Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Frosta gift is free figure, no choice [Remember - No B/S/T Outside Marketplace]

Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    It'll be listed on the invoice as having $0 value so unless whoever writes out the custom labels at DR doesn't look at the invoice and instead decides to make up a value, there should be no problem.
    Sadly i've been stitiched up afew times with fictitious value declarations... but my amazing power of positive thinking says it won't happen this time!

The argument of saying an redeco'd accessory might be something you don't want and therefore leftover stock is better, is the same as those saying the reverse. Some people wanted something new, while others are fine getting something they might not need just cause it's free. No one here is right or wrong, it's just personal preference. Heck, if Mattel wanted to just PayPal me $30 per sub that would be better. It would save me the hassle of trying to resell a figure and then I could apply it towards Xmas gifts or towards Granamyr.

If the gift does end up being leftover stock, Mattel won't be taking a hit for doing it. This is purely a business tactic. They probably decided it was in their best interest to skip production on some new accessory, because it would cost them money, and instead clear inventory and make it a write-off; gaining money. They are taking care of a promise to "give the subscribers a free gift" and they are cleaning up business loose ends at the same time. If this is the case, I would prefer they just call it what it is instead of trying to play it off as an apology.

Like I said before, they didn't have to do anything. But, this actually works in their favor.

Like my personal suggestion, or hope, that it is something new like Crystal Man-At-Arms; I don't see this being a figure the average collector (non-sub'r) would be upset with missing. The ones that tend to be in it for everything usually get a sub, so they'd be set. And anyone that would receive him that didn't want him could sell it for quite a bit, since it would be as rare as Shadow Weaver. So, I don't think anyone would be upset over a new redeco/variant figure as the free gift. If it was something like King Miro, a true "new" figure, then yes, people would be upset. But not a variant like Crystal Man-At-Arms.

So, I'm still hoping it's something new. It's the sentence that says they originally thought this gift might not come until late next year. If it is just leftover stock, why would they think it might not come until later in 2013? They already have it. My only thought would be that originally they were planning to make something new, hence late 2013, but changed their minds to leftover stock to make it a write-off in 2012. That would be the only alternative explanation. So, that kinda makes what seems, from the email, like a miraculous effort into an less personal gesture. I am hoping that is not the case.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; December 7, 2012 at 02:05pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    I'm glad to see most of us have come together and shown appreciation of getting a free figure.

I really thought teh lien was doomed seeing as how some refuse to be pleased no matter what. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but IMO that attitude is what will ultimately kill it for all of us.

This right here
    http://www.DoomKick.com -Toys reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

Quote Originally Posted by GigaMach View Post
    So, if it's a "new" figure people will rage? I don't know about that, especially if the figure is eventually available for purchase.

I'm cool with whatever. Maybe I'll finally get that Roboto I've been hunting for!
    If it's something I already have, I will rage hardcore because I already bought it the first time. If it's something new, I will rage harder because it's not fair to people who can't have it.

I will be happy with either a left over stock figure or a new figure, either way. Free is free to me. I love me some free. Matty has not given me any free figures in a long time! LOL

TG has answer Q&As on the Matty website.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuru
    All 2012 sub holders will get one gift per subscription.
    There won't be any 2012 figures in the gift allocation.
    There is no way to guarantee what you will get and it is "possible" to get 5 of the same characters if you have 5 subs. We can't promise any combination.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Sounds good to me. Frosta was a crap figure IMO anyway. Now I'll feel like I at least got something for the money I spent on her.
    bnl4life

How many people receive a gift at Christmas and you open it, only to be disappointed that it's something that you already have? And then, instead of keeping it, you rush to the store as soon as possible to exchange it or get your money back.

I know it's a nice gesture by Mattel, but most people are going to be disappointed to find out that their gift for buying another cosmetically defective figure is something that they already have.

I think the best gift would have been a repainted Frosta with an actual white paint instead of gray, and light blue hair.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

I think you've captured the spirit of Christmas perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    This made me literally laugh out loud.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    The argument of saying an redeco'd accessory might be something you don't want and therefore leftover stock is better, is the same as those saying the reverse. Some people wanted something new, while others are fine getting something they might not need just cause it's free. No one here is right or wrong, it's just personal preference.
    Well said.

Heck, if Mattel wanted to just PayPal me $30 per sub that would be better. It would save me the hassle of trying to resell a figure and then I could apply it towards Xmas gifts or towards Granamyr.
    Mattel should have just issued sub holders $20 vouchers to use on Mattycollector. Sub holders could have used them towards Granamyr this month. That IMO makes more sense than a free figure that you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Mattel should have just issued sub holders $20 vouchers to use on Mattycollector. Sub holders could have used them towards Granamyr this month. That IMO makes more sense than a free figure that you already have.
    That makes sense to you cause it would benefit your particular situation.
    The decision Mattel made benefits their interests. They kill two birds with one stone. They fulfill their "gift" promise and also decrease their surplus stock of product at no real additional cost to them.
    Mattel is not going to spend money on producing an additional item or lose money by letting you save money on a product they already know you will buy for full price.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Exactly, Kowl...which is why it seems less and less like a gesture towards us, the consumer. It sounded like it started out that way, but then they changed their minds. Perhaps they decided that they'd rather sell those various redeco'd accessories ideas in another weapons pack.

And, I just saw on Ask Matty that it does appear to be leftover stock, but nothing from 2012.

Not what I would have liked, but whatever. I'm just slightly confused how GB got something new, a sub that got cancelled and wasn't going to be bring in much money, and MOTUC, the sub that is the most successful thing on Mattycollector, is getting stuff they already have.

So, I'm wrong? Every retail outlet that I know has tons of people standing in line at customer service with returns the day after Christmas. It's not that someone's not grateful for the generosity.....it's that they've received something that they don't need. The spirit of Christmas ended when society started being greedy. Just saying.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

a free gift is better than no gift at all....so thank you for thanking us matty...
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Rather than looking a gift Stridor in the mouth... a free random toy is great - I look forward to finding out who I get.

Whatever happened to writing you a check and calling it a gift?

If it is just leftover stock, why would they think it might not come until later in 2013? They already have it. My only thought would be that originally they were planning to make something new, hence late 2013, but changed their minds to leftover stock to make it a write-off in 2012. That would be the only alternative explanation. So, that kinda makes what seems, from the email, like a miraculous effort into an less personal gesture. I am hoping that is not the case.
    I think this is exactly what is happening. They probably realized they could realize a write-off if they mailed something before the end of 2012 from surplus stock. Amazing what money and a deadline on the money will accomplish and how quickly they we're able to act.

Quote Originally Posted by bnlvince View Post
    Sounds good to me. Frosta was a crap figure IMO anyway. Now I'll feel like I at least got something for the money I spent on her.
    Oh come on. She's not a "crap" figure.

She's a little gray, and her forearms were reversed. That's Mattel design and the factory at fault.

The figure itself is great.

It's always refreshing to come over to the Org and read about how figures I and many others like are "crap.". Thanks, friend.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

So if I get two of the same figure since I have 2 subs I'll be a little mad. It's kinda easy to not do that.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I'm a MOC collector anyway, so my Frosta never even was opened. That being the case I could give a hairy rats rear end that the arms are wrong. Heck I didn't even know til I heard everyone griping about it. So factor in that it doesn't affect me, I don't care about the mess up, AND I get a free figure? That's a hat trick of just fine for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    How many people receive a gift at Christmas and you open it, only to be disappointed that it's something that you already have? And then, instead of keeping it, you rush to the store as soon as possible to exchange it or get your money back.
    When I was young my Great Grandmother bought me a Man-At-Arms for Christmas, I already had one so my parents returned it. Hindsight is always 20/20, if I could have held on to him and kept him on the card...hurts to think about it.

There statement on it being something in 2013 was more to put people at ease that it might not be something right away while they figured out what they could do. In the meantime fans started speculating and potentially built their own hopes up. Now why they went this route is a whole other issue. Also it wasn't a statement they were working on a 'new' product. It was a we will figure something out but it won't be today.

It not being a figure released from 2012 is also good because it's a potential to get some figures that haven't been released lately.

Basic, I think is worst you are just getting an unpacked figure. More likely it's a figure that is standard size. Meaning no oversized figures, two packs, or beasts, this way everyone gets a figure of the same MSRP (street or collector value not apart of the math). Possibly it means doesn't include club only figures, but I wouldn't be surprised if some show up.

I do have a feeling there are many figures that didn't sell out in their rereleases etc but there isn't enough to post a new sale for so I would expect some of this stock to be given out during this time. They have said they are really trying to move stock out. I don't think (most) people are going to be getting essentials figures.

Frosta being bad is an a bit of an overstatement. She should have had white instead of grey. The hair was a design choice that was either going to be liked or not and pretty much is. Other than that some portion of buyers got reversed forearms which wasn't a hard fix, and from what I read many didn't care to even change it.

Yes there were other mistakes in the year.

I do feel potentially sorry for people who might get multiples of the same figure in the mail that day.

And people returning gifts, yeah we have all done it. But you still end up with something out of it. considering how many people on here post and show off their multiple versions of figures anyways, (so now instead of 5 man-at-arms you have six?) I am sure based on the fact it's not 2012 figures, there is the possibility some of it is left over stock from the recent Black Friday stuff, it's possible the figures will be easy to get rid of on the secondary market. Heck since it was free to you charging the person shipping and 5 bucks is more money in your pocket and a great deal to get a MOTUC.
    Last edited by wyldman11; December 7, 2012 at 11:57pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Will Pixel Dan be sent an early review copy of the free gift figure?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    When Mattel sold Frosta non sub, did they let people know that it was reversed? If not that's the only way I could see your side, but if you knew and still bought her that was your choice. Subs had no choice.

J
    I'm actually OK with Frosta, I swapped the forearms, and I guess I am one of the few who like her as is, despite the fact she could be better, color wise, she is my favorite female in the line even as is, and I'm not even a POP fan.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Wonder Bread is no longer in business, so what will we call her?
    Bankruptcy-Ra! Baker Strike She-Ra!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    The are two reasons that there is any frustration about this announcement right now:

1) people are just assuming that the "basic figure" is going to be old stock. While that may be true, we don't know for sure.

2) Mattel should have been QUIET about details prior to this announcement. There were too many hints that this item might have been a "repaired item" or accessory.
    The Buzz Off I got from the BF sale had been opened and resealed with transparent tape instead of the regular glossy kind....but all was good with the figure and package inside. I don't know if it was a return or what, but I know I have never gotten one with store bought Satiny Transparent tape on it before. But I know my Marlena was slightly damaged, the bubble had slight dents in it, as well as the mailer, but it was not from the shipping to me, the box was perfect, so it happened on Matty's side.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!