Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Granamyr Arrival Thread - Discussion, Assembly info, QC reports, etc

Well I received my Granamyr yesterday and he is awesome. The only thing that could have made him a little better would have been ball joints at the shoulders. I had no issues with putting him together and keeping him together. Paint was good and the box art is gorgeous. I sincerely feel bad for those of you who had problems with yours, hopefully you can all get replacements quickly. I absolutely love the sculpt and once I put him together and sat him down I just had an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. It is just so awesome to see something that was a part of my childhood come to life in 3D. I can't wait for Castle Grayskull. Its gonna be a long year of waiting and anticipating its arrival.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Officially been one week since my Granamyr arrived in FISHERS, INDIANA via "newgistics" aka "Cornerstone Logistics." Last time I'll ever use this sorry pathetic shipping service who over the course of a week can't ship a figure another 4 hours down the road!

12/21/2012

03:19 PM

In transit

Fishers,IN 46037

Is there anybody else out there having this issue or is it just me?
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    My swift wind had two right front legs,it made me mad,it took a month an a half to resolve. Yet I saw so many with no issue, when it happens to you,you post more. When my figure is fine I either say one comment or more often than not I say nothing,but with swift wind I bet I posted 30 times on the same issue,thus with all of my posts,it looked worse than it was.

We need to wait for more customers to have these in hand. Waiting will only get to the truth.
    But that's just it. The counting above is counting individual posters, not amounts of posts.

I agree that it will become more clear as time goes on, but counting the unique posters that say theirs was broken or was not is about as accurate as we can ever get.

Mine hasn't even shipped yet... I hope this delivery of Granamyrs is free of all issues!!!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO HAVE YET TO ASSEMBLE THEIR GRANAMYR!!!

I now believe that I know what the problem is. The plastic used for the connector ring inside the body cavity is too brittle, especially immediately after being delivered, due to the cold weather. I know this because my tail connctor ring was fully in tact, until I tried to assemble it, at which point it broke, which I presume to be the result of the plastic being at a cold temperature, coupled with inferior plastic/design. Mattel should issue a warning to people notifying them that they should allow their figure to come to room temperature, and perhaps even heat the ports up with a hair drier, after coming to room temp, before they assemble the parts. This is a design flaw, and it is not the customers fault if they assemble the figure immediately. The plastic ring is too brittle, and it is too thin in stress bearing places; this is not the customers responsibility, it is the result of poor design, poor testing, and cheap material.

Glad I skipped Granamyr seeing as how Toyguru wants "hundreds of photos of the problems with Granamyr" to pass it on to the proper people. Being that Granamyr probably didn't sell in the hundreds or at the very least the hundreds on He-Man.org, it probably won't be fixed by Mattel. Not being negative, just stating that Mattel isn't putting out an official email to all owners asking if there are problems, so most people will just think "that is the way it is" and continue on in life thinking MOTUC toys have poor QC. Not the image I would want to project, but Mattel is not my company.

Good thing a second shipment is coming. They will need them all for exchanges due to a poor design. Brittle thin plastic = cracking. Hmm... we haven't had this problem with anything from Mattel before. Maybe it was the infamous sonic welder again.
    Last edited by Lookie; December 28, 2012 at 12:51pm.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO HAVE YET TO ASSEMBLE THEIR GRANAMYR!!!

I now believe that I know what the problem is. The plastic used for the connector ring inside the body cavity is too brittle, especially immediately after being delivered, due to the cold weather. I know this because my tail connctor ring was fully in tact, until I tried to assemble it, at which point it broke, which I presume to be the result of the plastic being at a cold temperature, coupled with inferior plastic/design. Mattel should issue a warning to people notifying them that they should allow their figure to come to room temperature, and perhaps even heat the ports up with a hair drier, after coming to room temp, before they assemble the parts. This is a design flaw, and it is not the customers fault if they assemble the figure immediately. The plastic ring is too brittle, and it is to thin in stress bearing places; this is not the customers responsibility, it is the result of poor design, poor testing, and cheap material.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Jeremy View Post
    Officially been one week since my Granamyr arrived in FISHERS, INDIANA via "newgistics" aka "Cornerstone Logistics." Last time I'll ever use this sorry pathetic shipping service who over the course of a week can't ship a figure another 4 hours down the road!

12/21/2012

03:19 PM

In transit

Fishers,IN 46037

Is there anybody else out there having this issue or is it just me?
    Yeah mine says the same thing. Our grannys must be hangin' out together in Fishers, IN.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Glad I skipped Granamyr seeing as how Toyguru wants "hundreds of photos of the problems with Granamyr" to pass it on to the proper people. Being that Granamyr probably didn't sell in the hundreds or at the very least the hundreds on He-Man.org, it probably won't be fixed by Mattel. Not being negative, just stating that Mattel isn't putting out an official email to all owners asking if there are problems, so most people will just think "that is the way it is" and continue on in life thinking MOTUC toys have poor QC. Not the image I would want to project, but Mattel is not my company.

Good thing a second shipment is coming. They will need them all for exchanges due to a poor design. Brittle thin plastic = cracking. Hmm... we haven't had this problem with anything from Mattel before. Maybe it was the infamous sonic welder again.
    This is a good idea. Mattel should follow up with a survey monkey a couple weeks after each months sub ships. A few quick questions about satisfaction and QC. They could amass their own info. They could see what percentage responds, has issues, or are completely satisfied. They could also see if the same customers complain every month or if it is a variety of customers. Seems logical and easy to do, just have a link to a pole that you can access with your Matty log in info, to keep from receiving multiple registers from the same person.

Safer way to assemble granamyr!

When my figure arrived, the ring in the body cavity that his tail attaches to, was in tact. The plastic was cold, which makes it much more brittle. When I tried to assemble the tail, the ring snapped incredibly easy. The plastic is frail, the design causes load bearing weakspots, and the cold plastic expounds both problems dramatically. When your Granamyr figure arrives, allow him to come to room temperature. After coming to room temp, you may even want to heat up the ports (including the arm ports) with a hair dryer a little before assembly. What ever you do, DO NOT assemble him if the plastic is cold.

Also, as for the arm ports, if you assemble the arms first, before you attach the upper torso to the lower body, you can press against the attachment rings inside the torso, while you insert the arms, which will help to keep them from snapping loose. More info on that here - http://www.preternia.com/2012/12/25/...ure-watch-out/

I now believe that I know what the problem is. The plastic used for the connector ring inside the body cavity is too brittle, especially immediately after being delivered, due to the cold weather.
    Here's the problem with part of that theory: Mine came straight from Los Angeles to the San Francisco Bay Area during a time period when the temperature never dipped below 65 degrees and it sat inside for about three hours before I could get around to opening it. A buddy of mine who actually lives in Los Angeles got his the day after it shipped across town and the weather is anything but cold there, another got his from LA to San Diego. People seem to be forgetting that most of the pieces arrived with the socket already broken out of the box, before anything was ever inserted. The problem is certainly that the plastic used is too brittle, but that's because it's cheap plastic and the socket was poorly manufactured. The temperature has little to do with it.

My granny's left arm keeps popping out. Glad I spent almost $200 on two pieces of junk.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Howlor View Post
    Here's the problem with part of that theory: Mine came straight from Los Angeles to the San Francisco Bay Area during a time period when the temperature never dipped below 65 degrees and it sat inside for about three hours before I could get around to opening it. A buddy of mine who actually lives in Los Angeles got his the day after it shipped across town and the weather is anything but cold there, another got his from LA to San Diego. People seem to be forgetting that most of the pieces arrived with the socket already broken out of the box, before anything was ever inserted. The problem is certainly that the plastic used is too brittle, but that's because it's cheap plastic and the socket was poorly manufactured. The temperature has little to do with it.
    The temp has alot to do with it. like I said, the temp is not the problem, but it compounds the propblem dramatically. Warm brittle material is much less likely to break than the same material under cold temperatures. If I were to do the method that I mentioned, and heated up the port before I assembled the tail, I don't think it would have broken. It absolutely is a Mattel problem, but certainly some folks can avoid this problem with the proper care. That's what I think anyway, and I thought I'd try to help others avoid broken figures and a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    My granny's left arm keeps popping out. Glad I spent almost $200 on two pieces of junk.
    Has suggestions on how to make sure your Granamyr’s arms snap in correctly:

http://www.preternia.com/2012/12/25/...ure-watch-out/

My Granamyr Locations is Fishers,IN 46037
    Last edited by Mophead; December 28, 2012 at 04:32pm.

I got my Granamyr today and had no problems on assembling him.Our temperature is freezing out here and no plastic breakage.

I'm still waiting on shipping confirmation for mine--by the time I get it--real dragons will be roaming the earth
    Btw, I ordered mine in the first 5 mins he was available

I just got my Granamyr,along with Procrustus and Mosquitor today!Man....I've been worrying all week about getting a defective Granamyr. Well putting together this badboy felt like performing careful open heart surgery!!! I got him together successfully!! but.....positioning his right arm to touch his knee in his setting position,I starting hearing a cracking sound! I don't know if this is normal and his joints are just getting smoothed out,but just to be safe he's staying in that position,which I was going to leave him in anyway. for a $80 figure we shouldn't have to worry about this stuff.

Anyway.....Granamyr is a BEAUTIFUL figure!!!
    Last edited by TITAN; December 28, 2012 at 06:55pm.

When my figure arrived, the ring in the body cavity that his tail attaches to, was in tact. The plastic was cold, which makes it much more brittle. When I tried to assemble the tail, the ring snapped incredibly easy. The plastic is frail, the design causes load bearing weakspots, and the cold plastic expounds both problems dramatically. When your Granamyr figure arrives, allow him to come to room temperature. After coming to room temp, you may even want to heat up the ports (including the arm ports) with a hair dryer a little before assembly. What ever you do, DO NOT assemble him if the plastic is cold.

Also, as for the arm ports, if you assemble the arms first, before you attach the upper torso to the lower body, you can press against the attachment rings inside the torso, while you insert the arms, which will help to keep them from snapping loose. More info on that here - http://www.preternia.com/2012/12/25/...ure-watch-out/
    Really good advice.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I plan to find out tonight if mine has any problems. I received both my sub order and manual order for Granymyr earlier this week, but with Christmas and other things going on, I haven't opened everything up yet. The only thing I did was check which free figure I got with my sub (Sy-Klone).

So, I'll have to open everything up tonight and assemble to two big figures and see if I run into any of the problems that others have had. Since these have been in doors, I shouldn't have any problems with the temperature of the plastic if Nicholigkun's cold plastic theory is accurate. Hopefully everything will be fine (fingers crossed).
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; December 28, 2012 at 05:07pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Cold plastic or not, the plastic is way too thin for what it has to do, and how much pressure it takes to snap something into it, yes being cold doesn't help, but realistically it shouldn't matter unless you were putting it together outside in 20 degree weather.

Yes, you should probably let the figure warm up a bit before attempting it, but you shouldn't have to think of it just so your figure don't break.

I had to heat DB Skeletor's right arm up at the shoulder just to get the shoulder unlocked up, it would not move at all. As well as doing it to a few figures just to move the ankles....now mind you I am not complaining about tight ankles, just having to heat them to ensure I didn't break them off, which some people have done.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I'm pretty sure we're in agreement. I feel the plastic is faulty, both in thickness, design, and material.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    the plastic is way too thin for what it has to do, and how much pressure it takes to snap something into it,
    Also, cold things are more brittle.

yes being cold doesn't help,
    But here I think is where we may differ, but only a very small amount. I believe that the lower the temp, the more fragile; but that doesn't mean that it has to be 20 degrees outside in order to affect the plastic.

but realistically it shouldn't matter unless you were putting it together outside in 20 degree weather.
    And finally, we agree totally again.

Yes, you should probably let the figure warm up a bit before attempting it, but you shouldn't have to think of it just so your figure don't break.
    This is purely Mattel's bad; but I just want the community to know of some things that can possibly help them avoid issues. I don't doubt for a second that some will still break, as evidenced by the fact that many are arriving broken, but if some people can avoid problems by heating up the ports, and also doing the arms before they assemble the torso to the lower body, so that they can apply pressure to the ring from the inside of the torso, while they assemble the arms, then it's worth mentioning this to as many people as possible. Even if only one persons very expensive figure is saved.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Just assembled Granamyr! He's unbelievably awesome! No major QC issues to speak of, though the right arm is a smidge loose (not too bad though). I waited a few hours for the figure to reach room temperature and also used the hairdryer to heat up the ports just to be on the safe side.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I should have read this thread before attempting to assemble my Gran..... Maybe waiting longer to assemble would have helped......

It was cold today in Iowa, I opened one of my three and only waited about 30 minutes before assembling after delivery. I'm not sure if the temp has anything to do with the breakage, but my tail insert piece is now cracked, despite me being very careful assembling it. I am VERY disappointed by this as I really dont want to go to the trouble of returning him. I have 2 more that I have yet to open and assemble. One to be kept for my child and one I wanted to keep MIB for myself. Now I think I will have to open them all and see if the problem was isolated to the one I opened or happened with all of them. This is a HUGE shame due to the high price point and extreme coolness of the figure!!! This makes me sick!!!!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    Mine hasn't even shipped yet... I hope this delivery of Granamyrs is free of all issues!!!
    You and me both!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    Has suggestions on how to make sure your Granamyr’s arms snap in correctly:

http://www.preternia.com/2012/12/25/...ure-watch-out/
    This method won't work on my Granamyr due to the length of the actual four clips and how they were molded, no matter how many time I've tired pushing the right arm into the socket or heat the socket and the clips inward! The design and the plastic material of the joints weren't a good choice for this figure, that's why some of us have problems in different areas of the figure, at least that's my own humble opinion... The only solution to fix mine is to glue the shoulder's rod into the ring joint, or of course take the risk and send him back and wait, hoping for Mattel to send me a flawless figure...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.