Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This For Real? MOTUC appearing at Wal-Mart... [No b/s/t Outside Marketplace]

Heroic Warrior
    As cool as it would be to walk into a walmart or target and see a shelf full of MOTUC...im against MOTUC going retail unless its accompanied by a movie or cartoon. aside from us hardcore collectors i can't see kids lining up to buy these. Sure they might say wow this looks cool and then keep walking. This stuff would sit on the shelves for months only to be discounted, then followed by retail stores dropping this line. Then again what the heck do i know!!

I agree I wouldn't want MOTUC at retail, but I have no problem with them selling old stock at retail.

Court Magician
    Ok, I gave in and drove 78 miles to this Walmart. There are easily more Gygors than Robotos. I picked up one Gygor for myself and four Robotos for friends and myself. At least half of the Robotos I checked had cracked breast plates. The receipt had each figure's name listed.

Why did I drive so far? I asked myself that the whole way there and then afterwards on the trip from Moreno Valley to visit a friend in Las Vegas (huge road day). My answer is simple: I had not bought an exclusively MOTUC product at retail before. It was nice to do that.

We have all been there. I can't tell you how many random places I have gone for a toy. Just feel lucky you live in the right state. Lord knows if these will make it out widespread. I knwo I am going out today and wal mart wasn't on my places to go list but it made it. Luckily mine is all of 6 miles away and all. This is a bad thing but eh. Nothing we can do to stop them if they sold off all their supposedly sold out stuff to whoever would empty the warehouse. i figure a mass amount of this will happen over time and I blame Castle Grayskull. Think about the amount of space they will need for these things to sit while they get slips put on them to go out into the world. Even if it is just for a couple days they still have to have the room and keep from renting other space to make sure they make the money on them. If I were getting in a box the size to hold this glorious thing times how many thousand I would start planning right now to find ways to clear up real estate in my current warehouse to put these wonderful playsets made for us.
    So if they need to get rid of them this way and cut down on boxes they need to ship them out and work time to get them shipped out and so on. Well then so be it. As long as the castle gets in the place and then heads it s way to me and everyone else. Cool. I will post if I find anything. Can't post pics of the inside as I don't own that kind of phone. Track makes cam phones but I own a camera Enjoy the hunt any who are and sorry to anyone who is mad and I pray a Shadow Weaver or other sub exclusive doesn't show up at retail. That would be the only real thing the world would have to freak out about. Cause that was the one thing they said would never and can never be re put out. Gone for good should mean it.
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Quote Originally Posted by Romadon View Post
    As cool as it would be to walk into a walmart or target and see a shelf full of MOTUC...im against MOTUC going retail unless its accompanied by a movie or cartoon. aside from us hardcore collectors i can't see kids lining up to buy these. Sure they might say wow this looks cool and then keep walking. This stuff would sit on the shelves for months only to be discounted, then followed by retail stores dropping this line. Then again what the heck do i know!!
    And here's where I'd like to share a story. One of the girls I work with has a 4 year old son, who loves playing with his dads 80's Masters stuff. So much so a few broke. I got a Stratos as my Frosta "gift" and gave it to her for her son's Christmas. I got a picture Christmas day of him playing with it followed by the caption "One of the first things he played with". Kids will buy this stuff and play with it, even the clunkers we collectors care little for.

***. I have been waiting for a Roboto to go back on the site, and now they are at a Wal-Mart?! He's one of the last figs I need to catch up, as I got to the party late, but aftermarket prices have been lame. Now, he's clearing out next to Gygor. I'm...a little sad.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaMach View Post
    ***. I have been waiting for a Roboto to go back on the site, and now they are at a Wal-Mart?! He's one of the last figs I need to catch up, as I got to the party late, but aftermarket prices have been lame. Now, he's clearing out next to Gygor. I'm...a little sad.
    Yeah, the same for me, I would buy it from matty even on regular price if they would sell it online, and now this.
    Its just sad

I lived in the Moreno Valley area for 8 years. I can say that there is a "Mattel Toy Store" in San Bernardino, CA about 20 miles north on I-15. They cleared out some MOTUC in the retail MTS about 3 years ago (He-Ro, Skeletor, King Randor). I bought those figures there for $10 each.

I can see why they chose this Wal-Mart to clear them out. Its a relatively highly trafficked store in a decent area close to the shipping facility in Ontario. The Wal-Mart's in San Bernardino are in the GHETTO.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Well if you zoom in on the pic, you can see that they are priced at $16. This picture looks 100% legitimate, and it is a huge slap in the face to US and Canadian consumers.

I'm not one to complain about a characters face sculpt (or some of the other silly issues that pop up here), but this is really uncool to know that these figures are being offered online at $22 or $30 + shipping, only wind up in stores at this price. Knowing Wal-Mart if they do not sell, they will be blown out at virtually nothing. I have neither Roboto or Gygor.

These are being sold at almost half of what I have had to pay for my figures. Wal-Mart would NOT invest money in a dead brand without the guarantee for profit. How much do you think Wal-Mart payed for these? Probably $5 each, maybe less.

So what are we seeing? The beginning of MOTUC returning (doubtful) to retail stores? Or Mattel's attempt to recoup huge losses and keep it completely from the loyal consumers (who subbed, bought multiples of figures, and endured countless issues, website crashes, shipping errors, defective figures, the list goes on) eyes?

This is really, really uncool....... Did I mention my Faker showed up with visible paint damage?

Dear Scott ToyGuru Neitlich, I think you owe me a Roboto, shipped, for free. While you're at it, toss in a Gygor too. Perhaps you can even toss out a few figures to other registered orgers that have stayed on board with this line for years, and paid out hundreds/thousands of dollars to support this line and Mattel.

Thanks.
    Not seeing the issue here. Your argument is that you payed full price on Matty and now they are clearancing them out well after they were sold and appeared more than once in the re-releases of old stock and the special sales. By this logic, ANY item that goes on sale eventually is a slap in the consumers face if said consumer picked it up at full price.

Fans have had multiple chances at these, and Mattel apparently still has enough left to sell to Wally World to clear them out so Mattel can get something back on them. I'm about as far from a Mattel apologist as you can get, but in this case I fail to see why there's a problem.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Court Magician
    I am sorry and embarrassed from my previous posts at mattycollector. I'd guess this means Mattel is falsely advertising to us that this is a collectors line. I still wish Mattel had sent me my Roboto without a "The Original" tag on my Roboto when he arrived in my subscription. This really bums me out.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Fans have had multiple chances at these, and Mattel apparently still has enough left to sell to Wally World to clear them out so Mattel can get something back on them. I'm about as far from a Mattel apologist as you can get, but in this case I fail to see why there's a problem.
    That's not entirely true, I myself have been waiting for Roboto to be offered again since I started collecting MOTUC approx. a year and a half ago but have never seen him available. Maybe I somehow missed him but I can say that I have a sub and have purchased product during every sale event since I started and haven't seen him. Roboto, Wundar and Zodac are the only figures I'm missing so it's not like I haven't been diligent in my pursuit of the older figures either. In my opinion, people are kind of upset because this is one figure that hasn't been made available to get caught up on like many of the other earlier figures so it seems like we are being slighted by the fact that whatever stock was still available has now been sold off without giving us a chance at it first.

If we are responsible for keeping the line going every year then why not have a little more transparency when it comes to things like this? A simple message of "hey guys, here is your last chance to buy Roboto & Gygor before we liquidate excess inventory!" Granted this would be an unusual thing for a company to do but I think we can acknowledge that MOTUC is a unique fan driven line which would not be still going if it weren't for an incredible fan base (see all fan made videos to drive 2013 subs).

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factorz View Post
    That's not entirely true, I myself have been waiting for Roboto to be offered again since I started collecting MOTUC approx. a year and a half ago but have never seen him available. Maybe I somehow missed him but I can say that I have a sub and have purchased product during every sale event since I started and haven't seen him. Roboto, Wundar and Zodac are the only figures I'm missing so it's not like I haven't been diligent in my pursuit of the older figures either. In my opinion, people are kind of upset because this is one figure that hasn't been made available to get caught up on like many of the other earlier figures so it seems like we are being slighted by the fact that whatever stock was still available has now been sold off without giving us a chance at it first.

If we are responsible for keeping the line going every year then why not have a little more transparency when it comes to things like this? A simple message of "hey guys, here is your last chance to buy Roboto & Gygor before we liquidate excess inventory!" Granted this would be an unusual thing for a company to do but I think we can acknowledge that MOTUC is a unique fan driven line which would not be still going if it weren't for an incredible fan base (see all fan made videos to drive 2013 subs).
    I have been buying since King Hiss, which was almost two years ago. I have bought one of everything that has been offered in regular releases, rereleases, and special sales (except for Whiplash, which the twice he has been offered since I began collecting he disappeared within something like 30 seconds). The only two figures that I've purchased outside mattycollector are Wundar and Preternian Disguise He-Man. I now have almost everything, and Roboto is one of the few that I do not have. So I can confirm that mattycollector has not offered him since before March of 2011.

That being said, as much as I want to add him to my collection, this isn't a big deal to me. Toyguru recently said that they had some very small stock of old figures, too small of an amount to offer on mattycollector, that they would find other means to clear out. I would have preferred some of this had found its way into the Frosta gifts, but apparently they decided it was easier to use the Walmart close to their warehouse. I'll just find him another way.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factorz View Post
    "hey guys, here is your last chance to buy Roboto & Gygor before we liquidate excess inventory!"
    They DID that. More than once or twice.

And by the way, as "Maradona" has stated, lots of those Robotos offered there have cracked chests. I can imagine the uproar of some org-members if these were sold at full price day off.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I'm angry because I didn't buy the re-issue Roboto when he was on Matty and now I can't not buy him at retail

Checked at wal mart way on the other side of the country and not only do they not have them, I took 8 diff UPCs from the randoms I have opened and no scan would recognize them. Said please see associate and when I had her scan one with the gun it didn't register as existing. So not on this coast as yet. But i will keep on looking
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

I love the "hunt" for toys but don't bother running around wal-marts looking for motuc.Don't waste your time.

meh 78 miles is nothing.

Snappy Threader
    I would drive 78 miles to get a Roboto and Gygor at the Wal-Mart. Might even have my buddy put his teeth back in before we go.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    And here's where I'd like to share a story. One of the girls I work with has a 4 year old son, who loves playing with his dads 80's Masters stuff. So much so a few broke. I got a Stratos as my Frosta "gift" and gave it to her for her son's Christmas. I got a picture Christmas day of him playing with it followed by the caption "One of the first things he played with". Kids will buy this stuff and play with it, even the clunkers we collectors care little for.
    I don't doubt kids with play them, heck u give a kid any free cool looking toy they'll play with it. But is giving a kid your free stratos enough for him to talk his mom into buy more of these figures even at those walmart prices? That's the question. My son and daughter have at least 10 MOTUC figures together...they think their cool, they play with them once in awhile. We've gone to toy r us and they've come across the two packs...looked at them and moved on.

IMO, the only kids who would be buying these r kids who probably have a dad who is also interested in MOTUC...but i dont think those numbers are enough to warrant a mass retail launch.

we need media!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I'm angry because I didn't buy the re-issue Roboto when he was on Matty and now I can't not buy him at retail
    Oh SCB... I always appreciate your sarcasm
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Oh SCB... I always appreciate your sarcasm
    Me too. Always great for the lolz.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Ok, I gave in and drove 78 miles to this Walmart. There are easily more Gygors than Robotos. I picked up one Gygor for myself and four Robotos for friends and myself. At least half of the Robotos I checked had cracked breast plates. The receipt had each figure's name listed.

Why did I drive so far? I asked myself that the whole way there and then afterwards on the trip from Moreno Valley to visit a friend in Las Vegas (huge road day). My answer is simple: I had not bought an exclusively MOTUC product at retail before. It was nice to do that.
    You sir are an addict and need counselling.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    You sir are an addict and need counselling.
    We all relapsed hard on MOTU at one point.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

So... why not get this Roboto's a free gifts for the Frosta's or on the black friday sale?
    And nobody from Matty has shown up to comment on this... This is one more thing to put on my list of Dissapointments
    Last edited by Hellvertz; January 3, 2013 at 08:35pm.
    Ya Tengo El Poder!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lemure77 View Post
    Checked at wal mart way on the other side of the country and not only do they not have them, I took 8 diff UPCs from the randoms I have opened and no scan would recognize them. Said please see associate and when I had her scan one with the gun it didn't register as existing. So not on this coast as yet. But i will keep on looking
    Yea don't you love when someone posts a pics of buying them knowing people will want them but they NEVER post where they are OR if they can help out people thart REALLY want/need them it goes on deaf ears...