Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 106 Discussion!

Just now starting to listen to 106 and 107.

I just wanted to pop in and say yes... I love the first minicomics the best for sure in my worlds o' MotU.

But that said, if you've read my posts, if you know me, you know I'm a MotU fan first and foremost over just picking out any one era.
    Therefore, I am one that is very excited to see the changes as they take place with MotU, I've been loving the new comic, and would LOVE to see Dreamworks do some amazing new things with MotU and PoP.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

awesome show guys! thanks! really enjoyed this one

as far as MOTU's legacy ... MOTUC is enough for me; the main reason i collect is for nostalgia, i don't care much for the newly-created characters ... for me, MOTUC is MOTU's legacy ... we are getting a tribute to the greatest toy-line of all time - that's enough for me

it would be cool to see MOTU live on through the years, but i'm not a fan of NA or MYP/200x so i don't see how i would like another ''original'' re-incarnation of the brand ...

once complete, MOTUC should serve as the ultimate tribute/legacy to MOTU ... in my opinion anyways

eamon - i totally agree with you, action-figures are better for kids than video-games ... but i think video-games have come a long way and some titles do hold some moral/educational aesthetics that kids growing up can learn and build their personality/character upon ...

i think the fact that modern toys/figures are ridiculously expensive and on the whole quite bland and un-inspiring also adds to the diminshing/down-fall of the action-figure popularity and 'experience' amongst kids ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; January 4, 2013 at 03:44am.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    awesome show guys! thanks! really enjoyed this one

as far as MOTU's legacy ... MOTUC is enough for me; the main reason i collect is for nostalgia, i don't care much for the newly-created characters ... for me, MOTUC is MOTU's legacy ... we are getting a tribute to the greatest toy-line of all time - that's enough for me

it would be cool to see MOTU live on through the years, but i'm not a fan of NA or MYP/200x so i don't see how i would like another ''original'' re-incarnation of the brand ...

once complete, MOTUC should serve as the ultimate tribute/legacy to MOTU ... in my opinion anyways

eamon - i totally agree with you, action-figures are better for kids than video-games ... but i think video-games have come a long way and some titles do hold some moral/educational aesthetics than kids growing up can learn and build their personality/character upon ...

i think the fact that modern toys/figures are ridiculously expensive and on the whole quite bland and un-inspiring, this also adds to the diminshing/down-fall of the action-figure popularity and 'experience' amongst kids ...
    I think video games have their place. Like any story-telling media.
    Video games, are really just like reading a book, but visually, and in a more interactive way than say a comic book or a movie really. Movies, comics, books, video games are all just stories basically is what I'm getting at.

Action figure play, role playing, yep, I'm with you guys that role playing plays an important role in brain development. I'm confident that if you dig around google on this idea , you'll find research and theories in brain development that agree with this.

I agree it is healthy to get your nose out of a book once in a while, walk away from the TV and get outside and play. I believe it's more than just getting fresh air, more than getting a little exercise, more than having a good time, more than bonding with your friends, and more than expanding your creativity and problem solving... It's all of that together, it's living.

And as I stated before, stories have their place too, part of living is also resting to enjoy a story here and there.
    Last edited by Baena; January 3, 2013 at 04:22pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I think video games have their place. Like any story-telling media.
    Video games, are really just like reading a book, but visually, and in a more interactive way than say a comic book or a movie really. Movies, comics, books, video games are all just stories basically is what I'm getting at.

Action figure play, role playing, yep, I'm with you guys that role playing plays an important role in brain development. I'm confident that if you dig around google on this idea , you'll find research and theories in brain development that agree with this.

I agree it is healthy to get your nose out of a book once in a while, walk away from the TV and get outside and play. I believe it's more than just getting fresh air, more than getting a little exercise, more than having a good time, more than bonding with your friends, and more than expanding your creativity and problem solving... It's all of that together, it's living.

And as I stated before, stories have their place too, part of living is also resting to enjoy a story here and there.
    awesome post

i agree with all you have said there ...

i'm 28 - so i grew up in the video-game generation ... despite that, i used to go out and play after school, during the holidays and at weekends constantly ... and part of that was building battle-scenes with my MOTU figures in my garden or the surrounding areas of my neighbourhood ... this is something you just do not see anymore (for a vareity of reasons) and it is a shame ... the depths of our imaginations seemed limitless (at the time) and creating our own stories and dioramas was completely 100% fun ...

i hope one day to pass down my MOTUC to my kids and they can enjoy the times i had growing up with an awesome brand and an awesome collection of characters ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I just listened to the podcast and I found the popularity/new characters topic interesting.

I personally am not interested in seeing MOTU being popular for the following generations, because of the changes the brand has to make and already made. I have a certain, limited image of MOTU and the reason, why I collect MOTUC is, that this line currently captures that image. If MOTUC would be more 200x or DC Comics related in style, I wouldn`t want to have something to do with it. Nostalgy is THE reason for me for collecting this line. Even if kids in 10 years would like He-Man, it wouldn`t be the brand I remembered. To be honest, I wouldn`t have any problems if the brand dies with our generation, because it`s an 80`s brand, it belongs to our generation and it wouldn`t be the same in 10 or 20 years.

I welcome new characters, if they look like 80`s MOTU for me, but only figures like Draego Man, Demo Man and CG Man transport that vibe to me. I also think, the green FFM guy looks like he belongs to the 80`s, so I´ll keep him. If Mattel wants to include new characters, they better have some strong vintage touch. If not, I won`t buy them.

I know, that there is a big faction of collectors, who want everything MOTU, but there are many, who have a similar attitude like me.

I do agree with you on many fronts. Though, I would be happy to see MOTU continue for future generations; however, I fear it will be transformed, tweaked, or butchered into something else again, as it has been since the late 80's.

Look at New Adventures and 200x. Are those really bad toy lines or stories? Not really, they're actually pretty decent. But since they have He-Man connected to them (for many of us, the memories of our 1980's toys, mini-comics, or cartoons are front and center) these new styles and stories suffer from inevitable comparison -they're bound to lose. The vintage era was much more exciting and simple then what followed. I don't see how anything is going to trump that vintage era for most of us. The best thing to do is just keep making things in tune with the vintage era, that's how you can keep it going without ruining He-Man.

Look at Draego-Man, and why do so many folks like him? He feels like a long lost character from the 80's. The Mighty Spector, Sir Laser-Lot, etc... don't fit. Period Are they bad figures/ideas? That's up for debate (I see some good elements in all of them), but the point is they don't fit the original line. You can't just put an Aquaman or Inspector Gadget on a Masters of the Universe Classics buck and call him a Masters of the Universe figure and we should all accept him now. That's what irks some of the fans, including me.

I would prefer that Masters of the Universe keep its vintage feel, now and always. If kids now and in the future like it, awesome! If not, then on to the next big idea that will capture the minds of future generations. I have no problem with that. Our parents grew up when Westerns were big, but there wasn't much interest for that for our generation in the 80's. That's okay. There is a place and time for everything, MOTU is a 1980's child, but that doesn't mean it may no longer has appeal today. I hope Masters of the Universe continues as long as possible, as it was. If someone wants to change the core of it, then please let it be called something else, and be its own thing.
    Last edited by The All American; January 4, 2013 at 10:39am.