Thread: OFFICIAL! Mattel's He-Man: The Photography War - Comic Cover Contest

OFFICIAL! Mattel's He-Man: The Photography War - Comic Cover Contest

Just in from Mattel!
    -----------------

As part of the excitement around the launch of the upcoming DC Comics series "He-Man: The Eternity War", issue #1 available Dec. 17th of this year, Mattel is sponsoring the first ever "He-Man: The Photography War - Comic Cover Contest"!

Any fan with a cam can compete by submitting original He-Man toy photography to win the right to have their art on the cover of the He-Man: The Eternity War issue #1 subscriber variant and win a year's subscription to the Masters of the Universe Classics collector toy line. 3 runners-up will also win a subscription to the comic series and a selection of Masters of the Universe Classics toys. Mattel is putting out the call, looking for an epic piece of Masters of the Universe toy photography that can do justice to the concept of He-Man: The Eternity War - a Ragnarok-ish, Crisis on Infinite Earths-esque war to end all wars on Eternia. The photography should be inspired by the storyline of He-Man: The Eternity War, in which He-Man will lead the forces of good-She-Ra, Man-at-Arms, Battle Cat, Swiftwind, Teela, and Orko, with an army of Snakemen backing them up (yes, you read that last part right). They will be up against Hordak, Skeletor, King Hssss, Beastman, Trapjaw, and Evil-lyn. It's an all-out battle royale for control of Castle Grayskull and the fate of the universe!

Joe Ferencz, Franchise Manager for Masters of the Universe adds, "Hailing all Instagram heroes, battle choreographers, and scene-makers, this is your call to action (figures)! We're inspired by your work and want to give you a chance to showcase it to the world. Mattel, DC Comics, and the fan community are waiting to see a new standard in He-Man photographic drama and excitement." Entrants are encouraged to be as creative as possible and use any techniques and software that can help create the most hard-hitting photograph ever to feature Masters of the Universe Classics action figures.

The contest begins today 9/3 and entries are due by Monday 9/22. All submissions that are within contest guidelines will be featured on the official He-Man Facebook and Instagram pages. Mattel encourages entrants and fans to rally around the hashtag #MOTUCoverContest on social media.

Click here for more details!

Updated:

For the contest, Mattel would like entrants to focus on photographing toys from the current Masters of the Universe Classic toy line. But to complete your photo entry, you are allowed to photograph toys from these additional official Mattel lines:
    Masters of the Universe (vintage 80s)
    New Adventures of He-Man (late 80s / early 90s)
    Princess of Power (vintage 80s)
    Masters of the Universe (2002)

Also, entrants can digitally edit their photo as much as they want. As long as it's photography based and looks good, Mattel encourages people taking whatever liberties they want. It's all about that end product being amazing. For example, they know some fans are worried because they don't have a Castle Grayskull. Well, that's what Photoshop is for! But please make sure you have permission to use any photographs that are not your own.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Oh, now this could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Paging Matthew K...
    My thoughts exactly....
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    Only for U.S. residents, right? Like always... *sigh* U______U

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Paging Matthew K...
    Haha my thoughts exactly,...also Leo Aquino,..

Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodríguez View Post
    Only for U.S. residents, right? Like always... *sigh* U______U
    Exactly, once again Non US residents are left in the cold when it comes to competitions

Still good luck to anyone that enters but this is getting to be quite annoying.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I can only add to the sentiment that Matthew K will be a most worthy contender, should he choose to enter this competition! And I hope he does..!

Heroic Warrior
    There's a great site called theonecam.com full of awesome toy photography, ( lot of figma and ML )
    Not sure if he's a motuc fan but for any contenders out there it's well worth a look just for ideas
    ( his avengers shots are great)

I would enter myself but unless someone wants to send me a bunch of snake men, I'm out haha

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Any fan
    I haven't read any futher yet, so let me bet with you: That's untrue.

Edit: Hah! Knew it! American world-view for the win... ;-)

Fans were asking what figures could be used. Mattel has replied!

For the contest, Mattel would like entrants to focus on photographing toys from the current Masters of the Universe Classic toy line. But to complete your photo entry, you are allowed to photograph toys from these additional official Mattel lines:
    Masters of the Universe (vintage 80s)
    New Adventures of He-Man (late 80s / early 90s)
    Princess of Power (vintage 80s)
    Masters of the Universe (2002)

Also, entrants can digitally edit their photo as much as they want. As long as it's photography based and looks good, Mattel encourages people taking whatever liberties they want. It's all about that end product being amazing. For example, they know some fans are worried because they don't have a Castle Grayskull. Well, that's what Photoshop is for! But please make sure you have permission to use any photographs that are not your own.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Matthew K, you've got this.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Does anyone know when the winners will be picked? The contest rules state on or around September 19th. Considering that the contest ended on the 22nd......

Heroic Warrior
    "Winner of He-Man: The Eternity War variant cover. Well done!
    Tara Carter has the POWER! Her incredible photo of the Masters will appear on the DC Comics' He-Man: The Eternity War issue #1 variant cover, hitting shelves in December! #MOTUCoverContest"

I have to say that this is an awesomely epic and badass cover! Congratulations to the winner!

"Skeletor, Hordak kneel in front of the King of Eternia"!
    Last edited by granamyr80; October 20, 2014 at 11:19am.