Thread: Kind Of Amusing, Kind Of Worrisome Anecdote RE: Matty's Final Hoverboard Product...

Kind Of Amusing, Kind Of Worrisome Anecdote RE: Matty's Final Hoverboard Product...

If you poke around Aintitcoolnews, you can find an article where the producer of Back To The Future has made a statement regarding his disappointment in Mattel's final Hoverboard product.
    So when someone who was once pimping the pre-order is now embarrassed by the final product... how worried should we be about the final Castle Grayskull playset?

Oh wow. That's not good news , but I'm not worried about Castle Grayskull. I think it will be epic!
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; December 10, 2012 at 04:33pm.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

I don't really think one applies to the other, we know what the 4H are capable of in regards to things MOTU. We have the Wind Raider as evidence they know what they are doing, and we have seen the Battle Ram prototype. I am not worried in the least about CG

The Hoverboard is more along the lines of the GB Props, its apples and oranges completely
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I think the biggest disappointment with the hover board is that it didn't hover.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    If you poke around Aintitcoolnews, you can find an article where the producer of Back To The Future has made a statement regarding his disappointment in Mattel's final Hoverboard product.
    So when someone who was once pimping the pre-order is now embarrassed by the final product... how worried should we be about the final Castle Grayskull playset?
    arn't those guys kind of known for spreading un truths? I seem to remember for some reason they have a bit of a reputation
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    This news is on Bleedingcool.com too. Uh oh...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Well with all due respect he is also not taking the production run into account, if this was mass retail it would probably be about $65-70. The fact its online only it suffers from the same thing all small production pieces run which is why its $120

In this case the price has little to do with the quality in comparison to other items that are sold at retail or collectibles/niche stores (like Statues and Props).

Given we don't know the production run, but I would argue if it was high enough for mass retail it would be at mass retail and solicited in places like PREVIEWS

This is not saying he is wrong, but the argument he is making about the quality is a bit iffy when you put the context of costs and production.

I find it more amusing he is complaining about the board but has no problem putting his approval on the crappy Diamond mini-mate BTTF products which are even more expensive for what they are.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I don't see what this has to do with Grayskull. The HB is a prop replica, and he is upset with it for looking too "toyish" Grayskull IS a toy, so it SHOULD look toyish. There is absolutely no relationship.

Let's not make excuses for Mattel. Bob Gale met with Mattel Design. This project failed, because Mattel reduced the budget and EGOS were involved. The Decal is sub par, Mattel could have used Lenticular Material. Sommers Plastics at sommers.com has the honeycomb pattern, Mattel could have requested it be made in a Pink Color. Mattel can ignore the regular fans, but Bob Gale just gave them a cup of black Coffee with no sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    I don't see what this has to do with Grayskull. The HB is a prop replica, and he is upset with it for looking too "toyish" Grayskull IS a toy, so it SHOULD look toyish. There is absolutely no relationship.
    The relationship I see is people's expectations for what a pre-order item will be based on information presented to them before ordering vs. the reality of what the finished product actually turns out like once in hand.

Heroic Warrior
    This has got to be a major PR embarrassment for Toyguru and a well deserved one at that. I hope it is a wake call for him and the others at Mattel. They've been able to get away with this sort of thing with MOTUC for the longest time, but when they are working with someone else's material they will be held accountable by those creators.

If this denouncement doesn't teach Scott a lesson, nothing will.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Mattel isn't Jazwares, they have no excuse to act like they're a small company with a small budget. Monster High is making them enough money to retire on 5 times over,, they can afford to spend some money on a project. Same as they can afford to spend money to include stands with the dolls, cutting them is no excuse when they're all but necessary. They wanna cut something? Cut those brushes we have 50 of already, and those pets that are never in the webisodes.

If the co-producer of BTTF says this hoverboard is a disappointment, how many people will be buying it?

Mattel invited Bob Gale Co-Creator/Writer of BTTF AND Special Effects Supervisor Michael Lantieri. They were shown measuring the real props. The Magnets are over sized and incorrect, the hoverboard decal is a inaccurate bubble deign made up by Mattel, and finally the "furry" foot strap is a simple felt like material. Funny thing is Sommers has the Lenticular and Fur. Mattel Corporate Politics.

Heroic Warrior

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Yeah, I was reading about this earlier. Not cool. I preprdered one, and this is disapointing.

But more so than upsetting random fans, they have managed to disapoint someone in Hollywood... some strongly tied to the BTTF brand... and someone that they REALLY should have made it a point not to disapoint.

This thread should be retitled, "Bob Gale got Matty'd!"

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    The relationship I see is people's expectations for what a pre-order item will be based on information presented to them before ordering vs. the reality of what the finished product actually turns out like once in hand.
    Dude that is an issue for every preorder based on something unseen ever through the history of time. I guarantee you 110% there will be people displeased with CG, that is how things go.

A lot of people have completely unreal expectations, Mattel will never be able to please everyone.

MOTUC and a Prop are not the same thing though, if you could show me that the Windraider failed to live up to its expectation or that the Battle Ram prototype they made looked nothing like what we would expect a MOTUC version I would be more inclined to understand the correlation.

I'm concerned. That Hoverboard could have put the spot on Mattel for quality replica items beyond regular collectors and they have played cheap.
    A bad PR storm is in their forecast I just hope their care enough for future reference. This is much more big than reverse shoulders on a "small lien like MOTUC" is.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

as a regular fan, I don't think it looks that bad, but the sound effects are pure crap. 'sampled from sound track' my ass...
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

People are selling upgrade kits on Ebay.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."