Thread: Vintage King Grayskull

Vintage King Grayskull

My redesigned King Grayskull, inspired by elements from the Vintage line, with several features of MYP design (loose ponytails and cape) so that he would still be recognizable.
    I decided to combine design elements of the castle Grayskull, He-Man and She-Ra figures and a few characteristic details of the MYP design.

I used Grayskull coat of arms which is present at the door of the castle. This coat of arms shows helmet with three horns on the place where crown should be, so that must the crown of King Grayskull

Since his helmet represents a crown, I painted it in gold, while horns are painted in the color of the castle. The helmet have a symbol of the skull framed by pair of wings as found on the coat of arms, and it is interesting that She-Ra's tiara is also in shape of wings, framing her face in the same way.

Because I used He-Man's head as a base, eyes and eyebrows are painted in colors like those of She-Ra.

Instead of the chain across the chest I will probably put a silver harness of Yugoslavian bootleg He-Man in the same color of YU ax which he already has, and of course, the sword in the same manner, when I get them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That is SO cool! You've built a bridge between vintage MOTU and POP with this figure. Really well done!! The hair really looks looks as of it belongs on a MOTU figure. Repainting the eyes is a great touch. Well thought out.

Also, the helmet... NICE!! Never realized up until now that the helmet in the door is actually also a nod to the very first He-Man prototype. Your version takes that design to the next level. Fun! And wonderful sculpt too!

Very cool. I really like your use of the motif from the jaw bridge. King Grayskull doesn't need some wussy crown, he wears a helmet! Thanks for sharing.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Thank you very much guys!

Quote Originally Posted by e-man View Post
    The hair really looks looks as of it belongs on a MOTU figure.
    Yeah, don't forget that MOTU figures (Tytus and Megator) have the same hair (even the same color in Tytus).

Quote Originally Posted by e-man View Post
    Never realized up until now that the helmet in the door is actually also a nod to the very first He-Man prototype.
    I am planing to make figure based on Tony Guerrero sculpture/prototype as a separate character (the third viking like character) so I made a bigger horns and a bit different proportions for King Grayskull helmet, but still they both fits good as interpretations of helmet from coat of arms.

AMAZING!!!!!!!!! (...i do sound like Miss Spears...)

Your King Grayskull looks great and i always like the research you put into your designs!

I like the rooted hair on him and thinking of Tytus it is very Vintage to me! The two colored left gauntlet looks great and there for the gold chain is fitting if you ask me.

Very cool custom, as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    and there for the gold chain is fitting if you ask me.
    Thanks Niki, as a fan of your redesigns of course that your opinion matters to me.
    The chain is good solution until I find the silver harness.
    On the other hand I am afraid that harness isn't to much on the figure, since he has that big cape with fur...but then if you look at the vintage King Randor, he has ornamented cape and removable armor...

Snappy Threader
    Oh that is very nice for sure. Vintage customs rock!

Again a great custom. You've realy got your own style making these awsome customs.
    Also the background info is a litle work of art. Keep up the good work and go vintage!
    Nope.... nothing here! Just a link to my site http://motumulder.webklik.nl/page/fotoalbum with customs!

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Excellent work on the helmet, great figure all around.

Amazing!!!! You skills are beyond compare!!!!

Chris
    Is not not licking toads

Thanks very much guys!

I finally bought Yugoslavian bootleg silver He-Man harness to match with silver YU ax, for my King Grayskull custom.
    It maybe looks unfinished without painted details on the harness, but I can't decide should I paint it or not and which color to use. :/