View Poll Results: Should Cloth Parts Be Allowed In MOTUC?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

55 45.08%
  • yes

26 21.31%
  • only on a per character basis

41 33.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You Be Opposed to Cloth/Fabric in MOTUC?

Should cloth/fabric parts be allowed in MOTUC?

I know these are dirty words around here, but would people be opposed to cloth/fabric parts or pieces for characters? For example, many of the POP figures had cloth on their vintage counterparts. Some designs would be easier to make if they could simply have fabric clothing instead of hard plastic. Would people here be opposed to some characters having cloth parts?

We already have Grizzlor with fur, so it's sort of similar to have soft material in place of hard plastic. Not every new figure, just some for which articulation and design could be an issue.
    Last edited by sirsniffy; December 24, 2012 at 12:14pm.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Would You Be Opposed to Cloth/Fabric in MOTUC?
    As such no. I would not be opposed to cloth/fabric in MOTUC.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    I clicked yes...why is it saying I clicked no?

I have been missing cloth capes since the late 90's. We get them every once and a while on a smaller figure, but I feel that they're better for display. Yeah, I get that it'll always look perfect in plastic for the most part. But, I doesn't weigh down the figure and doesn't hinder the articulation.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I think for some softer things would be good, for one I hate that Adam has his arms so far out to the sides because he's wearing a simple shirt, like he has on Battle Armor or something....

I would like hair to somehow be softer....She-Ra's bugs the hell out of me, and the lack of posability with the hair on many figure....

I think however the molded capes look good as opposed to being cloth....so, not exactly sure how to vote....it's not really a figure basis, it's more a what on what figure basis.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I voted for the only on a per character basis option.

A good example would be Netossa. Her cape/net should have been a cloth fabric...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I'd say yes but there has to be a certain level of quality to the material and how it's used. King Greyskull's cape comes to mind. It would have to match the quality of the rest of the figure or else it's a waist of time.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Yeah, Netossa definitely needed a cloth/net like material for her cape. I could see it being useful on someone like Eldor as well. You know, give him a real Obi-Wan Kenobi vibe.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, Netossa definitely needed a cloth/net like material for her cape. I could see it being useful on someone like Eldor as well. You know, give him a real Obi-Wan Kenobi vibe.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Snappy Threader
    Soft goods would be cool, but I bet it would be harder to get the look right.

Yes. There are figures that could have possibly had them earlier on which (imo only) and if they did start doing it now would seem inconsistent. Had they done it from the start, i don't think i'd be against it.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    I won't buy figures with clothes, they look silly on small figures... Adam looks really better with the plastic vest...

you know what? at first i was a little bit disappointed that Mattel was using plastic to make capes and such, but i've grown so used to it that i kinda prefer it now ... and besides, a figure with cloth now would clash against what we already have.

Also, you got a little mixed up in making the questions , i mean, first you ask "Do you oppose to cloth", then you ask "Would you be in favour of cloth" . I believe some folks (liek me for example) may have been misguided.
    Last edited by Arkangel; December 24, 2012 at 12:06pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    you know what? at first i was a little bit disappointed that Mattel was using plastic to make capes and such, but i've grown so used to it that i kinda prefer it now and besides, a figure will cloth now would clash against what we already have.

Also, you got a little mixed up in making the questions , i mean, first you ask "Do you oppose to cloth", then you ask "Would you be in favour of cloth" . I believe some folks (liek me for example) may have been misguided.
    I agree 100%!

First the questions are confusing, if you answer "yes" to the title should be "no" to the poll question. Please change the thread title to match the poll question.

As for the question I think it depends on the character, if you want something unique like Grizzlor then it is worthy. But to apply this to every cape or cloth I don't think that would be good aesthetically. For example Scareglow's cape is perfect the way it is while the vintage was fabric.

Sorry for the confusion...Vbulletin frustrates me cause it makes you do the poll AFTER the whole post. I forgot what I wrote, lol.

Fabric should definitely be allowed.

Sure, on a case-by-case basis.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Unfortunately, the thread title caused me to mess up my vote. I answered No, as I thought the question was "Are you opposed to cloth/fabric in MOTUC?"

For the record, my vote should have been Yes, I am in favour of fabric.

I said on a case by case basis......but it would really be when absolutly necessary only.....like in Grizlor's case to keep the vintage look. I do NOT want to start having figures with rooted hair or dress up outfits (sorry fashion fans)...that would be very out of place IMO. The only exception would be Gwildor honestly as I think he may benefit from it....but even then I'm torn cause it may look out of place as well. Karg would be cool too as he never had a figure and he would probably turn out awesome that way. It would be way more noticable on the ladies though as we have enough of them established already without it. Eldor's robe would even be out of place now as I would asume it would be done now in a similar fashion to PD He-man for continuity. Had they done this from the start it would be a completely different story, but now that we're this far into the line it's a little late to make a new standard.

I think that there are some accessories that could have been very interesting in cloth - like Frosta's cape. If they used something iridescent like the original material on the vintage figure, I think that would have been pretty interesting.

Hmm. I guess there's nothing stopping me from making one...I might try that...

Heroic Warrior
    At this point- yes, I'm opposed.

One of the main rules of good design is consistency. Following this rule is one of many great traits that put 4H a cut above the rest. If they had been using real softgoods from the beginning, I'd feel differently. Or if they were to go back and remake all capes and such for a special cloth accessories pack which we know will never happen.

no. no purpose.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    no. its good without fabric
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I won't buy figures with clothes, they look silly on small figures... Adam looks really better with the plastic vest...
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It wouldn't bother me if it was on a cape but other than that I don't really see the need for cloth/fabric. So only on a per character basis.

Heroic Warrior
    In general, I am opposed to soft/non-plastic clothes on the MOTUC figures. Primarily because it would look odd to me for some to have cloth goods while many others don't.

Netossa could have used a cloth cape though. That I agree. Her cape is less a "cape" and more an accessory. I really dig how we had fur on Grizzlor, flocking on Moss Man, and rooted hair on Megator. These were all great because they were unique and special to the character. But capes and clothes as a rule should be plastic just to keep the line looking similar.