View Poll Results: Stylized heads or cleaner heads for MOTUC?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stylized

25 54.35%
  • Cleaner

21 45.65%

Thread: Do you prefer the more cleaner headsculpt or stylized version for MOTUC?

Do you prefer the more cleaner headsculpt or stylized version for MOTUC?

Debate about the human headsculpts for this line have caused a stir. What's your preference?

Just to be clear: We're talking about *edgy* Jistu vs. *smooth* He-Man? Sorry, but the term *stylized* doesn't carry much meaning for me without a style context...

Well, consider Fisto. IMO the best head sculpt in the line to date. I can't imagine his head would look better in a *cleaner* sculpt.

Jitsu's face is an extreme. I personally like him that way, but I also think it shouldn't go further than that - not one bit more extreme and not on other characters.

The fundamental problem appears to be the lack of conformity. You've got your He-Man, Skeletor and others. Those match the *clean* look of the designs of the bucks. When I look at Jitsu and even Fisto without their armour the discrepancy in design becomes more obvious.
    Well, but we display them with their armour, right? I feel that their armour helps *blend* the designs.

Ultimately, I believe it depends on one's personal stance on design. I know there are those among us that didn't much care for the so-called *hyper-detailed Anime design* in 200X, and are glad that it's gone.
    And then there are those that liked it and have occasionally asked about more 200X ind MotUC.

I for one am still secretly dreaming about a 200X inspired Skeletor in MotUC with much of his detailing (belt, greaves, bracers, etc.) ad a new *edgier* head sculpt. I guess what I'd like could be called *super-detailed classic design* because the 200X line at times went too far for my tastes.

Well, looks like I'm somewhere in the middle, which is why I haven't voted yet.

In Classics I prefer the cleaner look, Jitsu & Marzo are too much, Fisto is just about as far as they should go. 200X style had it's place, and now it's gone, Vintage is what MOTUC is based on, so therefore Vintage is what we should get. But, the 200X inspired accessories are OK, but the bodies are clean and very Vintage inspired, over styled heads just do not fit the bodies, and that is why I don't like Jitsu, his head is way overstyled for the MOTUC buck....If Jitsu had a more Vintage styled head with a slight touch of what we are getting....then I'd think about it, but I just don't like it, and I plan to sell him.

I mean if we get a head like Jitsu, then why all the BS about 200X heads though? I don't want overstyled heads in MOTUC, but how is Jitsu any different than Marzo? I think it's a double standard because Jitsu is a Vintage based figure unlike the version of Marzo we got....So....how is Jitsu's head OK?
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I think Jitsu looks amazing. Marzo is also one of my favorite headsculpts in the entire line, so I'm going with some style.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

I tend to go for the 'cleaner' looks. I think Jitsu and Marzo look fine actually. In fact, I think that having a few figures with such head sculpts adds more diversity to the line as a whole, making each figure unique.

Would you rather have stylized unique characters, or palette swaps up the wazoo?

I prefer the cleaner look as it fits the motuc buck better. I also believe this line is more vintage inspired so we should have more consistency with the cleaner head sculpt. Shadowfall said it best..

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Cleaner for me too.

While most of the characters look fantastic, including Jitsu, there are a couple of exceptions. Marzo, for example, looks like he stepped out of DBZ...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Some figures suit a cleaner look and some suit a more stylized design so it's hard for me to choose one or the other. I went for stylized as a vote for cleaner almost felt like I was voting for less detailing.

I find bad guys look better stylized while good guys look better with the cleaner look.

Snappy Threader
    Either is fine with me. I rather like the variety and diversity, meaning I'm happy with them being somewhat different to be more individual.

I don't think cleaner has to mean no detail, it just means that the lines are smoother and more realistic looking like Fisto as opposed to an almost extreme pointy hair Anime look like Marzo and old 200X figures, or an overly detailed for the buck head like Jitsu, that is almost borderline into 200X territory. That is the difference to me, so I had no issues voting cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Cleaner for me too.

While most of the characters look fantastic, including Jitsu, there are a couple of exceptions. Marzo, for example, looks like he stepped out of DBZ...
    You know, I was thinking Yugi-Oh!....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 22, 2012 at 02:49pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Stylized. Anything but a Vintage Rehash™.
    Classics isn't a carbon copy of the vintage line and it isn't 200X, but it's own line.

For me, Jitsu's new stern martial arts master face made him go from a "Meh" character to someone I'm actually excited for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    In Classics I prefer the cleaner look, Jitsu & Marzo are too much, Fisto is just about as far as they should go. 200X style had it's place, and now it's gone, Vintage is what MOTUC is based on, so therefore Vintage is what we should get. But, the 200X inspired accessories are OK, but the bodies are clean and very Vintage inspired, over styled heads just do not fit the bodies, and that is why I don't like Jitsu, his head is way overstyled for the MOTUC buck....If Jitsu had a more Vintage styled head with a slight touch of what we are getting....then I'd think about it, but I just don't like it, and I plan to sell him.

I mean if we get a head like Jitsu, then why all the BS about 200X heads though? I don't want overstyled heads in MOTUC, but how is Jitsu any different than Marzo? I think it's a double standard because Jitsu is a Vintage based figure unlike the version of Marzo we got....So....how is Jitsu's head OK?
    Marzo has the windswept hair. It's not the number of lines in the face.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

I agree with Shadowfall1976. I like Fisto and Clamp Champ, dislike Jistu, Marzo, and Chief Carnivus; in terms of head sculpt.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Classics isn't a carbon copy of the vintage line and it isn't 200X, but it's own line.
    A lot of them are carbon copies of the vintage product art, though.

Attached Images Attached Images
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

What he said.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Cleaner doesn't necessarily mean vintage rehash. Give Man-at-arms for example,smoother head sculpt and nice UPDATE of vintage toy. I just really enjoy nostalgia with this line that's all.. .
    Last edited by King Criss79; December 22, 2012 at 11:28pm.

i like the sculpts as is but i hae noticed the increasing stylized look to some male human face sculpts and i would not vote for more of this

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post

I agree 100%!!! The cleaner head goes better with the clean MOTUC buck...

For me, Jitsu's new stern martial arts master face made him go from a "Meh" character to someone I'm actually excited for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Marzo has the windswept hair. It's not the number of lines in the face.
    Jitsu has a somewhat similar look as well, even though it's pretty much a ponytail, but his beard is stylized as well, extra pointy, looks more Anime than the rest of Classics....the 200X look is not just all about windswept hair. It's hard pointier lines, way too much over styling, and even the toys had too much Anime type effect to them, which is why I passed on the entire line, they didn't scream MOTU to me at all.

Also Classics may be it's own line, and not a Vintage rehash, but almost every figure is at least 90% dead on to the Vintage figure. Only thing separating the Vintage figures from Classics is better updated faces, that look less like ballooned out rubber and more like real living people & creatures.

Not to mention, for Fisto & Jitsu their heads are a little too small for the Classics buck, if you look at the just right they look off....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Even He-Man is not a vintage carbon copy... he's got a little Filmation in him. With that said, I don't want the blocky look of the 200X TOYS. Clawful's head works once the black in his eyebrows is gone... and his facial proportions are slightly more monster-like which eliminate the Goofy "Mexican Luchador" vibe that the vintage figure had. Buzz-Off... He can't be saved unless a new More Insectoid face is made (Not necessarily the 200X face, but adding the 200X Spikes to the vintage head and maybe making the face look a bit more Insect-like while keeping the overall vintage shape more or less would do wonders for him.)

Yes, I chose Stylized because it's the answer that is closer to what I want in MOTUC... (both options are a bit flawed, since we can have "stylized" while being "clean" MOTUC He-Man is an example of that.

If the choices were:
    A: Vintage Toy Copies
    B: 200X Toy Copies
    C: something new taking the best elements from both Vintage and 200X

My answer would be C.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.