Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Is This For Real? MOTUC appearing at Wal-Mart... [No b/s/t Outside Marketplace]

I live about 30 min from this Moreno Valley Walmart. I was working in the area today and stopped by, Gygor is still on the endcap.

TB-1089
    Inland Empire Squad Leader
    Southern California Garrison
    501st Legion

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Maybe it was BBTS?
    They had Gygor on Clearance for months...
    BBTS is based in Wisconsin. They wouldn't sell to a Wal Mart in California
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Hah that's awesome. Now what are the haters going to flip out over...

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    It is...

Unless someone knows someone.

Bottom line "that I can confirm" means I know and cant say.
    He was just confirming that it is definitely not through Mattel. You're reading way too much into it.

??

Chill out its a joke.

Best advice to follow is your own i.e. dont read into what people are saying.

;-)

lol

I wonder if it would help Mattel with retail, if we all called that Walmart requesting a Roboto and or Gygor to be shipped to our local ones, would Walmart see there is some type of demand and ask Mattel for more product?

Only the Gygors are left...

Its looks about 30 or so left.

They sold a good bit of Robotos in 7 days. But that could have been 3 people. lol Poor Gygor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Only the Gygors are left...

Its looks about 30 or so left.

They sold a good bit of Robotos in 7 days. But that could have been 3 people. lol Poor Gygor.
    I agree.....and I'm very suprised he's still there at that price!

Me too....but i guess kids are like...what is this!?

I don't believe that this has been mentioned, but I'll put an end to the speculation that this is from *some one's* subscription as the proof is simply in the photo...

All of the Gygors seen are "re-issues." That said, I'll bet my sour patch kids not a SINGLE person received a "re-issue" Gygor via sub.

People can reply otherwise if you happened to get one in your sub., but again I don't remember even ONE report of some one getting a "re-issued" Gygor via the sub. as they didn't appear till WAY after.....

Some thing's going on, especially since they just *happen* to only be in CA which makes it even more fishy....You be the judge.

I'm sorry, but the whole no Mattel involvement what so ever doesn't add up. Perhaps not directly, but involved meaning they sold this stuff to *some one* at *some point.*

What I think happened was that they were sold off much like the 12" Supermen, etc. in a giant fire sale.

Again, perhaps not directly to Walmart, but to another vendor as a giant lot of merchandise and simply dispersed from there falling in to Walmart's hands.

This kind of stuff happens all the time where merchandise is bought super cheap as a single lot and then broken up and sold in various venues.

If you've ever walked in to one of these clearance stores like a Big Lots or some thing they often operate under the same premise to where your asking yourself what the heck is that doing here...

^^
    I agree

Roboto is selling for around 20 on eBay and other sites. No way a collector would take that big of a hit on them. If Walmart was selling them for $19, they would have purchased them for less then $15.

J

Heroic Warrior
    lol let it go already!

I love stories like this. The older they get, the more mysterious they are

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I'm not a retail expert, but I wasn't aware that an individual Walmart store could go out and buy something to sell. It has to be in the system to sell it; I know they can add stuff in (I've seen them do it), but I'm really not seeing how this is possible if the merchandise didn't come from Mattel or one of Walmart's regular vendors. Something screwy here...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by goldschool View Post
    I love stories like this. The older they get, the more mysterious they are

I know, right? It really is strange and interesting. So Scott claims Mattel didn't do it. What other options are available? I'm not sure how Wal-mart's buying system is set up but it seems rather odd for one Walmart to somehow buy such a small allotment of product. I know that many Walmarts do carry product from local high school sports teams, so perhaps there is some room for individual purchasing on a small level.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron View Post
    I live about 30 min from this Moreno Valley Walmart. I was working in the area today and stopped by, Gygor is still on the endcap.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ps1a600337.jpg
    Any chance you can ask the store manager as to how they obtained those Gygor and Roboto figures?

This makes me so angry. I need to know how these Gygors really appeared at Wal-Mart!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I'm not a retail expert, but I wasn't aware that an individual Walmart store could go out and buy something to sell. It has to be in the system to sell it; I know they can add stuff in (I've seen them do it), but I'm really not seeing how this is possible if the merchandise didn't come from Mattel or one of Walmart's regular vendors. Something screwy here...
    I don't work for WM but there are retail chains that go out to outlets and clearance sales and do stuff like this. An area manager can do something like this and input it into the individual store's system. I am not saying this is the case here but there are scenarios that make this a possible explanation.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

It's just too bad Mattel doesn't (or hasn't since the failure of the DC/He-man 2 packs) make a more concerted effort to get these into retail stores. Obviously Roboto here is doing well and this is only at one store! Imagine if waves of these figures began to appear at many, many retail stores, like in the old days during a line wide roll out. Why wait for a movie year Mattel? Are you averse to making money?!
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Wal-Mart stores are allowed to work with local vendors (like someone mentioned about local high school merchandise). I really don't think these items just appeared becuase a local manager loves MOTU though, or most likely they would be on these boards. Most likely Mattel sold these to a vendor and the vendor sold them to Wal-Mart.

To comment on Sygian360's post: Mattel is getting the brand back out there slowly without it costing them money. They have been licensing MOTU a lot more recently for different products especially for the 30th anniversary. I think they are doing the same strategy that DC Comics/Warner Bros is doing with Justice League. They know a movie is coming up so you see a lot more Justice League merchandise being licensed for sale too. Maybe Mattel is hoping the MOTU movie will finally get its wheels moving and so they are slowly supporting the brand now.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    This makes me so angry. I need to know how these Gygors really appeared at Wal-Mart!
    May I ask why?
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

The Mighty Specter strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    May I ask why?
    I need to know every business decision Matty makes even if it has no affect on me

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    Why won't someone Speak to the toy department manager, or the hard lines zone manager, of that store? They could tell you how this happened. We don't have to be shy.

Tron or someone close, would you be willing to ask if you go back?
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

I need to know every business decision Matty makes even if it has no affect on me
    Oh SCB... Please change your title back to Heroic Master of Sarcasm
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoShek View Post
    Why won't someone Speak to the toy department manager, or the hard lines zone manager, of that store? They could tell you how this happened. We don't have to be shy.

Tron or someone close, would you be willing to ask if you go back?
    Yeah, ask him when they are gettin more in, see what he says.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!