never able to get very far. The controls seem slightly improved, but you still lose health too quickly, and there's one section in stage 2 that is a real pain and where I die every time. Better than the last GB game, but that isn't really saying much.

There are also two other games for the SNES you might be interested in. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition is a fighting game with eight playable characters (plus Ivan Ooze as a hidden one). On the Ranger side, you have the Zord combos from seasons 2 and 3 plus four of Zedd's minions-including my favorite design-wise, Silverhorns. The only gripe I have is that the story mode restricts you to the Thunder Megazord and Megatigerzord- you can only play as the others in the other modes.

Then there's Power Rangers Zeo: Battle Racers, a Zeo themed racing game with all six Rangers, King Mondo and a Cog as playable characters. I haven't played this one much because I'm not too into racing games, but I do remember that you can use weapons to attack other racers and get ahead.
    Last edited by transfan80; December 21, 2012 at 11:37am.
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadod View Post
    There was a "magical girl" in "Carranger"? I may have to check that out lol!
    Yep, but I will not say anymore because anything else would give you spoilers to her character and the jokes.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by transfan80 View Post
    The SNES game for the first season is definitely my favorite. The controls are responsive, the graphics are vibrant, and the sound and music are excellent. There are two battles between the Megazord and a giant-only monster in the last two levels, first with Mutitus and then a two-stage battle with Cyclopsus. You can enter passwords to play the Megazord fights head-to-head with a friend. It's a fairly short game, but a fun ride. My only real gripe is the obvious lack of Tommy and the Dragonzord. It's one of only two SNES games that I still own.

The movie game is also fun, but there really isn't much of a connection to the movie outside of the title, Ivan Ooze, and I think an end of game appearance by the Ninjamegafalconzord (never sure whether to type that as separate words). It plays more like a game based on season two, with Z-putties and monsters from the show. Most levels are set on two separate planes, and you use the L and R buttons to jump between them. Instead of morphing at the level's halfway point, you collect lightning bolts to build up a power meter and morph by pressing X. While morphed, you can use your weapons as long as you can keep the weapons meter filled. It's a bit harder than the first game, and sadly has no zord battles, but it's still enjoyable, and is two-player as well.
    Thanks so much! This makes everything considerably easier to take in; plus, it's tough to read random reviews 'cause a lot of them are expecting SO MUCH from these games and I just wana know if it's fun enough to beat the crap outta monsters with Power Rangers. Sounds like the SNES movie game is a safe bet for 2-player. Is the first game 2-player outside that head-to-head mode? I may pick that up as well anyway.

And in case you might be curious, here is a breakdown of the other versions.

Genesis: A major step up from the previous game on the system. This one is a Final Fight-style brawler, and it gets a bit hard but is still fun to play. What's interesting is that only about half of the game follows the movie. The other half is told via flashbacks and uses both sets of Red, Black and Yellow rangers-Jason, Zack, in Trini in levels shortly after White Light, and Rocky, Adam and Aisha after The Power Transfer.
    That sounds kinda cool! And this is the Genesis movie game, right? I dunno why I'm interested in fighters. Whenever I try to play fighters outside the usual ones we all know about I can rarely ever compete against the computer with any sort of skill.

There are also two other games for the SNES you might be interested in. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition is a fighting game with eight playable characters (plus Ivan Ooze as a hidden one). On the Ranger side, you have the Zord combos from seasons 2 and 3 plus four of Zedd's minions-including my favorite design-wise, Silverhorns. The only gripe I have is that the story mode restricts you to the Thunder Megazord and Megatigerzord- you can only play as the others in the other modes.
    That's the one I just bought recently! It's also the only one I ever remember playing back in the day, so I knew it was a sure-fire win. Just as fun as I remember it to; a real solid fighter, though I agree that it kinda sucks to only get two Zord choices for story mode. Main seller for me is being able to play as Zedd! He's actually pretty dang good too...my friend mastered him in no time and was kickin' the crap outta me.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    He wasn't bullied for being a nerd, he was bullied for being gay. I didn't specify, but I thought it would be obvious. The cast was homophobic. Considering how open he is about it now, and the interviews he has participated in, and the Trevor Project campaigning that he has been doing, I sincerely doubt he is making this up and that he left over a pay dispute.
    I can't remeber his interview right now (been awhile i've seen it), but if I remember correctly he got along really well with the original cast. So apparently problems didn't start until after the cast change.

The "Zordon" is a racist video is hilarious. It cracked me up, but I doubt race was ever considered when casting the characters. I think they just fit into the various character roles. Austin St. John had a great angry face, and a deep voice, he played the 'buff strong badass" leader well. Amy Jo was the bubbly, feminine cheerleader, and a skilled gymnast, hence she was the graceful pink Ranger.

If anything they are examples of contrived stereotypes to represent diversity in a kids tv show, but racism? Doubtful. Racism would be strictly casting a bland group of pretty Caucasians, and not a hunky half Mexican, a cool black guy and a Vietnamese immigant. The only people naddering about racism are ignorant adults who don't even watch the show with nothing better to talk about.
    I heard that originally MMPR was supposed to adapt footage from Chōjin Sentai Jetman. That show had two female team members (consistent with MMPR) and one of them was blue instead of yellow. There was still a black costumed ranger though, so the accusations would still have been there.
    Of course no one complains how the sentai shows have asians wearing yellow costumes, funny enough.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

In that case I'll have to seek out the episodes online(if they exist online that is)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Thanks so much! This makes everything considerably easier to take in; plus, it's tough to read random reviews 'cause a lot of them are expecting SO MUCH from these games and I just wana know if it's fun enough to beat the crap outta monsters with Power Rangers. Sounds like the SNES movie game is a safe bet for 2-player. Is the first game 2-player outside that head-to-head mode? I may pick that up as well anyway.
    Outside of the Megazord fights, it's single-player only. It's still fun though, so you may as well get it if you are thinking about it.

That sounds kinda cool! And this is the Genesis movie game, right? I dunno why I'm interested in fighters. Whenever I try to play fighters outside the usual ones we all know about I can rarely ever compete against the computer with any sort of skill.
    Correct. I don't play this particular genre much anymore, and I never even finished Double Dragon Neon. This one may be worth another visit soon though.

That's the one I just bought recently! It's also the only one I ever remember playing back in the day, so I knew it was a sure-fire win. Just as fun as I remember it to; a real solid fighter, though I agree that it kinda sucks to only get two Zord choices for story mode. Main seller for me is being able to play as Zedd! He's actually pretty dang good too...my friend mastered him in no time and was kickin' the crap outta me.
    I still wish the story mode weren't so limited in character selection. If nothing else, they could have let us play as the other Megazords instead of just the season 2 combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    I can't remeber his interview right now (been awhile i've seen it), but if I remember correctly he got along really well with the original cast. So apparently problems didn't start until after the cast change.

I heard that originally MMPR was supposed to adapt footage from Chōjin Sentai Jetman. That show had two female team members (consistent with MMPR) and one of them was blue instead of yellow. There was still a black costumed ranger though, so the accusations would still have been there.
    Of course no one complains how the sentai shows have asians wearing yellow costumes, funny enough.
    David Yost said himself that he has maintained friendships with the main cast, so the bullying must of came from the production crew. As much as anti-gay religious nutbars claim that Hollywood is a safe haven for gays, and are constantly shoving gay media down the throats of viewers, the reality is, working in Hollywood is like working anywhere, you will still work with hateful bigoted people. I'm glad David rose above it, and apparently the MMRP fans love him still.

Again, I see no racism in MMPR, and anyone that searches for it is just looking for nonsense. I am glad that I revisited this show.

David Yost said himself that he has maintained friendships with the main cast, so the bullying must of came from the production crew.
    That much I can remember from his interview, but I did hear from other sources that apparently he didn't make friends with the new cast members. Doesn't mean they were bullying him, just that he didn't hang out with them as much as he did with the old cast.

As much as anti-gay religious nutbars claim that Hollywood is a safe haven for gays, and are constantly shoving gay media down the throats of viewers, the reality is, working in Hollywood is like working anywhere, you will still work with hateful bigoted people.
    I don't think any of us are under any illusions about Hollywood.

Again, I see no racism in MMPR, and anyone that searches for it is just looking for nonsense. I am glad that I revisited this show.
    I never saw the racism either. Like I said no one ever complained that the original Sentai shows use the color yellow for one member of the team.
    Sometimes a color is only a color.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

MAN I miss the 'ol blockbuster days of renting. Now I'm just buying games 'cause I can, even though they may suck. 'Course I suppose there always emulators....but I dunno if I can go back to those ever since my old computer died and took everything with it.

Anyway, I bought MMPR on the Genesis along with the MMPR: The Movie. MMPR was a moderate to sub-par fighter, but good enough for a laugh so I'ma keep it. The Movie game was impressive, but the lack of interesting enemies pretty much made it boring, which is a shame 'cause the moves open to the rangers was varied and fun. It's too bad there were a total of three enemy types to beat on. I'm not sure if I'll keep it...my friend and I went through it once, but that felt like enough. Not sure if I'll bother hunting down SNES versions; that SNES fighter seems to sadly be the best classic MMPR game they made!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Alexx, have you played Power Rangers: Super Legends? I was thinking of tracking down the GC or DS versions, but I had heard some pretty negative things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by transfan80 View Post
    Alexx, have you played Power Rangers: Super Legends? I was thinking of tracking down the GC or DS versions, but I had heard some pretty negative things about it.
    I have not, though I remember thinking about it back when it came out. I had also heard negative things, so I think that's why I stopped persuing it. I'll have to look into it again.

Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Lookin' at your pics reminded me of that terrible 4 inch Goldar...we need a Goldar like that figure you're showing off! I hope they get to 'em.

Fingers crossed if any of the original actors return for the 20th anniversary. Personally, I'd rather have Rocky and/or Adam represent Zeo. Not expecting the anniversary to be on the scale of Gokaiger but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    Fingers crossed if any of the original actors return for the 20th anniversary. Personally, I'd rather have Rocky and/or Adam represent Zeo. Not expecting the anniversary to be on the scale of Gokaiger but who knows.
    From what I was reading, Gokaiger was not going to have as many cameos as it did. It was the actors themselves that came to Toei saying they would like to appear in the show after its first few episodes had aired. Everyone that appeared after the CarRanger episode sans the three Hurricangers were all unplanned appearances. In fact, the key Shouji (Tenma Ranger) has at the end of the final episode one he made himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got this yesterday: