Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -= Anyone Into Canning? =-

-= Anyone Into Canning? =-

We have a gardening thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=206484

but no canning thread. I was wondering if anyone is into canning? I grow a bit of produce and use canning to preserve my produce and to also do a lot of jams and pickles. I was wondering who else cans?

Here are a few pictures of some of my canning. More can be found under the pictures on my gardening and canning blog:

Link to the gardening blog:
    http://clawsongarden.blogspot.com/

Yes indeed, I can also, but I tend to freeze more often. BTW your canning looks awesome! I am hungry!!! What all have you canned?
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    My mom cans tomatoes. It's semi-disturbing when she cuts them all up, because it looks like a crime scene.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

This year I didn't can as much due to having to save so many of my vegetables for the State Fair, but I have canned some tomatoes.

As far as freezing, I have put up and froze blackberries, squash, zucchini, green cabbage, red cabbage, squash casserold, kernel corn, corn on the cob, peppers, butternut squash, etc.

***And how much would you charge for some of your canned goods? I am not sure what is in the 1st and 4th pics, but they look so appetizing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    ***And how much would you charge for some of your canned goods? I am not sure what is in the 1st and 4th pics, but they look so appetizing!!!
    Nothing, like you mentioned in your thread, I give them away to family and friends. I am not interested in making money, just having people enjoy what I can.

In the first picture is a veggie mix that is a bit spicy. I didn't put enough alum in it so the veggies aren't that crunchy. It always seems like a balance between a slight bit of alum, and too much alum where it tastes bitter.

The forth picture of some canned cherries in light syrup from my trees.

Yes indeed, I can also, but I tend to freeze more often. BTW your canning looks awesome! I am hungry!!! What all have you canned?
    I can a lot of pickled stuff mostly like spicy dilly beans from the things I grow here and of course pickles. This year I added the "Ghost Pepper" to some of my pickles which I have been calling "Death Pickles."

Jams are always good to can for me. I have fruit but not the kind I like to make jams with. My dad grows a lot of raspberries and strawberries so I make jam with those.

The canned cherries and stuff really goes to my mom and others who enjoy them. I have a lot of cherries and I can either let them drop on the ground, let the racoons climb up my trees to eat them, or let others enjoy them.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I don't do it specifically, but my family always cans beans, tomatoes, apple butter, and a few preserves.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

When I was a child my mother canned everything. It was so hot in the house. I loved my mom's strawberry rhubarb jelly. From what I've seen & witnessed canning is no joke. Lots of hard work goes into it. Those veggies look awesome by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    When I was a child my mother canned everything. It was so hot in the house. I loved my mom's strawberry rhubarb jelly. From what I've seen & witnessed canning is no joke. Lots of hard work goes into it. Those veggies look awesome by the way.
    Yeah it is a lot of work. I like to do multiple cans a day just because I have everything boiling, the equipment is out, and I can get all the windows open (it does really heat up the entire house).

My mom made strawberry rhubarb jam and it was always so good. I've never made it but maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I don't do it specifically, but my family always cans beans, tomatoes, apple butter, and a few preserves.
    Apple butter........ahhhhhhhhhhhh my mother in law showed me how to make it and let me try some just last year. That stuff is amazing. Now where is the drool emoticon?

Wow!! Did you have to use a pressure cooker for the dilly beans? Did you use the Ball Blue book or some other for recipes.

I'm all about the jams and preserves though. I'm not ashamed to say I love my strawberry rhubarb preserve on Fage Greek yogurt.

Dilly beans will have to wait another year. I have fig preserve on my short list.

What do you do with so many preserved jalapenos!?! The jars are so big!!
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Wow!! Did you have to use a pressure cooker for the dilly beans? Did you use the Ball Blue book or some other for recipes.
    I have a pressure cooker but for those dilly beans I just gave them a hot water bath since they are pickled to begin with, just enough to seal the tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    What do you do with so many preserved jalapenos!?! The jars are so big!!
    They are slightly pickled. I used quart jars because that is what I had left at the end of the season. I use them on top of nachos and to put them in tacos, enchiladas, etc...

Thanks for the comments.

Yesterday I picked 110 pounds of apples and we made 56 pints of applesauce. it took forever to prep and can this amount of applesauce. You can read more about it here:

http://clawsongarden.blogspot.com/

Last edited by nutnog; September 1, 2011 at 02:20pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wow. That's impressive. So far I've only canned some home made apple butter and some cakes around the holidays. A few years back I made gingerbread and spice cakes and sealed them in mason jars fresh out of the oven. They stayed nice and moist for months in the jars.

That's a whole lotta applesauce. I would have hated to peel and cut all of those. Well worth the effort though.

I was seriously thinking about this. How odd that there is a thread now

However my toms look green and I dunno if they will ever be ready.

It might be a project for me to do next yea. I dunno.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by spectroscott View Post
    Wow. That's impressive. So far I've only canned some home made apple butter and some cakes around the holidays.
    mmmmmm apple butter...

Quote Originally Posted by spectroscott View Post
    That's a whole lotta applesauce. I would have hated to peel and cut all of those. Well worth the effort though.
    I didn't peel them. I just washed, cored, boiled them down, then strained them through a colander before canning.

Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by nutnog View Post
    I didn't peel them. I just washed, cored, boiled them down, then strained them through a colander before canning.

Thanks for the comments.
    There aren't bits of peel in the applesaurce?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes Vincent Price's Avatar
    My parents have wild blackberries on their property, been making their own jelly for years.

Other than that, not really.
    Old people used to annoy me at weddings by pinching my cheeks &
    saying that you are the next.
    They stopped doing that when I started doing the same to them at funerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Price View Post
    My parents have wild blackberries on their property, been making their own jelly for years.

Other than that, not really.

I'm totally doing that next year. I thought about it this year but by the time my mind actually got into gear it was too late and the berries were gone. But yeah I'm down for it.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    There aren't bits of peel in the applesaurce?
    No, I used a colander to strain it all out after they boiled down. It worked much better than pealing all of them plus the raw apples aren't exposed to the air and brown up so quickly since they get cored and immediately go into the pot to boil down.

No, I used a colander to strain it all out after they boiled down. It worked much better than pealing all of them plus the raw apples aren't exposed to the air and brown up so quickly since they get cored and immediately go into the pot to boil down.
    Ah! This is a good idea.

Did you put anything into them? spices? anything?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I just canned a bunch of grean beans today

Yesterday I picked 110 pounds of apples and we made 56 pints of applesauce. it took forever to prep and can this amount of applesauce.
    Wow!! Impressive!

I just canned a bunch of grean beans today

Wow!! Impressive!
    Any pictures of your green beans we can see?

Thanks for the comments, it was a lot of work but it will be worth it.

Did you put anything into them? spices? anything?
    I didn't do anything but a little sugar to sweetening it up a bit.

Any pictures of your green beans we can see?
    Here is a pic of a few of the green beans that I canned

After 14 hours, my Homeade Apple Butter is finally finished cooking and has now been canned

Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; October 5, 2011 at 06:55am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have no advice for you. But my mom canned all the time when I was a kid. Let me email her & I'll let you know what she says. As for me I always remembered getting everything out of the garden and helping sort everything. I hated snapping beans. And the house was always hotttt! I'll get back to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. My mom said salt. She puts them in water until the skin starts to peel. 2-3min Take out and put in ice water then peel the tomato in quarters & put in jars. Add salt and seal with hot lids. Then she puts them in the pressure cooker & brings it to the right amount of pressure. Turn off stove & let pressure cooker return to zero then remove jars. Hope that helps.

Movie mayhem!
    Duuude... you should learn how to can meat like the amish do. it sounds crazy and I want to know if its as good as they say. Plus... it would give you some major "cred"

I have a plethora of tomatoes this year and instead of wasting I decided to can them. Okay fine. I figured out how to do it, hot bath n' all that jazz, HOWEVER there is HUGE debate on the net about adding lemon juice or rather salt only. OMG I can't get a straight answer to save my life. I see that the old timers way was to add salt. So I bought special canning salt. And then on the net people are like NO yo ucan't do that cause you will DIE. The toms don't have enough acid and hence can cause botulism if you just add salt.

I honestly dont know what to do. I asked my mother and she said she remembered just throwing salt in there but she wasn't sure and it was over 20 years ago.

Can anyone help?
    You should have known to ask me. lol. I can every year due to my bountiful garden harvest.

And yes, use lemon juice....or you might die (or at least get really sick). Yes, salt is the oldtimer's way, but some of them got sick and died and that is why the USDA and NCHFP adapted the guidelines to now use lemon juice instead of salt.

You should have known to ask me. lol. I can every year due to my bountiful garden harvest.

And yes, use lemon juice....or you might die (or at least get really sick). Yes, salt is the oldtimer's way, but some of them got sick and died and that is why the USDA and NCHFP adapted the guidelines to now use lemon juice instead of salt.

You're right. I just should have sent you a pm

Well, here's another question for ya. I canned them. The lids are tight. I did the finger test, no pop back up. BUT there is liquid forming in the bottom. Do you think they are safe t oeat? there is some movement in the jars. I'm wondering if I didn't pack them well enough.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.