Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should old figures be sold at the new, higher price points?

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    If they are STILL producing them, then it's quite understandable.

If they are old figures sitting around collecting dust in the warehouse, that **** should be clearanced imo. Just like what happens in actual stores. Especially considering there is no retail middle man and we pay for overpriced, slow shipping.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    If they are STILL producing them, then it's quite understandable.

If they are old figures sitting around collecting dust in the warehouse, that **** should be clearanced imo. Just like what happens in actual stores. Especially considering there is no retail middle man and we pay for overpriced, slow shipping.
    Lol... Mattel clearance MOTU figures ?!?! You better stop sniffing that Black Flower of yours.

They will gladly have sales, bundles, or mad matty packs, but they will NEVER admit to or have an actual clearance.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Lol... Mattel clearance MOTU figures ?!?! You better stop sniffing that Black Flower of yours.

They will gladly have sales, bundles, or mad matty packs, but they will NEVER admit to or have an actual clearance.
    lmao

Well they do have those Mattel retail outlet stores where they had some clearanced MOTUC figures. Unfortunately, they are few and far between.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

It's not like it's the end of the world.. oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    It is all leftover inventory... The only figures that Mattel ever went back into a real second production on were He-Man, Skeletor, Beast Man, Mer Man, Stratos, Battle Cat, Hordak, Man At Arms and Faker....

Starting with Adora, they just made one large production quantity and packaged them into a regular package and a "the original" burst package. It was all a marketing program to create artificial demand and also increase sales to MOC package variations completists. It's a trick that Hasbro has been doing for years with Star Wars.
    This makes more sense from a business point of view. By making the larger quantity upfront they were probably able to secure a lower cost from the factory.

However, this was clearly a poor use of judgement on doing it for all characters starting with Adora. From what I've read it sounds like they will fluctuate production numbers depending on the figure being produced for 2013. So Ram Man should be at a larger quantity then some of the others.

I will be interested to see how well some of the "reissues" sell at the new price point. I do think in my opinion that they will not move in large enough quantities unless they do some sort of promotion

They can sell the figures for whatever price they want, and unless it is a contracted sub - seems to be a contracted agreement that they hold to - an item they sell can change at any time...but we do not have to buy them. This is a choice for us to buy...we don't like, we don't buy. It is not good business and really presents a bad image...makes them look really ugly...which does not want to make people happy.

I tell my friends about all the different issues we have when they see my figures...and they shake their heads in amazement...and always ask "Why don't you buy somewhere else?" And I remind them "there is only one mouse trap with the cheese we want" Matty is the only one making the figures. We have no choice, and if you think going to BBTS or anyone else makes a difference, you are wrong. All it means is BBTS is nice to deal with - and they are great, I have used them for other goodies!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    If they couldn't sell them all at $20. And they couldn't sell out of them at $18. WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO BUY THEM AT $27??!!
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Underpants Gnomes at work again, I see.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Heroic Warrior
    $27 is recockulous for most new figures. Mattel will be sitting on any old stock for a mighty long time.

Don't forget that you can't combine shipping, so they are coming in at around $35. I just don't see many selling at that price. Unless it's one of the big guns.

Randor, Roboto, Teela, Whiplash, Scareglow, Fisto or Sorceress. Yeah, I know they probably won't come up, but they are one's I see selling. Snout, Flipshot & Carnivus...not so much.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    DYLAMANIA IS RUNNIN' WILD! THE MOB IS GROWING!

I'm not a fan of paying $27 for old figures, but if its one I need, I will do it. If you don't want to pay it, then you can vocalize that by not buying them. Mattel made a business decision to up the price. I won't complain, its business.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I say "Definitely not !". In a normal world, this kind of unethical decision would be opposed and banned. In this ultraliberal world based on GREED, it's alas something that can happen, but that doesn't mean it's not shameful and disgusting.
    600full-v.-i.-lenin.jpg

just kidding and anyway i agree with you.

No, seeing as they're old stock already produced.

Good luck selling Flipshot. He'll be reduced in no time.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Heroic Warrior
    It seems odd to me.

But, then again, Mattel's whole approach to selling the existing/old stock confuses me. I don't understand why they're not available ALL the time until they sell out. There are plenty of "maybe" figures which I probably would have grabbed at the same time as buying a "must have" since the postage for two figures is the same as for one figure.

I imagine it's a basic "These things are this price" kind of thing that simplifies how things are done.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with potential customer confusion or perception. A casual customer sees a whole bunch of classic characters they recognize for $22 or whatever, and the small handful of new stuff available at any given time may look like Mattel is price gouging or somehow suggest the $27 figures are somehow "premium".

That said...I personally don't think leftover stock should be anywhere near full price, aside from the benefit of clearance sale prices seeming like more of a deal.

If we ever see new runs of reissues, I'd pay 2013 prices for something that's been fixed (Roboto) but otherwise there's no development costs there to compare to something new. If it's a character that's in high demand and justifies a reissue, I guess the price makes sense.

Ideally, original He-Man & Skeletor along with other popular characters would be sold for a bit less under a separate "Greatest Hits Collection" price point. Good for getting new fans to take a bite.

Quote Originally Posted by King Criss79 View Post
    It's not like it's the end of the world.. oh wait...
    I woke up this morning and was like damn, now I have to pay for Granamyr....damn apocalypse....
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I want to share a recent experience:

I just got the news that Bandai Japan is reissuing three thirty-year-old classic Gundam plastic model kits early next year. I got one of them (plus Zodac and Teela that year) as Christmas presents when I was little and absolutely loved it. (It was a 1:60 scale red robot cyclops called Zaku, in case anyone is curious.) I really wanted to pre-ordered this Zaku reissue; however, it is really big, maybe around 12 once assembled. And I worry how much Bandai would charge for these reissues. (Japanese toys are never cheap.) So I did some research on the price and to my surprise, I found out that Bandai never raised the price of these kits for nearly 30 years. I can still buy it this time around with the same price as my father bought it 30 years ago!

I have no idea how Bandai manages to keep the price unchanged for all these years. Maybe model kits doesn't need an assembly line, maybe they've already made enough money out of the mold the first time around. No matter what, it is still a new production run. I am sure that everything has gotten a bit more expensive over the years. Yet Bandai somehow found a way to do it without adding a dime to the price they set up long long time ago.

The result is this: I am not really familiar with Gundam anime and the whold Gundam world. The only reason that these reissue kits got my attention is nostalgia, a good memory from my childhood. Now Bandai really got my attention with that pleasantly surprising price. My interests on the rest of these reissues suddenly grow and I start to pay attention to the whole Gundam model kits lineup. Will I become a die-hard Gundam fan? I probably won't because to me, Zaku model kit will always be the red giant cyclops that got destroyed by He-Man, Man-at-Arms and Zodac. (It really did. The model kit couldn't take all the spring-loaded power punches.) However, I am seriously considering getting the rest of the reissues. And I will start pay more attention about Bandai's future reissues. In other words, Bandai has found themselves a new customer who is very interested in their products.

I can never understand how a business runs, what works and what doesn't. Maybe MOTUC runs on a complete different business model and I am sure that Mattel has its reasons to do things certain ways. However, to me personally, existing stock isn't really for fans like us because we probably got them already through our subs or past sales. These products are for potential customers and new collectors. I would love to see someone go through similar experience that I just had with Gundam reissues and start collecting MOTUC. An affordable, reasonable price point would be important when people consider getting into a new collection. And if I were a new customer, I would be very hesitant to pay 27 bucks plus shipping for a MOTUC He-Man or Skeletor.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    It would be nice, but Mattel is a business, and I don't see them doing this.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    I foresee Ebay prices becoming more competitive for older figures now. As most have said, unless it's a Teela, Scareglow, or Fisto I will not be buying reissued figures from Matty anymore on regular sale days.
    The thing that stinks with this scenario is that second-party retailers are now going to raise their prices just because Matty is doing the same....

Whereas before you could buy a figure from BBTS for a somewhat decent price, now they will be around 5 bucks more each because that is what BBTS has to pay... It remains to be seen if second-party retailers will keep the pre-2013 figures at the same price they have them up for now.
    **Staunch FILMation Subscription supporter!!! **** NEEDS a New Adventures Subscription!!!**

MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I'm so glad I played hardcore catch up this year while the prices were right. The new sub price is my cap for figures so no more reissues for me. If Scalpors want to gouge even more due to this than I'll do without or only do trades from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I'm so glad I played hardcore catch up this year while the prices were right. The new sub price is my cap for figures so no more reissues for me. If Scalpors want to gouge even more due to this than I'll do without or only do trades from now on.
    What is this? oh....it's my thoughts exactly....$25 is well more than enough for these things, other than buying my last 4 needs when they come, if they don't come until after 2013, I will not spend any more than what it takes to finalize my personal collection with those last 4....well 4 after Ram-Man next month that is.

But I had a little more time than you, I came in when Man-E-Faces was the monthly figure, and thanks to both BF ('11 & '12....Teela, Adora, Tri-Klops, MAA, Marlena, Buzz Off & Catra), a few re released figures throughout 2012 (BA He-Man being the last of those) I have all my wants and needs (from all released so far that is) aside from maybe Griffin.

To come into MOTUC now going into 2013....unless you have a huge wallet to buy elsewhere and pay $27 a piece DOS....I feel bad for you....and this is when it will truly suck to be a new MOTUC fan, so many potential new customers will just keep on walking and wishing....I am really glad I came in when I did, I have over 50 figures (as I said....all I wanted or needed) and I am more than happy with my collection....well aside from the **** me off loose joints I have to fix just to stand some of them up, and a couple of the Blastic figures, and a few with posability issues....I'm looking at you She-Ra....
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    It would be nice, but Mattel is a business, and I don't see them doing this.
    If they are a business, maybe they should practice smart business. I love Icarius, he's one of the best figures in the line, but for whatever reason, people don't want him. They didn't want him at $20 and they sure as hell aren't going to want him at $27. He's going for less than $20 on the secondary market. Unless someone is ignorant of ebay and other online stores, I don't see why they would buy from matty if they really wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    The thing that stinks with this scenario is that second-party retailers are now going to raise their prices just because Matty is doing the same....

Whereas before you could buy a figure from BBTS for a somewhat decent price, now they will be around 5 bucks more each because that is what BBTS has to pay... It remains to be seen if second-party retailers will keep the pre-2013 figures at the same price they have them up for now.
    Will they raise the prices on something they can't sell? I'm ignorant of their business practices, but unless the demand for a lot of the older figures suddenly spikes, I don't see prices getting raised. Not by that much, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Exactly.

BBTS still has stock of Icarius, they can't get rid of, he's cheap as hell on there....BBTS will only raise their prices if they buy those figures from Matty DOS, the older figures won't go up, they have enough they themselves can't get rid of, but unlike Matty, they will clearance them as everyday non sale prices until they sell out instead of only a few days at a time then pull the stock.

If they left Teela up until she sold out completely, we may have gotten a second run of her since she would have been gone likely back in 2010....but hey sit on stock, and make it seem the main people don't sell besides He-Man....OK....
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Will they raise the prices on something they can't sell? I'm ignorant of their business practices, but unless the demand for a lot of the older figures suddenly spikes, I don't see prices getting raised. Not by that much, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    BBTS still has stock of Icarius, they can't get rid of, he's cheap as hell on there....BBTS will only raise their prices if they buy those figures from Matty DOS, the older figures won't go up, they have enough they themselves can't get rid of, but unlike Matty, they will clearance them as everyday non sale prices until they sell out instead of only a few days at a time then pull the stock.
    I agree with you guys.

I was really referring to the 2013 figures that non sub-holding new collectors will have to get. Without second runs, a lot of folks will have to turn to second-party retailers to get their figures, and subsequently pay higher (even higher than Matty) prices...

I'm pretty sure that the figures (like Icarius) that don't sell well will remain at a good price, but what about the figures that new collectors will need like Beastman and Faker? I'm curious to see if BBTS raises their price now that they know Matty will never sell them again and the base price for new figures has gone up...
    **Staunch FILMation Subscription supporter!!! **** NEEDS a New Adventures Subscription!!!**

MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

In other words, my collection is now complete whether I like it or not, since $27 a figure is too much for me.

Heroic Warrior
    It is a really big jump in price. REALLY big.
    If it wasn't for all the figure errors(Frosta most recently) and the delays(Procrustus AND Granamyr) i'd probably consider biting the bullet.
    But Matty is really giving nothing in return for all this negative(except 200 Mer Men).

I'm gonna buy New Adventures He-Man and hang up my MOTUC collection...at least till NA Skeletor.