Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Since it's not part of the subscription, anyone passing on Granamyr?

I'm actually considering passing, like mentioned he will be likely be $92 - $95 with shipping, and I can use that money to buy a few more basic figures from BBTS on clearance to flesh out my collection, and put me over the "I own over half the MOTUC figures produced" line....to which I am only 2 figures away from....and mind you, I only bought what I liked or had as a kid....and I still almost own half of the figures. It's bad enough I have a $100 plus shipping month to look forward to next year when the Foe Men come. Not looking forward to that month, but hopefully nothing gets screwed up, and it's the only one.

But we'll see about Granny come another week, and I see if I can resist the impulse to buy....having a huge fat red Dragon sitting on a stand in my collection room would look awesome. And I did make an effort to prepare a spot for him....we'll see. He may be the biggest thing I can get from MOTUC, so I likely will get him, because it's not looking good for Castle Grayskull as far as fincances, I may try to put back some from taxes, but that's not until April....so even though it's well more....BBTS may be my only shot...IF, I can do it, at least I can Pre-Order it, and cancel at any time, unlike Matty. And once PO's on Matty close....I predict the Castle could go for well over what BBTS is asking....$250 would be awesome if I knew now I'd have the cash in a year, but I may not, and not being able to cancel....will suck. Besides if I PO from BBTS, I can cancel if I have the dough, and see that Matty may have some DOS stock even at a higher price it will be cheaper than BBTS, so I have options at least.

But if no CG, at least I can have a very close to 2' standing, likely 16" sitting big red Dragon in my MOTUC collection. Even though I know in like 3 or 4 months time BBTS will likely clearance any stock they get of him....but whatever.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 10, 2012 at 11:12pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I don't though understand the whole "I can't afford it cause it's the holidays" excuse. Mattel gave ample warning that he was coming. Are people really this bad at managing their money?
    Because Nov 30th was the first paycheck I have had since last year. As such, I had a lot of more important things to catch up on.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

When it comes to pleasing my wife and kid on christmas or getting a giant Dragon.....the wife and kid wins everytime. That and unexpected expenses that popped up and the unstability of work after wedding season.....preperations for my $80 toy fell by the wayside. Maybe someday or if I get some awesome Christmas tips. But life happens for some of us. I wasn't anticipating our second child coming either to be honest. Very greatful and blessed.....with or without my dragon. Sadly I'm 90% sure it's going to be a pass.

I have to pass because I just don't have the scratch for him. If I did, yeah, I'd get him. He's cool enough for me. Dec does put a damper on things too (Christmas spending from gifts to a trip to my parents).

In January, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be snagging Ram-Man with my birthday money!
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

I knew December would be a big month with two oversized figures so thankfully, I was able to budget accordingly and have everything set up in time. Granamyr looks great and I prefer that he's in the Filmation colors. I also want to support special items like this so Granamyr is an instant buy for me. My only concern right now is whether or not to make a separate order for him. With the news that some shipments of Granamyr may be delayed, I wonder if I should risk putting Mosquitor and Procrustus in the same order.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    I´m hopefully getting one from Santa. But even though I collect every MOTUC item twice (one MOC, one lose on display), the dragon shall only be in my collection once. I cannot afford a second one this year.
    Pretty much where I'm at right now. I may pick up a second one down the road but right now I can only afford one Granny.

This was the first time I’ve ever considered passing on a MOTUC item. Releasing a figure of this size and price so close to Christmas is extremely poor timing. Especially for those of us with kids, when the priority is buying toys for them, not ourselves. However, I’m lucky enough to have an awesome girlfriend who has a particular affiliation for red dragons (being Welsh) and so has kindly told me that she’ll be buying me one for Christmas. Very very happy. She’s reading this, so thank you Julie.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    No doubt I'll find him on clearance someplace. I'll buy the big guy whenever that happens. I'm in no hurry to get him.
    Same here. The price will inevitably drop on the secondary market. It's too expensive to hold the $80 pice tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I don't though understand the whole "I can't afford it cause it's the holidays" excuse. Mattel gave ample warning that he was coming. Are people really this bad at managing their money?
    *sigh*

I hope you've read the many responses Bonehead.
    Now Showing
    Blade
    Coming Attractions
    NA Skeletor

I'm skipping on Granamyr, but then, I "skip" on most of them

I'm confident those who get him will be pleased (if there aren't paint/plastic/assembly issues). It's a great sculpt!

I was ecstatic when I found out that Granamyr wasn't part of the subscription, since I would hate to either own or pay money for one.

Heroic Warrior Woodland Warrior's Avatar
    The Enchanted Forests of Ancient Edinburgh
    I am passing. He looks cool but it is just too expensive at the moment. Especially when you add customs fees. I would like to pick him up down the road somewhere perhaps in a sale next year.
    Neutral Forest Spirit

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I was thinking about it, but he's too good to pass up. Heck I might get 2 he's one of those AFA type deals, definitely one I want graded MIB.
    Last edited by Stinkor's Only Fan; December 12, 2012 at 12:53pm.

Well, this is going to be a big failure, isn't it?

Seems like a lot of people will be passing.

Rumor has it that there are plans for another vehicle next year, in addition to some other extras.

If Granamyr fails, I don't see those extras happening, especially a vehicle

Incidentally, I will be buying one. Had he been $60, I'd have purchased an extra to keep MIB.

DECEMBER was the WORST time to put him on sale.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

Rumor has it that there are plans for another vehicle next year, in addition to some other extras.

Incidentally, I will be buying one. Had he been $60, I'd have purchased an extra to keep MIB.

Oh I would be really depressed if Battle Ram gets cancelled due to poor sales of Granamyr!

Still, $60 does seem like a more appropriate price point for this figure.

I've debated in my mind about getting 0-2 Granamyrs. I usually only spend this much money on MOC vintage MOTU.

Heroic Warrior

I agree, Christmas time is the worst time to put such an item out. He`s also obscure and expensive, so I dont believe several thousand casual customers will buy him. He maybe sellout quick, if Mattel lowered production numbers or do their "sellout" thing with him...

But I disagree on vehicles, the preorder system worked fine on Castle Grayskull and the...uhm..."prop replica" Hoverboard. So there isn`t any risk for Mattel to make a vehicle, if there `re enough preorders. Especially with the Battle Ram, which is already sculpted. I believe Castle Grayskull makes several items possible.

I think if another vehicle is offered it would be a preorder anyways (due to sucess of the CG preorder). It is weird how they plan these sales.I thought I could order Granamyr as a Christmas present, but he probably wont be here in time for that reason, but I still think Granamyr will do welll though.
    Last edited by He-Kal; December 12, 2012 at 02:54pm.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar

For the record, I am planning on ordering Granamyr on Monday. But yeah, they really need to rethink releasing these expensive items in December.

On the one hand, I do agree with the sentiment that has been brought up in the past that if someone knows that the figure is coming, and if they would have been able to afford to buy him in September, then they should be able to save that money and spend it on him in December, regardless of other planned expenditures (holiday related or otherwise).

But at the same time, reality kind of has to set in. Sometimes you end up spending more than you planned on Christmas gifts for others. Sometimes you may even spend more than you planned on yourself for other black Friday/cyber Monday deals....

I had "promised" myself that I wasn't going to go too wild with such deals in general this year (largely because I had just bought the new Wii U gaming system). But as someone who buys a lot of Blu-Rays, DVDs, and video games, there were some deals that were WAY too good to pass up. I did WAY more ordering on Amazon than I was planning.

Plus my wife and I had an unexpected expenditure of having to get the struts on her car replaced. Now, we aren't rich by any means, but between the two of us we make a good living, so we are able to splurge now and then (thought it's been kind of a rough year with a lot of big expenditures coming up). I am planning on really cutting back the first few months of 2013 to help make up for it. (we also randomly got VERY lucky and ended up having a big escrow surplus in our escrow account through our mortgage company thanks to our property taxes going down this year and the mortgage insurance on our loan being dropped and no longer required, so we recently ended up getting an unexpected refund check that broke us even on the struts plus a little extra, so that helped some).

The point is that sometimes whether it be recreational expenses or something needed (in my case a combo of both happening recently), something has to give. While I am buying Granamyr, I did recently pass/hold off on a couple of other non-MOTU related collectibles that I would love to have, but aren't as much of a priority, and could probably still easily get a month or two from now at roughly the same cost as they are right now. MOTUC is my collecting priority (in terms of collectible figures, etc), and I've pretty much been completest with it, so Granamyr is a must buy for me. But just as I recently re-prioritized my spending by passing on some other non-MOTU collectibles to buy some Blu-Rays that were at prices that were almost impossible to resist (but collectively still add up to a decent chunk of change), others might be doing the same thing, only for them Granamyr is the thing that's easy to pass on.

Heck, while I'm completest with the MOTUC line, itself, I'm considering passing on the Icon Heroes Castle Grayskull statue and I have avoided preordering it (even though it is very cool looking and very tempting) since it will be a considerable cost and later next year the MOTUC Grayskull will be coming out. I've also passed thus far on things like the Icon Heroes MOTU business card holder and letter opener because of other things that I've bought instead, though I do like them and am interested in them.

And while any kind of REALLY GOOD recent sale from any vendor could be a factor, I could ironically easily see where some people might even now be holding off/skipping Granamyr specifically because they recently spent a lot of money during the Matty Collector black friday/cyber monday sales and/or the current collection essentials sale. For anyone who has missed out on some previous figures (some of which are core characters), I can see where those would take priority over Granamyr for those who only have so much money to spend on collectibles such as these and have to prioritize which items are more important. And heck, if they end up with a lot of left over Granamyrs, they will likely put him back up for sale later on just like they did with the Wind Raider. So anyone who doesn't buy him now will likely have a chance later on. Even if he does go up in price by $5 or so like the Wind Raider did when it was put back on the site, it's a rather small increase in the grand scheme of things when getting a lot of good deals on other items now (some of which may never be available again).

This is in part why it's not the best idea for Matty to have these 'surprise' sales with little or no warning (granted we expected some kind of black friday/cyber monday sale, but what items are included and at what price were a mystery). They are shooting themselves in the foot by having these sales right before a major, large, high-ticket item from the same line goes on sale.

Even if Granamyr doesn't sell like gangbusters (and we really don't know if he will or not.... a handful of people replying to a thread on the subject of not buying him isn't really an accurate indicator, and we don't know what the production run on him is), it doesn't mean everything is all doom and gloom for future large items. It may just be that any such items are done by way of the same preorder process as Castle Grayskull. But Mattel really needs to get on a track where such items are released no later than October.

Frankly after the Wind Raider performed below Mattel's expectations at a price point of $45 (the cost at the time of it's original release), I'm surprised they even stayed the course with releasing Granamyr at $80 as a non-sub, non-pre-order item... with a December release date, no less. If anything, since the 'bonus' items from the subs for 2013 were cut back anyway (4 quartlerly items total instead of 4 oversized AND 4 variants) and since Granamyr isn't a 2012 subscription item, if they couldn't get him out for a September/October release this year, they would have probably been better off holding off releasing him until something like February or March next year when the only new subscription item coming out would be a single, monthly figure. It would have been much easier for most fans rather than having him release just before Christmas, at the same time as both a standard monthly figure AND a sub-included giant figure.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; December 12, 2012 at 03:39pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Just because a lot of people posted here doesn't mean it'll be a big failure. Remember, this thread doesn't say "Are you going to pass or get him? It only asks for people who are passing. So of course it seems like a lot of people are passing if you're just looking at this thread. All the posters who posted in this thread are still a drop in the ocean compared to the MOTUC buying public in general.

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    My AMAZING wife will be ordering the "big lazy dragon" for me for Christmas (THANK PROCRUSTUS).
    I am more excited for Granny than I am for Castle Greyskull! However, I agree ten fold that it was a bad idea for Matty to sell him in December. Its hard to allocate extra funds around Christmas, so I see lots of fans passing on this guy. I LOVE Granamyr... but honestly, an extra 95 bucks is hard to come up with around the holidays. I hope those who want him, get him. Im thinking he will be available for a while, and may even join the Wind Raider as an essential in 2013.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Just because a lot of people posted here doesn't mean it'll be a big failure. Remember, this thread doesn't say "Are you going to pass or get him? It only asks for people who are passing. So of course it seems like a lot of people are passing if you're just looking at this thread. All the posters who posted in this thread are still a drop in the ocean compared to the MOTUC buying public in general.
    After those King Randor sales, I´m asking myself, how much casual customers are really interested in buying him compared to hardcore fans...

I'm a cherry-picker of the line (only core team members for me), but the designs of both Procrustus and Granamyr have tempted me to buy them both. But between the prices and the fact that they won't arrive in time to be Christmas presents, I've decided to wait. I have no doubt both will reappear at discounted prices sometime next year, at which point I'll bite.

I will be picking him up because i am a completist, but it is really hurting my wallet this month as i spent around $1000 on BF/CM for me and my kids along with november and december subs and $200 for my hoverboard.

Matty really screwed up these last few month by jamming too many expensive items in. But remember that next year the price will go up and shipping costs will go up as well.

I think if they had release this figure in say....april/may after the holiday bills were all payed, that more casual collectors would have picked him up. I will down the line, hopefully at a discount. I have other holes in my collection to fill before I get a obscure dragon

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    I knew December would be a big month with two oversized figures so thankfully, I was able to budget accordingly and have everything set up in time. Granamyr looks great and I prefer that he's in the Filmation colors. I also want to support special items like this so Granamyr is an instant buy for me. My only concern right now is whether or not to make a separate order for him. With the news that some shipments of Granamyr may be delayed, I wonder if I should risk putting Mosquitor and Procrustus in the same order.
    Oddly enough, it's exactly why I *will* be ordering them all at the same time. Holidays wreck havoc on the shipping/mailing systems, be it USPS, UPS or otherwise, and I'd just as soon wait a little bit before they were in transit.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare