Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why was She-Ra made He-Man's sister?

There's part of me that things a love triangle or a love interest spanning two worlds would be way too advanced for the target audience. Family relationships would be much easier to understand.
    - I've got my corn sword, I'm good.

I wouldn't have She-Ra as anything other than He-Man's sister. Adora put in with Sea Hawk, and anyway, I think that kind of relationship other than what it's portrayed as just takes away the heroines' guidance for girls. She-Ra was a role model fighting a war; she liberated girls from many stereotypes while maintaining that girls should be who they are intrinsically...and it doesn't always include romance. That's my .02 anyway.
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat

Heroic Warrior
    But He-man and She-ra looked so sexy together though.

Especially with He-man's buff arm around her, and She-ra's long, gorgeous, flowing blonde mane as he leads her away.

They are the perfect, most beautiful, power couple as they cross swords.

You know, I was just reading back through this, and kinda thought that the reason behind this might be imitation. She-Ra first aired in the fall of 85 which is only two years and a bit after Return of the Jedi opened. Do you think that maybe He-Man and She-ra might have been the MOTU answer to Luke and Leia?

- I've got my corn sword, I'm good.

Heroic Warrior
    That's just another reason why they should have made He-man and She-ra lovers. The "I Have the Power" song even says "For better or for worse....." In my opinion Mattel and Filmation really dropped the ball by making them just brother and sister.

The romantic connection would have given He-man all the reason to stay on Etheria or She-ra to go with him to Eternia. Hordak would have been no match for the two of them together.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The character had to come from a place of equal standing.

Making She-Ra the love interest would have automatically weakened her, unfairly perhaps. But in the 80s, the girlfriend was likely less strong, less dominant, less interesting, in media

It also would have sexualized He-Man. That was not where Mattel and Filmation wanted to go.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation made She-ra stronger and more powerful than He-man.

So making He-man the dominant male boyfriend would have made sense to appease the Masters of the Universe fans.

Also, to appeal to girls it would have been good to make She-ra more girly.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    i'm glad she-ra wasn't more girly... that wouldn't have appealed to me at all. the whole reason i liked she-ra was that she was confident, good, and didn't need a man to make her great.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

Heroic Warrior
    I just believe making He-man and She-ra a romance story would have kept the series alive. Everyone likes a good love story.

There's more potential for development.

It would have captured and compelled the audience to keep on watching to see if Adam and Adora would finally get together.

Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    Everyone likes a good love story.
    The most of boys hate it!

It would have captured and compelled the audience to keep on watching to see if Adam and Adora would finally get together.
    Do you really think that it is something interesting to young boys??? "Would they finally get together" YUCK!!!

I am so glad that series was as it was.

Heroic Warrior
    She-ra was targeted for girls so yes a love story would have worked and kept them watching to see if Adam and Adora would hook up.

She-ra was targeted for girls so yes a love story would have worked and kept them watching to see if Adam and Adora would hook up.
    If you look that way, then He-Man was just for boys, and they would hate to see him in some love story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    If you look that way, then He-Man was just for boys, and they would hate to see him in some love story.
    I know I would have

heck I would still hate that, I would find it very unlikeable
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    It's an interesting contention - and seems to have provoked some thoughtful responses, too.

It's very difficult to view it in the light of Adam and Adora NOT being siblings, of course, so the inevitable taboo creeps in at this point....

All the same. I can see why, under other circumstances, it would have worked for some (and please forgive me, Wolfie - don't tear out my throat!) - if not all fans.

If anyone is interested in seeing He-Man caught up in a love triangle (of a rather strange kind) then that is a strong element of the fiction I have been posting episodically here on the Org.
    It won't suit all - but some do seem to like it, and it has already had over 70,000 views - slightly to my surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    It's an interesting contention - and seems to have provoked some thoughtful responses, too.

It's very difficult to view it in the light of Adam and Adora NOT being siblings, of course, so the inevitable taboo creeps in at this point....

All the same. I can see why, under other circumstances, it would have worked for some (and please forgive me, Wolfie - don't tear out my throat!) - if not all fans.

If anyone is interested in seeing He-Man caught up in a love triangle (of a rather strange kind) then that is a strong element of the fiction I have been posting episodically here on the Org.
    It won't suit all - but some do seem to like it, and it has already had over 70,000 views - slightly to my surprise.
    But now you are dealing with adult fans, and we were talking about Filmation series which was made for kids in the 80s.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    But now you are dealing with adult fans, and we were talking about Filmation series which was made for kids in the 80s.
    Well, yes - I was aware of that small matter, thanks!
    My own tale has a mature tone to it for just that exact reason; we are grown ups now.
    However, I doubt that there are all that many adult MotU fans nowadays who would necessarily condone incest......

celebrity-pictures-mark-hamill-farm-boy.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Eh. Adora had Sea Hawk. She-Ra had Bow.

He-Man had Teela, Frosta and Sweet-Bee. There was plenty of romance in MOTU and PoP without needing to add a He-Man and She-Ra relationship into the mix.

I personally really like the Adora and Sea Hawk relationship, especially the fact that Sea Hawk seemingly prefers the "human" Adora to the "super-powered" She-Ra (or is smart enough to have figured out that they're the same person). And its great that Adora's influence manages to turn Sea Hawk from being a pirate who sometimes helped The Evil Horde to being a hero who fights The Evil Horde. That's pretty impressive and nicely reflects Adora's own turn from the "dark side".

nope not ALL fans

as a kid I would have hated it if they had give He-Man a girlfriend

as an adult I still hate it.

I have NO interest in romance subplots, especially in cartoons. The whole "will they or won't they" or "they would look so cute together" rubbish is just that...it's rubbish to me. It always has been and it always will be.

so while a LOT of fans may have liked it you can't really use the word "ALL", because that would include me and at every point in my life (including this one) I would find the entire notion to be stomach churningly horrid

Oh and if anyone wonders how I can enjoy the Twilight Saga despite it being NOTHING but sickening romance (something I have just said I detest)...I enjoy it purely because it is so bad, to me it is a glorious trainwreck of ineptitude, a delightful disaster, an awesome abomination.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    nope not ALL fans

so while a LOT of fans may have liked it you can't really use the word "ALL", because that would include me and at every point in my life (including this one) I would find the entire notion to be stomach churningly horrid

Oh and if anyone wonders how I can enjoy the Twilight Saga despite it being NOTHING but sickening romance (something I have just said I detest)...I enjoy it purely because it is so bad, to me it is a glorious trainwreck of ineptitude, a delightful disaster, an awesome abomination.

But - hang on - that's what I said, isn't it? I said that it would (under other circs) have worked for some - but not all fans. Meaning you and the many others - for whom it wouldn't have worked. Including me, actually.... In that particular context 'if not all' has the same meaning as 'but not all.'

But I love your rhapsodising on Twilight... Perfect!

But - hang on - that's what I said, isn't it? I said that it would (under other circs) have worked for some - but not all fans. Meaning you and the many others - for whom it wouldn't have worked. Including me, actually.... In that particular context 'if not all' has the same meaning as 'but not all.'

But I love your rhapsodising on Twilight... Perfect!
    no you said, and I quote...

if not ALL fans.
    all means everyone, which includes me and you

Heroic Warrior
    no you said, and I quote...

all means everyone, which includes me and you

Look, I'm not squaring-up here (honestly!) but I absolutely promise you that this phrase:

means the following: If the circumstances had been different, then that premise would have worked for some fans - but not for all.

Which excludes from the 'All' bracket those for whom the premise stated would NOT have worked - including you and me. The qualifier in the sentence is the 'not' - which negates the inclusiveness of the 'all'.

Scout's Honour.....

nope "If not all" means "probably everyone" now if you meant "but not all" then you should have used the word "but" using the word "if" before "not all" turns the meaning around to actually mean "ALL"

really the way you have written it you are saying "a lot of people would have liked she-ra and he-man to be dating under different circumstances, in fact possibly everyone"

Heroic Warrior
    nope "If not all" means "probably everyone" now if you meant "but not all" then you should have used the word "but" using the word "if" before "not all" turns the meaning around to actually mean "ALL"

really the way you have written it you are saying "a lot of people would have liked she-ra and he-man to be dating under different circumstances, in fact possibly everyone"
    But - that is NOT what it means - I'm afraid that you are misconstruing that particular sense: unless, of course, the orginal construction has changed according to common usage in the US, though I'm not myself aware of that shift.

However, I really don't want to argue syntax - or to be accused of condoning incest (!) - so let me re-state it in a clear and unequivocal fashion:

All the same, I can see why, under other circumstances, it would have worked for some fans (and please forgive me, Wolfie - don't tear out my throat!) but certainly not for all of them.

And can I have my throat back now, please....?

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe it's better that Adam is Adora's brother. I don't need the compo (ie. the competition).

I really think a romance or two would have been nice. Honestly, relationships are a part of life and I highly doubt all of these characters would have remained single forever.

However, I found the brother-sister dynamic more interesting for He-Man/Prince Adam and She-Ra/Princess Adora. I don't understand the need to revamp and entire mythology because two people "look good together". Makes no sense to me. Besides, Teela and Adam needed to just get a room and get it over with...