Thread: What are you doing for Christmas?

Master of New Adventures!

What are you doing for Christmas?

The tree's decorated, the lights are strung, holiday music fills the air and spirits are bright.

So what are your Christmas plans this year -- dinner at Mom and Dad's house, at your place? Traveling or staying close to home? Gathering around the fireplace, snowballs fights and building snowmen? Making it amazing for the little ones? Church services, special pageants starring your kids or skiing the slopes with just you and your soulmate? (I remember those long-ago days...three kids ago, before just going to the grocery store was like mounting the Lewis and Clark Expedition.)

Share, share, share. And a Merry Christmas to all.

The usual.

Christmas and New Year's with Lisa's brother and his family in Honolulu. This year for something different, just the 2 of us are going to fly to Maui for a couple days between the two holidays.

I had enough White Christmases growing up in Minnesota.

We go to Church services on Christmas Eve and then watch old christmas movies (White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life) before we go to sleep. We then wake up and give gifts out shortly after midnight and then go back to sleep for a few hours. At around 5-6am we wake up again and I fix a big breakfast with country ham, eggs, fried potatoes, biscuits, and gravy.

Later that day we always go to see a movie. This year it will be one of my favorite musicals (made into a movie) Les Miserables. Beautiful story as well as musical score. Very excited!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Later that day we always go to see a movie. This year it will be one of my favorite musicals (made into a movie) Les Miserables. Beautiful story as well as musical score. Very excited!
    I can't wait. My wife and I may try to escape early so that we can see it opening night.

Otherwise, it's just 'fun' - Christmas Eve with at my dad and his wife's house, with his whole family, which I try to avoid speaking to whenever possible (long story), and then Christmas Day with my wife's family, which is even worse.

I love Christmas, but to me I like it best when it's quiet - at home with the tree, Christmas movies, cocoa & gingerbread cookies, etc. I'm not big into the hordes of screaming relatives.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    I love Christmas, but to me I like it best when it's quiet - at home with the tree, Christmas movies, cocoa & gingerbread cookies, etc. I'm not big into the hordes of screaming relatives.
    I couldn't agree with you more
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    What are you doing for Christmas?
    Ohhhhh, I'm just preparing the usual yuletide cooked spider for the kids again. They seem to enjoy it.

Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; December 13, 2012 at 10:45pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I will be in Jamaica for Christmas and new year.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Staying home, enjoying my Christmas loot and eating lasanga.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Ohhhhh, I'm just preparing the usual yuletide cooked spider for the kids again. They seem to enjoy it.
    I can't imagine you around children....

As for my plans: My in-laws are coming to our house for Christmas this year. This is our first Christmas in our new house, and I've never cooked a turkey before in my entire life (I'm a vegetarian). Luckily I have a friend who's a professional chef that will be spending the holidays with us so maybe I can con him into helping For us Christmas day is all about family. We watch movies, play board games and spend quality time together. I'm looking forward to it! We don't get to see our family much since we moved out to the boonies.

No trees for me. They take up too much space in storage, and replacing broken ornaments and rigging up lights is a hassle. Christmas trees needlessly kill trees.

No Christmas cards. They are a complete waste of money, and once you send one, you feel obligated to send more. The people I see on the holidays know I care, and we exchange gifts. People seldom keep cards beyond the holiday season, and they are mass produced every year. Christmas cards needlessly kill trees.

No carols or Christmas music, no religious engagements, plays, or other holiday tomfoolery, I've out grown it all. Though I can appreciate the joy it brings to others.

Just food, booze, a few extra days off work to spend with my man, some parties with friends and lots of MOTUC.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 14, 2012 at 02:48am.

I'll spending Christmas in the land of the Hobbits for three weeks.

newzealand.jpg

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    I can't imagine you around children...
    Yeah, me neither. Luckily they pretty much stay away from me. Seems I terrify them...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Just having family over for dinner and baking cookies.
    "These are the days of high adventure"