Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death of He-Man

Widget

Death of He-Man

Hi everybody!

My name is Evan Gibbs. I’m a new guy here and let me tell you the story which led me to this community.

I'm an old fan of He-Man and MOTU. When I was a kid I watched all the episodes, I even had a toy Castle Greyskull with He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak and other stuff from the series. I remember spending days playing with them! I also have some He-Man VHS – my dad bought them for me in 1987 as far as I remember. I watched all of them many times. Even now I watch some of them to go back in time.

Last time when I watched VHS I fell asleep and when I woke up, there was some sort of a bonus episode or something like that. Then I rewinded it back and start to watch from beginning. This short video completely blew my mind and I want you guys to check out!
    I never found this video on Youtube so I made a VHS-rip – watch this one and tell me what do you think of this.

I found it on the He-Man Original Series VHS Vol. 24 after the last episode ‘The Arena’ – does anyone have the same?

There are some more strange things about this video.
    Chinese subtitles. I didn’t found any info about Chinese re-edition of MOTU – maybe Filmation planned to go to the Chinese market and they made this trailer?
    Music. There is some background music starting at the middle of the video. Does anybody knows what is this?
    The main thing I don’t understand about this video is that Skeletor kills He-Man at the end – how could the guys from Filmation let this happen??))
    There is also a white triangle and the very end of it – ***???

BTW. As far as I know this is one is not the only existing Filmation bonus. I saw the Orco’s song with karaoke subtitles. I’ll try to make a rip, because I couldn’t find this video on Youtube.

Court Magician
    after watching that video.....I now feel like I am possesed!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    This reminds me of 'Skeletors turd in a box', the funniest video on youtube.

..(vulgar, but funny)

Ok............................ Now am I gonna have to wait for a wet Skeletor to come out of my computer and kill me in a week?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

That was great. Thanks for uploading it. I have no knowledge to share concerning the history of it though.

Court Magician
    This is super intriguing - I sure hope someone can shed some light on this clip!

I think the VCR-ness lends it a bit of a bootlegged feeling ... but there's no chance this has been spliced together out of other bits of the cartoon is there? Does Skeletor hold the power sword in any other episodes? (and I should say, I'm not casting any dispersions on the OP - perhaps it's an Easter Egg from a bored production dude)

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    This is super intriguing - I sure hope someone can shed some light on this clip!

I think the VCR-ness lends it a bit of a bootlegged feeling ... but there's no chance this has been spliced together out of other bits of the cartoon is there? Does Skeletor hold the power sword in any other episodes? (and I should say, I'm not casting any dispersions on the OP - perhaps it's an Easter Egg from a bored production dude)
    Oh, it's definitely spliced together out of other episodes. The 'He-Man' falling into the pit is actually Faker from "The Shaping Staff," and I know Skeletor managed to grab the sword a couple of times. ("Masks of Power" comes to mind immediately.)

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    Oh, it's definitely spliced together out of other episodes. The 'He-Man' falling into the pit is actually Faker from "The Shaping Staff," and I know Skeletor managed to grab the sword a couple of times. ("Masks of Power" comes to mind immediately.)
    You know what's a little odd? The fact that the super-obvious VCR effects are so "in your face" at the start and end of the clip. I could buy the initial VCR tracking insanity at the start IF it was the start of the tape ... but it's meant to occur after the end of another episode, which means it can't be the ends of the magnetic media. Curious.

Widget
    Seems like it's gona be really hard to find a background story behind this video, but I am really intrigued.
    First of all, does anybody have the same VHS, just to check it out?

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evan.gibbs View Post
    First of all, does anybody have the same VHS, just to check it out?
    I was thinking about suggesting this, but I wasn't sure if this video was just a joke or what. It seems a little too crazy! Can you give us a good description of the tape and packaging, or even better yet a clear picture of the cassette and sleeve jacket?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, I can tell you that the subtitles are not Chinese but Japanese.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    You know what's a little odd? The fact that the super-obvious VCR effects are so "in your face" at the start and end of the clip. I could buy the initial VCR tracking insanity at the start IF it was the start of the tape ... but it's meant to occur after the end of another episode, which means it can't be the ends of the magnetic media. Curious.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this had been copied on to the tape at some stage. Would that explain the tracking?

Also, the list of VHS tapes over in the collecting section doesn't seem to include a Vol. 24. Could this be a bootleg of some sort?

However it was made, if its real or not, that was cool to watch. Skeletor for the win!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Very, VERY interesting video. With the music as well as what's going on, it gave me goosebumps! The fact that I watched it alone past midnight might have helped. A very eerie feeling. And that triangle at the end... what the hell?

So even if this turns out to be fake, the sensation I got was very real.

Is this real life?

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    I was thinking about suggesting this, but I wasn't sure if this video was just a joke or what. It seems a little too crazy! Can you give us a good description of the tape and packaging, or even better yet a clear picture of the cassette and sleeve jacket?
    So, this VHS was published by Magic Window in 1985. It includes five episodes: "Betrayal of Stratos", "Ice Age Cometh", "Disappearing Dragons", "Shadow of Skeletor" and "The Arena". There is no words about bonus video on the box. To watch it you have to rewind cassete about 2 minutes after the last episode.

I'll make a photo in a few days when I'll back to my home town. I'm out of city at this moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well, I can tell you that the subtitles are not Chinese but Japanese.
    Probably you are right. I'm not an expert.
    Last edited by evan.gibbs; October 19, 2012 at 09:32am.

Just got done doing a Google search and it would appear that Volume 24 is legit even though it only shows up to Volume 22 on this site. No clue why that Japanese "trailer" is on there.

Widget
    Look what I found:
    ebay.com

I have the same VHS. So, this item is sold already but I'll try to contact seller. Maybe he has found this video on his copy.

Quote Originally Posted by evan.gibbs View Post
    Look what I found:
    ebay.com

I have the same VHS. So, this item is sold already but I'll try to contact seller. Maybe he has found this video on his copy.
    If anyone else is curious, there's someone on Amazon selling the tape for about $12 plus shipping as well.

So, we can rule out the tape being a bootleg per se. If it's on other tapes, then my guess would be that someone at Filmation or in RCA was having a little fun with primitive video editing techniques. If it's unique to this one, then it's a bit more of a mystery. Evan, do you know if your dad got it new or used?

EDIT: And double-checking, Benedict is right--the subtitles are Japanese. AFAIK, while both languages use the more complex ideograms (called 'kanji' in Japanese), the simpler hiragana and katakana alphabets are unique to Japan. While it's been a long time since my Japanese courses, I can decipher the katakana for Skeletor, He-Man, Eternia, 'skull-face' and Grayskull in there. (Katakana's typically used for 'loan words' from other languages.)
    Last edited by Matthew L. Martin; October 19, 2012 at 12:44pm.

There's something very spooky about that. The music in the middle is jarring, too. And that triangle! Weird.

I should make a gif of that triangle appearing.

Thrashor calls shenanigans.

"Shenanigans"

The most radical zombie, in all Eternia!
    YouTube: Mal TV - Metal, Toys, Video Games, & Beyond!

I'm actually a little disturbed by that.

I'd be really curious to know what Busta Toons makes of this.

SkelTri.JPG

Wooooooooooooooooo!
    The most radical zombie, in all Eternia!
    YouTube: Mal TV - Metal, Toys, Video Games, & Beyond!

For a second there, when the triangle is left alone on screen, I thought "Dark Side of the Moon" was going to start!