Thread: Coloring a snake staff - advice for a noob?

Coloring a snake staff - advice for a noob?

I got the weapons pack red Teela snake staff for my green Goddess figure. I'd like to paint/color it either brown (to match her snake hood) or metallic gold. What would be the best way to do this, considering I'm an untalented noob? Would a paint pen produce a decent result?
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I got the weapons pack red Teela snake staff for my green Goddess figure. I'd like to paint/color it either brown (to match her snake hood) or metallic gold. What would be the best way to do this, considering I'm an untalented noob? Would a paint pen produce a decent result?
    Not likely, the staff is not softer plastic, but it is flexible, enamels won't work properly and or give a gummy tacky feeling, but also of note the factory red paint can flake off easily so you might want to prep it first by sanding it.

Acrylics give the best adhesion on figures and parts like this, soft plastics like rubbery parts especially, and do not get tacky at all, they are flexible and dry nice and hard. Enamels work fine on Transformers and such, but for MOTUC and like figures....acrylics work best.

I also recommend against using sharpies and other markers....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Not likely, the staff is not softer plastic, but it is flexible, enamels won't work properly and or give a gummy tacky feeling, but also of note the factory red paint can flake off easily so you might want to prep it first by sanding it.

Acrylics give the best adhesion on figures and parts like this, soft plastics like rubbery parts especially, and do not get tacky at all, they are flexible and dry nice and hard. Enamels work fine on Transformers and such, but for MOTUC and like figures....acrylics work best.

I also recommend against using sharpies and other markers....
    Thanks very much. I'll try acrylic paint.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread