Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Vintage PBS shows from the '70s/'80s (and help with one??)

  1. #1
    "Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,034

    Vintage PBS shows from the '70s/'80s (and help with one??)

    Lately I've been enjoying finding some good old vintage '70s/'80s PBS kids' stuff online that we watched in school and at home, and I was thrilled to find some About Safety 3-4 minute episodes with Clyde Frog, along with a bit of Readalong and We Live Next Door.

    That said, I am frustrated because I can’t find ANYTHING on PBS’s Zoo! Zoo! Zoo! which was filmed just an hour and a half away at The Cincinnati Zoo. I even remember one of the featured zookeepers was a Martha Stewart type, lol. But a while back while there was at least proof that it existed, now there’s NOTHING…some city’s school system web page or something once had a blurb about how it was a Cincy show, and episodes were called things like “All About Animal Noses”, “All About Animal Feet”, etc., something like that, and that was my one proof out there that the show existed (besides my memory). But there is nothing out there now at all, no matter what search words I put into Google, ugh…and, of course, no YouTube vids. But it is so vivid in my mind! And what’s even more annoying is there is just one line of the theme song I can’t remember, argh! I can even still hear that enthusiastic woman’s voice wailing out those vocals, lol:

    “Let’s go to the zoooo, zoooo, zoo,
    Let’s go to the zoooo, zoooo, zoooooo!
    (blah blah blah blah blah)-oo,
    When you go to the zoo!

    Seein’ aaaaanimaaaaaals
    Some are very big and soooome aaaare smaaaaall!
    See if you can count them all,
    When you go to the zoo!”

    Does anyone else born in the '80s or '70s remember this show??


    Meanwhile, let's learn some safety from Clyde Frog!





    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  2. #2
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    28,105
    Never head of it, but I'll research a bit. Here's one thing I was able to find right away.

    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  3. #3
    "Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,034
    How the heck did you find that? lol...no matter what combo of words I used to search, I've been unable to turn up anything. That one school web site I mentioned had a library of VHS tapes for rent or loan, and that's where they described Zoo! Zoo! Zoo!

    Meanwhile, here's some Readalong and Calling All Safety Scouts (which became We Live Next Door here in the US):






    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  4. #4
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    28,105
    Archive image of the site that you probably saw awhile back.



    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior diosoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati WKRP
    Posts
    1,819
    A major problem finding anything PBS used to air is that much of what they aired nationwide was produced by local stations, most of these shows have zero chance of coming out on DVD or really being released in any proper format and they have little incentive to keep airing it when the kids want Dora and Elmo. I don't think they even offer those shows if you contact them, not unless you're willing to pay some sort of hefty fee for "rights"(and I'd wager you'd have to be in the market to air them, not just a personal viewer) and even then with those old obscure programs you might just get a "what are you talking about?" response. I should remember this Zoo show, being I'm in that area, but it's been too long. If I saw it again I probably would.

    I was able to ID and locate a few such old PBS shows on Youtube, but only a few episodes of anything in poor VHS rip quality, and it' sunlikely these shows will ever come out in a proper format.





    This channel has a small selection of such programs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/EduTvArchive/videos

  6. #6
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,426
    Good luck on your search. I dont remember that one but we used to watch a lot of Mr. Body, Safety Scouts, and that reading one with the kids and the villain with the motorcycle and shiny cape...story lords or something like that.

  7. #7
    "Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Archive image of the site that you probably saw awhile back.
    YES! That's what I saw! I swear TallStar, how are you fnding these?? I've tried Google-searching "Zoo Zoo Zoo Cincinnnati", "Zoo Zoo Zoo PBS", "KET Zoo Zoo Zoo", "Zoo Zoo Zoo feet", "Zoo Zoo Zoo tails", and I got NOTHING, but I did find that page of the image you shared here the last time I looked for this show. Thank you!



    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    A major problem finding anything PBS used to air is that much of what they aired nationwide was produced by local stations, most of these shows have zero chance of coming out on DVD or really being released in any proper format
    Yeah, I'm not expecting these types of shows to come out on DVD or anything, but the fact that people out there do have episodes of these rare gems like I posted above---especially Clyde Frog, who was NOWHERE online until a few years ago (though I just now found him)---gives me hope that someone out there somewhere will have at least one episode of this show they could put on YouTube, lol. I've seen some things on YouTube from the pre-VCR era that I don't know in the world they obtained that footage (and not even stuff like this, which was re-run into the VCR-era of the '80s, I'm talking pre-VCR era stuff that aired once and then was never seen again). Variety show bits that never made it to the air once the VCR came out; 1970s soap opera scenes which were never re-run again...that amazes me that people get their hands on those kinds of things.



    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Good luck on your search. I dont remember that one but we used to watch a lot of Mr. Body, Safety Scouts, and that reading one with the kids and the villain with the motorcycle and shiny cape...story lords or something like that.
    Hmm, or, He-Dad, possibly Read All About It! ? The villain stuff kinda scared me as a kid, lol:






    I also remembered a show that featured a talking gramophone who spoke and sang and interacted with a lady, and I know I didn't make this up, lol, but unlike "Zoo, Zoo, Zoo" I couldn't remember anything about the title and I found nothing about it online; well I wrote to PBS myself to ask them so I could settle this once and for all, lol, and they let me know it was originally a TV Ontario production (man, TVO gave us kids in the states lots of shows back then on PBS), and it was called Music Box; such a simple title, no wonder I couldn't remember it, lol:


    Music Box.jpg

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior diosoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati WKRP
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Yeah, I'm not expecting these types of shows to come out on DVD or anything, but the fact that people out there do have episodes of these rare gems like I posted above---especially Clyde Frog, who was NOWHERE online until a few years ago (though I just now found him)---gives me hope that someone out there somewhere will have at least one episode of this show they could put on YouTube, lol. I've seen some things on YouTube from the pre-VCR era that I don't know in the world they obtained that footage (and not even stuff like this, which was re-run into the VCR-era of the '80s, I'm talking pre-VCR era stuff that aired once and then was never seen again). Variety show bits that never made it to the air once the VCR came out; 1970s soap opera scenes which were never re-run again...that amazes me that people get their hands on those kinds of things.
    Even before VCRs there were still ways to record from home, but it was awkward and expensive and done by only a small handful of people. It seems a lot of the first season Dr Who episodes were lost forever due to the studio not saving them, but a number were recovered not long ago because someone had recorded them and had them in an attic all these years. The first Super Bowl was also not recorded by any of the TV stations that aired it for some reason, though bits and pieces were saved due to home recording.

    It's amazing how little care that TV studios put into preserving shows. We almost lost the entirety of Monty Python's Flying Circus because the studio was going to throw the reels away to clear warehouse space- the cast was able to prevent that.

    Were you aware that there was a TV sitcom that predated I Love Lucy by many years that starred a husband and wife comedy duo? No? It was never recorded when it aired live so no copies exist.
    http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marykay.asp

    On one hand I think the internet records far too much information- every useless post people make on Twitter or their blogs is going to be of very low historical value. On the other hand, the alternative is to go back to the old ways of not bothering to record or save much of anything and we'd lose many things if we did that.

  9. #9
    "Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,034
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Were you aware that there was a TV sitcom that predated I Love Lucy by many years that starred a husband and wife comedy duo? No? It was never recorded when it aired live so no copies exist.
    http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marykay.asp
    Whoa, cool...it's hard to believe no one took any photos of the set or the stars or anything. Interesting...

    Here's all I can find of We Live Next Door, which is apparently a US-ized version of Calling All Safety Scouts somehow?

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  10. #10
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    28,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    how are you fnding these?? I've tried Google-searching "Zoo Zoo Zoo Cincinnnati", "Zoo Zoo Zoo PBS", "KET Zoo Zoo Zoo", "Zoo Zoo Zoo feet", "Zoo Zoo Zoo tails", and I got NOTHING, but I did find that page of the image you shared here the last time I looked for this show. Thank you!
    One helpful tool is to do a search on Google Books, which will also bring up some magazines and other publications. Search using "zoo zoo zoo" as an exact phrase in quotation marks followed by additional keywords outside of the exact phrase. (i.e. "zoo zoo zoo" channel 48, "zoo zoo zoo" Cincinnati etc.) You can also customize the date range to narrow the results if you get too much unrelated stuff.

    Doing a search for "zoo zoo zoo" channel 48 on Google Books brings up a couple blurbs in Cincinnati Magazine. With magazines, often times Google gives a full view option, whereas with books and other publications you only get snippet views. Most of the time you can bypass the snippet view by doing another search with the last sentence/couple of words that you can see in the snippet. That will give you a little more text. Rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by Tallstar; February 20, 2015 at 04:54pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  11. #11
    Melaktha For MotUC!! adol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Spokane, Wa
    Posts
    3,518
    What was that sci-fi show about the Dewey Decimal System? It had rad music.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

  12. #12
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,426
    I found the show I was talking about. Storylords was right.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior diosoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati WKRP
    Posts
    1,819
    If it helps any, I recall PBS would often air these shows under the "Instructional Programming" block. They would take various random shows and air them in whatever order every day, mostly things produced by various PBS stations throughout the US and gathered up to air nationally.

    Here's one that hails from a slightly later period than some of those old PBS shows, late 80s-early 90s.



    several more of this show are here
    https://www.youtube.com/user/culturaldetritusnyc/videos

    and the man who hosted it is still around, running an art educational program
    http://www.draw3d.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •