Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 1:4 statues from POP Culture Shock

Happy to know the B style will be used. It will be awesome to finally have a Filmation-styled he-man in status form for the first time!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I really want to see this line do well and I will support it as long as I like the finished product. I am somewhat hesitant about the Filmation heavy style though. I think that would work well for a line of smaller animated maquettes at a more affordable price, but I don't want to pay $325-350 for a simplistic version of He-man. I want to see a high level of detail that matches what Sideshow, Gentle Giant, and PCS do with similarly priced statues. I think the PCS Lion-O and Mumm-ra are good examples of what I would like to see because they are instantly recognizable as those characters but feature a more realistic and less animated look.
    This is exactly where I'm at, 100%.

Animated-style maquettes at the 7-8" scale, or PVC style figures like we've seen with JLU, IMO these are far better avenues to explore such heavily Filmation-accurate releases.

I would definitely love to see more artistic license taken, especially knowing what amazing creations Jerry Macaluso is capable of.

Posted this afternoon by Pop Culture Shock

Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...19958934_n.jpg
    Was there ever any doubt that the first two would be He-Man & Skeletor
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Close up of He-Man sans Hair

Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Awesome! Looking cool.

where do you get more info on the items.... I will buy these 100% no matter the cost as they look amazing....
    I have the power

I can do that...

Seriously though, looks very Filmation.. Nice job.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!! FINALLY. Filmation He-Man! Freakin FINALLY!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

His hair is too puffy on the sides, they should really fix that... no matter the motion, on a statue is safer to keep it down or else it might look too girly.
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

Can anyone give me anymore info on these items??? Website and so on as i am very keen
    I have the power

There is currently no info to give as they are not officially for sale yet, but they are being made by Pop Culture Shock. Just pop that name into Google and it will bring you back a large number of places that sell their statutes as well as their own website

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I was really looking forward to these, moreso than anything else MOTU related on the horizon. But now after seeing these early sculpts I've lost all interest. Despite having a place in many collector's hearts Filmation has never been and will never be MOTU to me. Like Lay Ze-Man and Zodach I also can't see why someone would buy an expensive large scale collectible with a simplistic, cartoony aesthetic. For example, I like Bruce Timm's art and I would probably buy small scale statues of his Batman TAS designs if they were reasonably priced, but I wouldn't shell out hundreds of dollars for a quarter scale cartoon Riddler. Still, even though these are definitely not for me, I'm sure Jerry will do an awesome job for what these are and Filmation fans will be pleased.

I'm eager to see what "more realistic" stuff might come down the pipeline though!
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    I was really looking forward to these, moreso than anything else MOTU related on the horizon. But now after seeing these early sculpts I've lost all interest. Despite having a place in many collector's hearts Filmation has never been and will never be MOTU to me. Like Lay Ze-Man and Zodach I also can't see why someone would buy an expensive large scale collectible with a simplistic, cartoony aesthetic. For example, I like Bruce Timm's art and I would probably buy small scale statues of his Batman TAS designs if they were reasonably priced, but I wouldn't shell out hundreds of dollars for a quarter scale cartoon Riddler. Still, even though these are definitely not for me, I'm sure Jerry will do an awesome job for what these are and Filmation fans will be pleased.

I'm eager to see what "more realistic" stuff might come down the pipeline though!
    Please don't compare the lackluster, disproportionate character designs of Batman: TAS to the awesomeness that is Filmation's Masters Of The Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    Please don't compare the lackluster, disproportionate character designs of Batman: TAS to the awesomeness that is Filmation's Masters Of The Universe.
    Yeah, I don't at all understand why Timm's BTAS work is considered some of the best work in animation history . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    There is no comparison. Batman TAS was a series with real animation, done by people who knew the craft. Filmation was a very low budget production that had recycled animations that were rotoscoped on top of live action footage I assume because the artists involved either couldn't draw or couldn't animate. I don't really know. I do know people have different tastes though. Most of the people here grew up with Filmation and they hold it very dear. I didn't and unfortunately I can't see it through the eyes of nostalgia. To me it's hard to even view it as a legitimate part of the property. It feels like a parody to me, and a bad one at that. That's why I said I'm happy for Filmation fans, but I personally have no interest in these.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Yeah, I don't at all understand why Timm's BTAS work is considered some of the best work in animation history . . .
    I hope you are being facetious. Next I expect someone to start ripping on Chuck Jones.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Heroic Warrior
    There is no comparison. Batman TAS was a series with real animation, done by people who knew the craft. Filmation was a very low budget production that had recycled animations that were rotoscoped on top of live action footage I assume because the artists involved either couldn't draw or couldn't animate. I don't really know. I do know people have different tastes though. Most of the people here grew up with Filmation and they hold it very dear. I didn't and unfortunately I can't see it through the eyes of nostalgia. To me it's hard to even view it as a legitimate part of the property. It feels like a parody to me, and a bad one at that. That's why I said I'm happy for Filmation fans, but I personally have no interest in these.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! Oh, man. You almost had me thinking that you were really serious. Good one. Hahahahahaha.
    Last edited by Greyskull; February 8, 2013 at 12:54pm.

I hope you are being facetious. Next I expect someone to start ripping on Chuck Jones.
    Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng, Frank & Ollie, Max Fleischer, Tex Avery, Brad Bird, Hayao Miyazaki, Don Bluth . . . all buffoons!

Buffoons all!!!!

Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng, Frank & Ollie, Max Fleischer, Tex Avery, Brad Bird, Hayao Miyazaki, Don Bluth . . . all buffoons!
    Buffoons all!!!!
    Yeah their designs were all so disproportionate... what's up with that? Why on earth do they have to use imagination when they should just trace actors in medium shots and use those same animations over and over again? Who needs fluid motion or dynamic camera angles in animation?

In defense of filmation, this should be common knowledge by now, the reason they recycled and all that stuff was budget. Lou was insistent that all animation be done in america and that meant EXPENSIVE. all the other studios outsourced to asia which was cheaper so you were able to get more for your money...if it wasn't for Lou's efforts we likely would never have gotten Batman TAS etc. Lou and Norm Prescott gave a lot of nobodies at the time their first shot in animation and those nobodies went on to do AMAZING work. so it may not be your taste which is fine, but there was a TONNE of talent at filmation, and their artists were amazing. Classical and correct anatomy for the most part character designs were scaled back to allow for the more expensive animation, but they made up for it with fanatastic and strange backgrounds, it's only the animation that was weak and again there was a noble reason for that.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    In defense of filmation, this should be common knowledge by now, the reason they recycled and all that stuff was budget. Lou was insistent that all animation be done in america and that meant EXPENSIVE. all the other studios outsourced to asia which was cheaper so you were able to get more for your money...if it wasn't for Lou's efforts we likely would never have gotten Batman TAS etc. Lou and Norm Prescott gave a lot of nobodies at the time their first shot in animation and those nobodies went on to do AMAZING work. so it may not be your taste which is fine, but there was a TONNE of talent at filmation, and their artists were amazing. Classical and correct anatomy for the most part character designs were scaled back to allow for the more expensive animation, but they made up for it with fanatastic and strange backgrounds, it's only the animation that was weak and again there was a noble reason for that.
    All really good points.

But there's a difference between recognizing the historical and influential significance of something vs. any perceived quality being able to stand the test of time.

And maybe that's not fair, but time is unfair and unforgiving of almost everything.

No one wants to personally bash Lou Scheimer as he was absolutely a pioneer and in his chief role (bringing joy and positivity to kids) he was undeniably successful.

I just think that for those of us who reject Filmation as nowhere near an ideal interpretation of the MotUniverse, we just kinda wish he would've tackled another property to do what he did so successfully.

Specifically in this context because we might've been able to get a way cooler statue out of the bargain.

Heroic Warrior
    Just thought I'd stop in and remind everybody that, compared to Filmation's He-man and the Masters Of The Universe, Batman: TAS looks like garbage. Take care.

All really good points.

But there's a difference between recognizing the historical and influential significance of something vs. any perceived quality being able to stand the test of time.

And maybe that's not fair, but time is unfair and unforgiving of almost everything.

No one wants to personally bash Lou Scheimer as he was absolutely a pioneer and in his chief role (bringing joy and positivity to kids) he was undeniably successful.

I just think that for those of us who reject Filmation as nowhere near an ideal interpretation of the MotUniverse, we just kinda wish he would've tackled another property to do what he did so successfully.

Specifically in this context because we might've been able to get a way cooler statue out of the bargain.

I loved filmation, but there are times I wish they delved deeper into mythology that they introduced and took the series as a whole more serious, but i still can appreciate good that filmation DOES have (you just have to be open to seeing it) but that said I would love a young justice quality MOTU toon. and I do wonder what would have happened if MOTU wasn't subject to Lou Scheimer's noble causes.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior

Pop Culture Shock He-Man statue teaser

Check it out, guys. Looks awesome. Filmation look, not overboard with the realism. I love it. I'll get this as soon as it's on pre-order, for sure.

heman-turn-02-14b.jpg
    Last edited by Pancho; February 17, 2013 at 02:04pm. Reason: More stuff