Thread: An Accurate Filmation Mer-Man head

An Accurate Filmation Mer-Man head

A good friend of mine and I are thinking about working on a Filmation Mer-Man head.
    He's an amazing sculptor who has been doing it for 10+ years.

Pics will come once there's progress. Thanks!
    Merman_01.JPG
    Last edited by Mysterio; December 25, 2012 at 11:44am.

I am sure it'd look awesome on a vintage MOTU Mer-Man, too....count me in.
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I am sure it'd look awesome on a vintage MOTU Mer-Man, too....count me in.
    And Tyke, nice customs! I browsed through you stuff -- very cool! And your Chinese Dragon MOTU guy is pretty sweet. Not sure on a name, but in Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) the word for dragon is Long. And in Mandarin "Hohng" means Red. Maybe Hohng Long? Or Hong Long?

That Filmation Evil Droid rocks! Is that molded? Able to make more?!!? Filmation Ram Man rocks, and I love battle armor Hordak!
    Last edited by Mysterio; December 25, 2012 at 11:45am.

Hell yeah....

One problem though, I encountered planning to re-sculpt my own, it was actually to be my next custom attempt, but has put it on a back burner for me....I looked carefully when eying it up, and the current armor won't allow a Filmation accurate head to work....the armor would have to lose the spikes and be flattened more on the shoulders.....I don't want to mod my original armor, so I will have to get the WP armor and repaint it, or find a regular Mer-Man armor from someone.....Or make a totally new Filmation styled armor from scratch.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Hell yeah....

One problem though, I encountered planning to re-sculpt my own, it was actually to be my next custom attempt, but has put it on a back burner for me....I looked carefully when eying it up, and the current armor won't allow a Filmation accurate head to work....the armor would have to lose the spikes and be flattened more on the shoulders.....I don't want to mod my original armor, so I will have to get the WP armor and repaint it, or find a regular Mer-Man armor from someone.....Or make a totally new Filmation styled armor from scratch.
    Oh!? Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing he would need a high neck joint like Marzo then?
    We have one Mer-Man right now, but need a second for logistics as you just mentioned. Might need
    some witty options/work-arounds. Is your first attempt posted somewhere?

Yes, definitely interested...especially considering the extra Mer-Man I received as my free figure this month.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Yes, definitely interested...especially considering the extra Mer-Man I received as my free figure this month.
    Awesome! Yeah, that's just a happy accident!
    Last edited by Mysterio; December 25, 2012 at 11:46am.

Put me down as interested!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I've been wanting one since I was a kid, but I would need it to come painted, but would gladly pay extra for that service!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Sure, why not?
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    ABSOLUTELY!!! I've been wanting one since I was a kid, but I would need it to come painted, but would gladly pay extra for that service!
    Thanks for everyone's comments!

Sculpting probably won't begin until next month sometime, so please bare with us as this progresses.
    Again, thanks for the suggestions and comments
    Last edited by Mysterio; December 25, 2012 at 11:48am.

Sounds amazing! !

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Sweet! Hopefully there will be significant interest... the more we have, the faster we'll be encouraged

And Tyke, nice customs! I browsed through you stuff -- very cool! And your Chinese Dragon MOTU guy is pretty sweet. Not sure on a name, but in Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) the word for dragon is Long. And in Mandarin "Hohng" means Red. Maybe Hohng Long? Or Hong Long?

That Filmation Evil Droid rocks! Is that molded? Able to make more?!!? Filmation Ram Man rocks, and I love battle armor Hordak!
    Why thank you, Mysterio! I am honored! That Evil Droid came from some customizer a couple years ago---all I did was paint it....I can't remember who gave it to me! As for HONG LONG....dude, I really like that! Sounds very retro '80s! THANK YOU!
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

Update: This thread is just about our Merman Filmation head sculpt's design, progress and process! Any other aspects of the head would be posted elsewhere in another part of the forums at a later date.

And feel free to PM with any questions. Thank you.

(Sorry for breaking any rules/guidelines)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Oh!? Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing he would need a high neck joint like Marzo then?
    We have one Mer-Man right now, but need a second for logistics as you just mentioned. Might need
    some witty options/work-arounds. Is your first attempt posted somewhere?
    No, I never got past the planning stage and I only had one Mer-Man myself, so I never cut into him to see....but I just saw that to be properly proportioned, and look Filmation the fins would hit the spikes on his armor, the Vintage figure never had those spikes, neither did the cartoon....that's a 200X aspect I could have lived without on the figure. But the only fix I could see was to modify the armor, I never got another Mer-Man to work on, so I never did anything further....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

i wanted to do this for long time already but didnt had the chance yet, but i will soon ...
    Last edited by dark knight; December 27, 2012 at 05:12pm.
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

As a kid I never understood why so many different faces for Mer-Man. He has the be the most inconsistently portrayed character in the line. The 8-back/early mini comic versions (both blue and green) look way different from the toy, which looks way different from the Filmation version.

I like them all though. Cool project!
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    No, I never got past the planning stage and I only had one Mer-Man myself, so I never cut into him to see....but I just saw that to be properly proportioned, and look Filmation the fins would hit the spikes on his armor, the Vintage figure never had those spikes, neither did the cartoon....that's a 200X aspect I could have lived without on the figure. But the only fix I could see was to modify the armor, I never got another Mer-Man to work on, so I never did anything further....
    Yup, I totally know what you mean -- it's all about the armor! We'll see how it goes. I'm thinking it can work with the armor as-is, but just need to be careful with head positioning, as to not bump into the armor spikes. Or, if people are willing to alter their Merman armor, that's an option too, and is more Filmation accurate. As I am not the sculptor, or creative one behind this, we'll see. Hoping to have some progress shots in a couple of weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    As a kid I never understood why so many different faces for Mer-Man. He has the be the most inconsistently portrayed character in the line. The 8-back/early mini comic versions (both blue and green) look way different from the toy, which looks way different from the Filmation version.

I like them all though. Cool project!
    He's my all time fave MOTU character, and I was always puzzled about all his head variations as a kid! I think the Alcala/mini-comic has always been my fave, but I have an affinity for them all! I hope I'm not over-hyping this. I mean, it's hopefully going to just be a great Filmation Merman head. I've seen much greater things than a simple head sculpt in the customs section i.e. Fortress of Power!!!

I didnt make this, but I felt I would share his work, as I thinks its a VERY impressive looking custom Filmation MerMan head.

My buddy has alot more images of his custom heads he made for his figures over on his facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/mast.custom

...which was where I found this image at. Do him a favor, drop him a lien an tell him he makes good stuff, as he needs more exposure for his great custom figures he makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I didnt make this, but I felt I would share his work, as I thinks its a VERY impressive looking custom Filmation MerMan head.
    http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2...tionmerman.jpg
    That is awesome work! I searched a couple weeks back, and didn't find too many Filmation Merman heads for MOTUC. So bloke in Europe and some other guy on the boards here who did a one-off that was kinda bulky. I will make sure our finished work is distinctly different than your buddy's! I'm hoping we can do one with his mouth slightly open as well.

Does your friend have any shots of the head on the buck? I searched his FB photos and didn't find any of MM. Just curious. Either way, great work! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

That is awesome work! I searched a couple weeks back, and didn't find too many Filmation Merman heads for MOTUC. So bloke in Europe and some other guy on the boards here who did a one-off that was kinda bulky. I will make sure our finished work is distinctly different than your buddy's! I'm hoping we can do one with his mouth slightly open as well.

Does your friend have any shots of the head on the buck? I searched his FB photos and didn't find any of MM. Just curious. Either way, great work! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
    Sadly not that I am aware of. I need to PM him an see if he can make a few shots of them on buck/bodies.