Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why was She-Ra made He-Man's sister?

Heroic Warrior

Why was She-Ra made He-Man's sister?

Was there ever a reason given why She-ra was made as He-man's sister instead of as a love interest for He-man? I believe I read something years ago about it but can't really remember. Thanks.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I cannot remember why, that is a good question.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..because He-Man is in love with his cat.

The End.

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you, Greyskull!

I would have loved to see He-man and She-ra falling in love.

I want a romantic story line.

They would be perfect for each other.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    I think it would have been great to either have had a love triangle between Prince Adam/He-man and Teela, similar to Clark Kent/Superman and Lois Lane, or to have had She-ra created as Prince Adam's/He-man's love interest. Even as a kid I wanted to see this. I think it's disappointing that they decided not to go down these routes. Wasted opportunities.

Heroic Warrior
    He-man and She-ra looked so perfect together.

What a power couple they would have made!

I think this route, if Filmation would have taken it, could have attracted more girls to the show and kept the franchise going.

Perhaps we would have gotten more He-man and She-ra movies.

The reality is that romantic plots sell. You cannot have two gorgeous people and not have them fall in love.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    it could have gone either way.... honestly, as a kid, i wasn't into mushy stuff, so i loved watching she-ra. if they'd made them a romantic relationship instead of a family, i may not have watched. i guess it's just a preference. you can't have it both ways, so you have to just pick one way to do it.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

The reason I've read is that there was too much romantic tension between He-man and Teela already.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Heroic Warrior
    I really don't like Teela's personality. She's not sympathetic, warm, and caring like Adora. That's why I prefer Adora for Adam.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    I really don't like Teela's personality. She's not sympathetic, warm, and caring like Adora. That's why I prefer Adora for Adam.
    Understandable. But it could have been different had Filmation made her and Adam/He-man romantic from the beginning.

Heroic Warrior
    It wouldn't have been different for me because I think Adora/She-ra is prettier and nicer. She's also more kind, caring, empathic, and patient.

Adora/She-ra's compassion is what makes her stronger and more powerful than Teela.
    Last edited by dura_grip; December 19, 2012 at 09:39pm.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    it would be interesting if teela turned out to be adam's sister and so she'd be she-ra, and adora was just adora was the romantic interest... hmmm.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyAngora View Post
    it could have gone either way.... honestly, as a kid, i wasn't into mushy stuff, so i loved watching she-ra. if they'd made them a romantic relationship instead of a family, i may not have watched. i guess it's just a preference. you can't have it both ways, so you have to just pick one way to do it.
    Of course they could have it both ways. Whether they would be allowed to (without causing a commotion), now that's a whole 'nother matter.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    There was a lot of chemistry between He-man and She-ra, and Adam and Adora, during the Filmation series. I think settly Filmation was trying to have it both ways.

Heroic Warrior
    Most non-fans seem to think that He-Man and She-Ra ARE a couple anyway!

One of my female friends dressed up as She-Ra for a party and went around introducing herself as He-Man's girlfriend. At least until I told her that they were actually twin brother and sister!

the less romance, the better, I like things the way the are.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    During a panel at either SDCC or Power-Con someone (I think Larry DiTillio) said one of the only requirements from Mattel during development was that She-Ra be He-Man's sister.

It makes sense from the perspective of they think little boys buying the He-man toys would think it was icky for He-Man to have a girlfriend.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Heroic Warrior
    I want to see He-man and She-ra get married.

I think they can do it now by building on the MYP He-man canon. It essentially rebooted the series and the story.

2 gorgeous people falling in love. could it be anymore boring and predictable? pffffffffffffffffffffssssssssssssssssssssssstttttt tttttttttttt

Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Calligar View Post
    2 gorgeous people falling in love. could it be anymore boring and predictable? pffffffffffffffffffffssssssssssssssssssssssstttttt tttttttttttt
    I'm with you, I thoroughly agree with you!
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

Could it be more obvious reason than the fact that MOTU and POP were made for YOUNG boys and girls...and if you include any kind of romance in the story, you will loose most of the little boys fans since they don't want to have anything with it. Besides they can't identify with He-Man having a girlfriend, but they can identify with He-Man having a sister. These toys can bring boys and girls to play together, brothers and sisters could collect them together...

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Could it be more obvious reason than the fact that MOTU and POP were made for YOUNG boys and girls...and if you include any kind of romance in the story, you will loose most of the little boys fans since they don't want to have anything with it.
    Well, sadly, because of our society's stupid age-old pigeon-holing of masculinity and "macho-ness", a lot of little boys didn't watch POP anyway simply because it was "for girls". Thankfully, I was not one of those little boys. I treasure my memories of watching POP...many a happy afternoon did I spend on Etheria!
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I like the family connection between He-Man and She-Ra more than a romantic one. It gives more reason for Adora to have the Power of Grayskull even though she's not on Eternia. Plus it gives a better reason for Adam/He-Man to travel to Etheria in the first place.

Widget
    I always wanted a brother when I was a kid, and I wanted to be She-Ra, so it totally made sense to me. Plus, as you say, wayneepoo, her connection to Grayskull wouldn't have made much sense.
    Now is time for cake!
    Twitter: @geeky_vixen

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Well I would definitely bring them together in 'my' movie, but only as far as putting them on the same freakin planet already.

Adam and Adora as twins is essential to the proper story telling and structure of character in Masters.