Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-holiday blues?

Post-holiday blues?

Post-holiday blues?

First of all, yes I know we still have New Year to go, but this is really bugging me.

I've had this really strange, kind-of-sad feeling since Christmas Day.

I really look forward to Christmas every year. I'm not religious, but the other aspects really appeal to me - the lights, the music, looking round the shops in the run-up to Christmas (quite something for a 32-year-old British man to admit!), the whole atmosphere fills me with joy. I even like the TV ads!

I almost enjoy the build-up more than the event itself.

This year was different because my partner and I moved into our new home only on December 3 - so Christmas preparations were, to say the least, a mad rush. It's been a really stressful time (in a good, buying-a-new-house way, I suppose!) and Christmas shopping really took a backseat to moving house.

We had a lot of stuff to buy and, of course, the shops were filled with Christmas cheer. I played my Christmas music in the car during the shopping trips, and we finally had everything where we wanted it in the house. We also picked up some decorations, which I'll be sorry to take down.

So we only really got to Christmas-specific shopping a few days before. Luckily we knew what we wanted and where to get it, and we did presents last Saturday morning and food on Saturday afternoon.

Christmas Day itself was idyllic - presents in the morning for myself, my girlfriend and my stepdaughter (kind of special as I've bought us all the new house, the two of them were in a rented association property before), then a relative came round and joined us for a fantastic dinner. I also enjoyed the night - or so I'm told, I've not been drinking much lately so by the time I sat down for evening TV I was ready to crash out, I have no drink tolerance at the moment!

The next day, more family came round, we put on a buffet, my oldest schoolfriend came to visit for the night, and we had some beers. From Thursday 27th I started working four night shifts (just in the middle of my last one - it's quiet as I'm sure you can tell ).

Anyway, sorry to rant on, but every year without fail, after Christmas Day is over, for some reason I can't listen to Christmas music, watch Christmas movies, and feel very down. It's like someone flicks a switch and puts me into "holiday blues" mode.

It's really not a nice feeling. It's like I want all the decorations gone, but at the same time I'm totally dreading the act of taking them down after New Year.

I don't know if it's nostalgia for Christmases past or just that I've enjoyed myself and am sorry it's over. A really strange, hard-to-describe feeling.

Sorry for the rant guys.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and wish you a happy, prosperous New Year for 2013.

Back to work, it'll stop my mind wandering…

Chris

I have the opposite problem - holiday blues. I will feel much better when the holidays are over. I am tired of having santa claus shoved down my thoat by commercial interests.

It does not speak well of our society's educational level that we are spending 2 months out of every year talking so much about a make believe guy who comes down a chimney in a society where few people have chimney's anymore. The whole thing depresses me greatly, as well as the severe winter weather (which is no picnic).

You and I are not exactly kindred spirits
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

My long-term gf broke up with me six days before X-mas. It has sucked, royally. You have it good comparatively.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    My long-term gf broke up with me six days before X-mas. It has sucked, royally. You have it good comparatively.
    So sorry to hear that mate. Sincerely wish you the best for the future.

you ever see that Fairly Oddparents episode where Timmy wishes everyday was Christmas?.......yeah, probably not a good idea. However, I'm kinda sad to see Christmas go as well. And Phil.....Santa rocks! That's what makes Christmas magical cause honestly for me anyway it's about the kids. The joy in my son's eyes on Christmas morning is priceless. Wish I could bottle the stuff. I'm actually dreading when he stops believing in magic.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    you ever see that Fairly Oddparents episode where Timmy wishes everyday was Christmas?.......yeah, probably not a good idea. However, I'm kinda sad to see Christmas go as well. And Phil.....Santa rocks! That's what makes Christmas magical cause honestly for me anyway it's about the kids. The joy in my son's eyes on Christmas morning is priceless. Wish I could bottle the stuff. I'm actually dreading when he stops believing in magic.

I'm not against Santa, I just don't see why it needs to be a 2-month thing.

Also, with reguards to commercial interests, a lot of these Santa commercials are from car companies. A new Audi is not exactly something you would buy for your 4 year old now is it? The whole thing has become very contrived. It makes me sick.

Master of New Adventures!
    I know this feeling oh-so-very-well.

In many ways I'm a very traditional kind of guy. With a thirteen, ten and four-year old and an Irish-angel-of-a-wife, I go all out for Christmas. We have tons of traditions -- going for the tree the day after Thanksgiving, decorating all three floors of our ninety-year old home to the absolute max, nine wreaths, tons of glittering lights, candles in every single window, always intentionally waiting until the last week before Christmas to do all of our shopping and then doing it in a giddy, chaotic, laugh-filled rush, and, of course, non-stop Christmas music for five weeks.

On Christmas eve we all go to Mass and then we have a wonderful older couple that always visits as Mr. & Mrs. Santa so our youngest can spy on them in the dim light. Christmas day I won't describe except to say it's amazing. My Kim knows how to do Christmas well.

Then, five days later, we de-Christmas the house. It's always difficult for me to take the decorations down and box them up for a year. I reflect on how my thirteen year-old was five years old just a year ago it seems. Time goes by so quickly. As I pack things away in the basement I always feel the same distinct pang of sadness in my gut, knowing Christmas is over. Just four more years with my Alex and then he's off to college. Sigh...

My hope, when I move on to another plain of existence in another forty years (that'll put me at 103, which many longevity calculation programs have put me at ) , is that I'll land in a place where it's Christmas Eve and Christmas Day every night and day. I'd be very happy for that. Being Santa and living at the North Pole would come in a close second.

The days after Christmas are, in my opinion, the perfect definition of the word 'bittersweet' and so these apparently contradictory icons seem somehow appropriate:
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 30, 2012 at 08:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I know this feeling oh-so-very-well.
    Genuinely moved to hear someone say that, Jack!

It's the first time I've shared this feeling - I train in Keysi/MMA, which basically means my hobby is getting punched, I like drinking whiskey and watching Saw films... but now I feel a weight has been lifted

The days after Christmas are, in my opinion, the perfect definition of the word 'bittersweet' and so these apparently contrdictory icons seem somehow appropriate:
    Bittersweet - you nailed it there, Jack, that's why it feels so strange. Best to your family for the New Year. I will be spending mine learning to live with two women and a dog.

I don’t think it’s unusual at all. I think people like the build-up to events more than the actual event itself. Everyone I’ve ever spoken to about the subject says that when they were a kid they used to prefer Christmas Eve to Christmas Day because of the excitement.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I love Christmas, and usually really get into the spirit when the 25th finally hits (everything is out of the way, you can enjoy Christmas for being Christmas). But some folks hate the season, and are happy when it's over. I get a little sad after the 25th when everyone just wants to move onto the next thing. Don't forget the 12 days

I'm not a big shopper, but I find it silly, sad, and humorous that some stores start playing normal music on the 26th, and already have the Valentine's, St Patrick's Day, and Easter stuff out! I personally believe we need a time of year to rest, relax, and get out of our normal routine. I am lucky that I have a job I can take off this time of the year, and always try to take at least a week this time of year.

If someone doesn't like Christmas for religious or personal reasons (dislike of the commercialization), I respect that. But I hope we can all take some time during the year to reflect and realize what's really important - family, friends, and also yourself. Christmas and the whole season should be that. Keep it positive, and carry it throughout the year.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I totally understand. I LOVE the holiday season...the shopping, the music, the lights, the decorations, the food...well, EVERYTHING. And when it is all over I am even more sad than usual. Wish the whole year was as magical as the Christmas season
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

There are many that are on this same page, yet won't admit it for one reason or another. Many men, I think, feel it shows weakness whereas I feel it shows sensitivity and depth of spirit. I'm happy to have shared it.

Interesting that you're an MMA enthusiast and practitoner as my latest screenplay, THE PIT, deals with precisely that subject in -- at the risk of sounding a bit immodest -- a most compelling manner. MMA is a genre that I feel is vastly underserved by the entertainment industry and I'm hoping my project can capitalize upon that, and in a positive and inspirational way.

Have a wonderful New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophalophalos View Post
    Genuinely moved to hear someone say that, Jack!

It's the first time I've shared this feeling - I train in Keysi/MMA, which basically means my hobby is getting punched, I like drinking whiskey and watching Saw films... but now I feel a weight has been lifted

Bittersweet - you nailed it there, Jack, that's why it feels so strange. Best to your family for the New Year. I will be spending mine learning to live with two women and a dog.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 30, 2012 at 10:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that

Frankly, I'm glad the holidays are over. This means more money in my pocket for me to pay bills and to put towards a house. I love x mas eve and would love i tmore if we didnt exchange gifts. I hate that we are force fed x mas before Halloween is over.

I'm ready for Easter. Now, that is a Holiday I enjoy because it means Spring is right around the corner!!!! And finally the winter will be gone. And so far the winter has sucked.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Interesting that you're an MMA enthusiast and practitoner as my latest screenplay, THE PIT, deals with precisely that subject in -- at the risk of sounding a bit immodest -- a most compelling manner. MMA is a genre that I feel is vastly underserved by the entertainment industry and I'm hoping my project can capitalize upon that, and in a positive and inspirational way.
    Wow Jack that sounds great, I'll keep it in mind - loved Warrior a couple of years ago. In Keysi we train more for the street than the cage, although there's a "toned-down" version developed specifically for the sport side. The founder of our style, recently rebranded from Keysi to Defence Lab, Andy Norman, trained Tom Cruise for his new movie Jack Reacher. He's a good guy from Hull, my local town.

Apologies for digressing in my own thread.

Glad to know I'm not the only holiday bluester. If that's a word.

Strange how it imprints itself on you - I don't even like to see christmas-themed TV ads which are still showing. And the TV stations keep repeating their festive shows all week. Just a reminder .Feels silly sometimes.

Thanks for sharing everyone. Keep 'em coming, don't be shy.
    Last edited by Christophalophalos; December 30, 2012 at 10:54pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that
    I loved her so much. I never saw it coming. She did it, then blocked all communication with me, leaving me heartbroken and not totally understanding why. She gave me reason(s), but not all. I'd love to know why - all the reasons, but she blocked me. I did nothing wrong. But I move forward. I can't mope or let something that is beyond my control ruin me. I already went out with someone else. Though, I still think of her daily, sometimes hourly.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Snappy Threader
    I love the holiday saeson for many reasons, people tend to be more polite and helpful, the music, the shopping, seeing the youngsters excited.......I don't let the real reason for the season go either.....it is kind of depressing when it's over and people go back to their sometimes hateful ways.

This is the first Christmas that I didn't enjoy. Normally I love the TV ads, decorations, lights, smell of baking the whole nine yards. I have 3 trees that go up every year (I had 4) the house gets warm with the light of the decoration and the smell of cookies in the oven. I look forward to watching my favorite Christmas specials while drinking cocoa, and I love giftwrapping! I usually put the trees up in November and take them down before New Years. I like to start the new year with a clean house. Some people think I'm crazy, but that's just me.

This year was different. We moved into our first house, and decided to host Christmas here. My mother and my relationship has been strained since March, but I invited the rest of my family for dinner. About a week before Christmas they cancelled. Mom was making turkey and they were all going to her house instead. Nice family huh? My in-laws were still coming, but now I have a 25 pound turkey for 10 people. I could have saved a lot of money on food had I known sooner.

Four days before Christmas my hot water tank exploded at 2am, flooding my basement. It's still in shambles as the contractor can't do anything until the new year. Christmas day I got up at 5am to put the turkey in and I spent the entire day exhausted, and slaving over a hot stove. The family didn't arrive until 3pm so we basically played the waiting game until they arrived. We did gifts, exchanged pleasantries and had fun until dinner. I told my husband 3 times to carve the turkey before he actually did it, so by the time we were ready to eat the rest of the food was luke warm. I was not impressed. I was also unimpressed that the entire family waited until I had the dishes almost done before offering to help me. I did everything myself.

It doesn't help that everyone is depending on my to have children, as I'm next in line. We've put it off for a variety of reasons, and are aiming for next year. I've been really depressed about it lately, as I'm getting older and I've known I was meant to be a mother since I was in my early twenties. I know I have time, but Christmas is so much fun with kids! To see their faces light up Christmas morning is priceless. It's a simple joy that I look forward to experiencing.

With the move, the host of problems we've experienced being homeowners, and life itself as busy as it is I wasn't as organized as I usually am this year. I got my shopping done by mid October as per usual, but I didn't get my baking started on time. There were several days I was up to 2am finishing my cookies and it was almost overwhelming. It's not something I can just not do, as I bake instead of shop for several people.

I apologize for the rant, but Christmas wasn't nearly as magical for me this year as it usually is. The highlight for me was helping one of Santa's elves pick out a back support for him. I work in a mall if that makes more sense.

Well said Jack. Spare a thought for us folk down in the southern hemisphere who enjoy the Christmas period during the middle of summer!

Hey guys,

First of all, so sorry to hear of people's genuine traumas/problems over the holiday period.

In comparison, my post-xmas "woes" are of little significance.

Anway for what it's worth, I finally took the decs down yesterday. Felt pretty good afterwards too, like ripping off a band-aid.

House looks bare (nice and clean though!) but it's time for looking forward to the new year rather than back to a fun festive season.

Happy new year everyone, and if you have had problems, I really hope 2013 is better for you.

Chris
    Last edited by Christophalophalos; January 4, 2013 at 12:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    It does not speak well of our society's educational level that we are spending 2 months out of every year talking so much about a make believe guy who comes down a chimney in a society where few people have chimney's anymore. The whole thing depresses me greatly, as well as the severe winter weather (which is no picnic).
    I would say that this is the one time of year when people tend to think of others over themselves so maybe make believe isn't such a bad thing?

Last year was my least favorite x-mas but only because my kids were finally old enough to know that I'm santa. Now I'm 35 and can't wait to have grandkids so I can experience the fun and magic with them again

Thanks, Viceroy.

Listen, I'm a Christmas fanatic. Love everything about it. In fact, a few years ago I put forth the idea of celebratng Halfmas on June 25th -- halfway to Christmas! Actually, that would work for all you folks in Oz with that being the heart of your wintertime. I suggested we all buy and decorate half a tree, sing Happy Halfmas songs -- "It's beginning to look a lot like Halfmas...", "Iiiiiii'm dreaming of a white Halfmas..." -- mail each other Halfmas cards and eat half a turkey or half a ham for Halfmas dinner. I'm sure both stores and kids would love the idea.

Regrettably, Halfmas never caught on, but now that you've reminded me that our summer is your winter in Australia, I just might start spending the month of June down under...provided you can guarantee snow. Happy Halfmas, in advance!

And btw to my good friend Phil, I love pretending for two months each year about a make-believe guy coming down a chimney, just as I love the idea of a little fairy coming to replace my daughter's lost tooth with a five dollar bill and an oversized bunny delivering colored eggs and candy once a year. Then again, I've spent my life blissfully adding to the world of make-believe, writing, producing and directing over 1,200 episodes of television and eighteen films and hopefully bringing a few smiles to children and even adults. Yeah, I know it's not the real world...and that's precisely why I love it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    Well said Jack. Spare a thought for us folk down in the southern hemisphere who enjoy the Christmas period during the middle of summer!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 4, 2013 at 12:24pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I would say that this is the one time of year when people tend to think of others over themselves so maybe make believe isn't such a bad thing?

Last year was my least favorite x-mas but only because my kids were finally old enough to know that I'm santa. Now I'm 35 and can't wait to have grandkids so I can experience the fun and magic with them again

Nah, this was a tough Christmas for my family. My mom passed in September and it wasn't the same without her. I'm just glad it's over.

Next stop: warmer weather

From someone that has been through that most difficult passage with two beloved parents, my thoughts and prayers are with you. The first holiday season is always the most difficult.

Even today, ten years after my mother passed, I still occasionally find myself reaching for the phone to call her when something great happens in my life. One never completely heals, but in the expanse of time the pain gradually recedes and is overwhelmed and somewhat conquered by the good memories.

I wish you the best, Phil, and I wish you that warm weather to soothe your spirit.

Nah, this was a tough Christmas for my family. My mom passed in September and it wasn't the same without her. I'm just glad it's over.

Thanks, Jack. I appreciate that.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar

Phil...Holidays are always hard when you have lost loved ones. I lost my mom a few years ago and their isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her in some way, much less a major holiday. Time does help heal all wounds, but it doesn't mean you won't always have a scar. Hang in there and know you are not alone.

I love pretending for two months each year about a make-believe guy coming down a chimney, just as I love the idea of a little fairy coming to replace my daughter's lost tooth with a five dollar bill and an oversized bunny delivering colored eggs and candy once a year. Then again, I've spent my life blissfully adding to the world of make-believe, writing, producing and directing over 1,200 episodes of television and eighteen films and hopefully bringing a few smiles to children and even adults. Yeah, I know it's not the real world...and that's precisely why I love it so.
    Me too! That is my favorite part of the season...pretending. It is a time when we can step back from the stress, hurt, and let-down's of the real world and enjoy the magic of the season.

Glad to know someone loves Christmas as much as me. I listen to Christmas music, watch Christmas movies, and buy gifts for others ALL YEAR LONG, etc. My wife and I say that when we win the lottery we are going to buy a bigger house and have a Christmas room that stays decorated all year long
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!