Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should He-Man Kill in the Live Action Movie??

Should He-Man Kill in the Live Action Movie??

Listening to the recent Global Masters podcast got me thinking about this. Most of the hosts there said "No" when asked if He-Man killing in a movie is OK. However, I completely disagree. What the hell is He-Man supposed to do with his sword and shield the whole movie? Deflect energy beams? If He-Man is ambushed by a bunch of Shadow Beasts, is he supposed to just punch them and knock them out? As much as we want to hold on to the ideal that He-Man is not supposed to kill is just doesnt make sense for him not too. What are all your thoughts?

I think he should at least kill a few nameless henchmen... or else it'll be a live action ver of filmation...and THAT would just be a snooze fest...
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Heroic Warrior
    He-Man - kill?

Absolutely not. Certainly not human beings. An atrocious suggestion - fit only for the kind of limited minds that know nothing at all about the harsh realities of war. Or about the Power and why He-Man is a genuine hero. You think he was given superhuman strength to use it for slaughter? Might it not have been so that he didn't have to?

If you need killers try Conan.

Or, better still, head off to your local recruiting office and sign up. Ten years or so of soldiering might cure your screen-induced thirst for blood; it's rather different when it's real.

And, even if it didn't, at least THEN you'd be qualified to judge.

You do realize this is a movie right? As in make believe, not real.

Heroic Warrior
    That was exactly my point.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Pretty sure that this thread already exists elsewhere.

That said, the reasons for why heroes don't kill in serialized mediums (e.g. comics, cartoons) don't apply to movies. As such, I would strongly be against He-Man not killing in the movies.

We have done this dance before and your in the losing line if you think He-man should KILL in ANY SORT OF MEDIUM. He doesn't HAVE TO and he especially shouldn't WANT to. Even in a movie setting "if" he did, "if" he absolutely had to, he would at least be grief stricken over doing so to ANY LIVING THING. NOW against magic monsters or robots well seeing him let loose would be cool. It's a BIG part of what makes him He-man, the hero.

Honestly though I cant really think about any situation that would call for killing that couldn't be resolved by He-man some other way and be just as movie cool. so to re cap

NNNOOOOO!!!!!!
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Co-Creator of the NV
    Irrespective of whether He-Man needs to kill in the movie, I can say that I want him to as I will enjoy the movie more (assuming I watch it at all) if he does.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Absolutely not. Can their be action and fight scenes? Yes please! Can people die? Sure. But please don't do to He-Man what they did to Super Man.
    Mattel needs to make an MOTU equivalent to Skylanders. It would create a new generation of MOTU fans.

By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    The maiming of TrapJaw and RamMan is very important to a solid beginning to end story.

..this could be violent and a bit gory.

Killing can be reserved for Hordak and large beasts or dragons.

Killing is fine. He-man should slay away.

Widget
    What sad, benighted little minds some people have.

Killing is NOT fine.

He-Man does NOT kill. To think that he does is a complete failure to understand the whole concept of why He-Man even exists.

Go evolve a bit quicker.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigra View Post
    He-Man does NOT kill. To think that he does is a complete failure to understand the whole concept of why He-Man even exists.
    Exactly! The Problem With Power comes to mind.
    Mattel needs to make an MOTU equivalent to Skylanders. It would create a new generation of MOTU fans.

Care to elaborate about that last part? What is this now, "Rewriting history 101"?

He-Man came to be as a classical Sword & Sorcery (& Science)-hero. His steed is called "Battle Cat", not "respectfully trying to change your perception my pointing out the repercussions of your ethically ambigious behaviour-Cat". He's carrying an axe and a sword, not index cards with compelling arguements about the merrits of being a good person. And he's fighting a horribly disfigured necromancer in a postapocalyptic world ravaged by a series of big wars. One of the planned origin stories even had He-Man being "made" from the body of a dying shepherd boy in a transsformation process evoking both "Frankenstein" and the Super Soldier-project from Captain America at the same time.

All this Superman-prosocial values-goody two shoes-stuff was only added later by Lou Scheimer, especially for the show. Comics predating the Cartoon saw He-Man slashing away at demons and monsters while boasting and bragging about his fighting prowess, beastmen gleefully slaying Avionids, Skeletor blasting an opposing wizard to dust etc. - all of which is very befitting the background and universe of MotU. Much more so than the forced, non-consequential pseudo-comedy of the cartoon.

Now don't get me wrong; I am well aware that this cartoon was the main-, if not only exposure to any story behind the franchise for many, if not most, people. But it's also the main reason why most people don't see the franchise as more than a silly kids show from the 80s nowadays and laugh at the notion of a new movie coming out. And trying to make it sound like it IS in fact the only valid story makes you look very bad. Even more so than making a case for your supposed moral and intellectual superiority by insulting people that have an opinion differing from yours...

Now, as far as a possible movie is concerned: To me, the whole "with great power comes great responsibility"-shtick has been done to death over and over in Superhero movies by now. There also needs to be a serious and credible threat involved. Fate of the universe being at stake and all that. Whoever seeks for the ultimate power to further their own goals will never mind "sacrificing the pawns", so at least the bad guys should indeed not shy away from death & destruction. I can see He-Man trying to avoid having to acually kill someone, but battles would still need to be brutal to be convincing (this could even involve a "Kronis first, Trap-Jaw later"-angle). And as it's about life & death, I also wouldn't see He-Man shedding too many tears about being unable to uphold the high "Superman"-codex. A way to at least seriously diminish the body count would be a "no faceless soldier hordes"-policy. I could see that. But IMO that's about as far as it can go without becoming contrived.
    Everything comes to he who waits... and I have waited so very long for this moment.

Who is this "Adam" you keep mentioning?

NO!!!!!!!!!
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List: FILMATION MER-MAN, Vultak, Peekablue, Laser-Light Skeletor, Hunga.

Now should there be death in the movie YES I don't think anybody wants to see a live action cartoon (cause the cartoon sucked) BUT it shouldn't be done by He-man.
    People are comparing him to Captain America and Super man (all people who almost refuse to kill) and when they do are not proud of the fact. That's his character -who he is.

The movie WILL be filmation inspired hopefully not word for word though...
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Hy-Man View Post
    Care to elaborate about that last part? What is this now, "Rewriting history 101"?

He-Man came to be as a classical Sword & Sorcery (& Science)-hero. His steed is called "Battle Cat", not "respectfully trying to change your perception my pointing out the repercussions of your ethically ambigious behaviour-Cat". He's carrying an axe and a sword, not index cards with compelling arguements about the merrits of being a good person. And he's fighting a horribly disfigured necromancer in a postapocalyptic world ravaged by a series of big wars. One of the planned origin stories even had He-Man being "made" from the body of a dying shepherd boy in a transsformation process evoking both "Frankenstein" and the Super Soldier-project from Captain America at the same time.

All this Superman-prosocial values-goody two shoes-stuff was only added later by Lou Scheimer, especially for the show. Comics predating the Cartoon saw He-Man slashing away at demons and monsters while boasting and bragging about his fighting prowess, beastmen gleefully slaying Avionids, Skeletor blasting an opposing wizard to dust etc. - all of which is very befitting the background and universe of MotU. Much more so than the forced, non-consequential pseudo-comedy of the cartoon.

Now don't get me wrong; I am well aware that this cartoon was the main-, if not only exposure to any story behind the franchise for many, if not most, people. But it's also the main reason why most people don't see the franchise as more than a silly kids show from the 80s nowadays and laugh at the notion of a new movie coming out. And trying to make it sound like it IS in fact the only valid story makes you look very bad. Even more so than making a case for your supposed moral and intellectual superiority by insulting people that have an opinion differing from yours...

Now, as far as a possible movie is concerned: To me, the whole "with great power comes great responsibility"-shtick has been done to death over and over in Superhero movies by now. There also needs to be a serious and credible threat involved. Fate of the universe being at stake and all that. Whoever seeks for the ultimate power to further their own goals will never mind "sacrificing the pawns", so at least the bad guys should indeed not shy away from death & destruction. I can see He-Man trying to avoid having to acually kill someone, but battles would still need to be brutal to be convincing (this could even involve a "Kronis first, Trap-Jaw later"-angle). And as it's about life & death, I also wouldn't see He-Man shedding too many tears about being unable to uphold the high "Superman"-codex. A way to at least seriously diminish the body count would be a "no faceless soldier hordes"-policy. I could see that. But IMO that's about as far as it can go without becoming contrived.
    Thank you. I could not have said it any better. As I mentioned initially, he has a sword, axe, and shield for a reason. That reason is not to deflect energy beams.

For those that want a recreation of the Filmation cartoon in live action, do you really expect him to never use his sword in battle the way a sword is supposed to be used? In the middle of a huge battle, surrounded by various evil warriors, how is he supposed to defeat anyone? I just don't get how you guys can possibly imagine a filmation he-man is going to work in a world wide live action film and have it be successful. Please enlighten me.

What sad, benighted little minds some people have.

Killing is NOT fine.

Go evolve a bit quicker.
    Before you judge people and call them small minded perhaps you should take a step back and look in the mirror. A barbarian with a sword, axe, and Shield can most definitely kill in a movie. Filmation is done. They aren't making a cartoon. He-man can kill. It's not sad and it is fine. It's a movie based on a franchise that has many cannons. Thinking Filmation is the end all be all is not exactly being open-minded now is it.

Court Magician
    Speaking as a recent academic researcher into this I can assure you all that there are no MOTU canons in which He-Man kills humans in the thirty years before the DC Comics miniseries of 2012. And, interestingly, that experiment was not well-received, it seems, and has not been repeated.

The weaponry argument is, I’m afraid, wholly irrelevant.

Now; a new film may choose to change that; but this yet remains to be seen. The facts are as stated; none of the incarnations of He-Man – with that brief, one-off, exception – have shown him as taking human life. It is not simply a matter of dismissing this concept as ‘Filmation.’

The onus of change lies with the makers of the possible film; but the weight of MOTU history is very much against their depicting He-Man as a killer.

No. He should be in the pantheon of honored heroes where Superman used to be and he is no more thanks to Man of Steel.
    He may slay robots or magical creatures that may vanish inn smoke or whatever but not kill. Ultimately he may injure a villain but not kill.
    Zorro used to carry a sword and did not kill as he is a top dog classical hero. I don't recall the Phantom killing even though he uses guns
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lorindol View Post
    Speaking as a recent academic researcher into this I can assure you all that there are no MOTU canons in which He-Man kills humans in the thirty years before the DC Comics miniseries of 2012.
    But "killing humans" was never mentioned. Not explicitly and certainly not exclusively. It's about "killing" in general, including monsters, other creatures and demons.

And since I'm not a scientific researcher on the topic, please explain to me, how the weaponry arguement is "wholly irrelevant".
    Everything comes to he who waits... and I have waited so very long for this moment.

Court Magician
    Please do read what I actually wrote; it speeds matters up. I specified only that He-Man has not been shown to take human life. That is all. Nothing else.
    Infer what you wish from that fact. Stating facts does not constitute argument, since fact and opinion are not the same.

I am an academic: but not a scientist.

A man may carry a weapon. The difference lies in his using it to kill - or not - rather than in the fact of possession. I should have thought that aspect fairly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorindol View Post
    Please do read what I actually wrote; it speeds matters up. I specified only that He-Man has not been shown to take human life. That is all. Nothing else.
    Infer what you wish from that fact. Stating facts does not constitute argument, since fact and opinion are not the same.
    Oh, I understand. Please forgive me for thinking that you meant to contribute to the actual discussion when you obviously just needed to get some only slightly related information out of your highpowered system...

And yeah, now that you mention it, He-Man always struck me more as the "collector" kinda guy instead of a warrior.