Thread: Scrooged and Oliver and Company

Heroic Warrior

Scrooged and Oliver and Company

Who else remembers seeing these 2 modern (for the 80s anyway) New York City updates on Charles Deckens's classic stories of Christmas Carol/Oliver Twist in theaters as a kid during the holidays when they came out?

I did when i was in second grade and still remembered seeing both movies in theaters with Scrooged 3 times and Oliver 5 times with the final one being after Christmas day with the first viewing being on a field trip on opening day as i loved them. But before O&C came out in theaters i remembered the trailer to it on Roger Rabbit and seeing the parade at Disneyland in September as i recalled hugging the O&C characters and i had some O&C merchandise like readalong book with cassette, CD soundtrack (my first CD and still own it as i adore the music of Billy Joel and Huey Lewis), poster, stuffed Oliver, a few PVC toys from Sears, a couple of t-shirts, PJs, Mcdonalds happy meal toys, singing Ornaments from Mcdonalds and coloring books with junior novel. I was disappointed O&C never showed up on video the next year as i wanted it as i would ask my city's video stores if it will ever come to video and they didn't know i was ****** and it took 6 years to get to video, i did got it finally on video when i was 15 for Xmas and it's definitely one of my favorite Disney animated movies for the nostalgia 80s factor including for the solid cast and soundtrack by Joel and Lewis whom i'm a fan of both as i watch it every holiday season as an odd holiday tradition.

Although Scrooged did scared me at first with it's eyeball in the glass scene but still found it morbidly funny yet creepy and thought it was a funny movie as well, i even saw it on opening day. Definitely one of my favorite Xmas movies and fave takes on Decken's story. And who else thought Scrooged has a solid cast from Karen Allen, Brian Doyle Murray, Batman TAS's Riddler himself John Glover, Bobcat, Alfe Woodard and more?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Scrooged was finally released on bluray in high definition for the first time, and I own a copy. I enjoyed Scrooged growing up as a kid, and it is still enjoyable today.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Love both films - Oliver and Company is such an underated Disney movie, I've always been a fan of it.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I always enjoyed Scrooged better than the original story.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Of the two, I actually liked Scrooged better. I first saw it as an older teen, so I wasn't overly creeped out by the scary bits. Oliver and Company was pretty good, but Oliver Twist doesn't exactly translate to singing cartoon animals very well in my brain. I make it a point to watch Scrooged every year. Sort of a Christmas tradition for me, and I do like the story.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Heroic Warrior
    But who remembered seeing both when they first came out in theaters? and did anyone else had any O&C merchandise as a kid especially the soundtrack and these?

Did anyone else thought Sykes looked like Clarence from Robocop? i did when i first saw the movie, i was like speaking to one of my friends at the theater and said "He looks like Clarence from Robocop" and he agreed with me then when i was 14 seeing the re-issue in theaters i thought the same thing "holy **** he does look like Clarence" and he's one of my fave Disney baddies.

Did the eyeball scene in Scrooged scared anyone when they first saw it?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Always loved Scrooged, one of the best incarnations of the christmas carol story but as for Oliver and company I thought it was ok.