Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Was the Best Year to Start Collecting MOTUC?

Probably 2009. Most of the core characters were released that year, and some of them (like Teela) have yet to be reissued. They were a lot cheaper then too.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post
    Ditto for me! So glad now that I started in the beginning.
    Same here!

Although coming in at a more recent time gives collectors more figures to start snapping up, the prices are higher and the selection is not always there, i.e. Teela, Tri-Klops, and Fisto, not to mention the sub exclusives like Wun-Dar and Shadow Weaver.... Plus, being there at the beginning and watching the line grow and transform into something much bigger than anyone expected (I mean we got a Granamyr for goodness sakes!!) was a pretty magical experience. Similar to the 200X days, but oh-so-much better!!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Crikey - well I started this June and have mostly caught up with everything now aside from some of the beasts and a few characters I am still unsure of but has cost me a small fortune all in all - I was lucky enough to score Teela (original), Scareglow, Whiplash, TriClops and Faker along with an original complete Snake Mountain in 1 hit from an ebay auction which had surpisingly little attention (just 1 other bidder)

I did see the adverts for MOTUC back in 2008 but as I live in the UK I thought it would be imposssible given it was all subscription and its only this year I have been in a position to afford to actually start a collection

Have noticed since the BF/CM sales that prices are creeping up for some figures though - perhaps the knowledge that the figures not on sale are now most likely not going to be on sale again through Matty meaning the secondary market is the only option.
    Last edited by kochane; December 28, 2012 at 11:51pm.

Heroic Warrior
    IMHO 2009. Prices were cheaper, and less catching up to do than those recently discovering MOTUC and starting a collection today.

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX

From someone just now starting

From all your posts, I wish I'd taken my collecting more seriously. I spent 2008 - 2010 in Korea and Iraq, so when I finally finished those overseas tours I traded off the only MOTUC figure I had, a bronze King Grayskull, for Man At Arms and Zodac.
    Money got tight so I just had those 2 figures from July 2010 til Christmas a week ago when my brother gifted me a box packed with 5 more figures he'd scored for me thanks to the better than Black Friday sale.

Oddly enough, I still don't own a MOTUC He-Man or Skeletor as they weren't priced at $16>
    And the card statements are coming due; so I'm hoping that TRU DCvsMOTU come down even more from the Bogo50%off just so I can add a Stratos and Mer Man from all that overstock

I dropped out summer 2011, after having everything up to that point, including both SDCC versions of KG (I don't count the Spirit of KG, as I view it as unattainable). I immediately regretted getting out, even more so as the remainder of my 2011 sub items trickled in.

Black Friday 2011 re-invigorated me though, and with that sale and a few eBay purchases I was back in the game. As of this month, I am back to where I was, except for the TRU DC/MOTUC sets.

I can remember the first time they offered subscriptions for the last quarter of 2009. I hadn't bought one, and by that time DR and the WSOD made day-of-sale purchases for popular characters a nightmare. I vowed at that time I would never go without subscribing. I didn't sub for the 30th anniversary stuff, but managed to snag all those.

Here we are, four years later and the line has gone further than many of us would have ever imagined with CG on the way.

Long live MOTUC!

2008 was good, but remember we had our issues... He-man had reversed shoulders... Boom first official figure for the line (KGS was the SDCC exclusive) and we had arm issues. A few months later Stratos' wings glued onto the back of his arms... ***? Mer-Man fiasco... DR's first of numerous issues... I ended up ordering 6 Mer-Man figs... while I only wanted 2. Things were rough as sellouts were monthly and very fast. The we got the 2009 4 fig sub. Sub holder's Teela's were shipped well after DOS, and of course we couldn't combine shipping with Zodak or Goddess... Oh by the way, many people had her pelvis explode. 2010 was better I think, as was 2011... we had an issue once in a while, but nothing too bad... King Hiss was a letdown... but I have to say 2012 was the biggest disaster... great line up, but with DR *** up with Fisto, all the backwards arms, black plastic, and now Granamyr falling apart... I truly wonder why the hell I still buy these things every month! I am locked in for 2013, and I may buy a CGS just to finish off the collection, but if 2013's quality isn't better no one will sub in for 2014.
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

I'd have to say 2009. There was only a short period of time where i had to go and make up for the early batch of figures that i missed cause i didn't know the line existed. Being a completist, i wouldn't be too happy if was just starting out in 2012, for example, especially considering the various reasons/aspects attached to some of the figures nowadays. On a side note, i feel that SDCC in '09 was the stand-out SDCC so far IMO. I haven't felt that excited about MOTU figures revealed at an SDCC since.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by kochane View Post
    Crikey - well I started this June and have mostly caught up with everything now aside from some of the beasts and a few characters I am still unsure of but has cost me a small fortune all in all - I was lucky enough to score Teela (original), Scareglow, Whiplash, TriClops and Faker along with an original complete Snake Mountain in 1 hit from an ebay auction which had surpisingly little attention (just 1 other bidder)

I did see the adverts for MOTUC back in 2008 but as I live in the UK I thought it would be imposssible given it was all subscription and its only this year I have been in a position to afford to actually start a collection

Have noticed since the BF/CM sales that prices are creeping up for some figures though - perhaps the knowledge that the figures not on sale are now most likely not going to be on sale again through Matty meaning the secondary market is the only option.
    2010 was the first full year sub, not 2008, and 2009 only had like the last 4 figures in a sub, or something like that.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    2008 or 2009 - good times! all the core characters came out one after the other and it felt like the 80s again - all of the 8 back came out in one year.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

I'll admit, the core characters have always been of my least favorite, w/ some exceptions. But 2008 was awsome to see these characters spring back to life. I bought my he-man and beast man on the first day of sale and never looked back.

2008 was the year! Grayskull at SDCC 2008 was awesome, then He-Man & Beastman in Nov 2008 and Skeletor in Dec 2008... It was awesome.
    2009 was a complete adventure though! Fast sell outs and core characters.
    Every year since has been icing on the cake.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

2008 was the best because it helped me understand the problems I was going to continue to see with Digital River. I remember ending up with three King Grayskull figures after my wife and I both tried logging on to the site for an hour straight and somehow purchased multiple figures. The excitement has never been as high though. It was the first new figures in years and it was like being a kid again.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!