Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 107 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 107 Discussion!

Episode 107 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss
    Dan's knee,
    John Waters,
    Eamon's covers,
    Comic Book Men,
    Hostess,
    TMNT figures,
    black plastic,
    Frosta's gray,
    Grayskull discount mistakes,
    MOTU check lists,
    cancellation of ThunderCats,
    GI Joe,
    Power Rangers,
    He-Man comic,
    MOTU movie line-up,
    Dare and the Son of He-Man,
    Back to the Future hoverboard,
    Ghostbusters,
    Voltron,
    Watchmen,
    Dan's playset holy grails,
    Battle Loo-Kee,
    Danielle's top Power-Con guest,
    hand-animated cartoons
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 54 minutes, 14 seconds

Direct link for Episode 107

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Yay! More Roast Gooble! Just in time for my New Years! AWESOME!!!

Good show.

The DC comics are okay, talking about the retail issues. I'm not sure using the Once Upon A Time template is the best idea to get back on the comic shelves since there's no He-Man to show up yet. The one shot online exclusives have been extremely interesting however, especially the She-Ra, Randor, and Orko issues. There's some real potential in those stories if they were to expand.

The Cartoon Network is the killer of great shows. Long standing champion in fact.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Danielle is my favourite host

Finally another late podcast, at least it was something to listen to.
    A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

No offense to the crew, and I know we are in between new stuff or new media, but there wasnt a whole lot of MOTU discussion versus other properties on this episode. The tangents can be fun but shouldnt take over the majority. I guess I just like intelligent talk on the different aspects of the lore. Anything else loses my interest fairly quickly.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Yay! Thanks for the shout out, Danielle! So great to hear more Gooble, I was famished!
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I must say, Eamon manages to put a big a smile on my face all the time, this dude knows how to entertain period.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    Yay! More Roast Gooble! Just in time for my New Years! AWESOME!!!
    Thank ye sir! That's how I spent part of my New Years too: editing a podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    The Cartoon Network is the killer of great shows. Long standing champion in fact.
    Is it really that bad? I haven't had cable TV since early 2006 so I'm not familiar with how they handle things.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Yay! Thanks for the shout out, Danielle! So great to hear more Gooble, I was famished!
    For the record, all mighty logo master, what is THE correct way to pronounce your username?

Thanks for the new episode, I could stay for the desert if there is more to come soon

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    For the record, all mighty logo master, what is THE correct way to pronounce your username?
    I pronounce it with a soft G like in Mel Gibson. So Gib-BAG-ock.

But if GEE-bah-gok is easier to pronounce that's fine too.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Any time you guys pimp the Hottoycast, it's an awesome episode.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Another fun episode!! Thanks gooble crew

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    Danielle is my favourite host
    Well, this proves there's no accounting for taste.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Yay! Thanks for the shout out, Danielle!
    My pleasure! We talk about one of your bios in an upcoming one too. For anyone who hasn't read The Book of Evil Part II: The Bells of Doom yet, check it out. You won't regret it: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-Bells-of-Doom
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

great show guys!

loved the ghostbusters discussion - i agree, the variants just killed that line ... i was a club ecto-1 subscriber, and its such a shame how this line has kind of just faded away now ... my collection feels incomplete as we didn't get janine, janosz and a few other cool characters from the movie like the mayor and gozer ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Snappy Threader
    Great gooble once again......

Chewer of Trollans
    I meet a lot of collectors, and it seems like everyone is a completist according to what that means in their own mind. When they realize they can't complete the collection, a lot of times it seems like they choose to walk away altogether rather than leave a hole in what, to their mind, would be a perfect collection. This is why people who stop collecting sell their whole collection right away--choosing to abandon it rather then leave that hole.
    I mean to say, I'm willing to bet some cherry-pickers left altogether when Shadow Weaver was announced. I hope a figure like that isn't the exclusive again.

Australian MOTU Fanatic! Aussie Stinkor's Avatar
    Thanks to the crew for reading my email. We certainly live in interesting times for capturing fans and maintaining media interest in entertainment.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I'm loving the movie talk in this one guys!

My two cents on it, if anyone cares... Feel free to take or leave it, but hearing you guys got me thinkin'...

I kind of feel like Adam absolutely is the way to connect with general audiences.
    I know I'm not a big fan of Adam at all, but I do recognize his importance to the core of the MotU mythos, and accept that he's with us all the way. Plus there are aspects to Adam that I can get behind when he's handled correctly.

I think there could be a lot to work with, if we take the "Shazam" approach that MYP took, but take it a little further. Make a bigger contrast even between he and He-Man. For instance, let's see the movie through Adam's eyes, let's make him VERY relatable and very human. A prince of a son that is just doing what he can to please his royal parents and heritage... But give him all the weaknesses that we all can relate to and that we struggle with in our own lives. Maybe this go around he's not so much aloof, but just an average kid. He's not perfect, he's not the princley image he should be, so he struggles with that, he struggles with girls, with physical activities and sports and fighting and such. He's expected to be amazing at all of that because of his office, but he just falls short, as any of us probably would.

Here's where it gets fun... I wouldn't mind switching up some of the old story at this point and say, maybe Skeletor doesn't know who Adam and Adora are, but Hordak did! (And does) And that's why he's stolen Adora, that's why he's corrupted her, and he'd love to get his hands on Adam too, but perhaps his master plan has always been let the boy fail as he grows, maybe Hordak saw this already in Adam, and so maybe Hordak WANTS Adam to get the Power Sword, so that the change to He-Man could possibly be Adam's own distruction?
    If we think through the drama Adam in this kind of setting would go through as he gets the sword and becomes everything he wishes he could be, that could possibly paint a much more interesting and compelling story? We can see how Adam handles the power, we're curious as an audience as to what kind of man will Adam be? Maybe his first few tasks as He-Man are utter failures because of his young pride? All the while Hordak is playing puppet master behind the scenes with Skeletor and his cronies to give He-Man the fodder to fail? That also sets up an amazing battle between Skeletor and Hordak, the betrayal there, the ploys for power!
    The real heroism in He-Man now is how will he Master himself? How will he change from using his powers for himself, to using his powers for the benefit and building of others?

Like I said, this isn't necessarily how I see the MotU mythos? (Hmmm, but maybe it is?) And I don't know that I articulated my ideas well enough here... But I could see the potential, and the things they could play with within the MotU mythos that really could hit home with a general movie audience.

Or maybe my idea here is bonk and really should be best ignored!

And maybe that's the problem I've always had with Adam, I have never felt I could relate with him. In filmation, he's a polished Prince that is spoiled on life in some regards, or worse, he's kind of always He-Man just playing the fool. Ala Clark Kent to Superman.
    And in MYP, again, he's brash, arrogant, a teen with everything at his disposal and he knows it. And sure that is a contrast to He-Man's character, but I didn't relate to him at all.
    The above is an Adam I think I could relate to, maybe I projected myself a bit onto him in this description, but I think it's a little more human, and something more people would be able to relate to overall?
    Last edited by Baena; January 4, 2013 at 11:29am.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

The Suck Cut. Its sucks as it cuts!

It certainly does suck!

Can't believe you guys didn't get this, I wont leave ya hanging Eamon

And yeah gbagok and Iceman's The Book of Evil Part II: The Bells of Doom is amazing. Anybody who hasn't should check it out and their previous stories.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26