Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #16 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #16 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    ONGOING COMIC SERIES

Issue #16
    "The Blood of Grayskull" part 3
    (4/6)

Based on a story by: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
    Script: Dan Abnett
    Art: Pop Mhan
    Colour: Mark Roberts
    Cover: Ken Lashley

“Wanted: He-Man and Adora!” After reaching the mystical island of Anwat Gar, He-Man and Adora are still on the run from Hordak and his villainous Horde. And He-Man can’t shake the suspicion they’re being hunted – but by whom? Fan favorite villain Tri-Klops returns in the latest chapter of “The Origin of She-Ra!”

SPOILERS

Issue comes out Aug 27th, get it from your local comicbook store or via comiXology.

----------
    ----------

*** I still think that the cover is really awesome and the credits are done very cleverly. Also another congratulations on Mark Roberts for getting the colorist-credit on cover. It is a day many comicbook-colorists have waited for decades.

*** The Gar wearing the Cross Patteè symbol is very interesting. Since H-symbol was from the Oracles of Zoar, the Cross is KG's. But would be a cool twist if it was a Gar symbol, that KG used as symbol of friendship between the two races. Or perhaps the Gar used that symbol to come accross friendlier to He-Man... (Or maybe I'm just reading into things too much)

*** OH YES TRI-KLOPS IS STRAIGHT UP 2002 ARMORED!!!!!!!!

Now, this actually to me seems a similar case like with Roboto. That both characters had a look before, but after Horde invaded, Roboto got upgraded with Trooper-parts, and Tri-Klops now too is wearing a new armor. So I'm curious if that will be explained in some way as to his bounty-gig with the Evil Horde.

*** Ending is VERY intriguing and in many of the shots of Adora's facial expression and poses, this shows how well it pays to have one artist on the book (instead of getting fill-ins)

*** Can't wait for next month's issue!

I know Adora didn't really do what it looked like she did at the end of the comic, unless she's been possessed somehow.
    He-Man and She-Ra, the ultimate power duo!

Her sword was gone ...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    New 52 Tri-Klops is 200X Tri-Klops. Nice surprise. Too bad that we don't see more of him.

Battle Armor Tri-Klops (200X or New 52 Tri-Klops), Filmation Tri-Klops and Bounty Hunter Tri-Klops (from the mini-comic "Terror of Tri-Klops"). I hope one of them comes with his Cardback head with featureless Helmet.

I wonder why He-Man suddenly grew a light stubble when he got poisoned? I think he has it throughout the issue, but it's really faint and the coloring in some panels makes it hard to see.

Adora names the horse.

The Gar come out of the shadows like the Drow from D&D.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Em, He-Man there is an old Eternian saying:
    "Never trust the Gar"
    Yeah it's a bit hursh, but some truth behind it, must be isn't it?
    And you had to study the Eternian history better.
    How awesome to see 200X Trike again (and he is still the same awesomely brilliant tactician that makes him a formidable foe). My favorite 200X villain. It's really a pity that we will not see him as a MOTUC figure.
    Last edited by granamyr80; August 27, 2014 at 01:59pm.

Cool cover. I'd prefer it be Blade hunting them. It always seems to be one of the original 6 Evil Warriors. Be nice to see some of the more obscure characters get a shot.

Glad to finally see my favoriate villain, though not thrilled that he is presented in 200x style. I much prefer the toy or Filmation to the more techy 200x version. But, it's taken this long for Tri-Klops to even show up, so I'm not going to complain.
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    But, it's taken this long for Tri-Klops to even show up, so I'm not going to complain.
    Tri-Klops showed up in the very first published MOTU DC Comic. The digital one.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    New 52 Tri-Klops is 200X Tri-Klops. Nice surprise. Too bad that we don't see more of him.

Battle Armor Tri-Klops (200X or New 52 Tri-Klops), Filmation Tri-Klops and Bounty Hunter Tri-Klops (from the mini-comic "Terror of Tri-Klops"). I hope one of them comes with his Cardback head with featureless Helmet.

I wonder why He-Man suddenly grew a light stubble when he got poisoned? I think he has it throughout the issue, but it's really faint and the coloring in some panels makes it hard to see.

Adora names the horse.

The Gar come out of the shadows like the Drow from D&D.
    I believe that He-Man has a stubble from the beginning of the issue:

I don't know why? Guess that it's hard to find shaving razors at Snake Mountain. Or perhaps is a prelude for King He-Man's beard!

Well, that was a crappy way to end this issue. Not worth the wait.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Widget
    Alright, I have got to see how this story is going to resolve.
    The mickey, that was obvious, but that ending I did NOT see coming.

What happened? This issue is no where near as good as the previous two. He-Man senses an evil presence yet tells Adore to run off through the woods alone and doesn't find it odd that the Gar who have been exiled and shunned for a thousand years are so hospitable. Huh?

A whole page is wasted on the Gar revealing that the woods aren't safe and convincing He-Man not to go after Adora? Given the predictable betrayal why would the Gar say anything at all? Why wouldn't He-Man insist on going with the warriors to retrieve her if he believed her to be in that much danger?

This issue feels like a series of events that don't make sense that are necessary for whatever comes next to work.

Man, I was really looking forward to this issue....

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericius View Post
    Her sword was gone ...
    How did you get that idea? It's clearly in her hands on the last page.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Chewer of Trollans
    The art of the issue continues to convince me to buy it. The story is adequate. While the actions of the characters are somewhat unbelievable, the whole thing reads like it's taking place in the haze of the forest Adora runs to. I like the detail of the iron cross on the Gar. I do feel like they've been handled too cavalierly though: mystical people giving each other no names for a thousand years...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by foots_mcgee View Post
    What happened? This issue is no where near as good as the previous two. He-Man senses an evil presence yet tells Adore to run off through the woods alone and doesn't find it odd that the Gar who have been exiled and shunned for a thousand years are so hospitable. Huh?

A whole page is wasted on the Gar revealing that the woods aren't safe and convincing He-Man not to go after Adora? Given the predictable betrayal why would the Gar say anything at all? Why wouldn't He-Man insist on going with the warriors to retrieve her if he believed her to be in that much danger?

This issue feels like a series of events that don't make sense that are necessary for whatever comes next to work.

Man, I was really looking forward to this issue....
    I believe that He-Man told Adora to run off, for giving her a chance to escape, in case that the Gar weren't friendly. Afterall this is her quest.

Now the odd thing is why Adora run after a FLYING Unicorn? Isn't the most logic thing that if Swiftwind would sense a danger, to simply fly away.

But yeah, the most odd thing is how easily He-Man was convinced by the Gar to not go after his sister, and actually trust them enough to believe them that they actually send a group of warriors to bring her back. Especially when the Gar seem to know that they are the last descendents of the House of Grayskull. How it's possible that he didn't find this a bit suspicious? The only plausible explanation is that He-Man felt guilty for how the Gar were treated all these years by the other Eternians (included his grandfather), so he tried to correct the injustice, and using his authority as the new King to give the chance at the Gar to be reintegrated with the rest of the people of Eternia. This is sure a noble act but at the same time He-Man here is depicted as very naive, which telling the truth is not out of character (He-Man being naive and capable to see the good at any person was very constant in the old Filmation cartoon). But in this case is a bit too much.

As for the last scene, i keep in mind the warning that Teela gave the Twins before they arrived at Anwat Gar, that the island will test them in many different ways. That also is including the possibility that the things are not always how they seem to be. So i' m waiting to see how the plot is going to be unfold.

Overall the issue is not at the same level as the last five of the ongoing. It's not bad either. It had some good moments, but it's a bit exaggerated when it comes to the characterizations. The art on the other hand continues to be very good. Tri-Klops is looking fantastic and the Shakesperean kind of scene in the woods with the Ghost giving the warning to Adora about the danger, is very atmospheric.

And since for me at least Tri-Klops was the highlight of this issue, just a glimpse of him:

Last edited by granamyr80; August 28, 2014 at 09:37am.

I received #15 today from DC through my sub
    I thought it got lost in mail

#16 cant get here any sooner!!!!! it looks awesome judging by the few images I saw online!

These books have great, provocative (read: Misleading) covers, and completely USELESS storytelling and horrible pacing inside that drag on way too long. This book was pretty bad and I am so sick of Adora already, she annoys me. Absolutely NOTHING happened in this book.

The only thing worthwhile was seeing 200X style Tri-Klops. I could have just bought pizza with this money.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    These books have great, provocative (read: Misleading) covers, and completely USELESS storytelling and horrible pacing inside that drag on way too long. This book was pretty bad and I am so sick of Adora already, she annoys me. Absolutely NOTHING happened in this book.

The only thing worthwhile was seeing 200X style Tri-Klops. I could have just bought pizza with this money.
    Did we read the same book?!?!?! I love the way they are fleshing out Adora. I thought the story was fantastic. The art was great, the dialogue fitting, and I'm loving the way the story is taking shape. The gar lurking in the shadows, the ghost in the woods, who is this witch that eats children, ect. The twist at the end was also interesting to say the least. Is Adora possessed by said witch or is it a ploy aoded by the ghost of Greyskull? I cant wait for issue #17 to see how this fleshed out.

And btw a $3 pizza would have been a lot worse..lol. Frozen Cardboard with processed cheese....or great art......hmmmm

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post

I don't believe that the cover in this case is misleading. It reveals that Tri-Klops was hired from the Horde as a bounty hunter to hunt down the Twins, which was what actually happened in this issue.
    And it was a very clever move from Hordak's part, to hire Tri-Klops and not someone from his crew, not only because Tri-Klops was a bounty hunter before he joined Skeletor's forces, but also because he knows He-Man very well, so he could anticipate him and trap him at the point he wanted.
    Last edited by granamyr80; August 28, 2014 at 12:21pm.

I hopped back on board and started reading a couple days ago with #6. I think the book reads much better in clumps than individually. After a rough start, I feel like the book is actually pretty cool. I do wish we'd get to She-Ra already, but I can appreciate a good build-up. I really wish the book would take the opportunity to introduce Sy-Klone, but I'm half afraid they'd just kill him off. LOL. I like the narrative focus of the book, but part of me wishes we saw more characters from the mythos. Something you don't get much of when the main people they fight are endless waves of Horde Troopers. So Tri-Klops was nice to see, here. Going totally 200X was an interesting way to go with it.

Oh, and I really dig He-man's new look, finally! I'd buy a figure of this.

To be fair I think a lot of comic book covers are misleading. But this one does have Tri in it.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Man, the Gar warning He-Man about "the witch" in the woods is really sloppy storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I hopped back on board and started reading a couple days ago with #6. I think the book reads much better in clumps than individually.
    Problem with comics in general anymore, it's why it's almost always better to pick up in trade.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I think the cover is well drawn for the most part BUT there is no way it should be possible to see more than one of Tri-Klops' eyes when looking at him straight on...... It's a nit pick but it drive me nuts.

Here is a pic to help illustrate my point, think of each point of the triangle as the location of one eye.....
    thumbnail_triangle_circle.jpg

The story is moving along nicely and I still think the Despera angle (and subsequent fallout) is the best thing to happen to the Mythos since She-Ra was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Problem with comics in general anymore, it's why it's almost always better to pick up in trade.
    That's true. I've gone mostly to trades... or waiting for a while and getting them digitally for $1.99/each like with these. But the problem is, with that, that I want to read the next issue NOW and end up waiting with everyone else again.