Thread: Mattel Creations Formed: What Could This Mean for MOTU?

Mattel Creations Formed: What Could This Mean for MOTU?

From Deadline.com:
    Mattel Creations Formed To Centrailze Toy Giant’s Theatrical, TV & Digital Content

With the aim of leveraging its global brands and library, toy maker Mattel is bringing content production under one umbrella with new division, Mattel Creations. The goal is to drive premium content across multiple platforms including theatrical, television and digital. The company has set Mattel’s Chief Content Officer, Catherine Balsam-Schwaber, to head the cross-portfolio strategy with longtime creative executive Christopher Keenan named SVP, Content Development & Production. The news comes on the eve of the Mip-TV market in Cannes where Mattel Creations will showcase brand new kids projects, 2D animated series WellieWishers and one-off movie, Barbie Dreamtopia.

Along with Barbie in Mattel’s dreamhouse, other iconic brands include Hot Wheels, American Girl, and Thomas & Friends. The unified Mattel Creations will look to extend the properties in a world where “toys and content are increasingly inseparable,” says Balsam-Schwaber. “More than ever, children expect play experiences that seamlessly combine toys, content and stories in an imaginative and engaging way. By leveraging the power of our global consumer brands, our goal with Mattel Creations is to build and amplify these integrated play experiences on a global scale, in ways that will resonate with children and parents alike.”

Balsam-Schwaber, who joined Mattel last September, will oversee all strategies for the new division, including development slates, programming and distribution opportunities, as well as entertainment and talent relationships. Keenan, a producer and executive with over 25 years of experience, will oversee a new centralized content development and production team, to include Playground Productions in El Segundo, CA; the HIT Entertainment content creation team in London; and the American Girl content creation team in Middleton, WI.

Mattel is Mip-TV’s brand of the year with President Richard Dickson delivering a keynote next week.
    http://deadline.com/2016/03/mattel-c...ie-1201729116/

Hopefully, this benefits MOTU in regards to some new media.

Widget
    I hope this benefits MOTU, but our loved franchise wasn't even mentioned in the article:/ Sony is working on MOTU movie for the last 7 years, but all they mention in the article is Barbie film. It's a strange world we live in

Interesting. I thought Playground was it, but now that is becoming a part of something bigger.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Very interesting. I really hope this will mean good things for MOTU/POP!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by ShangTs View Post
    I hope this benefits MOTU, but our loved franchise wasn't even mentioned in the article:/ Sony is working on MOTU movie for the last 7 years, but all they mention in the article is Barbie film. It's a strange world we live in
    MOTU is name-dropped in this recent article. Hopefully the "...but plans to bring IP to the big screen remain intact" applies to all the brands mentioned.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

All these things that pop up in Mattel news over the past few years never mean anything for MOTU. It would be nice to see that change though.
    Next Ten Most Wanted: Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Yeah, call me when there's confirmed news about a MOTU movie. The IP reference doesn't specifically refer to MoTU as much as it does to Mattel's big screen intentions. The next-to-last paragraph, if anything, is the best reference to MoTU.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Looks to me like She-Ra has been put on hold or placed at the back of the animation queue, given the references to Barbie and Monster High.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller