Thread: How to switch Frosta's reversed arms video Tutorial by Hunter Knight Customs

How to switch Frosta's reversed arms video Tutorial by Hunter Knight Customs

Hello guys, took me all day but as promised in my Facebook page, here is the Tutorial video on how to swap Frosta's arms. Nothing to it, and thesame can be applied to any figure. Hope you guys enjoy it and let me know if you have any more questions:

Great Tutorial. I also did this, with a hair dryer. It's the fastest cleanest way. I find I only use the hair dryer in about half the time you do, the plastic gets pretty soft, pretty fast.

Also, I didn't need a screwdriver or sculpting tool to put the elbow pins back in. I heated the forearm piece, and stretched the loop hole to almost double it's length, and with my thumb or finger securing the back of the pin, I stretched the loop over the head of the pin. Went on quickly without a problem. I use this method as it removes the risk of cutting the plastic with the screwdriver or tool while soft. There is a risk of stretching too far perhaps? But I've yet to break one that way. And by keeping the plastic hot with the hair dryer, I've yet to have any issues of the stretched hole staying stretched too far. With heat it returns back to it's molded size.

Great work HunterK!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Great Tutorial. I also did this, with a hair dryer. It's the fastest cleanest way. I find I only use the hair dryer in about half the time you do, the plastic gets pretty soft, pretty fast.

Also, I didn't need a screwdriver or sculpting tool to put the elbow pins back in. I heated the forearm piece, and stretched the loop hole to almost double it's length, and with my thumb or finger securing the back of the pin, I stretched the loop over the head of the pin. Went on quickly without a problem. I use this method as it removes the risk of cutting the plastic with the screwdriver or tool while soft. There is a risk of stretching too far perhaps? But I've yet to break one that way. And by keeping the plastic hot with the hair dryer, I've yet to have any issues of the stretched hole staying stretched too far. With heat it returns back to it's molded size.

Great work HunterK!
    Thanks my friend, that's the idea. This tutorial is just a way of doing it so you can then mod it in your own way. Thanks for watching!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    nice tutorial: thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    nice tutorial: thanks for sharing.
    You are welcome, glad to be of help!

Well i must be an idiot, because there is nothing i can do to get the elbows back onto the arms. One of the pins even came out of both sides of of one of the arms, and that alone is giving me hell getting to FULLY back in... it's just too soft and i cant get enough pressure to get it all the way back thru. I'm seriously considering ordering a new Frost and never trying this again....

UPDATE: finally got it all reassembled! I think the problem was that the plastic was too soft, and once i let it get slightly firmer, it was honestly easier to force back into place.... not sure I wanna rush to try this sort of project again... but I have no doubt the custom bug will hit me again. Maybe it's easier with the male characters due to more leverage with the larger parts.

Regardless, AWESOME video, and couldn't have done it without you
    Last edited by roykop; October 26, 2012 at 01:54am.
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

Thank you so much mate, I will be trying this when my Frosta arrives
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Thank you for this video Hunter! Nice to finally see the man behind so many awesome customs Thing is, seeing you try to pop the arm back on at the elbow made me really, really nervous. The plastic can totally get damaged by the screwdriver, right? I'm too nervous about such things.

At least now, if I ever do decide to risk trying such an experiment, I have this video as a guide! Great work.

Also? The dialogue parts were extremely "Kill Me!" and the video of Frosta chasing He-Man - too cute!

Quote Originally Posted by roykop View Post
    Well i must be an idiot, because there is nothing i can do to get the elbows back onto the arms. One of the pins even came out of both sides of of one of the arms, and that alone is giving me hell getting to FULLY back in... it's just too soft and i cant get enough pressure to get it all the way back thru. I'm seriously considering ordering a new Frost and never trying this again....

UPDATE: finally got it all reassembled! I think the problem was that the plastic was too soft, and once i let it get slightly firmer, it was honestly easier to force back into place.... not sure I wanna rush to try this sort of project again... but I have no doubt the custom bug will hit me again. Maybe it's easier with the male characters due to more leverage with the larger parts.

Regardless, AWESOME video, and couldn't have done it without you
    Glad to be of help my friend, and trust me when you do it once...you will do it twice...then is on you will be swapping parts like nothing in no time =)

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Thank you so much mate, I will be trying this when my Frosta arrives
    That's the spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Thank you for this video Hunter! Nice to finally see the man behind so many awesome customs Thing is, seeing you try to pop the arm back on at the elbow made me really, really nervous. The plastic can totally get damaged by the screwdriver, right? I'm too nervous about such things.

At least now, if I ever do decide to risk trying such an experiment, I have this video as a guide! Great work.

Also? The dialogue parts were extremely "Kill Me!" and the video of Frosta chasing He-Man - too cute!
    You can use any other tools, truth is, that is so soft you don't even need the tools to pop it. The plastic goes back into shape once ot cools. I always like to put some humor on the vids. Tutorials can get really boring sometimes. Glad you liked them! =)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I really need help here.

The entire elbow peg came out of one of Frosta's arms and no matter what I try, I can't get it back in! I tried putting it in the elbow hole and getting the forearm over the peg, or just trying to get one peg through a hole (and then doing the fix as shown in the video), but I can't get either option to work out!

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the entire elbow peg back in? I know people have done this in the past. I'm not a fan of my one armed Frosta right now.

EDIT:

YEEEEESSSSS!!! I got it. Third day of trying.

For anyone having issues with the FULL peg coming out and not being able to get it back in, here's what I did:

1) Heat up both "elbow holes" on Frosta's forearm for about 3 minutes (heating all around the end that attaches to the elbow). Don't stay in one spot for a really long time. You don't want it to melt. Note: Make sure you have the arm peg in Frosta's elbow piece.

2) Hold the peg in place as you force the forearm over BOTH sides of the peg (this proves difficult unless the forearm's plastic is super soft).

3) Line up the peg with the holes in the forearm. Mine always liked staying diagonal, which was a problem.

4) Once lined up, squeeze her forearm with your fingers, pinching it together. For me, this achieved getting ONE side of the peg back through the hole.

5) I heated up the other side of the arm again for 2-3 minutes and squeezed it on.

BOOM! Fixed Frosta.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 1, 2013 at 07:57pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    yep, fixed her up when I first got her.
    this is a helpful video for those that want to fix issues like that themselves.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man