Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why was She-Ra made He-Man's sister?

This may shock some people, but I was pretty immature when I was 5. I liked and watched She-Ra and thought the brother sister thing was cool, had it been a romance between the two, I would not have watched it.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    It was the mid 80's and the original Star Wars was still fresh in the public's minds may have had something to do with it. But I also think that it put She-Ra on another level, She is more an equal to He-Man than say Bat Girl was to Batman.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

No thanks... it would have been odd anyway. Letting them live on separate planets wouldn't have made for a happy relationship. Even with portals.

Plus.... the story line would have had to have been completely altered... and Frosta wouldn't be pleased.

I liked some of the sibling relationship they had. I think it makes it somewhat original. For example, I noticed in a few episodes like "Sweet Bee's Home" and that one with Castaspella and Adam that She-ra's not above making fun of her brother's interactions with women, and find that adds to rounding out her personality.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Could it be more obvious reason than the fact that MOTU and POP were made for YOUNG boys and girls...and if you include any kind of romance in the story, you will loose most of the little boys fans since they don't want to have anything with it. Besides they can't identify with He-Man having a girlfriend, but they can identify with He-Man having a sister. These toys can bring boys and girls to play together, brothers and sisters could collect them together...

I totally agree

Plus, making them brother and sister allowed for He-Man and She-Ra's stories to develop more independently. Romantic partners are expected to spend a lot more time together than grown up siblings, at least in my experience!

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I have fond memories of being at school when Filmation He-Man and She-Ra first came out and talking about the cartoons with classmates. They were the only TV programmes that both boys and girls liked and discussed together for any length of time. It produced great camaraderie as everyone felt equal because the main male and female leads had equal status and were not in a romantic relationship. It was and is one of the best parts of MOTU and helps make them special.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Romantic relationships weren't very big in children's cartoons. Plus, I'm sure they were influenced by Star Wars' Luke and Leia.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldkardde View Post
    You know, I was just reading back through this, and kinda thought that the reason behind this might be imitation. She-Ra first aired in the fall of 85 which is only two years and a bit after Return of the Jedi opened. Do you think that maybe He-Man and She-ra might have been the MOTU answer to Luke and Leia?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Romantic relationships weren't very big in children's cartoons. Plus, I'm sure they were influenced by Star Wars' Luke and Leia.
    You guys might be onto something there.

Maybe the Horde Empire vs Great Rebellion concept has some connection to the SW conflict as well?

But beyond Star Wars, you can probably find some far more ancient connections with the whole twin heroes thing—Apollo and Artemis, for example. She-Ra even wears a Grecian-inspired outfit.

Also the Gemini, who had two twin sisters as well. Actually there appear to be god/hero twins throughout the mythologies from all over the world.

The idea being that there is something auspicious about twin-hood, the twins have a deeper connection than regular siblings—perhaps even mystical—and just the overall rarity and perceived specialness of twins.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Etherius Eterno View Post
    You guys might be onto something there.

Maybe the Horde Empire vs Great Rebellion concept has some connection to the SW conflict as well?

But beyond Star Wars, you can probably find some far more ancient connections with the whole twin heroes thing—Apollo and Artemis, for example. She-Ra even wears a Grecian-inspired outfit.

Also the Gemini, who had two twin sisters as well. Actually there appear to be god/hero twins throughout the mythologies from all over the world.

The idea being that there is something auspicious about twin-hood, the twins have a deeper connection than regular siblings—perhaps even mystical—and just the overall rarity and perceived specialness of twins.
    Such elements of research as I have done into this parallel strongly suggests that both of you are entirely right - in the classical mythological sense and also with regards to SW's created mythos.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I might be drifting off the topic slightly, but as well as the He-Man and She-Ra connection with Star Wars' Luke and Leia I think there is another earlier connection/influence with the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. This is exemplified by their 1970's TV series which were aimed at children (and teens), provided morals or ideals for behaviour and had an enduring theme of good triumphing over evil. Other He-Man/She-Ra similarities include Nancy Drew appearing as a female counterpart to the Hardy Boys following their success and the production of crossover episodes, The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Because the people who created the show had it written that way that Prince Adam/He-Man have a twin sister Princess Adora/She-Ra.
    2 HIGH PRIESTESS 3 EMPRESS SHE-MAN MASTERS
    He-Man Masters of the Universe Classics Princess of Power She-Ra Bow
    http://mastersoftheuniverseclassicsh...assics-images/

All new marketed ideas have a risk factor which can be greatly reduced if you connect it with a successful brand name .

POP is a different story on different world primarily aimed at girls with enough hearts , fuzzy things and enough pink that would impress my little pony. Run for the hills boys . Ewwwww girly girls .

BUT ..... Wait its He Mans twin sister , She is protector of the crystal castle technically clothed crystal castle style but shares a transformation sequence time equally with that MOTU icon of icons Castle Greyskull . Her sword is familiar with a little gem add on , and she shouts to the heavens "For the Honour of Greyskull." A movie length pilot to fully reprogramme our brains that Adam always had a lost sister . If the boys still dont get it , well a less then dignified Skeletor says ..." A Female Heman !!! "

Boys are happy , girls are happy and Mattel is happy .

POP stands alone with Heman guest starring 4 or 5 times out of 90 episodes just to remind us this show is HEMAN thumbs up approved .

Thats why She Ra is He Mans sister . MOTU Brand name approved yet separate stand alone .

She RA is a Barbie the Barbarian show aimed at selling toys to girls, Swords and shields and real fake hair and toy combs and dresses ooh la la . She Ra / Adora have their "Ken doll" accessories called Bow / Sea hawk .

Sea Hawk and Bow look nothing like He Man because He Man was designed to be "attractive" to boys . BROMANCE .

Teela toy is white and gold and brown , covered in red snake armour to hide anything feminine. Her hair is done up in a tight no nonsense bun . A tough chick worthy of the boy section. The only pink allowed is on Teela,s lips.

In the girl section we have brightly coloured feather weight sissy boy toys not afraid to sport heart designs or share their feelings.
    Last edited by MOLKROM; April 10, 2014 at 09:15pm.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Chronically Groovy Mighty Puundragon's Avatar
    Because it worked out pretty well for the Skywalker twins a few years earlier.

Most of us were told by our parents that Hemans girlfriend was Teela and Skeletors girlfriend was Evil Lynn. It would not have bothered me at age 8 if Heman and She Ra dated .

Would the total allowed cartoon romance eg. hugging / peck on the cheek which we have seen HeMan do many many times really have repulsed us macho men ? All we would really see is perhaps an occasional 2 second hug and kiss on cheek . All the action and monsters would still keep us enthralled . None of us ran when we saw Prince Adam in his barbie pink jacket or Bow,s heart design on his chest < I did wonder about that >

I still hated girls at school dont get me wrong but that had nothing to do with Heman or She RA or whatever interaction they had with the opposite gender. The girls of Eternia and Etheria were cool and if they liked HeMan that was fine because everyone liked HeMan. We know girls like to kiss and hug things they like.

I never felt the POP cartoons were for girls only . Hordak and Co were scarier looking then Skeletor and had more gadjets . I was shocked at how he treated Heman in Secret of the Sword . First Heman was chained in beast island then later his energy is sucked dry . My only sexist thought was why is Heman not leading the rebellion on Etheria . Etheria is an Apocalypse War Zone . Give She RA the cushy job of slapping skeletors wrist every week .
    Last edited by MOLKROM; April 10, 2014 at 09:16pm.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

I think they work just fine as twins.
    He-Man and She-Ra, the ultimate power duo!

When SOTS was first released I felt the news Adam/He-man had a sister was oddly similiar to the 'shock' revelation that Luke and Leia were siblings.
    How do you like that, hero!