Thread: figure tray project

figure tray project

After collecting a few figures for the collection that I want to give to my son, I found myself in a bit of a dilemma. The figure case was just a bit too small, and I would have to buy a bunch to keep all of the figures in. Even with the figure cases, I fear that the accessories would get lost or mixed up too easily. I searched the internet for some kind of solution, and didn't really find anything that suited me. I searched Ikea for something that would work, and found nothing there. I toyed with the idea of using cardboard, and then of using a vacuum formed tray, but ultimately decided to build trays of wood...

I built a prototype (for a very reasonable price) and tried it out...

I was really happy with the result. I made a few more of these and will probably build a cabinet to put them in. I'm thinking of going with a castle grayskull motif on the outside of the cabinet. I painted the rest of the trays black.

I have plenty of time to finish this project as I probably won't be giving this to him for a couple years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aleksandur; December 7, 2012 at 04:11am.

Great idea!!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

That is a great idea! I might have to make some of these up for various figure lines I have. Great way to display them!
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Love it! Will you have any for MOTUC figures?

Thanks!
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

it wouldn't be too difficult to adjust the proportions for motuc. the individual sections of this tray are 6"x5". I would probably make them 7 or 7.5"x5" for a motuc one. I currently only have a motuc he-man and skeletor (still on card and probably won't be opening them) so I won't be making one of these for myself.

I thought about making one for the 200x figures, but I realized the cabinet that I'd have to build to fit the extra tray in might be too big for a 4-5 year old. here's pictures of the rest of the trays:

the figure trays are 3.5" thick, and the vehicle tray if 5.5". and I need to build one more vehicle tray. the cabinet will need to be around 28" tall to fit the trays in as "drawers"

I made up a rudimentary set of "plans" using adobe illustrator. I can send them along to anyone that wants them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aleksandur; December 7, 2012 at 04:12am.

Snappy Threader
    Oh yeah those are sweet. I have been wanting to do somethign similar with my vintage collection for quite some time, just never seem to find time to do it. Very nice.