Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4H revive Power Lords Toyline

Glad you guys liked the videos! The packaged figures weren't super-cheap, but at the same time I think I managed to get some good deals compared to where they are going to go. Some of the guys I'm just not even going to try for, though, like the Series 2 guys. The Power Ship and Trigore felt a bit like a steal since I got them both from one seller. I think they ended up being $50 each with shipping from the UK.

I really can't wait to hear/see more about these. I suggested that PowerCon might be a good venue for an exclusive or something (PowerCon.... Power Lords) and their answer was coy but made it seem like something like that could happen!

Heroic Warrior
    Ditto on the Golden Girl point- I always kind of liked the idea of the line, though I never collected them as a kid!
    As to the Power Lords, I'll be supporting this line in whichever scale they choose to release- I would like if they were MOTUC scale, but like the Blackstar line, I'm making my own!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Collec-Tor View Post
    Ditto on the Golden Girl point- I always kind of liked the idea of the line, though I never collected them as a kid!
    As to the Power Lords, I'll be supporting this line in whichever scale they choose to release- I would like if they were MOTUC scale, but like the Blackstar line, I'm making my own!
    Oooh, imagine the Blackstar line re-done by the Fab Four...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    That would be seriously cool, although with those it'd be so much cooler if they used the MOTUC buck.

I'd like to see the 4H tackle "Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors" and actually have toys of the characters on the cartoon (for the 1st time).
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I can't wait for these now, I picked up a Shaya at a Flea Market for less then $10 and had to free her from the plastic prison

Really cannot wait to see how the 4H execute these figures
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    I have.... for years.

Really, I just want Blackstar... his two swords... and the dragon he rides.

In either MOTUC style, or something that looks Darn close enough!!!

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I must be the rare one here because I had no idea Power Lords existed until Dr Ashen reviewed them in a video earlier this year. But until Walmart opened here in the 90s we had one tiny store for toys, a Ben Franklin, shy of an occasional trip to TRU.

I think the only 80s line I'm really hoping gets revived is Robo Force. It's not so much nostalgia but more the fact the vintage toys go for a decent chunk of money and they're so old the plastic has to be degrading terribly, especially the rubber suction cups and the thin tube arms. I'm avoiding buying them because I'm afraid they'll just crumble apart. I don't even care if the new toys are updated visually, because they don't need it. They don't need articulation and reimagining. Keep them almost the same, only replace the pneumatic arms with maybe bendy tubes or something. Or keep the pneumatic gimmick if the arms can be made of a suitable durable material. If they can be made cheaply then they could go to retail because I don't think I'd get into them if they were some low-run $40 per figure nostalgia exclusive. At a price like that I could get the vintage ones cheaper.

In other words, I don't want Hasbro or Mattel to make them. Hasbro would mess it up and distribute them poorly, and Mattel would send them to Matty Collector.

I ended up with two Shaya figures as a kid, so one donated her cape to Evil-Lyn. It's been on her ever since, and looks weird without it.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

How many people watched the Cake Boss episode? Hard to suffer through the store opening plot line I didn't care about (not my favorite show to be honest) but it was fun to see the 4H on, and I thought the cake turned out amazingly well. Some great sculpture on the cake and on the figures, for sure. I thought the moment with Wayne Barlowe and the cake sculptor was really touching, and it reminded me of meeting Earl Norem and William George at PowerCon the last two years.

I hope we hear about a possible SDCC exclusive soon! I wonder if they are just waiting to see if the toys arrive from China in time? I know they said they'd be cutting it close to make it. I'm ready to get some!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I must be the rare one here because I had no idea Power Lords existed until Dr Ashen reviewed them in a video earlier this year. But until Walmart opened here in the 90s we had one tiny store for toys, a Ben Franklin, shy of an occasional trip to TRU.
    They weren't that popular at the time. I only had the one... the main guy who had the 'Jekyll/Hyde' 'form switch'. I thought it was pretty cool when I was a kid... but it was one of the first toys that I remember having sucky quality control. That button push action feature only worked for about a week or two and then it had to be flipped manually.

Don't even remember seeing the rest in the stores...

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    How many people watched the Cake Boss episode? Hard to suffer through the store opening plot line I didn't care about (not my favorite show to be honest) but it was fun to see the 4H on, and I thought the cake turned out amazingly well. Some great sculpture on the cake and on the figures, for sure. I thought the moment with Wayne Barlowe and the cake sculptor was really touching, and it reminded me of meeting Earl Norem and William George at PowerCon the last two years.

I hope we hear about a possible SDCC exclusive soon! I wonder if they are just waiting to see if the toys arrive from China in time? I know they said they'd be cutting it close to make it. I'm ready to get some!
    It was pretty cool seeing it on TV. I was there for the event, and got to eat a piece of the cake. The cake looked incredible in person, as well!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

The line isn't that widely remembered; outside of the mini-series from DC, I don't think there was much outside the toy line itself. Only reason I got them was because they were odd and eclectic enough to appeal to me. In some very real ways, I think these new versions will be vastly superior, not just because of the sculpting, but because it appears that the awkward "turn the figure around for an alternate form" gimmick has been replaced with separate figures, as we saw at Toy Fair with Adam Power and his Power Lord form. I would imagine the same will be done with Shaya.

I've already got a display set up with the Power Lords background, just waiting for figures to fill it (and its amazing how long I had to poke around on the net before finding the actual blue circle background art from the cards in an unmarred, unblocked form I could use).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I can't wait for these now, I picked up a Shaya at a Flea Market for less then $10 and had to free her from the plastic prison

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...28707191_n.jpg
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...08870560_n.jpg
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...08614320_n.jpg

Really cannot wait to see how the 4H execute these figures
    Love these figures..but that chick used to creep the mess out of me when i was younger... had a real issues playing with her...
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

I'm so stoked about this line, BUT from what I see in pictures, is ADAM and the alien version of him two different figures?
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Hasbro owns M.A.S.K. so who owns the Sectaurs license?

That one NEEDS an upgrade...
    yes, SECTAURS! And Silverhawks! We need these ASAP!
    No more stuff for sell, all donated, done!
    I still need MOTUC: Strobos, King Grayskull, Wun-Dar, and Preternia He-Man
    Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2544672215/

Quote Originally Posted by Falconhood View Post
    I'm so stoked about this line, BUT from what I see in pictures, is ADAM and the alien version of him two different figures?
    Yeah, they wanted to make them fully separate figures. Which, after some thought, I think is the best route.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Yeah, they wanted to make them fully separate figures. Which, after some thought, I think is the best route.
    I think it would be better if the human parts snapped on the alien parts or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I think it would be better if the human parts snapped on the alien parts or vice versa.
    That's a cool idea, though I think snap-on parts at this scale are tough to do without the snap-on version looking weirdly bulky. Also, I think this is partly the way they are going to pay for the molds through parts re-use.

Widget
    The figures actually use the Glyos system, so Adam Power and Lord Power share the same lower legs. The upper torso is interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grymsdyke View Post
    The figures actually use the Glyos system, so Adam Power and Lord Power share the same lower legs. The upper torso is interchangeable.
    Are we sure these are using the Glyos pegs? The prototypes shown had multiple points of articulation, including hinge joints I've never seen with Glyos compatible figures. It would be cool, but if this is the way they are being assembled, either they've taken the Glyos system to the next level (a really good thing), or the final figures are going to be a LOT different than the prototypes. The latter would sap some of my enthusiasm, as basic cut joints would really cut down on how they can be posed, one of the only things that disappoints me a bit with the Outer Space Men. It also would mean the new figures are significantly less poseable than the originals, which would be a shame with the greatly improved sculpting.

Are we sure these are using the Glyos pegs? The prototypes shown had multiple points of articulation, including hinge joints I've never seen with Glyos compatible figures. It would be cool, but if this is the way they are being assembled, either they've taken the Glyos system to the next level (a really good thing), or the final figures are going to be a LOT different than the prototypes. The latter would sap some of my enthusiasm, as basic cut joints would really cut down on how they can be posed, one of the only things that disappoints me a bit with the Outer Space Men. It also would mean the new figures are significantly less poseable than the originals, which would be a shame with the greatly improved sculpting.
    Well, two things. From everything I've heard, the figures will indeed use Glyos joints, but in some sort of manner that won't inhabit the greater articulation fans are expecting. If you look at the photos on the new Sourcehorsemen.com site, it seems clear that Adam Power has ball-jointed shoulders.

Second, even Matt Doughty himself has been experimenting with greater and greater articulation for Glyos, so who knows what's on the horizon.

Well, the IDEA is that they would use Glyos pegs, but we haven't had an update to say for sure they will. And though that means parts will be interchangeable, the impression I got was that Adam Power and Power Lord would be sold as two complete, different figures. Not one figure with two torsos.

Widget
    Well, the IDEA is that they would use Glyos pegs, but we haven't had an update to say for sure they will. And though that means parts will be interchangeable, the impression I got was that Adam Power and Power Lord would be sold as two complete, different figures. Not one figure with two torsos.
    There are definitely Glyos joints present on the final figures.
    Can't answer the two separate figures question for Adam and Lord Power. I just know the lower legs are the same on both.
    No one's publicly seen the final figures yet, far as I know. Probably see something pop up next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe Ghostal View Post
    Well, two things. From everything I've heard, the figures will indeed use Glyos joints, but in some sort of manner that won't inhabit the greater articulation fans are expecting. If you look at the photos on the new Sourcehorsemen.com site, it seems clear that Adam Power has ball-jointed shoulders.

Second, even Matt Doughty himself has been experimenting with greater and greater articulation for Glyos, so who knows what's on the horizon.
    That's what it looked like in other shots, ball joints and hinge joints, even it seemed in the ankles; if that is indeed combined with the Glyos interchangeability, that is great news. The Glyos stuff is just plain fun, and not having to give up articulation to use it would be a major plus for this and future lines.