Thread: Top 10, bottom 5 of 2012

Hybrid View

Top 10, bottom 5 of 2012

I imagine that something similar to this will show up as an official poll at some point but I couldn't find anything like this. Simply post your top 10 favorite figures of 2012 (with as much discussion as you care to offer) and then your bottom 5 figures of 2012. I've been keeping a spreadhseet all year updating as I go so I've been planning for this post since January!
    I'm not keeping track of points or anything, just interested in reading your lists and your thoughts.

One question: should we count Demo-Man and BG Evil-Lyn for 2012 since most of us didn't get them until late January/ early February?

Barbecue17's Top 10:

10. Slush Head- While there aren't many die hard NA fans, I think most reasonable fans can agree that the NA figures have been some of the best figures in the line. Each figure has given the 4H the chance to really do something new and cool with some different character designs. While I'm not a huge fan of Slush Heads water cap feature, I think the rest of the figure is amazing. His appearance is quite unique with an excellent and unique color scheme. Slush-Head really makes me continue to hunger for more NA figures in this line.

9.Kobra Khan I stood my Khan right next to King Hiss since he was looking lonely. Khan was a vintage character done right. His body sculpt is nice and unique, he has two varied heads, and his pistol (rather than reusing Zodak's gun) was uniquely sculpted. Oh, and Khan's little companion was a neat addition as well.

8. Fearless Photog- Fearless Photog was another excellent example of the 4H taking a concept and really running with it. Photog's color scheme was quite vibrant, but the black mixed with his yellow and blue really made him a unique looking figure. Of course, the 4H also went all out on his accessories with his unique film gun and film cannister ammo belt and the lens shield show in the original concept work. Add in two nice "action" features (the extending lens and the lenticular sticker on his chest) and Photog really stood out.

7. Mekaneck- While Mekaneck was almost exactly what we should have expected (basic body, reused Stinkor armor, vintage accesory) the way Mattel chose to implement his neck extensions was really quite neat. Giving us the option to extend Mekaneck's neck to ridiculous lengths really made him a fun figure.

6. Rattlor- Beautiful paint scheme? Check. Cool accessory? Check. Nice unobtrusive implementation of the figures classic action feature? Check. Rattlor turned out to be an excellent figure, even though the rattle on mine doesn't work.

5. Procrustus -Large, imposing, and with a unique paint job, Procrustus truly reminds me of a living statue. He definitely looks like something out of a Ray Harryhausen film. While he isn't super articulated by any stretch of the imagination, he certainly looks quite impressive just standing around holding the included Starseed accessory.

4. Demo-Man- Despite being brighter than we expected, Demo-Man still managed to be an excellent figure. Beautifully capturing Mark Taylor's artwork, Demo-Man captures the barbaric and frightening nature of the earliest MOTU toys and art. Great weapons, the cool skull with helmet accessory, and the Alcala Skeletor head all join together to make an excellent package that was well worth the wait.

3. Draego Man- Draego Man proved to me that if noone else understood the MOTU property, at least the 4H did. Draego-Man was truly a love letter to a figure that felt like it could have been part of the early vintage years. While the figure was amazing by itself (sculpt, wings, paint) the addition of his accessory pack weapons catapaulted him to greatness.

2. Castle Grayskullman- Daniel Benedict's winning entry for the 30th anniv. create a character context beautifully mixed together the magic, savagery, and mystery of the earliest MOTU incarnations with one of the most iconic images of the property: Castle Grayskull. CGMan is a brilliant figure with excellent paint, fantastic weapons, and a brilliant concept.

1. Fisto -This is how MOTUC figures should be done. Excellent figure, perfect QC, and the ability to mix and match parts to create one's own ultimate version of a character. Fisto included two heads, a belt, and two swords, all of which could be combined in numerous ways to create a 200x version of the character, a straight vintage version, or a nice mix. While Mattel usually pretends they don't understand what fans mean when they say they want 200x elements, Fisto proves that someone understood.

Addendum: If Demo-Man isn't included in your view of the top figures of 2012, just bump everone up one and add in Shadow Weaver as #10.

My bottom 5 figures:

5. Battleground Evil Lyn- There were some wonderful elements to this figure. The 2nd unhelmeted head was very nice. The casting hand and glowing elements were well done. Unfortunately, this figure still managed to miss exactly what most fans wanted- Evil Lyn in her wicked cool dress and not another appearance of Teela's unitard.

4. Sir Laser Lot- If I had to pick the blandest figure released, it might just be SLL. While he does come with a nice arsenal of accessories, his nothing but red and blue paint scheme just doesn't seem exciting at all. Add in the numerous paint problems I noticed on my figure and SLL was my least favorite figure of the 30th collection.

3. Jewelstar- I like her cape and the Jewels on her body but Jewelstar did nothing else to appeal to me. Not only was her ponytail fairly brittle but her crown just looked weird and she was sorely in need of a weapon of some kind.

2. Tallstar- While her face sculpt was beautiful and she did have an action feature that nicely replicated her powers without sacrificing the articulation or sculpt, Tallstar still managed to be quite bland. Her lack of (interesting) accessories is what landed her so low on the list

1. Eternos Palace Randor Eternos palace Randor. Perhaps the only good thing about him is the cup. In a line where every other character has a metallic gold paint to represent gold, Randor suddenly gets yellow. He also gets reduced articulation, a necklace that just doesn't want to stay in place, and really basic, bland colors and design. He could have been great, but alas was not.

Addendum: If BG Evil-Lyn doesn't count for 2012, Snake Man at Arms takes her place.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    Top 10:

10. TP He-Man
    9. Demo Man
    8. Stinkor
    7. Draego Man
    6. Spikor
    5. Fisto
    4. DB Skeletor
    3. Caste Grayskullman
    2. Rattlor
    1. Kobra Khan

Bottom 5:

5. Star Sisters
    4. Sir Laser Lot
    3. Cy Chop
    2. Procrustus
    1. Mighty Spector

Top 10:
    1. Fisto
    2. Shadow Weaver
    3. Frosta
    4. Sorceress
    5. Mekaneck
    6. Procrustus
    7. Slush Head
    8. Stinkor
    9. Star Sisters
    10. CGM

Bottom 5:
    1. Photog
    2. Thunder Punch He-man
    3. Dragon Blaster Skeletor
    4. Spector
    5. Dekker

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Best:
    Fisto
    Dreago-Man
    Snake Man-At-Arms
    Mekaneck
    Stinkor
    Kobra Khan
    Procrustus
    Shadow Weaver
    Slushhead
    Castle Grayskull Man

Worst:
    Frosta
    How did Mattel screw up so badly on one of the most anticipated POP characters to date? Frosta's hair was the wrong shade of blue, her back wasn't painted, Mattel used gray instead of white (for a snow/ice character), her face was off-model and her gloves were backwards. It's sad when the Polly Pocket team cared more about Frosta than the MOTUC team did.

Thunder Punch He-Man
    The lack of a tan hurt this figure. It's not consistent with the other He-Man figures in the line.

Cy-Chop
    Sir Laser-Lot
    Mighty Spector
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 26, 2012 at 01:52am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Frosta
    How did Mattel screw up so badly on one of the most anticipated POP characters to date? Frosta's hair was the wrong shade of blue, her back wasn't painted, Mattel used gray instead of white (for a snow/ice character), her face was off-model and her gloves were backwards.[/B]
    Excuse me (and I'm not trying to be conflictive here), but why would you say her face was off-model? Just because she doesn't look like the Filmation version? Because, to be honest, this can be said about almost every single figure released on this line. The same thing can be said about the colors. The only complaint I can get about Frosta is the assembly issue, and I'll give you the gray instead of white, but complaining about the hair color and/or the face being off-model is nitpicking.

(Not in any particular order)

Fisto - The vintage figure looked goofy. This guy looks like he could hand you your behind and make you thank him for the privilege.

Shadow Weaver - Beautifully executed, and a shining example of how to do Filmation characters in this line. Her only flaw is that as a sub exclusive she didn't have the availability she should have.

Stinkor - Could care less about the vintage figure, but I fell in love with this little guy. The 200x crazed Mogwai face is just killer. A shame about the arm swap.

Kobra Kahn - One of the figures that I feel veers a little too close to vintage, but the hooded head and Pixel saved him.

Draego-man - He's a near perfect Draconian in the MOTUC universe. His weapons from the new expansion pack only add to his excellence.

Snake-men soldiers - Very well done army-builder pack. Blastic is it's only weakness.

Rattlor - The 4H sculpt anthropomorphic creatures incredibly well, but Blastic strikes again.

Procrustus - A pleasant surprise. Kudos to whoever amped up the Harryhausen on him, because it works beautifully.

TOD Sorceress - The Sorceress is a beautiful figure, but her initial release was marred by the lack of the good hip joints and those huge eyesores/drums. This figure corrected both those problems, and the simple color palette let her beauty shine through.

The following are borderline due to issues.

Frosta - Should be an easy top ten, but as executed (swapped arms, really gray plastic, sloppy or missing paint apps) dragged her down. She is one of my favorites and does have a beautiful face sculpt, but I had to do a lot of work on her I shouldn't have had to do.

Granamyr - Wasn't interested, then saw that beautiful sculpt at SDCC. However, the reported QC issues are making me nervous. Once I have him in hand, I'll be able to judge better.

The figures that just didn't wow me:

Dekker - Instead of a second head, should have come with removable armor or more weaponry. As presented, he's a shelf-warmer. And I actually like the guy.

EP Randor - I don't think civilian gear works out the way it should. The only thing I like about this figure is his pimp cup. Having him in hand didn't change that.

DB Skeletor - The dragon and the Blastic really dampened my enthusiasm for this Skeletor. Should have been a knock-out, ended up a dud.

Tallstar - Classics MOTU figures, more often than not, are devoted to their vintage counterparts. The Star Sisters were copied after some poster art despite having well-documented prototypes. T-Star, who has one of the best female face sculpts, would look a hell of a lot better in toy colors; the MOTUC paint scheme makes my eyes bleed.

Jewelstar - Again, toy colors reign supreme here. A lack of accessories also hurts.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    Excuse me (and I'm not trying to be conflictive here), but why would you say her face was off-model? Just because she doesn't look like the Filmation version? Because, to be honest, this can be said about almost every single figure released on this line. The same thing can be said about the colors. The only complaint I can get about Frosta is the assembly issue, and I'll give you the gray instead of white, but complaining about the hair color and/or the face being off-model is nitpicking.
    I myself am quite happy with her....She has 2 major issues....2....at least she can stand up, has a better crotch piece and longer skirt than Sorceress (And I still like Sorceress, but she could be better), doesn't have 50 gallon wing drums, has articulated thighs, isn't a Star Sister, can sit down, can hold her head still, her head doesn't sit a foot above her neck peg like BP She-Ra & Teela....has a visible backside and thighs that actually look anatomically correct, her eyes don't look into space like Marlena, have a drive thru window on his back like Fisto...for a sword mainly 200X fans care anything about, his silver flat abs with a skin color upper body, looks dumb, and most of all doesn't have a 95% painted body that is known to have serious chipping and flaking issues....out of all she has better than other females and other figures in general in the line.

But hey let's focus on the 2 or 3 things she's got wrong. And as far as her face, I think she looks quite good, what the hell does everyone want her to look like Aphrodite or something? She is a great cross between Filmation and her doll....why does the face have to be so dead on, He-Man' s face doesn't look like his Filmation or his figure self, Teela's face doesn't look like her Filmation or her figure model....So people want what exactly?

I am not happy MAA got the cardback colors, I hate the "HI" Mer-Man hand, I think he should have gotten the regular hands both the Vintage toy and Filmation versions had. I hated they purposely reversed Stinkor's brand new forearms. All are more major gripes of mine, but let's not forget an $80 dragon now that apparently has togetherness issues....as well as rotten snout and broken pelvis figures....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 27, 2012 at 10:24pm.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

01 Fisto
    02 Shadow Weaver
    03 Rattlor
    04 Sorceress
    05 Mosquitor
    06 Spikor
    07 Slush Head
    08 Kobra Khan
    09 Griffin
    10 Frosta

01 Sir Laser Lot
    02 The Mighty Spector
    03 Snake Man-At-Arms (edited BG Evil Lyn)
    04 TP He-Man
    05 Decker
    Last edited by The Horrorist; December 24, 2012 at 05:28pm.

For all you voting on BG Evil-Lyn, she was not a 2012 character. She was the 4th quarter variant for 2011.

Best:

10. Kobra Kahn
    9. Eternos Palace King Randor
    8. Horde Prime
    7. Procrustus
    6. Castle Grayskullman
    5. Draego Man
    4. Rattlor
    3. Shadow Weaver
    2. Granamyr
    1. Fisto

Worst:

5. Slush Head
    4. Photog
    3. Snake Man-at-Arms
    2. Thunder Punch He-Man
    1. Dragon Blaster Skeletor (worst figure in the line)
    Last edited by csc0709; December 24, 2012 at 01:01pm.

10. slush head
    9. draego man
    8. tp he man
    7. sorceress
    6. photog
    5. procrustus
    4. stinkor
    3. mekaneck
    2. kobra khan
    1. fisto

5. db skeletor
    4. smaa
    3. mighty spector
    2. star sisters (and starla in particular)
    1. cy-chop

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Ok let's see...
    This is not about who I'm liking the most, but about which figure's actually the most deserving imo:

1. Draego-Man
    2. Rattlor (he'd have been first place if it wasn't for that black plastic...)
    3. Fisto
    4. Dragon Blaster Skeletor (black plastic... )
    5. Snakemen Guards
    6. Slush-Head
    8. Horde Prime
    9. Kobra Khan
    10. Shadow Weaver

I haven't received my CGM or Mosquitor yet - that's why they aren't listed.

Bottom 5:
    1. Eternos Palace Randor (Nice figure - but I much prefer Battle Armour Randor)
    2. TP He-Man (nice variant but I much prefer the original He-Man)
    3. Mighty Spector (he's not bad, but he's not that good either)
    4. Frosta (I like her but too many flaws)
    5. Stinkor (sorry, but the reversed forearms, non painted weapons and duck feet were too much for me)

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    1. Dragon Blaster Skeletor (worst figure in the line)
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; December 24, 2012 at 01:50pm.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    For all you voting on BG Evil-Lyn, she was not a 2012 character. She was the 4th quarter variant for 2011.
    Yeah, I guess I started that in this thread because last year Demoman and BG Evil-Lyn were left off of most votes for best of 2011. There was some talk about leaving December 2012 figures off if the 2012 polls but it seems that most fans are getting them in a timely manner despite the predicted delays.

I'm curious as to why I'm seeing so many Dekkers and Griffins in the bottom 5: Do people really not like these figures or is it just because they are 200x?

Most of the top picks are pretty expected. Cool to see Procrustus getting so much love. I think Mattel did a smashing job on him and he suceeds by his design alone.

Always interesting to see how someone's bottom picks are in another fan's top picks. I'd love if folks explained a little more about why they ranked certain figures so high or so low beyond just "I like xyz, I hate xyz."
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Highs
    1. Granamyr
    2. Fisto
    3. Procrustus
    4. Spikor
    5. Draego-Man
    6. Sorceress
    7. Shadow Weaver
    8. Mekaneck
    9. Cy-Chop
    10. Griffin

Lows (but still good)
    1. Mighty Spector
    2. Jewellstar (cannot transform into jewell)
    3. Vykron
    4. Dekker (I like him but someone has to make the list in what has been an exceptional year)
    5. Sir Laser-Lot (I would like him much better if he didn't have that bit of techno above his left ear)
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I often wonder if TG had come up with the concept for Draego Man if it would be as hated as Spector is.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    One question: should we count Demo-Man and BG Evil-Lyn for 2012 since most of us didn't get them until late January/ early February?
    Demo Man & BG Evil-Lyn aren't 2012 figures, they are officially 2011...even though we got Demo finally a month into 2012....A lot of people placed separate orders and got BGEL in Dec.

And who are you calling a unitard?

Top 10:
    1) Rattlor (awesome detail, tightest figure ever, neck extension makes the figure pop)
    2) Frosta (favorite female in the line, Teela would take it, but Frosta has the correct thigh / booty proportions, she's not white as snow...whoopty doo)
    3) Draego-Man (#3 because you had to buy the WP to get all of his stuff)
    4) Mekaneck (one of my top 5 favorites as a kid)
    5) DB Skeletor (other than Dragon's head, great sculpt, despite the blastic issues many have had)
    6) TP He-Man (one of my top 5 favorites as a kid)
    7) Randor (despite his lack of leg posability, and missing bicep cut, on the shelf, he looks nice)
    8) Granamyr (22" MOTUC Dragon....do I need say more?)
    9) Fisto (I hate the shopping cart on his back, the Vintage sword should have had priority as far as a sheath, and silver flat abs with skin colored chest / back....looks stupid to me)
    10) TOD Sorceress (despite the same crotch, and wing pegs, the Teela boots & articulated thighs beat the original release, as much as I like Sorceress)

I can't rank Fisto at the top, to me there are better more detailed figures that deserve the spot. As many
    issues as other say other figures like Sorceress and Frosta have, I find Fisto to have similar issues that put his
    ranking down. Despite all of that, he's still a top 10 of mine from 2012, from the front he looks awesome, not so
    much from the back. At least Frosta has the right parts or nothing huge and disproportionate unlike Sorceress
    and Sorceress as a character in Filmation is my favorite, and only her TOD variant made my top 10. And I'm not
    even a POP fan. And at least she's not decaying or her crotch exploding, or chest cracking, Sorceress and the
    Blastic figures have more design flaws than her.

Bottom 5:
    1) Cy-Chop (I really do not like this figure, possibly the most disliked of mine in the whole line)
    2) Sir Laser-Lot (likely my third most disliked figure in the line)
    3) Spector (said everything already in many posts about this one....'nuff said)
    4) Star Sisters (if Starla was separate, I would have bought her only)
    5) Dekker (Rohad is MAA's mentor to me, I don't like 200X)
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 24, 2012 at 01:33pm.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

What a great year for MOTUC this has been!

1) Shadow Weaver
    2) Horde Prime
    3) Star Sisters
    4) Slush Head
    5) Fisto
    6) Mekaneck
    7) Rattlor
    8) Kobra Khan
    9) Sorceress
    10) Granamyr

Bottom 5:
    1) Frosta - I think it's the most disappointed I've been with a MOTUC figure so far
    2) Vykron
    3) TP He-Man
    4) Cy-Chop
    5) Dekker

Top 10
    1) Mosquitor - The one Horde figure I've been wanting the most since MOTUC started, he's finally here and does not disappoint.
    2) Shadow Weaver - A dream come true for Filmation fans!
    3) Castle Grayskullman - Overall great design but it's the accessories that really make him stand out.
    4) Draego-Man - I'm not a big fan of dragons but this is a good design.
    5) Slush Head - Finally some more NA!
    6) Horde Prime - Love the design, Hordak has been relegated to the back of the shelf in favor of the real Horde leader.
    7) Granamyr - I like big toys!
    8) Procrustus - Love the paint scheme.
    9) Starla - The best of the sisters and the best of the heroic females this year.
    10) Filmation Randor - This is the Randor I've wanted since I was a kid.

Bottom 5
    1) Dekker - Ugh, just an overall boring design. Feels like a peasant more than anything else.
    2) Snake Man-At-Arms - Needless variant.
    3) Jewelstar - Would have been better if she had been based on the prototype.
    4) DB Skeletor - My least favorite Skeletor variant from the vintage line and still doesn't really do anything for me to this day.
    5) Mekaneck - My least favorite Heroic Warrior from the vintage line, I'll never get excited over Mekaneck. At least he's cooler than Dekker.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Best:
    1) Shadow Weaver (near perfect)
    2) Spikor (excellent)
    3) Fisto (love the sculpt; don't like the non-removable 200X sword sheath & brown hair)
    4) Fearless Photog (long overdue)
    5) Kobra Khan (finally done justice)
    6) Rattlor (great colours and rattle feature)
    7) Draego-Man (with the weapons pak accessories)
    8) Mekaneck (simple but well made)
    9) Castle Grayskullman (superb new addition)
    10) Griffin (always great to get more creatures)

Worst:
    1) Sorceress (the wings are a mess - both the design and colour is off. An essential character, I just hope a 2.0 version is made to do her justice)
    2) DB Skeletor (unarticulated dragon, non-removable chain, inorrect skin tone, chain incorrectly attached to collar)
    3) TP He-Man (sickly pale skin, only 1 cap, cap is the wrong size)
    4) Frosta (badly painted eyes & lips, forearms reversed, unpainted back, should be white not grey, hips should be blue, staff should spin)
    5) Snake Man-At-Arms (not enough new stuff, & I preferred the prototype to this kitbash)

1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Thunder Punch He-Man
    3. Kobra Khan
    4. Procrustus
    5. Fisto
    6. Slushhead
    7. Mosquitor
    8. Rattlor
    9. King Randor
    10. TIE: Star Sisters & Griffin

I didn't count Demo-Man or BG Evil-Lyn. Also, haven't gotten Granamyr yet so did not include him.

I have no interest in naming a bottom five.
    Last edited by Swifty; December 26, 2012 at 05:29pm.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Top 10:

1. Temple of Darkness Sorceress
    2. Fisto
    3. Procrustus
    4. Granamyr
    5. Draego-Man
    6. Spikor
    7. Yellow Snake Warrior
    8. Thunder Punch He-Man
    9. Shadow Weaver
    10. Mosquitor

Bottom 5:

1. The Mighty Spector
    2. Cy-Chop
    3. Fearless Photog
    4. Vykron
    5. Frosta

(I didn't count Demo-Man or BG Evil-Lyn for this year)
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

1 Procrustus
    2 Draego-Man
    3 Fearless Photog
    4 Spikor
    5 Slush-Head
    6 Fisto
    7 Granamyr
    8 Rattlor
    9 dragon Blastor Skeletor
    10 Stinkor

Bottom