Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 106 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 106 Discussion!

Episode 106 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss
    shout outs,
    accents,
    listener e-mails,
    Dreamworks acquisition,
    hints of She-Ra,
    LaLa Land Records,
    canon changes,
    He-Man's strength,
    your era of nostalgia,
    disliking characters,
    multiple variations of canon,
    shock of new characters,
    revamping She-Ra,
    Filmation subscription,
    keeping MOTU alive and popular,
    Masks of Power demons,
    humor in MOTUC,
    criticism and positivity
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 46 minutes, 17 seconds

Direct link for Episode 106

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Yeah, Eamon, I recall Cy-Clone and Moss Man appearing on card back first too. I actually went into the toy shop a second time with pen and paper and did a rough sketch of them both. At home I would lay on the floor doodling MOTU for hours and make up stories about them. I don't know what the people working in the toy shop must have thought of me as I knelt there quickly sketching these two new characters straight from the card back, but I recall it was the only thing I thought about at the time. I was so stoked about getting new characters. I don't know why people get so uptight about it now. I love Dreago-Man and Cy-Chop!
    Last edited by Ravenskarr; December 23, 2012 at 11:16am.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Masks of Power demons
    Yeah !!!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I think that it would be difficult to make a new She-Ra cartoon without mentioning something about MOTU since her one line as she raises her sword is, "By the honour of Grayskull"

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    listening to the podcast at the moment (at the 1:13 mark) and the she-ra situation is simple. she-ra is the frasier to he-mans cheers, or even to use daniels example he-man is buffy she-ra is angel. the could arrange it as a show where she-ra is allready established ie most batman series and have an origin episode with he-man further along the line. acknowledge that he-man exists in that univers but focus more on etheria and the rebellion.

give us episodes that show the general populaces opinion on a rebellion after all one mans freedom fighter is anothers terrorist. i would also like to see some characters having mistrust for adora being that she used to be a member of the horde. she-ra allready has its story: he-man is the established hero who is embraced by the authorities and she-ra is on the fringes she is not able to just solve the problem by throwing them into mud embarrassing them into running away.
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenskarr View Post
    I think that it would be difficult to make a new She-Ra cartoon without mentioning something about MOTU since her one line as she raises her sword is, "By the honour of Grayskull"
    As silly as this may sound to you, they did that with the german audi cassette stories. Adora held aloft her sword and said: I AM SHE-RA!

Everyone knew she could do that and even begged her when danger was approaching.

Catra and Clawdeen lived close to a volcano, which housed a mysterious "sorcerer of the volcano".

There was no mention of He-Man or the Horde and somehow it worked.

YAY!!! More Roast Gooble!

Just in time for Christmas!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Hulk fought the Sentry at the end of WWH. The Hulk in World War Hulk was so angry that he was called Worldbreaker, as he could cause catastrophic damage with each step at the end.

Just because you have super strength, doesn't mean you have high resistance to injury. I think Hulk would beat He-Man, because He-Man doesn't have Hulk's durability. He-Man can die from a gunshot...the Hulk can't.

I prefer Eamon's preference for He-Man's strength, where He-Man isn't Superman powerful, but moreso like Captain America or Conan.

Thanks, great discussion.

He-Man defeats Hulk!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    He-Man defeats Hulk!
    Only in alphabetical order...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I would tend to think that He-man's battle experience and rational combined with castle lifting strength is what would give him an edge to finding a way to subduing Hulk. Hulks blind rage is intimidating and powerful, but there are ways around it. Hulk has a tendency to just walk into harms way and go through it, where He-man can avoid and counter.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Heroic Warrior
    I just listened to the podcast and I found the popularity/new characters topic interesting.

I personally am not interested in seeing MOTU being popular for the following generations, because of the changes the brand has to make and already made. I have a certain, limited image of MOTU and the reason, why I collect MOTUC is, that this line currently captures that image. If MOTUC would be more 200x or DC Comics related in style, I wouldn`t want to have something to do with it. Nostalgy is THE reason for me for collecting this line. Even if kids in 10 years would like He-Man, it wouldn`t be the brand I remembered. To be honest, I wouldn`t have any problems if the brand dies with our generation, because it`s an 80`s brand, it belongs to our generation and it wouldn`t be the same in 10 or 20 years.

I welcome new characters, if they look like 80`s MOTU for me, but only figures like Draego Man, Demo Man and CG Man transport that vibe to me. I also think, the green FFM guy looks like he belongs to the 80`s, so Ill keep him. If Mattel wants to include new characters, they better have some strong vintage touch. If not, I won`t buy them.

I know, that there is a big faction of collectors, who want everything MOTU, but there are many, who have a similar attitude like me.
    Last edited by Berserker79; December 23, 2012 at 06:10pm.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Sweeeeet!

Looks like quite a few intriguing topics that I'm definitely interested in hearing you guys discuss.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Great show guy, I love it when a impassioned conversation happens, very cool,
    As for She-ra , I think it could work, like you guys said as a hero on her own,
    But really I prefer Golden Girl.

I totally want a two-pack of the Masks of Power Demons. It's a great idea that I hope we see one day. Along with the two demons, there needs to be the two orcs, the two masks you can fit over the orcs heads, and a quartz stone that can open and has a sword of the ancients inside.

The Red Demon can reuse a lot of parts from Beast Man, while the Green Demon might require a few more new ones, due to his specific spikes and ridges.

A very fun representation from the mini-comic, for sure.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Waitin for Christmas now with the Gooble-Crew

It's a saternalia miracle. :-p
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Yeah !!!
    Masks of Power Demons... totally
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

Two thing I want to say respond to.

1. He-Man should be super strong, around Thor, Superman, Captain Marvel levels. He's battling enormous magic in the forms of Hordak, Skeletor, Evil Lyn, Count Marzo, Shadow Weaver, etc. Then he's going against creatures such as Shadow Beasts, Gy-Gor, Megator, Snake Men, tons of Horde troopers, robots, etc.

A super human man such as Captain America would not be enough to fight such enormity. Plus remember that episode of MYP with King Grayskull? He tore through the Horde armies with his power. He-Man and She-Ra share his physical power and they need it against everything they are up against.

It's not that He-Man's Filmation power would make him look too powerful, it's that everyone else around him already is.

2. He-Man and She-Ra should be separate brands, but should never stop acknowledging each others existence in their cannons. Batman and Superman aired at the same time in the late 90's and would do crossovers together in two part episodes. It was never a problem finding screen time for both since each had their own strengths. She-Ra and He-Man would be the same dynamic. They would have to team up whenever Skeletor and Hordak join forces, much like when Joker and Lex Luthor get together.

Part of the fun with the new Marvel movies is the crossover factor. The characters reference each other even when they aren't in the movie and it makes the entire thing much grander in scope.

Thanks Val for reading my mail to the question "what did you do to support the line?", that was a nice christmas surprise

And if anyone is interessted in checking the progress of the project, go to this thread, but beware, lots of images are loading and a little quickly made Man-E-Faces Animation at the end of the thread (with subtitles ):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eginning-phase

If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Merry Christmas, happy Holidays to you all and a happy new year.

Whew, on behalf of Blackstar...ouch, Eamon! Getting that Warlock dragon toy was right there up with getting Battle Cat, but that was without having seen the cartoon too.

I can't imagine them not selling She-Ra without the He-Man connection. Not that it couldn't be cool, but the trouble is when she started the show saying "I am Adora, He-Man's twin sister," that was your gravitas in a nutshell. Why do I care what she does? Bam, she's He-Man's sister. Done. It's like the Star Wars prequels posters showing the little boy with Darth Vader's shadow. Some thought it was wrong to use that angle to sell the movie because it demanded knowledge of the original, but no way was it good sense to not tell people why they should care who the kid was (even though we didn't need to know who Luke becomes in order to care about him in the original Star Wars). The reason Xena isn't such a great contrast is she didn't have the same noteworthy connection with Hercules as She-Ra with He-Man. If she'd been Hercules's sister, I think they'd have used that. Hey, I could be wrong, I just don't know how you downplay such an important marketing hook.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Gbagok, I can see you're point in a way ,but that was when She-Ra was a completely new character/property. She doesn't require the He-Man connection now to be introduced to a new audience in a new project because he doesn't have a current project with enough availability to a mass audience for them to build her show off of. Personally, I would like them to still have their relationship, but one of the things I enjoyed about the first She-Ra mini comics was that she was already established as a heroine before He-Man came to Etheria to find her. So, I think they could forgo the He-Man connection initially and perhaps bring in his presence later.
    Last edited by rhea; December 26, 2012 at 12:16pm.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chroniklor View Post
    Masks of Power Demons... totally
    I'm still hoping we can get to them before the line ends. They did quite well on the obscure character poll and now we have the Mighty Eamon to champion for them
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Snappy Threader
    Very good.

Hunny Boo Boos family can't be that poor. I refuse to take seriously anyone who claims to be poor yet is grotesquely over weight. That whole show is actually about child abuse.