Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When the New MOTU Film Director Crashed the Org SDCC Power Party

Hexcellent Horror Hostess

When the New MOTU Film Director Crashed the Org SDCC Power Party

Fans were surprised to learn that Jeff Wadlow, the director of Sony’s upcoming Masters of the Universe film, was hanging out at the 2014 SDCC Power-Party and geeking out with the other party-goers. It turns out that Wadlow is a collector and life-long MOTU fan himself. “I’ve been following the development of this movie for years,” Wadlow said. He explained that he was eager to be involved with the film, and was very enthusiastic about directing it.

Jeff stood around with several fans at the party and talked about all manner of things. Topics included Prince Adam & He-Man, He-Man’s strength level, furry shorts, She-Ra, Battle Cat, the importance of magic in MOTU, yes or no on Zodac, character relationships, Teela, Duncan, the Sorceress, Skeletor's voice, and Castle Grayskull.

His description of Orko was particularly fun. “He’s like the ultimate magic enthusiast. He’s the guy who really, really loves baseball, and really wants to play baseball, but just isn’t any good at it.”

Jeff asked for input as well. He gathered some attendees around and asked, “okay, so which third tier character do each of you guys want to see in the film? I don’t mean popular guys like Beast Man. I’m talking some of the lesser-known characters.” Fans each took turns naming characters they’d like to see in the movie. After they did so, Jeff let them know that he wants to see if he can get a bunch of the MOTU characters into the film. He also talked about how he had ideas for a sequel.

Some of the things discussed may be in the film, and some won’t. The picture is still very much in development, but based on Jeff’s comments and insights, the movie is in good hands. The fans who spoke to Wadlow were pretty excited that there’s a bonafide fan in charge of the film. Of course, there are many factors that go into the production of a blockbuster movie and the proof will be in the pudding, but if Jeff gets his way, this will be an epic film filled with magic and action.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; August 7, 2014 at 01:04pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Wow, that's awesome to hear! I hadn't heard that the director came to the org SDCC party. I think that does show that they are wanting to create something the fans will love. Thanks for sharing, Danielle!
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

It was very cool to see him show up!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Subscribe to stay alive! Zargon's Avatar
    This is very promising...
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: 2015 to survive - Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

SO COOL.

And please put in the film!!!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

What did he have to say about She-Ra?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

OOOOOoo!!! Now this gives me hope that the movie wont be a total butchery of our MOTU lore now!!! VERY NICE!!

Very interesting!! It does sound as if the movie is in good hands with him.

It's very cool that he showed up at the get-together and he sounds very enthusiastic!!

Just slightly worried about his Orko comment. Orko is far from "just isn't any good at it" concerning magic. He's one of the most powerful magic wielders on Eternia. In FILMation, Orko's magic doesn't work quite as good on Eternia as it did on Trolla, mainly for comic relief for the children watching the show. MYP was slightly similar. However, in both shows he's shown to be quite knowledgeable and adept in using magic. MOTUC gives Orko some much needed credibility. He hides just how powerful he is to remain discreet and not draw attention to himself. Orko is one of my favorite characters and I really hope they don't make him a joke character in a new movie.

He deserves something better than a Jar Jar Binks characterization!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    The last thing MOTU needs is a heavy featured Orko film, taking away any hope for having some serious stuff. This is really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    The last thing MOTU needs is a heavy featured Orko film, taking away any hope for having some serious stuff. This is really disappointing.
    IF Orko is portrayed well, he won't be solely a comic relief type of character. I'm hoping for the best.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    Hey Jeff if you want to play Baseball ill get you in my league, i wont feel so alone when i tell my teamattes im into He-Man. They cant say much though since i am leading the league in HR's right now ha!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    IF Orko is portrayed well, he won't be solely a comic relief type of character. I'm hoping for the best.
    The less Orko will be used, the better will be for the film. There are tons of MOTU characters who deserve more attention than Orko.

This is the first promising news I've heard in relation to this proposed film.

It's also the first interesting news. It's so early and still development hell that I cannot allow myself to pay too much attention. Here's to this guy getting the ball rolling. For real, and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    The less Orko will be used, the better will be for the film. There are tons of MOTU characters who deserve more attention than Orko.
    Well, that's certainly your opinion.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Very interesting!! It does sound as if the movie is in good hands with him.

It's very cool that he showed up at the get-together and he sounds very enthusiastic!!

Just slightly worried about his Orko comment. Orko is far from "just isn't any good at it" concerning magic. He's one of the most powerful magic wielders on Eternia. In FILMation, Orko's magic doesn't work quite as good on Eternia as it did on Trolla, mainly for comic relief for the children watching the show. MYP was slightly similar. However, in both shows he's shown to be quite knowledgeable and adept in using magic. MOTUC gives Orko some much needed credibility. He hides just how powerful he is to remain discreet and not draw attention to himself. Orko is one of my favorite characters and I really hope they don't make him a joke character in a new movie.

He deserves something better than a Jar Jar Binks characterization!!
    I like the bumbling Orko character personally. I always felt that he was playing up the fool while when he was alone he was all (bad-ass and powerful). i would have loved to see him playing it up at the Kings court then leaving the room, while we the audience would see him do something amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha View Post
    I like the bumbling Orko character personally. I always felt that he was playing up the fool while when he was alone he was all (bad-ass and powerful). i would have loved to see him playing it up at the Kings court then leaving the room and we the audience would see him do something amazing.
    Yeah, that's kind of how he's written in the MOTUC mythos. He's extremely powerful, but he hides that fact behind his "court jester" role.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Orko must be in the movie, IMO, but not as a comic relief (good epic movies don't need that) but as one of the main characters allied to He-man. Yes, the role of Orko in the court is to be the jester, but if the movie is smart enough, that can be shown as just a cover for Orko to do his real job: to be the mentor of the current bearer of the sword of He. Overlords of Trolla wouldn't task an idiot to do that (according to the recent canon).

Does anyone find it funny that we keep calling Wadlow the director but the official annoucement has not been made? To my knowledge he is still just listed as a writer.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    VERY curious to see on his take for She-ra.

I really hope they don't take a lot of cues from the current storyline as indicated by the bios. The whole Overlords of Trolla and Orko being huge players in the legacy of the sword just doesn't work in my opinion.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid and Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Orko should be a powerful, silent, enigmatic alien who sits at the side of King Randor and Queen Marlena, guarding them on their thrones from Skeletor's spies and manipulative magics, while guiding Prince Adam with sage advice. He should be awesome!

But we're going to get a goofy, gurgling, softball eyed Jar Jar Binks character for all the 5 year olds, and Baby Skeletor fans out there.

#orkowillstinklikebabyskeletorsdiaper
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    Orko must be in the movie, IMO, but not as a comic relief (good epic movies don't need that) but as one of the main characters allied to He-man. Yes, the role of Orko in the court is to be the jester, but if the movie is smart enough, that can be shown as just a cover for Orko to do his real job: to be the mentor of the current bearer of the sword of He. Overlords of Trolla wouldn't task an idiot to do that (according to the recent canon).
    The mentor role is already taken by Man At Arms and the Sorceress/Goddess. Personally i believe that Orko would work better as a secondary character. The problem is that in both interviews, Orko is the only MOTU character that got mentioned in such extended way, almost like he is the most essential character of the franchise.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    What did he say about Zodak?
    Who do I want in it? Prahvis. The guy has it factor.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    But we're going to get a goofy, gurgling, softball eyed Jar Jar Binks character for all the 5 year olds, and Baby Skeletor fans out there.
    I agree with the first part of your post. However, Orko AND Baby Skeletor are both awesome!!

So RAD! Sad I had to leave early. I had a great time chatting up JVS3 and some other folks who showed up early. Sure hope to make it next year, if it happens again!

It's great that the director would take the time to talk to fans and ask for their opinion. We should fall into a trap of interpreting this as a guarantee that the opinion will be reflected in the movie (there are other points of view he will have to consider and try to fit into his own vision), but it's certainly a good signal. I'm just glad that the movie is in the hands of a fan and am excited to see how it turns out.