Thread: I don't like any other incarnations of He-man and She-ra than the Filmation cartoons

Heroic Warrior

I don't like any other incarnations of He-man and She-ra than the Filmation cartoons

To me, He-man and She-ra are John Erwin and Melendy Britt voice acting the Filmation hand-drawn animation cells. The Sorceress is Linda Gary, and Skeletor is Alan Oppenheimer.

Once you take away John Erwin and Melendy Britt, and the Filmation vision of their characters, you don't have He-man and She-ra anymore.

Without the Filmation hand-drawn cell animation and music, oh my god you have to have the music, you don't have Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power. You lose the power.

My dream is that Mattel would buy the Filmation Library, and use the He-man and She-ra stock animation cells from the 80's to make more episodes and movies. Bring back Melendy Britt, John Erwin, and Alan Oppenheimer to reprise their roles. And find voice actors who can duplicate Linda Gary and George DiCenzo.

Also, bring back as many writers from the original shows as you can (eg. Bob Forward, Larry DiTillio, J. Michael Straczynski).

Hire back the musical composers of the original Filmation show. I love the guitar instrumental of the She-ra cartoon. It was so innovative, hip, and cool; it really stuck in my head.

Finally, bring back the original Filmation artists who drew He-man and She-ra, Castle Grayskull, the Sorceress, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Skeletor, Hordak, and the worlds of Eternia and Etheria the way they were always meant to be envisioned.
    Last edited by dura_grip; December 29, 2012 at 09:37pm.

Snappy Threader
    I love all incarnations, but to me, Filmation is for sure the iconic version.....

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Sometimes you can't go back, only forward. I'd like more Glut and Alcala mini-comics or some more MYP seasons, but those aren't happening.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I say, "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it."

You can't beat the Filmation music, the transformation sequences, cell animation, and voice acting.

Someone please use the Filmation stock figure library to make more episodes.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

More than anything else, I hate She-Ra's voice in the cartoon. It sounds so condescending and *****y. The music wasn't really great either "She Ra! She Ra!" But I have come to like the overall show in recent years, thanks mostly to MOTUC. She-Ra incorporated into the MYP toon would've been great though. Its a damn shame that show got cancelled just as it was really getting good.

My fave She-Ra was from her first series of mini comics, but I enjoy all incarnations of her that I can watch or read.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

I love LOVE Filmation, I spent hours on 2012 New Year's Eve watching it (I watched like 8 eps, he he), but I honestly would prefer a new cartoon with story and episodes like 200x, that looks like a mix between Filmation and the early mini comics.

For example, the Power Sword, Filmation, there is no better Power Sword, period.

He-man, overall mini comics, but without the six squares on the harness or the stupid knife.

Skeletor, first mini comic, his Havoc Staff, Filmation.

Battle Cat, all Filmation.

As for the voices...

To be honest, I don't like watch the Filmation cartoon in English too much, I prefer the 200x voices, and I mean, by far.

I always watch it in Spanish if I have a choice (SOTS has different voices altogether anyways, so I sometimes watch it in English).

I never saw 200x in Spanish, I don't know what the voices are like. I've had Directv since 2002, and for some channels you can choose between original audio, and Dubbed; and I mean original audio, when TNT showerd Crouching Tiger Hiiden Dragon, the audio was in Chinese.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    To me, He-man and She-ra are John Erwin and Melendy Britt voice acting the Filmation hand-drawn animation cells. The Sorceress is Linda Gary, and Skeletor is Alan Oppenheimer.

Once you take away John Erwin and Melendy Britt, and the Filmation vision of their characters, you don't have He-man and She-ra anymore.

Without the Filmation hand-drawn cell animation and music, oh my god you have to have the music, you don't have Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power. You lose the power.

My dream is that Mattel would buy the Filmation Library, and use the He-man and She-ra stock animation cells from the 80's to make more episodes and movies. Bring back Melendy Britt, John Erwin, and Alan Oppenheimer to reprise their roles. And find voice actors who can duplicate Linda Gary and George DiCenzo.

Also, bring back as many writers from the original shows as you can (eg. Bob Forward, Larry DiTillio, J. Michael Straczynski).

Hire back the musical composers of the original Filmation show. I love the guitar instrumental of the She-ra cartoon. It was so innovative, hip, and cool; it really stuck in my head.

Finally, bring back the original Filmation artists who drew He-man and She-ra, Castle Grayskull, the Sorceress, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Skeletor, Hordak, and the worlds of Eternia and Etheria the way they were always meant to be envisioned.
    This is exactly how I feel. Without Filmation, I would've still liked He-Man, but I wouldn't love it like I do.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..my version is pretty good.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation He-man and She-ra is the best drawn animation. That's what He-man, She-ra, Man-At-Arms, Orko, the Sorceress, Skeletor, and Hordak should look like.

People can't draw like they used to.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I can't believe I am about to say this...but I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

Especially in light of the new outfit they revealed for He-man in the new DC comic, I wish there were people with the courage to take these characters along with their designs and make something that feels more true to the character origins. Instead, the name of the game is to "change characters up', usually just for the sake of change.

I would love to see a more mature She-Ra cartoon where the character still was recognizable, both in appearance and and personality to the original. It doesn't have to be 100% the same, but I should be able to instantly know what I am seeing.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior
    I like the Filmation showcards and original musical compositions at the beginning of every episode; it really made the cartoon look classy, like a sophisticated production.

The Filmation animation, creative concept art and drawings, including the special effects during the He-man and She-ra transformation sequences, showed more imagination, depth, and innovative thinking than any cartoon ever before or since.

The Filmation writing and stories are head and shoulders above any kids cartoon of the past, present, and probably the future. They were so original, exploratory, cutting-edge, gut-wrenching, emotional, thought-provoking, entertaining, inspirational, etc.

The Filmation team of artists, musicians, writers, actors, and animators for the He-man and She-ra cartoons were the greatest compilation of talent and minds ever assembled, and never to be duplicated. What a shame. One moment in time.

I have to say that there is definitely something special about the two Filmation series. They definitely introduced me to the property, and when I was a kid, while the books, mini comics, coloring books, etc were find supplemental material, they weren't canon to me like the Filmation toon was. However, for me, I couldn't discount the NA and MYP toons as well as the other materials out there. It's all MOTU to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    More than anything else, I hate She-Ra's voice in the cartoon. It sounds so condescending and *****y. The music wasn't really great either "She Ra! She Ra!" But I have come to like the overall show in recent years, thanks mostly to MOTUC. She-Ra incorporated into the MYP toon would've been great though. Its a damn shame that show got cancelled just as it was really getting good.
    She sounds like she's trying to imitate a 50's male superhero.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

The Filmation shows did something for the brand, that's for sure. But it realistically can't be the end-all-be-all of the brand. If I've learned anything about a brand/franchise, you have to either learn to grow WITH it, or grow out of it.

If a Star Trek fan ONLY accepted William Shatner as James T. Kirk, then they could only watch the original series and the 6 films that feature him in the role. Anything after that is essentially fodder. Now maybe this is a good thing in the eyes of that particular fan. But I'm a Star Trek fan that LOVES all the shows and movies old and new. If I held onto to the Shatner/Nimoy only ideology, I'd miss out on ALL this other stuff. I've had to open my mind with Transformers, G.I. Joe and Thundercats too, some of the new stuff I don't like, some of it I love.

Someday, He-Man and She-Ra won't have their original voice actors available - should they then just be put on mothballs forever? Should we hold the standards of 1985 to the standards of 2013, or should we allow the brand to evolve with the times? Look at how many actors have portrayed Superman and Batman, James Bond and Dr. Who over the years. Change MUST occur and be expected/accepted if the characters are going to live on.

There's a lot about the Filmation shows I love as a 36 year old male. The music, the art and design, the voices are all great. There's a lot I don't like. Character development and story are sorely lacking, and I could go for a little more sophistication. Would I watch a show that mimics the stuff I like, but adds the stuff I want - you betcha. I'd love to see that happen with the Japanese Transformers shows - create a US story, bring in US voice actors and vintage music. But a contemporary Power Hour and a new vintage-based Transformer show of this nature is unfortunately unrealistic, and I have to put my bets on stuff that progresses the brands.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Heroic Warrior
    It's a Testament to Filmation that with 80's special effects technology they were able to create Transformation Sequences for He-man and She-ra that destroys the 90's and 200x products.

They were also able to use superior hand-drawing ability and cell animation to create more realistic renditions of characters than the 90's and 200x plastic, hollow computer-generated figures.

Widget

Meet me at Power-Con

Filmation He-man and She-ra is the best drawn animation. That's what He-man, She-ra, Man-At-Arms, Orko, the Sorceress, Skeletor, and Hordak should look like.

People can't draw like they used to.
    If you love the Filmation style or even if you don't... come and meet me at the Power-Con in Sept of 2013. My name is Tom Cook and I was an animator on all of the Filmation shows from the late 1970s until they closed the doors. I'll have a lot of items from that era for sale and if you want a personal drawing I will be taking orders which I will draw and ship to you after the Con... it will be a blast!!!! You can also order a drawing which I will do and bring to the Con for you so you don't have to wait. comicrecreations.com is my website so check it out.

Heroic Warrior
    I want the animators from the 80's He-man and She-ra cartoons to assemble and follow the same Filmation-style drawing and art concepts from the original shows to create more He-man and She-ra episodes. And complete the story that was started, but never finished.

Fulfill King Miro's promise to Adora that, "On the day of your battle with Hordak I want to stand by my granddaughter."

As well as She-ra's wish, "I live for the day when we'll all be together."
    And He-man's reply, "That day will come...."

I'd like to throw my hat into the Filmation ring too. To my mind, it's now the classic rendition of MOTU & POP cartoons. I much prefer it to current remakes.
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

I'm happy to see that there are people to who love Filmation, that's great. But, to me, it's nearly unwatchable. Even when I was a kid, when the show was coming on, I would gather up my MOTU toys, watch the intro (I HAVE THE POWER!) and then spend the rest of the episode playing with my toys. As an adult, I can put the show on as background noise when I'm washing dishes or something.

The animation is beautiful (if repetitive), the designs are great, and the music is great too (although HIGHLY repetitive - seriously, I can't watch too many episodes in a row before it really starts grating) but the story lines are insanely stupid. And, the worst thing is, they have soooo many great MOTU characters to draw on for story lines, but instead they insist on making up one-off characters for episodes. Some of the episodes seem like they got a deal on cheap Soviet children's animated fairy tales animation cells, and filled in the blanks with MOTU characters.

To me, there hasn't been a definitive MOTU animated series. Hopefully, they can leverage the MOTUC property into a professionally made web series for adults. The 200X series is the best we've gotten so far. Some of the story lines are legit good, the animation is beautiful, the continuity between episodes is glorious, we get to see our favorite characters doing awesome stuff, etc. It's nowhere near perfect, but much more watchable than Filmation.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    I'm happy to see that there are people to who love Filmation, that's great. But, to me, it's nearly unwatchable. Even when I was a kid, when the show was coming on, I would gather up my MOTU toys, watch the intro (I HAVE THE POWER!) and then spend the rest of the episode playing with my toys. As an adult, I can put the show on as background noise when I'm washing dishes or something.

The animation is beautiful (if repetitive), the designs are great, and the music is great too (although HIGHLY repetitive - seriously, I can't watch too many episodes in a row before it really starts grating) but the story lines are insanely stupid. And, the worst thing is, they have soooo many great MOTU characters to draw on for story lines, but instead they insist on making up one-off characters for episodes. Some of the episodes seem like they got a deal on cheap Soviet children's animated fairy tales animation cells, and filled in the blanks with MOTU characters.

To me, there hasn't been a definitive MOTU animated series. Hopefully, they can leverage the MOTUC property into a professionally made web series for adults. The 200X series is the best we've gotten so far. Some of the story lines are legit good, the animation is beautiful, the continuity between episodes is glorious, we get to see our favorite characters doing awesome stuff, etc. It's nowhere near perfect, but much more watchable than Filmation.
    I'd love MYP-style story telling combined with Filmation-style art.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topcat77 View Post
    If you love the Filmation style or even if you don't... come and meet me at the Power-Con in Sept of 2013. My name is Tom Cook and I was an animator on all of the Filmation shows from the late 1970s until they closed the doors. I'll have a lot of items from that era for sale and if you want a personal drawing I will be taking orders which I will draw and ship to you after the Con... it will be a blast!!!! You can also order a drawing which I will do and bring to the Con for you so you don't have to wait. comicrecreations.com is my website so check it out.
    Awesomeness.

What are you good at drawing? What do you like drawing?

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I do like this idea.

Not only would it increase the He-Man and She-Ra Filmation media out there, it could increase the number of fans if new shows are produced and tweaked to give a more modern feel or meet modern expectations. The writers might also be interested as it would allow them to complete any unfinished MOTU and POP Filmation projects that they have. They might however not be available to work full-time on any new media due to existing work commitments, but it might be feasible for them to work on a one off cartoon TV movie or special edition ‘Filmation He-Man’ and ‘Filmation She-Ra’ comics. These could be based on any unused concepts or stories that were either dropped or not possible to do at the time. Of these my favourite would be the She-Ra story "The Silaxian Wars".
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Filmnation has a definite charm and John Erwin I think is the best voice of He-Man but that said, time marches on and sometimes things need to be move on with it or fall behind and become forgotten.

Heroic Warrior
    The He-man and She-ra Filmation cartoons of the 80's just seemed better than the New Adventures He-man of the 90's and the MYP He-man of 200x. The way the figures and settings were drawn were just more beautiful and real. It just captured more of my imagination and inspiration.
    Last edited by dura_grip; August 10, 2013 at 09:07pm.