Thread: Granamyr assembly warning on the front page of .org needs customizers backing

Granamyr assembly warning on the front page of .org needs customizers backing

Hello customizers of the .org. I have recently proposed an idea for assembling Granamyr in such a way that should provide less breakage, and I also provided a link given to me by another .org member with tips for assembling the arm (I can't recall who it was because I deleted the message to make room in my stuffed inbox : / ). I have asked Val to add this news to the front page, so that people who have yet to assemble their figures can at least stand a better chance of not breaking this $100.00 figure, in a month with all 3 figures being defective. Val has said that he needs the backing of known customizers to support this idea, and to possibly give other ideas. Please voice your support/ideas here, and Hopefully it will be posted to the front page in time to save some people a major headache. Thanks for your help in advance. I know that others will be happy to know that things were done by those that could do something, to help them avoid this enormous hassle on this very expensive figure.

Btw, a few customizers that he mentioned specifically by name are Hunterknight, Master English, Joe Amaro, and Joe Amato aka Joseephus.

Below is my original porposition, and the link that was given to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun
    When my figure arrived, the ring in the body cavity that his tail attaches to, was in tact. The plastic was cold, which makes it much more brittle. When I tried to assemble the tail, the ring snapped incredibly easy. The plastic is frail, the design causes load bearing weakspots, and the cold plastic expounds both problems dramatically. When your Granamyr figure arrives, allow him to come to room temperature. After coming to room temp, you may even want to heat up the ports (including the arm ports) with a hair dryer before assembly. What ever you do, DO NOT assemble him if the plastic is cold.

Also, as for the arm ports, if you assemble the arms first, before you attach the upper torso to the lower body, you can press against the attachment rings inside the torso, while you insert the arms, which will help to keep them from snapping loose. More info on that here -

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-watch-out%2F
    To heat up the ports

Going from extreme cold to extreme heat can also cause cracking and weakness, so AFTER the figure has naturally come to room temperature, use a hairdrier on the ports for about a minute and move it around while doing so. Try to make it a gradual heating i.e. start about a foot or so away, and slowly move closer, while moving the drier in a semi-slow circular motion. Normally this isn't necessary, but with this brittle frail plastic and design, it's better safe than sorry. I'm not sure if heating the pegs will help in this situation, but with the wings I'm pretty certain that you only want to heat the ports. You do not want the ports to be HOT hot, just very warm. You don't want the housing that holds the ports to warp, which should not be a problem unless you go crazy with extremely close heat, for longer than 45 seconds to a minute.

Joe Amato here. Yeah this is a very easy figure to put together. Definitely do not assemble him while cold. Before putting any part in, use a hairdryer for 1 minute on each area you are putting together, which includes the socket opening and the plug from whatever part you are putting in. It goes in with no problem at all, and you do not have to worry about any breaks.
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

So there is a Joe Amato. Val put your name too, but I thought it was a typo; and he accidently put a 't' instead of an 'r' for a repeat of Joe Amaro's name. My bad. The letters are even next to one another on the keyboard!

Thanks for your comment. I'm sure those who have yet to recieve him will be very appreciative of your help and contribution!

nicholas

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    This thread must be on the front page!
    (thank you to Nicholighkun and all the customizers!)
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

You're doing a much needed service for the board. Too bad this got lost in the catchall Grany thread. Thanks for being persistent!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Comments like that are why the .org needs a like button. I don't think it requires a reply from me, but I'd like to "like" it to let you know that I read and appreciate it. Oh well. Thanks though!

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    I didn't order the figure, too much $, too little space, and no real sentimental attachment. Otherwise I would try my best to help. Sorry guys but best of luck with your project!

Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    I didn't order the figure, too much $, too little space, and no real sentimental attachment. Otherwise I would try my best to help. Sorry guys but best of luck with your project!
    Don't worry, I gave an explanation on how to help. This is one that does not need a giant walkthrough or video to help others. Very easy 1 minute hair dryer method to each socket and plug, and everyone is good to go!

mine is still in process so all I can say is if Joe says it, its true!
    Please don't try to contact me thru heman.org about casted parts. That is specifically against there guidelines and out of respect for them don't do it. I rarely visit this site any more anyway so any messages more than likely wont be seen for a month. Facebook is the best way, i check there daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Karak Nul View Post
    mine is still in process so all I can say is if Joe says it, its true!
    I did it to mine, and everything plugged in nice and smooth. You just need to warm up the sockets/plugs, and warm the glue inside the body. Do not assemble it while it is cold, that is when most of the breaking occurs. Heck my Granamyr even stands up on his own!

It's also a good idea to assemble the arms to the torso before conecting the two parts of the main body, so that you can apply pressure to the arm sockets inside the torso, as you're pushing the arms in to join them. I would also suggest that one does not apply force to the joint that is greater than the force applied from pressing the arm into socket; both pressures should be even and very controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    Don't worry, I gave an explanation on how to help. This is one that does not need a giant walkthrough or video to help others. Very easy 1 minute hair dryer method to each socket and plug, and everyone is good to go!
    That makes sense, I actually got on to suggest that. Pretty standard remedy for figures and parts that don't want to go together/ come apart easily. Good to know it works for all the fans who haven't assembled Granamyr yet.

Hello guys, HKC here. mine hasn't arrived yet so I cannot assess the problem, but from what I have read on the Facebook threads is all a matter of "cold plastic" These figures have been sitting all day in cold usps/ups trucks which makes the plastic slightly brittle. heating the sockets brings the plastic back to regular temperature (molecules start moving at a higher speed) So far all problems come from people living in cold areas, I want to see how mine is since I live in Florida where there is no cold/snow ever...Stay tuned!

Problem solved right? Seems like nicholighkun has explained a great way to prevent breakage in the first post.

I found that I could get the tail on by pushing it in very slowly without wiggling it or using very much force. Can't say if that would help, but I'd never thought to be that gentle since Matty BAF type permenant assemblies often feel like they require gorilla strength.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    I found that I could get the tail on by pushing it in very slowly without wiggling it or using very much force. Can't say if that would help, but I'd never thought to be that gentle since Matty BAF type permenant assemblies often feel like they require gorilla strength.
    Great point, and terrific description of what it usually takes to accomplish Matty DIY assembly.

It was cold here in MI when he arrived, but I just let the figure warm up and sit at room temp for a day then popped him together, no problems. Everything popped in very easily, I can see potential trouble spots though if you pushed too hard before it was at least at room temp.

But for the arms, I pushed my thumbs against the peg hole connectors inside the chest as I was pushing the arm in, just to be sure the connector didn't pop out and go inside....

It's a good rule of thumb to put the arms in before snapping the chest to the body.

I can even disassemble mine with little effort as far as the limbs without any stress developing. I didn't however pop the chest and abs together, since he's just sitting there I didn't feel the need to, he's on a very sturdy platform that does not move. And I removed the tail so I could display him, but the tail is sitting behind him as if it's attached, with the space I had for him, it's my only display option if not he'd sit too far out. And eventually when space is at a minimum, I may return him to his box fully broken down, or if I ever have to transport him.

But I had no issues without using a hair dryer I just used even pressure for the legs and the technique I mentioned for the arm sockets. But mine suffers from weak Knee syndrome, I have seen some able to stand him without assistance or propping him against a wall, mine can't even do that because of a looser knee joint, sucks, because I just wanted to see him stand. I could repair the joint, but he's designed to sit, and it's such a big joint, so I said screw it.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 11, 2013 at 05:58am.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    It was cold here in MI when he arrived, but I just let the figure warm up and sit at room temp for a day then popped him together, no problems. Everything popped in very easily, I can see potential trouble spots though if you pushed too hard before it was at least at room temp.

But for the arms, I pushed my thumbs against the peg hole connectors inside the chest as I was pushing the arm in, just to be sure the connector didn't pop out and go inside....

It's a good rule of thumb to put the arms in before snapping the chest to the body.

I can even disassemble mine with little effort as far as the limbs without any stress developing. I didn't however pop the chest and abs together, since he's just sitting there I didn't feel the need to, he's on a very sturdy platform that does not move. And I removed the tail so I could display him, but the tail is sitting behind him as if it's attached, with the space I had for him, it's my only display option if not he'd sit too far out. And eventually when space is at a minimum, I may return him to his box fully broken down, or if I ever have to transport him.

But I had no issues without using a hair dryer I just used even pressure for the legs and the technique I mentioned for the arm sockets. But mine suffers from weak Knee syndrome, I have seen some able to stand him without assistance or propping him against a wall, mine can't even do that because of a looser knee joint, sucks, because I just wanted to see him stand. I could repair the joint, but he's designed to sit, and it's such a big joint, so I said screw it.
    my granamyr's left knee is loose, i looked at it and the pin isn't in all the way, i'm going to heat it up and squeeze it in tonight, hopefully that will solve it. I will have him sitting too but i'd like the option of having him stand.

I did the same as you with his arms, it's a great technique, the tail gave me the most problems, i warmed it up but it was a hard fit. i got it though best figure in the line period.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'll be helping a friend assemble his tomorrow night. Granny will be at room temp and we will warm the joints before inserting them. I'll post my experience after I complete it.

This is a good standard practice and I endorse it. I recently used this technique for Procrustus' back arms.

instead of squeezing all i had to do was push the pin in better, now the left knee is nice and tight. not quite as tight as the right but it holds the big guy's weight!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Well mine came 3 days ago and both granamyrs I ordered came with the inner holding tabs broken straight from the factory....that is just great! the problem is easy to fix for me, but I wonder how many of you got it with the same exact problem? and whether if a tutorial will be needed for this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Knight View Post
    Well mine came 3 days ago and both granamyrs I ordered came with the inner holding tabs broken straight from the factory....that is just great! the problem is easy to fix for me, but I wonder how many of you got it with the same exact problem? and whether if a tutorial will be needed for this issue?
    At least some kind of tutorial. Mine is cracked, and I haven't attempted to fix it yet because I'm not sure the best way. I'd love to see pics or video of one or two ways to fix it.