Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The black stain on Netossa's net.

I looked again last night after being away from the figure for a few days, and it just reinforced my original thought, this was a very subtle shading application in design that was just taken too far in production. It happens all the time, and blue highlights in black and white hair on figures from the old Toy Biz ML days were infamous for this, but the black on blue is so stark it makes it seem worse/more strange. Like the other shading over sprays, I can see what was intended, but as goes production, it is just not as subtle. I really cannot see this a reaction or burn, to be honest, it certainly does not scratch off and it feels like paint to me. Of course, I could be wrong.

Again though, these might not be final, so we will see come January. Either way though, if most people are going to display her with the cape on, I don't think it will be as noticeable as in these pictures. But we will see.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    It's what Grizzlor did in it when she caught him the first time.
    *LOOOOOL* best explanation ever

Not a chemical reaction. Both the indentation and the black spot are there in the NYCC photos. No one noticed THAT black spot at the time because it's barely noticeable and looks like a shadow - its intended purpose (although why we need shading there is a different story. Her hair would cause a natural shadow on the cape anyway). Looks like this just came out wrong on the production end. Looks weird to me and it's unfortunate :b
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Of couse, if it is merely an overspray of paint to create shading:

1) why not apply it strategically all over to give dimension to the whole cape?

and

2) why make it black when all you needed was a slightly darker shade of blue?

Very strange.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    I don't think Reuben is a logical dude...

1) Reversing Stinkor's forearms - NO ONE requested this
    2) gray paint/plastic instead of brillant white on Frosta - despite the numerous times the community spoke up about it and their concerns prior to her release.
    3) Changing Frosta's cape from translucent to solid and her hair from solid to translucent - NO ONE REQUESTED THIS (in fact, they wanted the opposite)
    4) Putting a green variant of Clawful's mace into the weapons pack, even though it was already green.
    5) Using black plastic for the majority of a figure, applying paint over it, and having the paint come off and reveal black plastic. (a "cost saving" technique)
    6) Applying a shadow to Netossa's cape, despite the fact it is also her weapon and won't be displayed underneath her hair at all times

Reuben may be a nice guy, But I miss Terry.
    Yup....just yup, that's about all I can add to this. Pretty much everything I have been saying since he's came on.

And sadly this crap will continue as long as he's there, I mean the bad choices have not stopped, and in the whole few years of MOTUC, there hasn't been this many intentional blunders in choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lynch View Post
    You're one of my absolute favorite Orgers, so I'm not calling you out, but I'm just as surprised that anyone could suggest this is a "chemical burn".

The plastic used in toys is chemically inert, two pieces of plastic placed next to another will not "burn" one another (it is possible to transfer the dye from one piece of plastic to another, but we've got blue-molded hair and a blue-molded cape, so that's out). It is presumably possible that the the plastic mix was done improperly and that some type of chemical reaction could be going on, but if that's the case, then it's worse than anyone here thinks as she likely wouldn't be safe to handle either.

I suppose there is a chance of chemical deformation from the paint and the softer plastic. I mean, it's still unlikely that a factory would use a paint that would breakdown plastic, even the softer cape plastic used here, but it's possible. I'd say if we want to stick with the chemical burn angle, it's more likely to be a paint app that is causing the issue (and VeeBee did specifically call it a paint application, but that's neither here nor there).

As for it being bad shading on the capes, I've had plenty with heavy black airbrushing. I think Sir Laser Lot was the worst. It was basically a giant black mass behind his shoulder blades.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what's causing the indentation in the cape. Not having it in hand, I think it's most likely that the plastic tray insert between the body and the cape is pushing the cape back into the hair and that's causing the deformation. I think it's completely unrelated to the black paint spray I'm seeing in the pictures.
    I don't think the indent was caused by packaging, unless the figures were packaged hot, because the ones used in the Con displays either were not packaged, or were no packaged long enough to cause this, and it did have the indent, just not the dark black spot, the spot shown on that figure was a very light shading.

And even if it was shading, the hair would create it's own shading, so I guess now I have to go paint a black spot on the back of my head where my hair line ends to create shading....(goes to do just that)....WOW, it really made my neck POP!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Honestyl, I can't see any reason not to think the simplest explanation is the answer: a badly executed paint application. It seems fairly consistent in its size and location, which would indicate to me it's something planned. I think it's just another in the seemingly endless line of bad design choices that's been plaguing the line of late.

At least it looks like her legs got fixed...
    Rueben....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Mattel and the 4H screw up a female figure!? I'M SHOCKED!

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    Can't really blame the 4H for this one, although they never got the "Baby Got Back" right until Frosta, when they finally got the back of the thighs right. They tried with Catra & BP She-Ra, but they still used the same flat thighs....

Mattel & their factory vendor got this one assed up....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Wouldn't you know it? Looks like we got

Attached Images Attached Images
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

They screwed up Netossa's best feature, the part hidden by her hair =(

I assume that the net is made of blue plastic, so cant we just use acetone to remove the black paint?

Seems like an easy fix to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    Please explain how the "stain" is the 4H's fault?

I'd be "SHOCKED" to hear you come up with a viable excuse.

Yeah, final paint application is nothing the 4H choose. And I seriously doubt the 4H had that spot on the prototype to begin with. This has Reuben written all over it. In fact, I'm surprised it isn't a stenciled "R" that's spray painted on her net-cape. I kid, I kid.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, what was the last figure that Terry worked on? Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    I assume that the net is made of blue plastic, so cant we just use acetone to remove the black paint?

Seems like an easy fix to me.

- - - Updated - - -
    Acetone might be too hard for such soft and delicate plastic....may eat through it, alcohol might be slower, but less likely to harm the plastic.

Yeah, final paint application is nothing the 4H choose. And I seriously doubt the 4H had that spot on the prototype to begin with. This has Reuben written all over it. In fact, I'm surprised it isn't a stenciled "R" that's spray painted on her net-cape. I kid, I kid.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, what was the last figure that Terry worked on? Does anyone know?
    Likely TP He-Man, maybe Draego....Stinkor was one of if not the first of Ruben's Home Runs....so, sometime before that, but after Sorceress....I know it was Terry on her.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

After getting my Black Friday Leech...(when I got him out of the blister the clear bands had sliced right threw the net. I am assuming that the pressure from netossas hair is creating the dent. It is not as noticable in the SDCC figure because she propably had little to no pressure other than being packed up.

I would assume that the figures of Netossa, if lefted, MOC, and then taken out a year later will have holes in them. Its like rubber bands that break down because they were stretched for too long. Hopefully ours wont be too far from what we are seeing now...I am getting her out of the blister ASAP!

- - - Updated - - -

Cy-Chop...duh!

I've never gotten a clear answer to that question, but there is likely some overlap.

Stinkor was Ruben but SMAA was Terry and SMAA was released after Stinkor.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    They screwed up Netossa's best feature, the part hidden by her hair =(
    It's only hidden when it's being used as a cape. It was also intended to double as her weapon. Pretty lame that this smudge will be clearly visible when she's holding it, and especially considering that she comes with no other accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    It's only hidden when it's being used as a cape. It was also intended to double as her weapon. Pretty lame that this smudge will be clearly visible when she's holding it, and especially considering that she comes with no other accessories.
    So turn it around so it's facing the other way?

I mean, it sucks and it's clearly a mistake if the issue exists outside of the preview figs, but it's easy enough to hide.

Even with this, she's the best looking female figure they've done since Starla or BG Evil Lyn (I know, I have weird opinions).

Heroic Warrior
    If I get a black spot on the cape, I'll use it as a blaster spot from a Horde Trooper who Netossa threw her net/cape at.

The cape is so small you can't use it as a weapon anyway.

I lol'd at this.

Heroic Warrior
    I am a cherry picker and can't decide if I should get Netossa.
    The question regarding the black spot hasn't been answered yet, has it?

I also fear that the rubber might deteriorate after some time...

Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    I am a cherry picker and can't decide if I should get Netossa.
    Do it! It's a tiny flaw on a virtually perfect figure. She has one of the most beautiful faces in the line
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Heroic Warrior
    Another major mistake. It makes it impossible to display her with her cape off, and weren't we told that her cape was an accessory like a weapon and that's why she doesn't have other items like her headgear? Well now it is an unusable accessory.

This is another QC in a long, and seemingly never-ending line. I'm seriously considering bailing on this line. Too many issues and too many empty promises. No more excuses Mattel & TG.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    The cape is so small you can't use it as a weapon anyway.
    They should have included a second net, solely for use as a weapon. The lack of accessories is a real let down.

The next weapons pak needs to include her helmet, sword, and an enlarged net.