Thread: Castle of Doom WIP

Hybrid View

Castle of Doom WIP

Okay, so I'm fairly new at customizing, but I had this idea rolling around in my head and I just had to try to make it. In my collection are a few vintage bootlegs, the Galaxy Warrior and Galaxy Fighter lines being my favorite knock offs. Anyway, on the back of the Galaxy Fighters box is a picture of their playset. I was always drawn to it, as it was simultaneously a Grayskull and Snakemountain knock. I've searched eveywhere, but I've never actually managed to find any existing examples of the playset, so I wonder if it was ever made. This is what it looks like (it's at the bottom).

galaxyfightersback2c.jpg

Since I can't find one, I thought I'd make one. First I did a few studies to figure out what I was going to do. I decided it would be more fun to "interpret" the picture a little bit artistically, rather then 100 percent literal take. Here are my studies, of what I call the north entrance and the south entrance.

South entrance 1.jpg South entrance 2.jpg South Entrance 3.jpg
    North entrance 1.jpg

North Entrance 2.jpg Door Crests.jpg

Once I had the basic design figured out, I started working on the piece itself. The basic is a small plastic waste can cut in half. I'm building on to it using a material called paper mache clay, and air dry clay you can make at home. I'm finding it an interesting material to use, kind of a paper-concrete. The first part I sculpted was the beak on the north entrance.

Beak.jpg

And here is how far I've come on the actual piece.

Castle of Doom.jpg
    South Entrance Sculpt.jpg

Cool I've worked with paper mache 3 times now and it's great for this type of build looks promising you can get away with alot of build up by using aluminum foil under the clay because a 1/4 inch of it is super strong.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give it a try, I've already been pondering how I was going to make the skull on the "South Entrance".