Thread: Would MOTU Be Better as a Big Budget TV Show - like 'Game of Thrones'?

Heroic Warrior

Would MOTU Be Better as a Big Budget TV Show - like 'Game of Thrones'?

I think MOTU would be best served as a slow-burn TV show. The budget needed in special effects would be huge but great acting talent could be less expensive - UK actors could be used.

Maximum use would be made out of the sets while the story of Miro, Randor and Keldor then subsequent battles could be borne out.

This could be a blend of 'Star Trek' and 'Game of thrones' - Sci-fi fantasy on a grand scale. All the story ideas would be done justice to.

Nope. See below for reasons.

1) I can't imagine any network willing to spend the money to pull off decent special effects. Take "Once Upon A Time" as an example. It's a hit show on a network owned by Disney and it still has really bad cgi and green screen scenes.

2) MotU is a toy franchise so it'll never be as "adult" as Game of Thrones. At the same time, the suits will want it to appeal to the teens and the twenty-somethings. So I'm guessing they'd want the show to focus on Adam's life moreso than He-Man. Which isn't a bad thing mind you, but a lot of the time this leads to sci-fi/adventure show being a not so cleverly disguised teen drama (think Smallville).
    Last edited by maczero; December 15, 2012 at 08:39am.
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at varealtor1@verizon.net

No, not me. I prefer cinema to television. Even though I am a self-confessed movie buff, I really don’t watch a whole lot of TV. I certainly don’t watch any ongoing series’. Apart from Doctor Who, of course. Nothing else, though.

Also, only a big Hollywood studio would be able to pump enough money into a MOTU film to really give us, at least visually, the film MOTU fans have always wanted. A television show, even a relatively high budget one like Game of Thrones, wouldn't be able to give us things like Battle-Cat and Panthor, as well as all the other fantastical characters, vehicles and locales. Maybe with extremely bad CGI, but I wouldn't want that.
    Last edited by Krueger; December 14, 2012 at 09:10pm.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    It can be both.

A movie to create the story.
    A tv show, with nonesenial time frame to drag out the fun.
    and even..
    A movie to end the story, possibly even killing off major characters.

Personally I'd rather an animated TV show or movie than live action. Some things just translate better to animation.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Is Game of Thrones big budget? Or is it just cleverly made? Sometimes quality can create the illusion of a show having a larger budget than it actually does.

They are probably not paying inflated salaries on their actors, and filming on location can save tons of money when you're not having to design/set up expensive set pieces.

Huh. I'm feeling the TV series idea. I find that the best shows are forced to rely on the script, acting and the character interactions more than spectacle. And they could use the majority of the budget to dot in some amazing action sequences from time to time. As for CG... Hrm. Well, cleverly done, prosthetics and puppetry could work (maybe that's more expensive though). It would be strange and a gamble, but it could work.

For Keldor to be convincing, his actor and stuntman would have to be covered in blue body paint. To save money, he would likely wear long clothing and have only his face and hands painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Is Game of Thrones big budget? Or is it just cleverly made? Sometimes quality can create the illusion of a show having a larger budget than it actually does.

They are probably not paying inflated salaries on their actors, and filming on location can save tons of money when you're not having to design/set up expensive set pieces.
    I think this is probably the case with GoT and the fact they have some damn fine actors involved - there is nothing worse imo than movies/tv shows where a ton of CGI is thrown in for the wow factor but the acting is flat. I think it has been said before but I think a MOTU movie would work best as a triology like Lord of the Rings but it wont ever happen as there is not enough demand on a global scale.

I would however like to see it filmed with an international cast and to have real character depth rather than mindless action. I think aiming it at a younger audience would be a mistake as the majority of people into it are now adults so should reflect this - does not need to be over the top gore or sex but not kiddy or dumbed down (in this respect I think a Game of Thrones comparison is perfect) It would also need a proper orchestral score and not whatever bland band of the moment wants to put their name to a soundtrack (ala Transformers)

I do believe however the movie will incorporate lots of CGI, flat acting and a predictable story with last minute editing by the studios to make it more family orientated. It is a shame as I remember reading some really REALLY good plot ideas which have been submitted on these boards over the years which I would love to see, but feel fan fiction or fan created movies (like the Mortal Kombat Legacy reinvision on Youtube which is pretty damn awesome) will be the only way I will experience these

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    I think toy properties are still years away from gaining the respect in the TV/film entertainment industry that comic book properties enjoy now. I feel it's going to take a toy movie that's been well done on the level of Nolan's Batman movies to even get toy properties in general a foot in the door. So far, it hasn't looked good. Battleship was a dud, GI Joe Rise of Cobra was an embarrassment, Transformers is a shaky foundation at best.

Again, just my opinion: it will take either series writers willing to ignore Filmation's yoke or writers picked BECAUSE of their unfamiliarity with Masters of the Universe to put together a show that current non-fans would want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylde Weezle View Post
    I think toy properties are still years away from gaining the respect in the TV/film entertainment industry that comic book properties enjoy now. I feel it's going to take a toy movie that's been well done on the level of Nolan's Batman movies to even get toy properties in general a foot in the door. So far, it hasn't looked good. Battleship was a dud, GI Joe Rise of Cobra was an embarrassment, Transformers is a shaky foundation at best.

Again, just my opinion: it will take either series writers willing to ignore Filmation's yoke or writers picked BECAUSE of their unfamiliarity with Masters of the Universe to put together a show that current non-fans would want to watch.
    Agreed.

As a big budget live-action show I say no simply because there are no big budget shows on Network or Cable TV that are based on a childrens toy line. The only show I can think of that comes close is Walking Dead and that is based on a comic and it is a relevant comic with adult themes, violence, gore, strong language and damned good acting; things that don't really scream MOTU.

I think something more realistic would be if they aimed for something like Clone Wars which is a high quality show with great writing, great voice acting and great character development. Plus it does get serious; characters die. Would He-Fans and She-Ravers be able to handle that because a big time show, even if it was like Clone Wars, would take MOTU places it hasn't been before.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    I think something more realistic would be if they aimed for something like Clone Wars which is a high quality show with great writing, great voice acting and great character development. Plus it does get serious; characters die. Would He-Fans and She-Ravers be able to handle that because a big time show, even if it was like Clone Wars, would take MOTU places it hasn't been before.
    The franchise has been there before. The MYP cartoon was a lot more violent than the Filmation cartoon. The accompanying comics put out by MVC were even more violent (death and gore). Now with the latest batch of comics we're getting content that might be even a little too hardcore for a pg-13 movie rating. Even the bios that come with the action figures don't shy away from death. Granted a few have complained, but I believe most fans want a more serious/darker tone for this franchise.
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at varealtor1@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    The franchise has been there before. The MYP cartoon was a lot more violent than the Filmation cartoon. The accompanying comics put out by MVC were even more violent (death and gore). Now with the latest batch of comics we're getting content that might be even a little too hardcore for a pg-13 movie rating. Even the bios that come with the action figures don't shy away from death. Granted a few have complained, but I believe most fans want a more serious/darker tone for this franchise.
    MYP is my favorite version of MOTU and what I would love a movie or new show to try and be like. I would love a more serious take on the MOTU story. I never said darker because I do not believe it has to be dark to be serious. There are dark aspects to MOTU but I believe it would be closer in tone to say the new Battestar Galactica which was very serious and overall not dark.

My point is that if MOTU received a big budget show would it be the kind of show the current MOTU fan would be ready for. Would something seriour like Galactica go over better with fans or something a little closer to MOTU like Hercules The Legendary Journeys or Xena Warrior Princess go over better even though those shows are no where near as good as Battlestar.

I guess, in a nutshell, my question/point is as fans are we ready for a more serious MOTU show. Comics and bios aside, because you do not have to read the comics or the bios but everyone watches TV. When there is something big on TV it is bigger than everything else like comics and bios and unless it is the death of Superman comics don't reach as many people as say Who shot JR.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…