Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #17 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #17 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    ONGOING COMIC SERIES

Issue #17
    "The Blood of Grayskull" part 4
    (5/6)

Based on a story by: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
    Script: Dan Abnett
    Art: Pop Mhan
    Colour: Mark Roberts
    Cover: Stjepan Sejic

After last issue’s shocking ending, He-Man has been left for dead – and Hordak’s Fright Zone is set to overtake Anwat-Gar. Adora must call upon the Sorceress Teela who tells her the story of King Greyskull’s death and of the lost Eternian relic that might save her brother – The Sword of Protection! Don’t miss the action as the Origin of She-Ra continues!

Get your copy from a local comicbook store or digitally from comiXology!

SPOILERS

Wow, so glad I got back into this series! After last issue, which (while certainly dramatic) was a bit of a "bridge" issue story-wise, it was great to have so many cool moments.

The reveal of what happened AFTER Saryn cut Grayskull's throat was really interesting. I love how they took the forge concept from before and worked it back in here. It was so cool to see the Sword of Protection. Although I thought the choice to make it so similar to the classic design but color the stone red was a bit odd, to be honest. But, whatever. The brief glimpse of the sword of Power made me long for He-man to wield that design again. I've grown accustom to the H-sword, but the classic sword of Power is just so much more elegant. Ah, well.

Then, of course, is the big shocker for me... He-ro is Grayskull and Veena's son in this version! I actually like this better than the MOTUC bio version of He-Ro and his convoluted backstory. This is simple and elegant, and would allow for Eldor to appear, too.

I find the characterization of Teela/Sorceress here interesting. She's much more aloof than the Sorceress was (well, the one we have known... we barely got a sense of the DC Sorceress, though I suppose she was a bit aloof as well) and it's an interesting take. I like it. It makes sense for someone who has become so entangled with vast cosmic powers to lose their humanity. Though, of course, it's not all gone, as we saw with her tears as Adora left.

Speaking of Adora, her dialogue here was the only part that didn't quite work for me. I felt like it got a bit repetitive with her telling Teela she'd never trust her again. Also, I wish she would use contractions. That felt a bid odd here. But those are all minor nitpicks. I enjoyed this a lot.

One last nitpick... I really don't enjoy them using Sy-klone's armor as generic Gar armor. It makes a certain sense, I suppose, but anytime they genericize a character's look I'm not in favor of it. If Sy-klone ever is used, it's not like the armor won't be unique, though, as all the Gar who used that armor are gone now. So it's not really a HUGE deal.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Yep, interesting one :-) He-Ro as the son makes sense ... it feels like DC is sticking more and more to the classic designs (and the 200X in the case of Tri-Klops) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericius View Post
    it feels like DC is sticking more and more to the classic designs (and the 200X in the case of Tri-Klops) ...
    That would be Mattel. Not DC.

And I too am all for it.

Yeah, but DC ist still executing what Mattel tells them ;-) at least, that's how I understood. BTW: Sooooo man Ss in the Subtitle.
    I think the thing with all the redesigns is that the brand was so long not touched ... and the look of all the characters therefore branded in our brains. As a kid I wouldn't have had a problem with He-Man's new look - heck, I even liked the blue-trowser NA He-Man! And many re-designs really seemed forced to me and not "fluent" like Beast Man's iro.

So, is Adora a split personality? Will she continue to wrestle with Despara even after she becomes She-Ra?
    He-Man and She-Ra, the ultimate power duo!

Despara and Saryn The Witch 2-Pack for 2016.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Wow. Great issue! Makes up for last month's BS issue. Of course, the art continues to be awesome.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa789 View Post
    So, is Adora a split personality? Will she continue to wrestle with Despara even after she becomes She-Ra?
    The way I read it, the cursed blade triggered her turn torwards her dark persona, so I didn't think that'd be an ongoing thing.

Heroic Warrior
    Another great issue. He-Ro being King Grayskull's son is an awesome edition to the DC MOTU mythos. I'd like to see a He-Ro one-shot with more details about this war. Can't wait for She-Ra next issue!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The way I read it, the cursed blade triggered her turn torwards her dark persona, so I didn't think that'd be an ongoing thing.
    Yeah, that's what I got from it as well. I have a feeling that once Adora makes her initial transformation into She-Ra that she will shed the Despara persona completely.

I'm actually curious if Adora will reforge the sword of protection like He-Man did. The later comic promos we have seen show her with a Sword of Protection that looks similar in design to He-Man's new sword. I guess time will tell

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Then, of course, is the big shocker for me... He-ro is Grayskull and Veena's son in this version! I actually like this better than the MOTUC bio version of He-Ro and his convoluted backstory. This is simple and elegant, and would allow for Eldor to appear, too.
    Eldor DID appear. He's in the flashback too! He's wrapping the sword up.

I like He-Ro being the son of Veena and Grayskull. Great touch and a welcome surprise!

I find the characterization of Teela/Sorceress here interesting. She's much more aloof than the Sorceress was (well, the one we have known... we barely got a sense of the DC Sorceress, though I suppose she was a bit aloof as well) and it's an interesting take. I like it. It makes sense for someone who has become so entangled with vast cosmic powers to lose their humanity. Though, of course, it's not all gone, as we saw with her tears as Adora left.
    Goddess Teela's personality kinda reminded of a RGD from long ago, where they discussed the Green Goddess at length. Something of a trickster goddess, I think, since her totem was the snake.

One last nitpick... I really don't enjoy them using Sy-klone's armor as generic Gar armor. It makes a certain sense, I suppose, but anytime they genericize a character's look I'm not in favor of it. If Sy-klone ever is used, it's not like the armor won't be unique, though, as all the Gar who used that armor are gone now. So it's not really a HUGE deal.
    I can't wait until Sy-Klone actually shows up. I've always wonder if he deals with racism from humans, despite being a Master.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I can't wait until Sy-Klone actually shows up. I've always wonder if he deals with racism from humans, despite being a Master.
    Sy-Klone was a favorite of mine as a kid. I liked the 200X interpretation, too. I do think there's some interesting stuff to be mined there with a Gar Heroic Warrior (I refuse to call them Masters! )

Another fantastic issue. Wow, the creative team here is killing it. In a good way!

Love Snake Teela as the Sorceress. She is hurt by her own actions. She feels the pain of being separated from her loved ones.

Love Tri Klops in his 200x gear. Not sure how I feel about him being a sellsword, but it makes him seem independent. And he has a sweet ride.

Love the Gar civilians. Can't wait to see where they end up.

Don't love the design of the witch. Too on-the-nose as a witch.

Don't love He-Ro, but that's just in general. I will give this time to sink in.

Heroic Warrior
    My thoughts about this issue:

The moments that i liked most:
    - The Origin of the Sword of Protection and the reasoning of its existance and why it was kept secret all these years (literally the Secret of the Sword). So glad to see that the cover of issue #13 was not misleading after all.
    - Saryn. One of the best among the newly introduced MOTU characters.
    - Best He-Ro's Origin at any canon so far. It was great to establish him again as part of the twins's ancestry (correcting the injustice done towards his character), and not as just the guy that brought the Sword of Power in Eternia. Awesome to see Eldor too.
    - The war between the Gar and the Eternians. It's giving a good explanation for why the Gar didn't see with a good eye Grayskull's heirs, when they saw them in their island and gave them a motivation about their actions.
    - The last pages after Teela's story with Adora going after the Sword and the Witch. This is my favorite Adora's moment in the ongoing so far and my favorite part of this issue. Writting and art delivered an awesome scene that felt to came out from a classic Sword and Sorcery tale.

Now what i didn't like:

- Sorceress Teela. As Adora very well stated i don't buy Teela's excuses. She knew that the Serpent Blade was cursed and possibly could overtake Adora's mind, but she let her have it the same, only because the blade could destroy the Witch. At least she could warned her and Adam about the risks. And when Adora ended being possessed, she didn't do anything to help her, and we know what happened next. Adora is right, how she can trust her from now on? And certainly i don't see Adam to trust her anymore when he will eventually learn the truth (or anybody else for what matters. Poor guy, his father turned to be Hsss, and he tried to sacrifice him, his sister was possessed and cut his throat and now his best friend and new Sorceress manipulated him and sending him to a trap. I bet that he will sleep with his hand at his sword from now on). Also Teela didn't show any emotion knowing that her best friend is dying.

But apart from Teela's behaviour, this issue was very good. The creative team is really delivering very well in this arc, which in my opinion is the best of DC's MOTU. Well done so far!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Now what i didn't like:

- Sorceress Teela. As Adora very well stated i don't buy Teela's excuses. She knew that the Serpent Blade was cursed and possibly could overtake Adora's mind, but she let her have it the same, only because the blade could destroy the Witch. At least she could warned her and Adam about the risks. And when Adora ended being possessed, she didn't do anything to help her, and we know what happened next. Adora is right, how she can trust her from now on? And certainly i don't see Adam to trust her anymore when he will eventually learn the truth (or anybody else for what matters. Poor guy, his father turned to be Hsss, and he tried to sacrifice him, his sister was possessed and cut his throat and now his best friend and new Sorceress manipulated him and sending him to a trap. I bet that he will sleep with his hand at his sword from now on). Also Teela didn't show any emotion knowing that her best friend is dying.

But apart from Teela's behaviour, this issue was very good. The creative team is really delivering very well in this arc, which in my opinion is the best of DC's MOTU. Well done so far!
    I think MGM is correct, it's not like "Teela" wants to trick Adora but here powers won't allow her to simply give things away. She has to allow the heroes to riddle it out on there own, she has to play the trickster. The Teela-Na Sorceress was a bit cold to the heroes in any and all media we've seen. She had to withhold info and allow for Adam and Co. to figure things out through trial and error. **PLUS** she's new at this stuff. She needs time to settle into it.

It fits.

NOW ON TO MY OVERALL THOUGHTS

I LOVE this story. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Despara/Corrupted Adora is the absolute best thing to ever happen to MOTU. The most realistic portrayal of how someone abducted and raised by a galactic energy vampire conqueror would act. Hordak wouldn't trouble himself with making Adora feel like a pretty princess, he'd shape her as his heir, to be as ruthless and diabolical as he is.

The Horde cares not about the plight of lesser beings, all thing exist to serve and nourish the Horde.

I want to see *IF*/how Saryn and Miro meet because, if I'm understanding thing correctly, she's Keldor's mother right? Sort of a "bring balance to the force" or HP - Self fulfilling type prophecy? Her chiold will bring balance against KG's heir? ---- Disclaimer: I realize it could have been Hisss (as Adi) lying to her but, what if it wasn't?........

This was better than the last issue and I once again am interested in seeing where it goes.

I also like the idea that He-Ro is Grayskull and Veena's son. It nicely ties the two characters together in a way that works.

However I would also like to know who the other children (or child) of KG and Veena were.

In the comic it says "Led by the LONE SURVIVING SON", which implies to me he had at least one sibling (probably a brother)

If he was an only child it probably would have simply said "led by the son of..." instead of what it did say.

Okay they died whoever they are, so they are not as important as He-Ro but I am still curious as to who they are / were.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Loved this issue and this entire story arc so far! Even though I love my canon of He-Ro being chased by Horde Prime, bringing the sword of He with him from Trolla, and ending up on Eternia, I'm totally digging the idea that he's KG and Veena's heir. That's super cool. I'm also really liking Adora and can't wait for her to become She-Ra. And last, but certainly not least, am I the only one who was thinking/hoping that Saryn turned out to be Shokoti? It would have made perfect sense. Oh well.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    Loved this issue and this entire story arc so far! Even though I love my canon of He-Ro being chased by Horde Prime, bringing the sword of He with him from Trolla, and ending up on Eternia, I'm totally digging the idea that he's KG and Veena's heir. That's super cool. I'm also really liking Adora and can't wait for her to become She-Ra. And last, but certainly not least, am I the only one who was thinking/hoping that Saryn turned out to be Shokoti? It would have made perfect sense. Oh well.
    That was my first thought, when the Gar spoke about the Witch that eats children, and even her own people were afraid of her. I still believe that this was not casual, but it was a reference to the Shokoti's episode and her story with Stanlan. I don't know if the name Shokoti will be used, but personally i believe that Saryn as an immortal Gar Witch, is clearly inspired by Shokoti.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 24, 2014 at 06:34pm.

I'm a little confused over where Teela is now the Goddess or the Sorceress, or if there is even a need to differentiate now. I was thinking she had previously been referred to as Goddess, so I was surprised when they refer to her as Sorceress in this issue. But maybe I just have a bad memory.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan182 View Post
    I'm a little confused over where Teela is now the Goddess or the Sorceress, or if there is even a need to differentiate now. I was thinking she had previously been referred to as Goddess, so I was surprised when they refer to her as Sorceress in this issue. But maybe I just have a bad memory.
    Teela is the new Sorceress.
    Previously when they referred to the Goddess (11,12),
    It was like "mouthpiece to Zoar"

In issue #17 Teela talks of the Goddess. Possibly referring to Life-Force/Zoar though.
    She doesn't call herself Goddess, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan182 View Post
    I think she's always been referred to in the book as the Sorceress. She serves the Goddess.

Ah, that clears it up then. Thanks, guys!

I'm also really enjoying this story.

I hope she gets rid of the cursed blade once she has the Sword of Protection.
    He-Man and She-Ra, the ultimate power duo!

Loved this issue and this overall series. I like the choices taken.
    I still would have loved a heroic death for the King, but already have that in the 200X canon.
    This is a great alternate universe.

Should we start naming our universion like Marvel and DC does?