Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 1:4 statues from POP Culture Shock

I would love to have it. I have all the 200x statues, and this would fit nicely next to them. However, $500+ for a statue/bust is out of the question for me.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

To what MOTU fans were they trying to appeal to with this piece? It's not Filmation. It's not 200x. It's not vintage. It's not Classics. Total swing and a miss. Maybe they could get fans to pay that crazy price if it was a version of Skeletor that was actually recognizable.
    Last edited by Man-E-Toys; August 16, 2013 at 10:30pm.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    For me i dont mind it but it could had been better which is disappointing as ive wanted a full scale bust for ages, love the light up eyes, but where is the skeletor name on the base and the bones for me are the wrong color.

As another had mentioned it appears as another skull face terror. I like it but dont love it. Ive emailed them for a shipping price to Australia but yet to hear from them.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Court Magician
    Hey all,

I can understand why people may have gripes about the full sized bust... but I think people have to keep in mind statues of this size requires a bit more to their design such as more details to the head because that's where the focus tends to be. Imagine a bust of this size of a filmation skeletor head... I would think people would be more disappointed at how plain and simple it was and would not be able to justify the price tag for a simple reincarnation of their cartoon.

Also, keep in mind that Pop Culture also needs to have these statues approved by Mattel before final release and it needs to be kept in line with what direction Mattel want's to head towards. And it looks as though both Pop Culture and Mattel appear to be heading in a Filmation - David Wilkins (artist of the new MOTU comics) direction. For me, this is how a bust of this size should be. This I believe is a situation that occurred when the 200X cartoon came out but look how successful that lines turned out to be. I think Pop Culture Shock is headed in the right direct.

As for connecting with Pop Culture, you will need to be a little patient with them and give them a few days to get back to you as they just started soliciting their statues through their own site rather than going through sideshow. Jerry (owner of Pop Culture) did post on another forum that people can also directly contact him as well if they have any questions....I believe he may have his own username on Heman.org.

Not trying to blow sunshine up Pop Culture shocks bung hole... but people should consider the circumstances of what Pop Culture shock is in and the direction they choose to take with certain types of statues they release. Remember that their 1/4 scale line will be in line with the Filmation style.

Thanks all~
    Come follow me and my works in progress on:

Facebook.com/WorldOfWayneCraft

or

www.WorldofWaynecraft.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Master at Arms View Post
    Hey all,

I can understand why people may have gripes about the full sized bust... but I think people have to keep in mind statues of this size requires a bit more to their design such as more details to the head because that's where the focus tends to be. Imagine a bust of this size of a filmation skeletor head... I would think people would be more disappointed at how plain and simple it was and would not be able to justify the price tag for a simple reincarnation of their cartoon.

Also, keep in mind that Pop Culture also needs to have these statues approved by Mattel before final release and it needs to be kept in line with what direction Mattel want's to head towards. And it looks as though both Pop Culture and Mattel appear to be heading in a Filmation - David Wilkins (artist of the new MOTU comics) direction. For me, this is how a bust of this size should be. This I believe is a situation that occurred when the 200X cartoon came out but look how successful that lines turned out to be. I think Pop Culture Shock is headed in the right direct.

As for connecting with Pop Culture, you will need to be a little patient with them and give them a few days to get back to you as they just started soliciting their statues through their own site rather than going through sideshow. Jerry (owner of Pop Culture) did post on another forum that people can also directly contact him as well if they have any questions....I believe he may have his own username on Heman.org.

Not trying to blow sunshine up Pop Culture shocks bung hole... but people should consider the circumstances of what Pop Culture shock is in and the direction they choose to take with certain types of statues they release. Remember that their 1/4 scale line will be in line with the Filmation style.

Thanks all~
    I hear what you're saying in some regards, however, while this bust is reminiscent in some ways to the 200X Skeletor statue and the new Dave Wilkins art, it doesn't really capture either look.

I also understand that a FILMation style bust would have very little detail to work with, but I think a MOTUC inspired face would have been full of awesome detail. Point is, when making a bust with an ultra expensive price tag, it's probably best to actually make the character recognizable. This bust seems much more like a generic evil skeleton than it does Skeletor. I mean if it didn't show some of his chest harness, I wouldn't even believe it was supposed to be Skeletor.

This is an epic fail to me. I'm a die-hard MOTU fan and Skeletor is my favorite character of all time. A life size bust of my favorite character should be making me ecstatic, but sadly it's left me feeling very disappointed and dreaming of how awesome it could've turned out. As I said earlier in this thread, I'll be buying the LED version regardless because I love Skeletor that much. However, I don't see many others being willing to do the same.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Having slept on it, I like this more than I did. It's still not for me, but I do appreciate some of the decisions made, more.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Got an e-mail from Pop Culture Shock last night with the newest sneak peak for an upcoming 1:4 scale statue.

And here is the sketch of Teela!

Teela_Sneak.jpg
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Even though it's just a sketch, that Teela looks spot-on!! So awesome!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Seriously that Teela could be an awesome statue, really looking forward to the Evil-Lyn and Beastman ones to.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Busts aren't my thing, but I think this thing is killer. It seems clear to me that they took the approach of making it look like what Skeletor would look like in real life, and I think it's instantly recognizable.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I like teela and beastman but a bit disapointed with he-man since his haircut is RIDICULOUS and the skeletor bust isn't filmation style at all. That s really shame

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Yeah, I agree that Skelly bust doesn't come together 100%, seems like the individual elements were focused on too keenly with a loss for the overall feel.

Did this real quick in PShop, just with a bit of paint and resizing/repositioning the hood, he starts to look a lot more like ol' Boneface.

Also had to add the bit of his body in there, because the blue skin is one of, if not THE defining characteristic aside from the skull face.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Well the bust is up for pre-order tomorrow, $300 to $500 for shipping to Australia looks like im going to have to past, sucks cause i really want one with the LED eyes too.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Here is an Orko tease....

Orko_Tease.jpg

That orko is pretty cool
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

The colours seem a bit off - the mouthpiece should be less pink and more violet and the hat a deeper orange...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Quote Originally Posted by Gryf View Post
    I like teela and beastman but a bit disapointed with he-man since his haircut is RIDICULOUS and the skeletor bust isn't filmation style at all. That s really shame
    Agreed! I've never been a fan of the Filmation look. He-Man's hair, for some reason, reminds me of Jim Carrey in Dumb in Dumber.
    I think the concept behind the Skeletor bust is cool, just don't think they pulled it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Yeah, I agree that Skelly bust doesn't come together 100%, seems like the individual elements were focused on too keenly with a loss for the overall feel.

Did this real quick in PShop, just with a bit of paint and resizing/repositioning the hood, he starts to look a lot more like ol' Boneface.

Also had to add the bit of his body in there, because the blue skin is one of, if not THE defining characteristic aside from the skull face.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps74eff7ff.jpg
    The bust looks so much better with your touchups .

Quote Originally Posted by Master at Arms View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks all~
    I think they did a great job making a skeleton bust, but it's not really Skeletor to me either. I understand what you say about them having to get licensor approval and be in line with Mattel's direction for the line. But the consumer should not care about that - in fact they should reject that. Mattel should be giving the customer what they want. Mattel is all the time trying to push changes on us we don't want.

So, did anyone here buy the Skeletor bust?

I like Orko. Wonder if he'll come with a bigger statue, or if he'll be a smaller more affordable piece?

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I just pre-ordered the LED version!!

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I really like it, but was going to pass for now for financial reasons.....

My wife hopped online and pre-ordered it for me!!!!!!!!!!

She knows me too well and knew that if I did not pick it up now, that it would cost us even MORE money on the secondary market down the road since I would want to pick it up at some point

Now I just need a room to display this massive thing and the rest of my MOTU goodies!!!! Maybe someday......

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    The bust is pretty cool, but too expensive and far too large for my space. Unfortunately it's the only thing I'm even remotely interested from PCS. I'm a big fan of Jerry's sculpts so I had very high hopes for this partnership, but Filmation has a way of seeping into and ruining all things MOTU these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I just pre-ordered the LED version!!
    Quote Originally Posted by yodafreakmaster View Post
    I really like it, but was going to pass for now for financial reasons.....

My wife hopped online and pre-ordered it for me!!!!!!!!!!

She knows me too well and knew that if I did not pick it up now, that it would cost us even MORE money on the secondary market down the road since I would want to pick it up at some point

Now I just need a room to display this massive thing and the rest of my MOTU goodies!!!! Maybe someday......
    Congrats to both of you.

The color on Orko's hat is way too different. It's supposed to be different, but not that different. Is this just a prototype or something? 'Cause that's jarring.