Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Frosta gift is free figure, no choice [Remember - No B/S/T Outside Marketplace]

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    They're giving away something like 15,000-20,000 figures—there isn't likely to remain any stock of anything left for newcomers to buy at decent prices on later sales.

Mattel is using the "apology free gift" as an excuse to clear out their warehouse in a quick-and-dirty way before the year ends. If they genuinely wanted to apologize for the Frosta fiasco, the appropriate way would have been to re-run her and send the fixed version free of charge to every customer that got a defective one; not to get rid of unsold stock of older items by giving them to the people that most likely already own those items.

I've spent over $3,000 on Matty during this year, I'm still Teela-less, and I've received a defective Frosta that I paid $22 for. But I won't be getting any free Teela or Optikk or anything because I wasn't around when 2012 subscriptions were sold. Whereas scalpers that bought 10+ 2012 subscriptions and only paid $20 for their Frostas (and resold them even before they got them in the mail), may be getting free extras of highly-demanded older figures to resell them for a 100% profit at $100+ apiece.

Matty is rewarding scalpers, who care nothing about the brand itself and will leave in droves at the drop of a hat once the line become less profitable to resell, while giving a big middle finger to the real fans that just discovered the line and are spending untold amounts of money trying to catch up.
    What? Where did this come from? They are giving every sub holder a free figure. I dont give a rats butt if someone ordered 10, 100, or 1000 subs to resell. If they are a sub holder, then they are supporting the line, regardless of what they do with their figures. Who cares what they do in the future, they bought the sub, so they deserve the free figure. What figure sells for $100+? I buy just from Matty, so I dont follow the secondary market. The only one I follow is the Bronze variant of King Grayskull from SDCC as it is the only figure I dont have and would like to buy...for the right price and I know it goes in excess of $100, but I am not aware of any other that does.

Who pooped in your cocoa puffs this morning uaxuctum?

They're giving away something like 15,000-20,000 figures—there isn't likely to remain any stock of anything left for newcomers to buy at decent prices on later sales.

Mattel is using the "apology free gift" as an excuse to clear out their warehouse in a quick-and-dirty way before the year ends. If they genuinely wanted to apologize for the Frosta fiasco, the appropriate way would have been to re-run her and send the fixed version free of charge to every customer that got a defective one; not to get rid of unsold stock of older items by giving them to the people that most likely already own those items.

I've spent over $3,000 on Matty during this year, I'm still Teela-less, and I've received a defective Frosta that I paid $22 for. But I won't be getting any free Teela or Optikk or anything because I wasn't around when 2012 subscriptions were sold. Whereas scalpers that bought 10+ 2012 subscriptions and only paid $20 for their Frostas (and resold them even before they got them in the mail), may be getting free extras of highly-demanded older figures to resell them for a 100% profit at $100+ apiece.

Matty is rewarding scalpers, who care nothing about the brand itself and will leave in droves at the drop of a hat once the line become less profitable to resell, while giving a big middle finger to the real fans that just discovered the line and are spending untold amounts of money trying to catch up.
    Come on, man, I hear some of what you're saying, but how is it Mattel's fault that you weren't collecting this line until after they made Teela? Also, yeah, you probably won't get her, but I'd say the chances of getting Optik are decent. And yes, in a perfect world we all would have gotten perfect Frostas, but if they did that that most likely would have been the last thing done with this line. And if someone like me, who has almost no customizing skills, was able to fix my Frosta, then I am certain anyone can. And instead of doing something that would spell the end of this line, they're doing something that will provide a HUGE relief to its budget by clearing out all the figures, by giving them all to us FOR FREE! I'm sorry, but the more I think about it, the more I can't understand how people are upset by free toys. Isn't that the collector's dream? And sure, you can't pick which ones you get, but this is going to result in a HUGE boost in trading activity, so try your luck for the figures you need there--I know that's what I'll be doing!

And I ultimately don't like scalpers either, but the fact is that if no scalpers bought MOTUC, it would have ended long ago.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Teela was long gone anyway.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

I don't remember any statement saying that, I recall only a few figures have actually been mentioned to be completely gone. After that we know several figures have stock just not enough to make a sale out of the figures. The problem is, it's never really been mentioned what figures have this kind of stock.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'm actually hoping to score a Hurricane Hordak. Passed on him last year and again during the CM sale due to lack of moneyz. If the free figure is something I don't actually have... ooh, exciting. :P

If you're able to spend 3k in a year, you should be able to find Teela on the secondary market quite easily. I got started late and was able to catch up mostly on the marketplace here. I'm happy to be getting anything free as a sub holder, especially since I wouldn't have noticed the problem in the first place. I had a few unwanted figures this year and I assure you, I haven't made a dime reselling them. If anything I've lost a few bucks and am still sitting on a few that I won't break even on.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're able to spend 3k in a year, you should be able to find Teela on the secondary market quite easily. I got started late and was able to catch up mostly on the marketplace here. I'm happy to be getting anything free as a sub holder, especially since I wouldn't have noticed the problem in the first place. I had a few unwanted figures this year and I assure you, I haven't made a dime reselling them. If anything I've lost a few bucks and am still sitting on a few that I won't break even on.
    On Twitter @DualHares

Looking forward to people reporting what they got. Hoping the first figures start trickling in pretty soon.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Come on, man, I hear some of what you're saying, but how is it Mattel's fault that you weren't collecting this line until after they made Teela? Also, yeah, you probably won't get her, but I'd say the chances of getting Optik are decent. And yes, in a perfect world we all would have gotten perfect Frostas, but if they did that that most likely would have been the last thing done with this line. And if someone like me, who has almost no customizing skills, was able to fix my Frosta, then I am certain anyone can. And instead of doing something that would spell the end of this line, they're doing something that will provide a HUGE relief to its budget by clearing out all the figures, by giving them all to us FOR FREE! I'm sorry, but the more I think about it, the more I can't understand how people are upset by free toys. Isn't that the collector's dream? And sure, you can't pick which ones you get, but this is going to result in a HUGE boost in trading activity, so try your luck for the figures you need there--I know that's what I'll be doing!

And I ultimately don't like scalpers either, but the fact is that if no scalpers bought MOTUC, it would have ended long ago.
    I have to totally agree with this....

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Looking forward to people reporting what they got. Hoping the first figures start trickling in pretty soon.
    I know right? I am excited to hear about other people's freebies too! (For me, this is almost as fun as actually receiving the figure!)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    What? Where did this come from? They are giving every sub holder a free figure. I dont give a rats butt if someone ordered 10, 100, or 1000 subs to resell. If they are a sub holder, then they are supporting the line, regardless of what they do with their figures. Who cares what they do in the future, they bought the sub, so they deserve the free figure.
    Where in the sub contract did it say subbers are entitled to an extra free figure? Subbers have already got their exclusive Shadow Weaver and map, which they can resell at an astronomical price. And why should a subber who's spent $700ish on Matty in 2012 deserve a free figure any more than people who've given Matty thousands of dollars during the same period? DoS customers are also supporting the line and helping Matty unload their extra stock at a profit.

The free figure is supposed to be an apology for Frosta being defective, which means the apology should be given to the people who bought and kept her. No subber who returned their Frosta and got refunded should be getting a free figure while DoS customers who've helped Matty clear their stock of a defective item and make extra profit on it are getting a slap in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    What figure sells for $100+? I buy just from Matty, so I dont follow the secondary market. The only one I follow is the Bronze variant of King Grayskull from SDCC as it is the only figure I dont have and would like to buy...for the right price and I know it goes in excess of $100, but I am not aware of any other that does.
    Teela is currently selling for $120.55 on Ebay. Whiplash for €69.99 (over $90). And of course, also Shadow Weaver ($129.99, $175.55).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    I'm hoping some of these free figures will be BG Teelas that not everyone wants to keep.

....in what's typical for me, I only thought up a custom using BG Teela as a base after the CM sale.

I'm interested to see what everyone gets, and what's going to happen in the Marketplace after.

I would expect He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, King Hiss, Hordak & other "evergreen" (or what seemed to be evergreen) figures as the free gift. Or slow movers like Hurricane Hordak. Stuff they probably still have LOTS of stock of.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 11.2.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I've spent over $3,000 on Matty during this year, I'm still Teela-less,

If you're spending $3000 on MOTUC, I think you could redirect some of that to get a friggin Teela. You want it bad enough, obviously you have the resources to get one. Hell I spend the minimum on the line and I have 2. If Matty is screwing you over so bad, stop collecting and let someone else have a go. Complaining don't get you Teelas pal.

Go ahead and give me my warning or points or whatever mods, cause I ain't taking any of this back.

Heroic Warrior
    Where in the sub contract did it say subbers are entitled to an extra free figure? Subbers have already got their exclusive Shadow Weaver and map, which they can resell at an astronomical price. And why should a subber who's spent $700ish on Matty in 2012 deserve a free figure any more than people who've given Matty thousands of dollars during the same period? DoS customers are also supporting the line and helping Matty unload their extra stock at a profit.

The free figure is supposed to be an apology for Frosta being defective, which means the apology should be given to the people who bought and kept her. No subber who returned their Frosta and got refunded should be getting a free figure while DoS customers who've helped Matty clear their stock of a defective item and make extra profit on it are getting a slap in the face.
    The contract did not state such a thing. This "apology gift action" was introduced by Mattel after Frosta turned out to be defective. Hence the wording apology gift. That it would be a free figure came out just in december. Would there be the same amount of whining if it where some repainted accessories only?

As far as I know Toyguru said, the apology gift is for subbers because they are forced to buy the defective Frosta and to reward the subbers for their commitment while all DoS customers could choose freely if they wanted the figure or not. The DoS customers where not forced to buy the Figure. That is the tiny little difference in my opinion.
    Well one could argue, that the defect was not stated on the salespage, but that is not the subject here.

I hope in the end it goes like this:
    You are a subber and keep your Frosta: you get the gift.
    Should you be DoS customer or if you returned the defective Figure (which is very easy to fix) you are not entitled to receive the gift.

Matty has to think of some ways to make the subscription more attractive. So i think this is a fine example of pushing the subs, honoring the subers and to say sorry not only for Frosta but to a lot of screwups the subbers had to swallow this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I'm sorry, but the more I think about it, the more I can't understand how people are upset by free toys. Isn't that the collector's dream?
    I'm not upset by the fact they are giving toys away. I'm upset at how they are doing it. On the one hand, they're denying newer customers access to the remaining stock of highly demanded older figures, while giving them away for free to resellers and scalpers (the more 2012 subs one bought—i.e., the higher the chance said subber is a scalper—the higher the chance they may get one of the remaining Teelas or Whiplashes or Scare Glows among their free figures). And on the other hand, they are not giving anything to people who, by buying Frosta DoS, have helped Matty clear their stock of a defective figure; whereas they are giving free figures to "loyal" subbers that returned their unwanted Frostas. It's unfair, however you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dual_Hares View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    If you're spending $3000 on MOTUC, I think you could redirect some of that to get a friggin Teela. You want it bad enough, obviously you have the resources to get one.
    If I had spent $100+ on each figure, I would have fewer than 30 figures. And the only reason I've exceptionally spent 3k this year is because I was aware that Matty were not going to do any more reissues and were selling off their remaining stock of older figures; so this was my first, last and only chance to buy a MotUC collection at a reasonable price. I won't be able to spend that much again; in fact, I'm already beyond broke and I'm gonna need to carefully budget my expenditures to afford my 2013 sub and Castle Grayskull.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    Hell I spend the minimum on the line and I have 2.
    But of course you didn't pay $200+ on Ebay for your Teelas; you got them for at most $40 on Matty. The thing is, Matty did have some extra stock of highly demanded A-listers, which they could have made available to the newer customers at a reasonable price (*). But instead, they are giving that remaining stock away to older customers (including resellers and scalpers), who likely already have those figures; thus forcing the newer customers to pay through the nose on Ebay to be able to get them.

(*) Matty's argument that "we have limited stock of some items, so we cannot offer them online anymore" is so absurd that shouldn't even merit an answer. If other online stores stopped selling their product once stock is below a certain threshold, no online store would be left operating, since the bread and butter of most online stores is precisely what's called "the long tail" (i.e., a big selection of SKUs that are kept in very limited stock). In fact, many items on Amazon are explicitly advertised as "Order soon!" because of there being "Less than 10" or "Less than 5" left in stock.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I'm not upset by the fact they are giving toys away. I'm upset at how they are doing it. On the one hand, they're denying newer customers access to the remaining stock of highly demanded older figures, while giving them away for free to resellers and scalpers (the more 2012 subs one bought—i.e., the higher the chance said subber is a scalper—the higher the chance they may get one of the remaining Teelas or Whiplashes or Scare Glows among their free figures). And on the other hand, they are not giving anything to people who, by buying Frosta DoS, have helped Matty clear their stock of a defective figure; whereas they are giving free figures to "loyal" subbers that returned their unwanted Frostas. It's unfair, however you slice it.
    So... you're saying it would have been preferable if Matty had done nothing instead?
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    So... you're saying it would have been preferable if Matty had done nothing instead?
    I'm saying they could (and should) have done it differently.

uaxuctum,

1. You don't know what figures people are getting, so you are making LOTS of assumptions. We only know they are basic, pre-2012 figures.

2. A person that buys 10+ subscriptions isn't a scalper. This year, a few people bought more than normal to keep the line going. One guy even bought 30+ subscriptions. Labeling people because you are upset is NEVER right.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

I would figure most scalpers are more day or sale buyers. Scalpers are about turning a profit, and not all MOTUC are going to resell.

there are many people on the forums here who will hook up another collector with prices that are more than fair on figures.

I would figure the reason they didn't fully sell out of stock was to later put those figures out in some capacity to help lower the secondary market. The reason certain figures go for more is because there is little being sold, and you have people who are willing to pay higher prices just to insure they get said figure. When people go to something like ebay and all of the sudden see ~100 new listings they are going to think there was a new release or some such and wait for a price drop. Scalpers are often each others worst enemies.

Also to add again, we don't know for sure what will be coming out. As was just stated they are pre-2012 basic figures. Other information we know only a few figures for sure have completely sold out, we know there are some older figures they have a very small amount of stock. And with around 50 possible figures there is a lot of maybes there. People can conjecture there are reasons they haven't told what they do and don't have, but that is also at the same time why the have kept silent. If Scott came out and said there were in fact no more Teelas, the price would more than likely go up.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'm saying they could (and should) have done it differently.
    I suppose. Personally I think a whole figure is cooler than a random accessory. I've been wanting to get some extra ones for customizing using some of the extra heads we've got and this looks like a good opportunity to do so. If I get a female figure I can use it to fix up my Goddess who finally broke the other day. She lasted quite awhile though. And hey, who knows - there is a chance it could be something I don't have yet. Plus if they are indeed giving away a lot of older stock, quite a few will end up in the trading forum which I'm sure you might be able to pick up some figures you don't need for a reasonable price which is better than ebay. I'm just having a tough time finding problems with what they're doing, especially since they didn't have to do anything at all.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

I'm on the "I think it's cool, and can't wait to see what I get" team.

It's a free figure for something that didn't bother me in the first place.
    Need stuff? I might just have it!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

http://blujay.com/scar1321
    I'm always adding stuff!

These so called "scalpers" that have multiple subscriptions have to make more money from Sorceress, Fisto, and Rattlor because their extra Star Sisters were probably sold at a loss.

Also you knew what you were getting when you bought a Frosta figure on the day of sale. Mattel made no promises to you about an apology gift.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Who pooped in your cocoa puffs this morning uaxuctum?
    That was me. Sorry! I had just woken up and was still half asleep, and oddly his cereal bowl kind of resembled my toilet and I got confused. It happens!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Teela is currently selling for $120.55 on Ebay. Whiplash for €69.99 (over $90). And of course, also Shadow Weaver ($129.99, $175.55).
    Maybe you're new to collecting, but if you're not, you should know full well that this is nothing new. Any toy line in the universe is going to be costly to track down the early figures if you started late, or the exclusive figures; and, for the most part other toy lines don't even do second runs/re-releases whatsoever, unlike Mattel who has been doing them for a few years now.

What you're complaining about equates to complaining that you can't get Marvel Legends Series 1 Toad for retail cost because you didn't decide to start collecting until now, and that it's somehow the toy company's fault that you started late. It's pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    Maybe you're new to collecting, but if you're not, you should know full well that this is nothing new. Any toy line in the universe is going to be costly to track down the early figures if you started late, or the exclusive figures; and, for the most part other toy lines don't even do second runs/re-releases whatsoever, unlike Mattel who has been doing them for a few years now.

What you're complaining about equates to complaining that you can't get Marvel Legends Series 1 Toad for retail cost because you didn't decide to start collecting until now, and that it's somehow the toy company's fault that you started late. It's pretty ridiculous.
    On top of that, Walmart or Target found a bunch of the stock of those figures in a warehouse and shipped them to select stores which put them on 50% off.