Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memories of the Christmas Special

Heroic Warrior

Who remembers seeing the Christmas Special when it first aired?

I do, i was 4 years old when i taped the christmas special after reading about it in TV guide and was one of my fave Christmas specials growing up.

Funny to see Skeletor smile.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I do. I recorded it on VHS when it aired and watched it with my youngest sister a bunch of times.

I think it was the first time I saw Snout Spout because I remember when I saw him, I got excited and said "What the heck?!" From that day on, anytime my baby sis saw Snout Spout she'd point and excitedly say "What the heck! What the heck!" She must have thought "what the heck" was his name.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    I remember it! I believe it premiered during the night on a Saturday (maybe 6PM or 7PM). We were visiting my grandmother's house, and my sister and I couldn't believe Skeletor turned "good" at the end. It was all we talked about on the drive home. That episode kinda changed how we viewed Skeletor when we played. That, along with the big grin on the Skeletor toy, led him to sorta being a good bad guy for us. Only Hordak was the fully evil leader henceforth.

Royal Eternian Borough of Macduff, Scotland
    I saw it in the UK when it aired for the first time, in fact we had not long purchased our first VCR and it was one of the first shows we ever recorded. I still have the videotape! I was always annoyed that my Mum hadn't set it properly and my copy begins with He-Man grappling with the arms on the Collector.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    We had to get it taped by someone who had cable or satellite, since we weren't sure if it would show on the channels we got. So we have a copy from Black Friday of 1985, aired on KSMP-9 out of Minneapolis/St. Paul, although I didn't get to see it until a few days later. I just converted it to DVD last week.

I remember seeing it, remember it was on at night, but can't recall if it was the weekend or how I learned about it or whatnot. I'm assuming there must have been commercials for it because I do recall anticipating it (in other words I wasn't randomly flipping channels and finding it by surprise). I was very excited that it spent an equal amount of time on Eternia and Etheria, but I really hated those two children and Orko going to earth by accident. But then, I guess if none of that had happened, there wouldn't have been a story to tell...

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I remember seeing it, remember it was on at night, but can't recall if it was the weekend or how I learned about it or whatnot. I'm assuming there must have been commercials for it because I do recall anticipating it (in other words I wasn't randomly flipping channels and finding it by surprise).
    I'm pretty sure I found out about it through the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Magazine.

I do. I was 10 years old !
    The Xmas Special aired in Brazil for the firs time in December 25th, 1985.

Since SOTS and POP cartoon did not debuted in Brazil until this date, I was a bit confused about those new characters.

Heroic Warrior
    I do! I believe we taped it. I remember my sister and I singing the song that the kids sung while Bow played the harp.

I do, I recorded it on VHS & watched it again & again many years in a row. My favorite part was how many of the "new guys" where in those early scenes (Rattlor, Snout Spout, the Laser Bolt)
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

I recently found my VHS tape of the Christmas Special and watched it again. I think my mom must have gotten the record and pause buttons mixed up because there are more commercials than the actual show.

The special was great indeed, but I loved reliving the vintage toy commercials. Below are a few pics of the boy toy commercials I took to share with fans. There were also My Little Pony, Barbie, a Mickey Mouse Phone, Wuzzles....

Quote Originally Posted by thorns02 View Post
    I recently found my VHS tape of the Christmas Special and watched it again. I think my mom must have gotten the record and pause buttons mixed up because there are more commercials than the actual show.

The special was great indeed, but I loved reliving the vintage toy commercials. Below are a few pics of the boy toy commercials I took to share with fans. There were also My Little Pony, Barbie, a Mickey Mouse Phone, Wuzzles....
    Based on those commercials and your location, I think you've got the same broadcast I do. (The special's immediately preceded by a clip of Senator-to-be Rod Grams teasing the night's newscast, and followed by a Little House on the Prairie Christmas episode.) And yes, the commercials are the real fun of holding on to those vintage recordings.

Yeah man, thats the one! I don't have the beginning with Rod Grams, but I sure can watch the Little House Christmas episode anytime I want. Its actually not that bad.

Those toy commercials sure do bring back some memories. Do you recall Children's Palace off Cnty Rd 42 in Burnsville and Kay B Toys in the Burnsville Center? Got a lot of great toys from those places back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by thorns02 View Post
    Yeah man, thats the one! I don't have the beginning with Rod Grams, but I sure can watch the Little House Christmas episode anytime I want. Its actually not that bad.

Those toy commercials sure do bring back some memories. Do you recall Children's Palace off Cnty Rd 42 in Burnsville and Kay B Toys in the Burnsville Center? Got a lot of great toys from those places back in the day.
    Unfortunately, I never lived in the Twin Cities proper during the MotU era--I spent almost all of it in Esko, up by Duluth. My mom had a co-worker with cable or satellite make the tape, as I mentioned. (And we have the full Little House special on the tape as well--it is pretty good, and my mom's a dedicated fan.) However, I probably visited that Children's Palace, or one very much like it, on a day trip we took on January 23, 1987 to see the Power Tour. My prize from the MotU movie contest arrived just before we left--the Battle Bones and 10 figures. Since I already had four Battle Bones and all the figures they sent (although I used them to refresh my He-Man and Skeletor), we traded them in for credit at the Children's Palaces. I wound up with Beam-Blaster & Artilleray, Blast-Attack, Buzz-Saw Hordak, and a bunch of Construx.

Yes. I remember being utterly charmed by Skeletor and the puppy as a kid-- and wishing that the children would be quiet and let Bow sing that weird little song. (He sang quite well when he wasn't clowning.) And who doesn't love Skeletor giving an explosive "get lost" to Horde Prime towards the end? So much fun.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I was in middle school and it was during Christmas vacation. I remember that it was on a Saturday afternoon. It really caught me by surprise because there was supposed to be a sports show or something on. I thought it was a bit too cutesy with the dog, but I kind of liked seeing Skeletor forced to be nice.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

AHH those Sectaurs commercials that aired during the xmas special were the best!!!!

Snappy Threader
    I remember seeing it when it first aired. It was on during my bday party, so I didn't get to see too much of it, and I haven't seen it since. I was hoping for the big 30th anny celebration that we would see it is dvd stores......

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    I remember seeing it when it first aired. It was on during my bday party, so I didn't get to see too much of it, and I haven't seen it since. I was hoping for the big 30th anny celebration that we would see it is dvd stores......
    It's not too hard to find the 2010 DVD release, and it's also available for download from Amazon.

The Christmas Special That show always brings a smile to me. I was about 8 when I first saw the Christmas Special at home with my sister. Seeing Skeletor smile was a surprise as we where not expecting that. Every time of this time of the year and during Christmas I play me the dvd that bci had released back then.

Long Live MOTU/MOTUC'S

For me I actually remember it sometime during the week in the evening, on Fox 5 I believe it was a Thursday night. Snout Spout actually served a purpose in the episode as well!!!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I remember catching the very end of the X-mas special. I was so in awe that I got to see Snout Spout animated!
    However, I was really upset that I just caught the end of the show and didn't even know about it airing. Recently
    I got to see the whole thing. Awwwww Fights are fun!

Memories of the Christmas Special

Hey Guys,

Just watched the Christmas special with my seven year old nephew, he loved it! What are you favorite memories about it. One thing that always bothered me, I used to think it was crap that the Sorceress wasn't in the movie, they couldn't invite her to the party?...Lame.

I think I watched it once when it originally aired, so not much for childhood memories. It didn't get a yearly network run like Rudolph. I liked seeing some of the appearances of minor toy characters. I own both the DVD sets.

Xmas Special aired for the first time in Brazil in Xmas Day, 1985.

Two scenes were impressive for my ten years old eyes:

-- first, the battle in which He-Man used the (never seen before) Laser-Bolt vehicle and Skeletor's minions were Spikor, Two Bad, Webstor...and Rattlor ?!

Laser Bolt.jpg

snakemen7.jpg

-- Second, the end scene where most of the Heroic Warriors are shown in an amazing celebration. I think only Sorceress and Roboto were not invited...